Driving Hours 2018

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woohoo! Today I had the time and the helpers to take the boys out as a pair with my new team pole for my Mullet buggy. It took a little time to get everything adjusted, but the boys stepped off smartly and drove really well together. I’m one really proud mom!

Sundance Kid and Butch Cassidy 55 mins

8D377A30-8B33-4A9E-A5C7-489DD550946F.jpeg

15 minutes ground droving yesterday and 40 minutes hitched today, both with Peanut. Thanks MC ?

Peggy the team looks great.  I still can't figure out how holdbacks work with a pair.  I tried to sort it out from your picture but can't.  I think it must be one of those things you have to "do" in order to get the idea! 

15 minutes ground droving yesterday and 40 minutes hitched today, both with Peanut. Thanks MC ?

Peggy the team looks great.  I still can't figure out how holdbacks work with a pair.  I tried to sort it out from your picture but can't.  I think it must be one of those things you have to "do" in order to get the idea! 
Thank you! They are not the same size or build, and their colors sure as heck don’t match, but they love going out together and usually are matching strides. I really enjoy driving them together.

The holdbacks on a pair do not connect to the pole. On this harness, the holdbacks have clips on both ends. One end clips to the breeching, the other clips to a ring on the martingale just behind their front legs. Draft horse people call these “belly backers”. On my Camptown freedom collars, there is a fixed ring behind the swivel trace attachment. The holdbacks go from the breeching to this ring. Draft horse people call these “side backers”. Pleasure people don’t use these terms (at least in my experience) . Either way, the holdbacks connect to the collar, not to the pole. I’ll see if I have better photos of each setup. 

DISCLAIMER: I am a self taught driver and pairs driver. I learned and taught my boys how to drive from books, photos, the internet, and Facebook groups. I think I have taken 2-3 lessons in my 20 years of driving. I’m not saying it’s correct, but I usually get the job done. And my boys don’t know any better!?

Thanks for the explanations Peggy!  

20 minutes of!driving Peanut hitched. ! We had a seabreeze!today.  I!took advantage of the break in the heat wave to drive.  He!was!bouncy.   

Hi there ? We enjoyed holidays in northern Europe and returned back to Switzerland last week... I picked up the horses at their holiday residence on tuesday. They enjoyed their time of doing nothing too ? and I introduced them to the training on thursday. They have all a lot of motivation, a few bad habits (little bullheaded Teddy wanted to protract his holidays by eating grass all the time...) and are a bit out of shape, but it doesn't matter!

My hours of driving:

thursday, july 12: 50 minutes of team driving Teddy/Massai, 30 minutes of ground driving for Moony
friday, july 13: 2 hours for the team Moony/Massai, 1 hour for Teddy
saturday: 1 hour for Moony/Massai, 30 minutes of ground driving for Teddy
sunday: 1 hour for Moony, 90 minutes team driving Teddy/Massai
monday: 30 minutes for Teddy

Back