Driving Discussion 2024

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am concerned that Billy's heels are being trimmed incorrectly. All set to take some quick videos and pictures today and it decides to rain! My dil is a barefoot trimmer, and believes she can give me some advice if I send her pictures. Maybe tomorrow...

I had my hands full with Falcor the hackney yesterday so I didn’t get any pictures of everyone else driving the littles. One-Eyed Willy had a new, younger driver. I hadn’t told them that Willy didn’t canter in harness - he’s not mine, so he got pushed to canter. Unfortunately he got into a bad habit of bucking when being curled with a whip. His driver got kicked in the hand. Thankfully he’s ok!! But I’m thinking pony needs to get into my harness with bucking strap into my K-cart and have a bit of an understanding drive…

I had my hands full with Falcor the hackney yesterday so I didn’t get any pictures of everyone else driving the littles. One-Eyed Willy had a new, younger driver. I hadn’t told them that Willy didn’t canter in harness - he’s not mine, so he got pushed to canter. Unfortunately he got into a bad habit of bucking when being curled with a whip. His driver got kicked in the hand. Thankfully he’s ok!! But I’m thinking pony needs to get into my harness with bucking strap into my K-cart and have a bit of an understanding drive…
Yikes! Things happen around equines. Hope it didn't put the young driver off.

Glad everyone is ok

Got new stuff in yesterday!!! When Jasmine got her harness upgrade, it had a crappy neck strap with it for some reason. So we got a new one in her teal. I also got Phillippé and Falcor driving halters with buckles over the nose. Aaaand I got my littles harness quarter sheets so they can get haircuts and still drive comfortably. Jasmine also got a new winter blanket.
Although I’d ordered these things two months ago, the timing for delivery worked out as the littles were so good for their radio station appearance, they deserve some spoiling!
E122FAB0-816A-4E12-A99C-1D75B4B51585.jpeg7B8C38AC-1C7E-4554-A71A-4D276833BDD4.jpeg

I am concerned that Billy's heels are being trimmed incorrectly. All set to take some quick videos and pictures today and it decides to rain! My dil is a barefoot trimmer, and believes she can give me some advice if I send her pictures. Maybe tomorrow...
My sister helped me take pictures of Billy's hooves today. I'm postponing the next trim from 4 weeks to 8 weeks. Took him to weigh and the news was not good --still at 320#. I could have sworn he is looking thinner but scales do not lie.

All the fancy new stuff looked great! Phillippe and I were totally HI-VIS yesterday for our drive. I will have the driving blanket sent back over the summer sometime to get it shortened. I did measure too long. Pretty minor problem. And our fancy new yellow driving halter was wonderful as well.
It was a warm but windy day. The sun came out the snow's been melting again, but the wind had a chill. I bundled up in my lap robe (how did I do things before this??! These things are amazing!) and away we went. Down to the neighbors' place, Phillippe told me something was going on outside. Indeed, a couple had just left and their adult daughter was outside with their springer spaniel. Springer had never bothered us before, but this time, with a person outside, it was determined to make a statement. It barked and barked in its yard and then came out on the road. As long as the animal is in the yard, there's nothing at all that we can do about it. But when it leaves the property and comes out to the road, now it's threatening my safety. Phillippe was such a good boy; he stood and waiting until the owner was able to get the dog back under control and took it inside. I thanked them. Phillippe got a half a candy cane after our drive for being such a brave little toaster (if you get that reference, you're awesome!) and then a grain snack before he got put away.

End of April we are booked to go to the largest equine trade show in Alberta, the Horse Expo. Phillippe and I are going to go with the Alberta Donkey and Mule Club - an organization we've spent a lot of time working with recently, and we'll also demo for the Alberta Carriage Driving Association. No doubt it's going to be busy, but I think we'll have a blast.

Phillippe seems to have a sore back foot again. This happened previously over the winter and really stumped me what's happening. I suspect now he's got some bruising from the road. We haven't been going far on the road yet, but I haven't been putting his road boots on either. I think that's the culprit so I'm going to give him some time off, treat with coppertox anyways in case he's got some thrush happening in his central sulcus, but then put his boots on before we get back up on the road. Poor little dude.

And my Falcor... I'm really looking forward to getting him working in an arena. The field is a great big space that I think just kind of gets the better of him. I don't think he'd ever in his life had so much open space as that and just can't help himself but have a good move around before he's ready to get to work and focus. First lap around the field we kind of just go and try to keep some bending conversation. Second lap I might be able to get some say about what's happening. By end of third lap, we can find the walk and do some work.
Sometimes it's disheartening but I keep reminding myself we have 16 years of his history to get through and I'm, no doubt, VERY different from his previous life.
My daughter and I watched a couple of Hackney pony show videos yesterday. She saw so many behaviors we've observed in Falcor on that video. He just honestly has been what he's been... He's not bad, broken or atypical whatsoever. He's just a pony from the fine-harness world.

Oh, I hope Phillippe's foot is better soon.
I had a phone conversation with my dil today; she is a certified farrier. I had sent her pictures of Billy's hooves. She made diagrams on the hooves and we went through each picture. My sister, who knows how to trim, was here with me. Of course, I know his diet is part of his issue (too much green grass) but he also has arthritis and is 20 years old. So, my dil explained what is happening to the hoof and some corrective procedures. My sister did some of the fixes; we sent before,during,after photos while working on him. It will be a gradual process of correction. I think I know what needs to happen for his feet now. Getting our present farrier on board probably won't happen, so I may need to find a new one. I'm trying to think of tactful ways to approach him!

My daughter actually had the inclination to drive her pony last night. Jasmine pony had the zoomies and Ali wasn't about to deter her from that at all! Her good friend and classmate was at the farm when we got up there last night and I offered her friend to drive One-Eye-Willy for her first time. She was happy to take me up on that offer. Ali originally said she would drive Falcor. No, not yet you won't. But we put the girls with the ponies and they had a blast. Recently Willy communicated his displeasure either with his own harness or vehicle or both, not sure, but he'd bucked and kicked the young man driving him in the finger! Well, I thought best to try him in my donkey's gear to ensure he's comfortable to pull with a new driver. Yup, worked a treat! No concerns, happy to motor around. He even offered canter 3 times, something he strongly opposed previously. The girls had a blast. Ponies got some good work and then got a bit of a Bemer treatment. That machine is wonderful. I'm so glad we decided to invest in it!
Willy Driving.jpgJasmine Ali Cheesey.jpg

My arena is finally dry! I got to go out for a drive with Jasmine's leasor and Phillippe to work in the arena and it was so fun! We traded little for a bit and I really had a blast with fancy little Jazzy pony. She's so agile and game to go. I just love how maneuverable she is. And she picked up both canter leads first try! Phillippe took a few tries with his right lead, but he got there too.
I got Phillippe shaved. It's two weeks until we head for the big 3-day trade show where we'll be demoing for the donkey club as well as the driving club, so it was time. I'm so pleased with his condition coming out of winter. I'm always so concerned about him being overweight - donkeys live on old straw, hopes and dreams it seems, but he's in good weight!
I didn't shave his forehead. His floof up there is my favorite thing in the world and I just couldn't take it off.

Phillippe Shaved.jpg

Well, I've been doing a little ground driving over the winter, just enough to be able to enter some online classes "Walk Only" dressage classes to alleviate the boredom. Some days it's just throw the harness on and video between the rain storms and crumby weather, but we get it done. Sometime more gracefully than others, lol. I was hoping to drive the May test. Was shooting for April but this mud is a bit much. We'll see. My goals are small, very small!
I have not posted much lately as things have been super hectic and stressful here with everyone health issues, including the minis (it all happens at once, right?) but I do check in and read up on everyone's adventures.

My arena is finally dry! I got to go out for a drive with Jasmine's leasor and Phillippe to work in the arena and it was so fun! We traded little for a bit and I really had a blast with fancy little Jazzy pony. She's so agile and game to go. I just love how maneuverable she is. And she picked up both canter leads first try! Phillippe took a few tries with his right lead, but he got there too.
I got Phillippe shaved. It's two weeks until we head for the big 3-day trade show where we'll be demoing for the donkey club as well as the driving club, so it was time. I'm so pleased with his condition coming out of winter. I'm always so concerned about him being overweight - donkeys live on old straw, hopes and dreams it seems, but he's in good weight!
I didn't shave his forehead. His floof up there is my favorite thing in the world and I just couldn't take it off.

View attachment 51542
So cute!

Latest posts

Back