Do You Think EINSTEIN Is A Dwarf?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do You Think EINSTEIN Is A Dwarf?

• Yes

Votes: 88 62.4%
  • No

Votes: 53 37.6%

• Total voters
I voted no and have not read all the comments. While i do not think he is a dwarf, he definitely have some conformational flaws that are not desirable and would geld him. I saw him on The View this morning and while I think he is cute and it's adorable that his "friend" is a Boxer...I really think that people that don't know anything about horses see TINY and that is what they "want". I do not agree with that kind of "public service" by promoting your "smallest stallion". But, that's just me...
default_rolleyes.gif

sorry about useing the word minimal. I meant that he would seem to have a minimal handicap, but could still live a fairly comfortable life. i may be wrong about that too. His belly seems a bit large so he may have some internal problems, but then again maybe not.

I don't think anyone on here would want him as a stallion. Dwarf or not, he does not have anything that could add to a breeding. The topic is "Do you think Einstein is a dwarf?"

I would just like to know what makes you think that?

Someone said "short neck"

What else?

Shelia, have you not been paying attention? Many have stated his head is some what larger than it should be, his neck is too short and he has a roach back. At this point and with out seeing him in person these are the points that people are using to give their opinion. I had a dwarf that's knees were "C" shaped to the side. When I took him down to U.C. Davis for x-rays in the back seat of my pinto hatch back. They told me there was nothing that could be done for him but I had a darn cute little dwarf.

Good grief-i'm pretty sure enough people have given their opinions as to whether or not they'd use him for breeding and why. We don't need to pick him apart anymore.

I know what people mean by using minimal dwarf but there is still no such thing. A horse either is a dwarf or not. Achondroplasia is as minimal as they come and he is not achondroplasia. So then what type is he? Minimal is not a type.

Again, I do not have an opinion as to whether or not he is a dwarf. I am not a scientist. I hear the dwarf gene has been isolated, is recessive, would take two recessive genes to be homozygous, yadda, yadda, yadda. Also hear the gene has not been isolated. Not enough info known to know if it is recessive, domininant, hetero, homo, or what, more yadda, yadda, yadda. I love genetics, I really do but honestly I will leave that up to the experts in the field. If there is currently no test to determine if Einstein or any other horse not blatantly obvious to be a dwarf but for good reason dwarfism is questionable I don't have anything to form an opinion on (which only happens rarely, i.e. Blue Moon). LOL. HOWEVER, I have formed the opinion that:

1. Jill means what she says and says what she means. My kind of person who does not beat around the bush. I cannot fault her whatsoever. If she comes across rude, fine. Sometimes people will ignore nice and the point is not taken.

2. Opinions are opinions, right or wrong.

3. After watching a youtube video today I feel the owners are really milking this. "He's so small, just so tiny, his little bones are fragile." For crying out loud, let's just tout them as porcelain dolls. Every little girl should add one to her Madam Alexander collection.

4. The book coming out is capitalism at its best. I am all for capitalism...but give my achey breaky heart a break Einy cannot have just any friend cause him wittle. Miniature horses ARE little and they can buddy up with all sorts of animals. My anatolian shepherds are bigger than some of my horses. Light bulb just came on, maybe I could write a book about the friendship between mine.

5. He has to be a LIBERAL HORSE. He went on THE VIEW today. I will just have to hear about that second hand. There aint enough Jack Daniels in Texas to make me watch that show. Gosh, I hope next we don't have to have him go back on THE VIEW to tell about him coming outta the closet. This is how I feel and even though I could care less/don't know if he is a dwarf I do have an opinion of those "ladies" on that show. Would not let my horse, dog, cat, scorpion, gopher, or barn rat be on that show. But money talks I suppose. Anybody that likes the show...fine by me, watch away, enjoy. You have the right to. I just frankly cannot stand it.

6. Apparently, the Disney thing is true. Went on Einstein's facebook page today and saw something about it. Did not stay on it long due to all the comments from the excited non-horsey people about him being so itty bitty cutie on The View.

7. Who knows if he is the world's smallest horse/stallion? Not everybody registers their horses or calls the news station. I have relatives that have relatives who had 8 pasture bred/pasture born foals in the last few weeks. They do not register. That's their business, not mine. Found out last week they had one born that weighed 10 pounds. Maybe they can get on Springer or Donahue.

8. Lastly, Einstein is related to some of my horses, so we have to love him. He's family. I think his sire is my mare's half brother. Oddly enough the first foal she had for me is 2 years old and only 24 inches tall. Well, really it is not so odd. She had a birth defect of locked up front legs, spent her first six weeks of life at Texas A & M Animal Science Hospital, went through an experimental surgery, had her middle growth plates fused, and steel rods put in her front legs. Her confirmation is absolutely ridiculous, she is tougher than a pine knot (not fragile like Einy), has looks that would mimmick Alf, is so independent she could care less if she has a buddy or not (often found out in her own little corner of the pasture, but every animal here respects her Godloveher little weird self), and can make even your worst day bright with her antics. Never would I promote her as something any farm would want born. But we had the option of giving her a chance or having her put down. Decision and $$$. Her next owner (if ever there is one) will have to show us they can give her a better life than we can. Yep, a sequel in the making. Publicists, writers, directors, c'mon I am still paying on the vet bill.

Bottom line is I do not think he is a dwarf and I do not think he is not a dwarf. I only wonder. If the owners can capitalize on the public being so misinformed about the correctness expected in a mini and become so enchanted like they do over all Disney movies well, what does the future hold? Remember all the Dalmations that ended up at the pound because everybody just had to have one?

DING! DING! DING! Folks, we have a winner! Hi-larious post!
default_new_rofl.gif

Again, I do not have an opinion as to whether or not he is a dwarf. I am not a scientist. I hear the dwarf gene has been isolated, is recessive, would take two recessive genes to be homozygous, yadda, yadda, yadda. Also hear the gene has not been isolated. Not enough info known to know if it is recessive, domininant, hetero, homo, or what, more yadda, yadda, yadda. I love genetics, I really do but honestly I will leave that up to the experts in the field. If there is currently no test to determine if Einstein or any other horse not blatantly obvious to be a dwarf but for good reason dwarfism is questionable I don't have anything to form an opinion on (which only happens rarely, i.e. Blue Moon). LOL. HOWEVER, I have formed the opinion that:

1. Jill means what she says and says what she means. My kind of person who does not beat around the bush. I cannot fault her whatsoever. If she comes across rude, fine. Sometimes people will ignore nice and the point is not taken.

2. Opinions are opinions, right or wrong.

3. After watching a youtube video today I feel the owners are really milking this. "He's so small, just so tiny, his little bones are fragile." For crying out loud, let's just tout them as porcelain dolls. Every little girl should add one to her Madam Alexander collection.

4. The book coming out is capitalism at its best. I am all for capitalism...but give my achey breaky heart a break Einy cannot have just any friend cause him wittle. Miniature horses ARE little and they can buddy up with all sorts of animals. My anatolian shepherds are bigger than some of my horses. Light bulb just came on, maybe I could write a book about the friendship between mine.

5. He has to be a LIBERAL HORSE. He went on THE VIEW today. I will just have to hear about that second hand. There aint enough Jack Daniels in Texas to make me watch that show. Gosh, I hope next we don't have to have him go back on THE VIEW to tell about him coming outta the closet. This is how I feel and even though I could care less/don't know if he is a dwarf I do have an opinion of those "ladies" on that show. Would not let my horse, dog, cat, scorpion, gopher, or barn rat be on that show. But money talks I suppose. Anybody that likes the show...fine by me, watch away, enjoy. You have the right to. I just frankly cannot stand it.

6. Apparently, the Disney thing is true. Went on Einstein's facebook page today and saw something about it. Did not stay on it long due to all the comments from the excited non-horsey people about him being so itty bitty cutie on The View.

7. Who knows if he is the world's smallest horse/stallion? Not everybody registers their horses or calls the news station. I have relatives that have relatives who had 8 pasture bred/pasture born foals in the last few weeks. They do not register. That's their business, not mine. Found out last week they had one born that weighed 10 pounds. Maybe they can get on Springer or Donahue.

8. Lastly, Einstein is related to some of my horses, so we have to love him. He's family. I think his sire is my mare's half brother. Oddly enough the first foal she had for me is 2 years old and only 24 inches tall. Well, really it is not so odd. She had a birth defect of locked up front legs, spent her first six weeks of life at Texas A & M Animal Science Hospital, went through an experimental surgery, had her middle growth plates fused, and steel rods put in her front legs. Her confirmation is absolutely ridiculous, she is tougher than a pine knot (not fragile like Einy), has looks that would mimmick Alf, is so independent she could care less if she has a buddy or not (often found out in her own little corner of the pasture, but every animal here respects her Godloveher little weird self), and can make even your worst day bright with her antics. Never would I promote her as something any farm would want born. But we had the option of giving her a chance or having her put down. Decision and $$$. Her next owner (if ever there is one) will have to show us they can give her a better life than we can. Yep, a sequel in the making. Publicists, writers, directors, c'mon I am still paying on the vet bill.

Bottom line is I do not think he is a dwarf and I do not think he is not a dwarf. I only wonder. If the owners can capitalize on the public being so misinformed about the correctness expected in a mini and become so enchanted like they do over all Disney movies well, what does the future hold? Remember all the Dalmations that ended up at the pound because everybody just had to have one?

Is it hot in here or is it just me?? ;)

We all have our opinions and that's what makes this forum so great! However this horse doesn't belong to any if us so there is nothing we can do about it no matter what our opinions are.

It's almost Easter so we all have to be nice or the bunny won't be coming to our houses!!!
default_sad.png

Thanks, Vickie
default_smile.png
I love your post
default_biggrin.png

Besides, I don't think the Easter Bunny could ever get past our alarm system and dogs
default_laugh.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I voted yes.

And frankly, it's astonishing to me that some people whom I considered knowledgable breeders say they don't see it. Wow, beauty most certainly is in the eye of the beholder.
I think there is a difference though between finding him conformationally not correct or what to strive for and being a dwarf. I have owned a dwarf and personally do not find him to be one from what I have seen online.

There are some key componants I see in dwarves I do not see in him at all. That said do I think he should be a stallion Nope.. do I think he is correct- Nope not even close. Is he what I would choose to use in a breeding program.. Nope not a chance.

However there are many minis out there I personally would not use for those things although like you said beauty is in the eye of the beholder
default_laugh.png

Thanks, folks, for participating and voting. I've found it interesting to follow...
default_yes.gif

I met with a client yesterday evening who happens to be a small animal vet. He and his wife had seen Einstein on TV and I had to laugh when they told me Einstein didn't look anything like the pictures of my horses
default_biggrin.png

In my opinion, Einstein is without a doubt....a dwarf. I am also amazed that there are still so many people who don't, or can't see the signs. Large head, short neck, roached back, extremely poor conformation overall. I agree with Jody, AMHA would definitely turn down permanent registration if ever requested.

I don't disagree that he is cute as a bug. But I wish every time someone happens to get an extremely tiny foal, they wouldn't jump on the publicity wagon & start campaigning the little one all over as "The World's Tiniest...Whatever". Why can't they just campaign them as what they are. It would do much more good to educate people about Dwarfs, and why they don't make the average person a good pet unless they are willing to spend lots of time, effort & money in the care that they will need.

Thanks, folks, for participating and voting. I've found it interesting to follow...
default_yes.gif

I met with a client yesterday evening who happens to be a small animal vet. He and his wife had seen Einstein on TV and I had to laugh when they told me Einstein didn't look anything like the pictures of my horses
default_biggrin.png
I hear Einstein comments from non-mini people as well. They are just making conversation (which is natural.) I just smile and and nod and say "yes, he is a LITTLE GUY, isn't he?"
default_wink.png

I'm torn on whether he's a dwarf or not, so I declined to vote.

I will say, if I had any animal that would allow me to quit my job and make money off he/she and get to spend lots of time showing off the animal and spending time with him/her, something I love doing anyway, spending time with my animals - I would do it in a heartbeat! Chance of a lifetime, I'd say, and I think it could easily be done in a way that was not cruel to the animal.

Obviously, I do think Einstein's a dwarf and I feel as some others have expressed. It is perplexing to me that some experienced breeders do not see the signs that are apparent to us
default_no.gif

As to making a living through animals, there's nothing explicitly wrong with that -- however, in this case, I feel what's going on is a disservice to our breed
default_unsure.png
Such a poor example is being held out as a reference. Also, it seems like if someone can quit their job and make a living off a little horse, time could be found to teach him to behave with some manners
default_wacko.png

How does anyone know that they quit their jobs to promote their horse? I looked, and could not find that info anywhere. I can't imagine, by ANY stretch, that Einstein is "paying the bills." But hey, what do I know. If he is, Alladdin is going back into TV star training! LOL

How does anyone know that they quit their jobs to promote their horse? I looked, and could not find that info anywhere. I can't imagine, by ANY stretch, that Einstein is "paying the bills." But hey, what do I know. If he is, Alladdin is going back into TV star training! LOL

I actually have no idea if anyone did/didn't quit their job - I was just saying IF I could do that, I surely would. Others have seemed to indicate that it's wrong to make money off this situation. I disagree, so long as the animal is being well treated/cared for. We put our animals through a lot of things that have the potential to be stressful/unsafe for them - showing, breeding, etc.

hey are having fun with his uniqueness and I think that is fine.
I do not consider him unique at all. There are many Miniature horses that are born small and stay really small. Many that have better conformation than this one. My daughter used to own a 26" stallion. He was so tiny when he was born, at least as tiny as Einstein. But his conformation was wonderful, a Multiple Supreme winner when he was shown. He could have been promoted too, as being so tiny. They say that Einstein is 20" now, but are they measuring him correctly? They are not horse people and my guess is, they do not know how to measure correctly. I will also guess he will end up around 25 to 26". Not unique at all.

I will also have to agree with Jill. If breeders can not tell that he is a dwarf, they should hold back on breeding their horses till they learn what a dwarf looks like.

http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=1163

He has a really roached back, a HUGH head with a small neck and high nostrils In this picture he also looks like he is heading to be on the crippled side.

This picture says DWARF loud and clear.

Guess I need to stop breeding then. I am perfectly aware of all of his conformational flaws and yet disagree with those who say he's a dwarf (I do think it's very possible he may be a carrier with a few characteristics peaking through). I think it's incredibly judgemental to be saying people who don't think he's a dwarf need to stop breeding when there is no test yet and almost everyone on here has agreed he is not breedin quality.

Back