Do You Think EINSTEIN Is A Dwarf?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do You Think EINSTEIN Is A Dwarf?

• Yes

Votes: 88 62.4%
  • No

Votes: 53 37.6%

• Total voters
I can't believe that anyone in there right mind would say that about all miniature horses!!
default_wacko.png
They need to get their facts straight before they print something that hurts the whole miniature horse world! Such a shame!

Bill

Good for you Tagalong, he sounds like a very happy and loved boy! Can we see a pic please
yes.gif

I have just found a frightening article in an Italian horse magazine about him:

Einstein isn't a dwarf, he is just small. Doctor Rachel Wagner, partner of Einstein's owner Judy, explained. Most mini horses are dwarfs and show several physical deformities, in other words they are not completely healthy but not Einstein, he is identical to a normal size horse, he is just 5 times smaller."

I am speechless!!

WOW... If that is an accurate quote, my opinion of the owners is really in the toilet. Really doing a disservice to our breed.

I have just found a frightening article in an Italian horse magazine about him:
Einstein isn't a dwarf, he is just small. Doctor Rachel Wagner, partner of Einstein's owner Judy, explained. Most mini horses are dwarfs and show several physical deformities, in other words they are not completely healthy but not Einstein, he is identical to a normal size horse, he is just 5 times smaller."
I am speechless!!
I believe they have just been given enough rope to hang themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am interested in writing to this magazine, I want to find out if it is a true quote as Jill said or if it is a translation error, in which case I would expect a pubblicated apology to miniature horses.

Not all big horse people can instantly recognize a dwarf. I know 2 ladies who owned big horses for years and they bought a mini from a "reputable" breeder, then found out from their vet when the mini had health problems what they really had on their hands. By then, they were attached to the little thing. They decided to keep it, try and find a companion for it, did everything. When they found out the internal health problems it would suffer would make its life abnormally short, they were furious! But boy, ask them what they think about the person who sold it to them and stand back for an earful.

So sad that the one horse that seems to be thrust into the spotlight for minis has to be this one. But it seems always the case. The weird and unusual seem to garner all the spotlight. PT Barnum made a fortune on that premise.

Let's not make assumptions. This old thread has already been brought back to life yet again to do more bashing, getting upset over something that could easily (and most likely) be attributed to something not under the owner's control is completely ridiculous.

A reply to minimor's reply to me a few days ago: it very much pertained to MY post. If we are going to pick at those who have posted things that do not answer the question of "is Einstein a dwarf?", there are pages of them before mine.

I don't think it's bashing. We're all passionate about our breed, and really, I do think the owners parading around such a poor example of a miniature horse -- and not just conformationally, but also behavior wise -- does a disservice to the breed and I don't appreciate it. It sounds like many others feel the same way. It's a valid point of view and is not bashing.

Some of it is definitely bashing, Jill. I know the thread was made to start good conversation on the topic and I know most, if not everyone has the best intentions for the breed in mind, which of course I cannot fault. But there have been many comments that have definitely crossed the line. You are right, it is a valid point of view that has been reiterated quite often on this thread, though most did not state it quite as politely as you just did and often went on to make unfair assumptions concerning Einstein's owners. I am not saying it ALL has been bashing, but you can not deny that there has been plenty of that as well. I will leave it alone now though-no more lectures from me on manners. I'm going to go look up pictures of chubby puppies. Nothing puts me in a better mood than chubby puppies
default_smile.png

Our little Cowboy - the resident dwarf/pet/mascot - is 10 years old this year - and yes, a stallion. Only because none of the local vets felt comfortable about sedating him in order to geld him as they were worried about his reaction to the anesthetic. Cowboy gets to wander around the yard as he pleases and has his "man-cave" deep in the rhododendrons. Even if he were able to get into the pasture with the mares, he could never breed them - he is too short and unable to rear up on his hind legs, anyway. They would have to lay down on their backs for him - and that is not going to happen! None of the mares take him seriously, anyway. He is happy. He is loved. He is sure he is the herd sire around here - who needs all those fancy bigger stallions? He will be cared for all his days - he has already lasted longer than many dwarves with his degree of foreleg and bite issues.

There is nothing sad about Cowboy still being a stallion...
default_yes.gif
There may be nothing 'sad' about your dwarf stallion still being intact, Thats your opinion I am not here to debate it.I certainly understand not gelding for medical reasons. I am not attacking you personally, However this dwarf I was referring to was very much indeed a sad case, in many ways. I was also referring to Einstein who IMO should be gelded IF he isnt for many reasons...One because to NOT geld for sole purpose to have the world smallest stallion title, who is going to represent the breed, as the smallest stallion, that title should go (IMO)to the conformationaly correct smallest stallion, not a dwarf. Which I believe he is.

Oh my, I'll probably regret posting this in the morning, as I can't remember if I've posted on this thread before or not. It was here then disappeared then resurfaced again. I have a dwarf, she was born here, yes, a product of bad breeding, she wasn't registered and hopfully unless I pass away first will remain here. She has just as many deformaties on the inside as out, and doesn't cycle, thank goodness. My vet keeps her comfortable. Do we love her yes, do we care for her, yes, do we promote her, NO! Many years ago when I first started educating myself on minis I decided to jump in, I bought two, when I took pictures into work to show them off one of the vets I worked for said, Wow you have two new arabs, I said no, I have two new minis. He said well I thought all minis were dwarfs! He was shocked as was I. My horses, home bred, have won many championships and I proud of them, I'm also shocked at what was posted about most minis being dwarves! That is simply not true, as most of us know. Maybe we should be more proactive and promote our good quality horses, such as with newspaper articles, demos, etc. and show the public what a true mini looks like. all horses bortn into this world need to be loved and cared for by the people that brought them into this world including dwarves. If this little guy is loved and cared for, great, I only wish his current owners would stop trying to promote him to the public.

Terry, you have said it!! We shouldn't really get upset about these people promoting what we consider to be not a good example when none of us promote our minis. Who has a champion, good charactered, healthy mini should get out there and promote it, not as the smallest but as the best. People love to hear about minis and see them do tricks. So come on! get promoting
aktion033.gif

For those who don't know- Horse Illustrated is doing a special edition on the American Miniature Horse in their May issue. Supposedly it will have:

"We will have a full comprehensive article including history, and popular uses, myths about small equines and Miniatures used in therapy"....

I will be very interested to see if they use Einstein in their article. Based on his current popularity, I am not sure they can get by not mentioning him but it will be interesting to see their take on his status. It would be a good chance to promote the conformation of a true representative of the miniature horse industry.

Terry, you have said it!! We shouldn't really get upset about these people promoting what we consider to be not a good example when none of us promote our minis. Who has a champion, good charactered, healthy mini should get out there and promote it, not as the smallest but as the best. People love to hear about minis and see them do tricks. So come on! get promoting
aktion033.gif
Really doubt the major media would have an ouce of interest. Wish that wasn't the case... They're looking for "extreme" examples and smallest corners that market. I think those of us who do parades, open shows, and drive in parks / public do the most to promote our breed to the public but that's not going to make it on CNN. I can't count the number of times people have been surprised that my minis look like "real horses", and I know so many of you have been told the same. Including at open horse shows where everyone there is a horse person, and most haven't seen a quality miniature horse.

For those who don't know- Horse Illustrated is doing a special edition on the American Miniature Horse in their May issue. Supposedly it will have:

"We will have a full comprehensive article including history, and popular uses, myths about small equines and Miniatures used in therapy"....

That's awesome
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif

Just curious - how tall IS Einstein??? Is he smaller than Bond Tiny Tim (registered at 18" I believe)?

ETA: I looked up Bond Tiny Tim and he was 19" in AMHA not 18".

Sadly people are drawn to the tiny ones. Everyone knows that 'ponies' exist and anything over 34" looks like a pony. People are drawn to the 'dog sized' ones. The only reason I got into minis is because I read a story about how a tiny mini was used as a seeing eye horse. She wore tiny childrens shoes and a dog harness. Thats exactly what I wanted and to this day when I hear of a mini horse, I think of that special adorable little fuzzy girl. I love my two minis but they are both above the 30" mark, hardly the size I drempt about. I get why you guys are so upset, but having just seen some recent video of him, I think he is adorable, happy, and loved. His flaws really aren't anything that stands out as freakish, and lot of people who don't have a conformation eye wouldn't even notice them. I don't think them promoting him is a bad thing, I think it's bringing peoples attention to the breed and from there, alot of them will learn about sizes, conformation, etc.

Einstein isn't a dwarf, he is just small. Doctor Rachel Wagner, partner of Einstein's owner Judy, explained. Most mini horses are dwarfs and show several physical deformities, in other words they are not completely healthy but not Einstein, he is identical to a normal size horse, he is just 5 times smaller." I am speechless!!

The key word here is: Doctor Rachel Wagner is a PARTNER of owner Judy. She is part of this nonsense that Einstein is a perfect little horse, buying and promoting him for the money that the media blitz, books and now games (OMG) that they are making off of this poor DWARF.

I am not sure about the validity of comparison with Bond Tiny Tim, who WAS indisputably a (bracheocephalic, I believe?) dwarf...though I suppose the 'precedence' of Bond Tiny Tim could be pointed out when/if claims are 'officially'made that Einstein is "the world's smallest stallion". Of course, they could claim "living" as a distinction. If you have seen photos of BTT, his dwarfism is abundantly clear.( I have an original magazine article[NOT from any miniature horse magazine!] my son brought home to me quite some years back, with photos and text, of an interview w/ C.M. Bond, about his breeding practices, along with pics of BTT and two of his (also obviously the same type of dwarf)sons--though as I recall, dwarfism was never acknowledged...);Naive to the practices of the internet, I posted it here once upon a time, and the image was 'appropriated' by others, I later came to realize...as the photos have since been posted by others w/o acknowledgement of how they came to have them.

Oh, yeah...if accurately quoted, that statement by the owner's partner is as untrue, and self-serving as can possibly BE, and removes any doubt as to the 'purity' of their motives in their self-serving promotion of the little animal...I mean, REALLY!!

Margo

Just curious - how tall IS Einstein??? Is he smaller than Bond Tiny Tim (registered at 18" I believe)?

ETA: I looked up Bond Tiny Tim and he was 19" in AMHA not 18".
I read an article Einstein was 20" at one year.

Margo - those photos and others of Bond Tiny Tim have been all over the internet for many years... and used by many people. So do not worry that you accidently spread anything that you shouldn't have.

tinytimgrown.jpg

bond_tiny_tim4.jpg

Latest posts

Back