Tips on Surcingle use

Discussion in 'Miniature Horse Forum' started by KLJcowgirl, Apr 8, 2019.

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk by donating:

1. Apr 8, 2019 #1

KLJcowgirl

KLJcowgirl

KLJcowgirl

Hello all! I recently purchased myself a surcingle. I read up as much as I can on what to do with them and how to use them, but sometimes reading and doing don't always translate for me. I think my favorite use was the sliding side reins. So I tried it out. I want to know if I'm doing it right or any tips y'all may have using a surcingle and any training aids. What are some good exercises you like?

Pictures attached below from a video I took. My reins.... are a bit redneck sooooo don't mind that. Another question I had is should I get her a bridle without blinders (or blinkers... whatever floats your boat) to do this with? And what would make some good DIY sliding reins? Is hay twine ok? Haha

Attached Files:

2. Apr 8, 2019 #2

Bluebell2

Bluebell2

Bluebell2

MHT Supporter MHT Supporter

Love the hay twine comment. It works for many things right? :) I used a lounge line that had a snap on each end to attache to the bit or halter rings, whichever you are using, and ran them through the rings on the surcingle for my lines. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will help you out.

KLJcowgirl likes this.
  3. Apr 8, 2019 #3

KLJcowgirl

KLJcowgirl

KLJcowgirl

Oh gosh I never throw it away! Haha I am always looking for ways to use it. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted