Dinky Doo

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heidi i love your vision of the pair of them at school - heaven help the teachers. LOL!!

I know the two we had this year are different sexes, but they are also totally different in character too. One is a naughty little madam, but has no fear and will be easy to deal with. The little boy is really friendly too, loves scratches, but is also nervous so will need more time and careful handling when learning anything new. As you know, we dont bother with headcollars until after weaning and funnily enough have found that the more 'nervous' foals are much easier and co-operative once things are gently explained and introduced, than the bold, cheeky ones. LOL!!

We are getting near the time for a foot trim. Madam is fine with just scratches, but it will be the first time for the little lad and I think he will be one who will need quietly catching and holding to learn that humans are not to be feared whatever they do, coz he is not that happy with anyone round his back end, but we shall see!

I love reading the tales about Dinky and Cam - I was wondering when the 'I dont want to follow Momma into the stable' stint would start - be warned it is a habit that may last a lifetime. We had a colt foal who just loved doing this, he would run into the barn with all the other mares and foals, entering everyone elses stable, hiding behind the mare concerned until we spotted him and chased him back out. Whereupon he would race off across the field again and tear round and round before returning to the barn hoping to find another stable open. His Momma never bothered about him, in fact she would have been quite happy for him to go and annoy one of the other mares. Eventually we just used to leave her door open and hide from view waiting his next mad dash. He'd come zooming back in, dive through the open door without realising that it was his own stable and we would shoot out and shut it. LOL!! One morning we found him running up and down the barn annoying the other mares and foals - he had jumped over the sheep hurdle used for his doorway!

Ok here comes the point of this story. LOL!! I sold Neil or Sir Neil as he was known soon after her was weaned (what a sigh of relief we all gave!) His new owner had a few problems (ha ha!) until she too gave up and left him to it. Everytime she needed to get him in she would open the gate from his field to the stable yard and call - his young companion came running, Neil too, companion filed politely into his stable for his feed, Neil........not on your nellie! He had to do the whole rush off againn out into the field and race round as he had always done. She managed to hide behind a trailer carefully placed beside the gate, so when he ran in, she could slam the gate behind him and trap him in the yard, where he would go round and round visiting all her big horses before finally giving up and entering his own stable! He also found that if he laid down on the floor he could squeeze under the field gate and let himself in to prance about the yard annoying and nipping the noses of her big stabled horses. HOWEVER, being determind to punish herself she returned to us the next year and purchased Neil's brother!! Same Momma, different Daddy - and as Ned proved to be as quiet and as easy as any mini could be, we blamed Neil's temperament on his Daddy! Both boys now live in Scotland with their happy owner after she moved up there, but she did say to me that she was thinking of offering Neil's services to the local shooting folk, coz she felt sure he would be perfect for racing round and round the moors up there putting up the grouse for the annual shoots!!

So as both Dinky and Cam have more than a little mischief in their make up, beware the habit that could follow!!

Must just add that if you went out into a field with Neil, headcollar in hand, he was absolutely no trouble to catch, it was only when given the chance to do a loose run in that the fun started. LOL!! It was all down to an excessive sense of humour.
default_yes.gif

Oh what a story Anna
default_laugh.png
I couldnt have had 2 so very different foals..her last boy was so quiet and layed back and took everything in his stride and still does..I love going to visit him he gives a few snuggles to say hello and is off again going about his buisiness..on the other hand missy moo or best known to us as Dinky doo is such a handfull of trouble
default_wink.png
lil minx..I swear she spends the whole night plotting how shes going to wind me up the next day..all ready for the wedding yesterday and thought id go give my lil sweetie a scratch and a kiss before i set off..big mistake..she decided she would go heck for leather round the paddock..get her dainty lil hooves as muddy as she could.. run at me and kick her back legs as high as she could right along side me..yes you can imagine..I now had an outfit plus fresh mud speckles from head to toe
default_rolleyes.gif
cant help but laugh at her though shes so switched on..wonder what she has in stall for me today
default_wink.png

some face shots so you can see her colour..she looks like an alpaca
default_wacko.png

038.JPG

silly billy

081.JPG

one of her strange colouring on her back

075.JPG

Oh note the new tyre feeders for my hay instead of nets..what a fab idea I love it..Thanks
default_aktion033.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha yea Im trying to encourage her to eat some foal creep but shes not having any of it..Might give the vet a call next week see if he can suggest some ways of getting a few more pounds on her what do you recon??..do you think I should change her name to skinny mini
default_laugh.png

another one of those special moments

010920111907.jpg

010920111910.jpg

WOW!! Where did you find the weather for those last two pictures? LOL!! But what brilliant pictures - lucky you had the camera handy just at the right time.
default_wub.png

Love the new pictures of the little Dinky minx - she's looking great.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

By the way, did you not realise that splatter spots on Wedding costumes are all the rage this year?

Oh they were last Thursday..my daughter takes some fab pictures but takes her forever to get them on the laptop for me to share ..I did nag her about those and she gave in yesterday and uploaded them at last..so a week old isnt too bad
default_rolleyes.gif
been practicing using my new camera but im no David Bailey
default_no.gif
even with all this state of the art technology I still get it wrong most of the time..the kids just laugh at me
default_wink.png
grrr..I remember doing the same to my mum with the newly invented video recorders..must be a sign of old age creeping up eh
default_laugh.png

Love all the new pictures! So sweet!

Thanks.. just for that I took some more
default_laugh.png

309763_2222207849197_1667744376_2289548_1170942805_n.jpg

309763_2222207889198_1667744376_2289549_128195325_n.jpg

look at those eyelashes..she only has to blink those at me i melt
default_wub.png
309763_2222207929199_1667744376_2289550_1190443164_n.jpg

LOL!! I love the one where she's hiding behind the tree (how did you manage to get it through last winter - the tree I mean not the picture!)

My doodle M has eyes like that - one look and i'm lost! LOL!!

M.jpg

3973894035_ab0bc7f074.jpg

She loves me too LOL!!

3974661574_0f9a682f97.jpg

Well when she's not trying to smother me!!
default_yes.gif

default_smile.png
Aww yes shes deff got that love me look in her eyes..great photos of you both too Anna
default_wub.png
..the tree is years old think I planted it about 12 years ago..it doesnt seem to grow much but always looks healthy and is very hardy looks great all covered with snow
default_yes.gif

biggrin.gif
wonderful photos!! Anna is right, the tree one is just so cute.

Anna your furry friend is adorable
laugh.gif

Morning Lindy.
default_saludando.gif

How are you doing down there in this wind? It was a bit rough up here last night, probably coz we are so high up and it is supposed to get worse today - at least we never flood, so suppose we must be thankful for that!

Problem I have is that daughter is supposed to be taking our lorry down to near Swansea this morning for its re-test (2 minor things that had to be corrected grrrrrr!), but I am sure she shouldn't be out with it on the road in this weather. Trouble is that you only have a limited time to do the work for the re-test and this is the last day coz we left the lorry with friend Andrew to check over a couple of non test things, so not sure what the 'official' position is if we phone to cancel today's appointment - may have to officially do the whole test again - more expense!!

Think I might phone the test centre and plead the safety angle in the hope that they might give us a day or two grace? If not, and she has to go, I shall worry myself stupid until she's home again.
default_unsure.png

Thanks for your compliments over my sweet M - dont ever believe that Labradoodles are non-shedding dogs - I have a little sign up in my kitchen saying "everything tastes better with dog hair in it" LOL!!

default_laugh.png
Haha I bet you do..she is beautiful though hairs and all..amazing how close we can become to our fury friends and not sure what it is with dogs but they just seem to get away with everything including snuggling up in bed and taking all the room up on the sofa
default_rolleyes.gif
I lost my poor girl to a gastric torsion a couple of years ago and i still miss her so much she really was my shaddow and my best friend..it all happened so qickly 1 minute we had her next she was gone..first i noticed she wasnt well she was standing in the rain not like her she didnt like to get wet
default_no.gif
I persuaded her to come inside and she collapased at my feet.. I looked at her gums and she was white..the vet arrived in record time.(it was Good Friday 9pm) but he was too late id lost her..all happened in less than an hour..treasure your time together its so so special
default_wub.png

heres a few pictures of my gorgeous girl

227027_1059893432063_1667744376_163187_2024462_n.jpg
228212_1059993314560_1667744376_163445_240560_n.jpg

9230_1168941958208_1667744376_443586_6292118_n.jpg
20957_1246735342994_1667744376_640931_3121174_n.jpg

default_saludando.gif
wow your foal has change heaps do you think he will go black

and your dog hes cool is he a french mastiff

Yes SHE
default_biggrin.png
has changed..shes become very chunky too but not much taller..dont think she will be black but very dark bay..he tail seems to be getting lighter and her mane is still black strange combo..I will try get some pictures of her tail later..Im sure there is alot of colour changing going to happen before she gets to her final colour though..my dog was a french mastiff yes..a douge de bordeaux the technical term
default_rolleyes.gif
SHE
default_biggrin.png
was a real softy not your average bull breed lol..I think I pampered her a lil too much as a pup...but theyr so cute I could help it
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back