Coyote Winds Knockout

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad to hear that Cody is starting to recover. :aktion033: Reading your first post had me terribly worried-- I know how much you love your boy!

I was thinking the same as CKC about Cody being at home, at least he is comfortable and knowing that you are there helping him helps his will to fight whatever is ailing him. Sending prayers for his complete recovery, keep up the good work!

Hi,

The vet is coming back as i don't think Cody is still well enough not to have the tubing. He did not graze but did eat a bit of mushed up apple, kind of like apple sauce but normal. At 3:30p.m he was playing with the water in the automatic watering bowl so I think he is thirsty. He wasn't doing that when I was tubing him. So vet is coming to check him and retube him. I'd rather be on the safe side.

Well, it sure sounds like he is TRYING anyhow, which is great. Maybe one more day with the tube?? If he is thirsty, can you tube him more often than you are maybe??

If you do need to keep him hydrated, maybe ask the vet about placing an IV port in his neck. You can give him bags of fluids every 1-2 hours.
I had to do this with my mini, Billy, when he was colicking. My vet was so sweet...she climbed up in my barn and strung one of my longlines to attach a huge IV bag to. She then sewed an IV catheter/port in his neck and I just needed to flush the port and change the IV bag. He ended up having to go to the hospital anyway, but I was glad we were able to keep getting him fluids (turns out it was a virus and the colic was secondary). We kept him confined in a 12' x 12' stall so it worked great.

Glad to hear Cody is doing well so far. Keeping good thoughts and prayers!
default_pray.gif
:

Update: vet came and put tube back in and it is sewed right into his nostril so he cannot pull it out. Vet said if he did he was houdini.
default_smile.png
Vet said he was more active and looked better. While vet was there Cody had a pee, a poo, and swallowed and vet was happy. He said as long as he poos and pees the toxin will leave his body. He thinks we caught it in time and the fact that I can tube him all day if need be is a plus. Only downside is my vet bill went up more.
default_wacko.png
: He is worth it though, may have to have a garage sale to pay for the vet bill so far.
default_wink.png
:

Barnbum just my movie collection alone would pay the vet bill. I have over 1200 of them. But I watch them alot. Also have a keyboard I never use that I paid $1000 for brandnew. Also we make miniature carts and if I sold a couple of them that would pay off the vet bill so far. :eek:

Hey, go Cody! He seems to be fighting hard! I will be praying for him, and for you too!

The is the first time I have had the chance this week to visit LB and so sorry to hear all you have been through! BUT soooo glad to hear he is doing better now! You will be in our thoughts/prayers! ((((HUGS))))

Barnbum I don't have a garden but I do spend a lot of time with my horses, especially my new mini mare and her colt. I traded a arabian mare for them. Went and got them Saturday before all this happened. Her name is Leaning Pines Harlequin Romance and her colt is Irvens Indian Romance. Also we watch movies here in the evenings. I have about 35-40 horse movies alone. I also do not sew or quilt. I do read a lot though and have a book collection as well. :eek: Anyway off to do Cody's first tubing this am since we did a tubing late last night around 10p.m. So hsi first tubing today is 6:30a.m, then 8a.m, then 9:30a.m, then 11a.m, then 1p.m, then 2:30p.m, then 4p.m, then 5:30p.m, then 7p.m, then 8:30p.m and then I am off to bed after that and hubby is doing the weekend shift with his mom and dad as I have to go to work.
default_wacko.png
: Wish I could afford to take the weekend off but with a car to pay off, visas, car insurance and now the vet bill just can't afford it. :no:

Shana, I'm so happy to be reading he is improving! I know we ALL are!!! He will always remember that his "Mom, Dad and Grand Parents" helped him get better. I know that animals do understand when they are very sick or hurt and are being helped. He's a lucky guy to have such an attentive family!

Hi,

He is still here with us, and after we tubed him he went and blew bubbles in the water bucket, something he learnt while in the barn. I think it amuses him. He also swallowed some water on his own, not much but it is a start. My vet said that the other 3 cases he had last week all were dead by day 2 and here we are the third day. :aktion033: The vet said as long as he keeps peeing and pooing it will get the toxin out of his system and he said that could take up to 2 weeks. He is also glad he is still standing. He is skinny though, this is the skinniest horse I have ever had, had one mini mare last year that her colt took to much out of her, even had people threaten to send the SPCA which we told them go ahead but we'll just give him/her the vets phone number as my vet was trying to help us find a diet that would keep her in shape which we did find and slowly she gained weight. Now she is big and fat. The vet said it will take Cody 6 months to get back in shape so if vet is saying that to me that is a good sign it means vet thinks he will make it.
default_smile.png

Edited to add: My mom is helping me today with his tubings as my parent in laws are busy today.

Last edited by a moderator:
is he on anything for ulcers?? the playing in the water is a big sign of ulcers which could have been brought on by the stress of being sick I would get him on gastroguard as it cant hurt and can only help.

So glad hes doing better :aktion033:

I'm very glad he is improving slowly but surely. I also would watch the water playing...I've had a mini with ulcers and it's difficult. GastroGard is great but pricey, my vet and I used CARAFATE (sucralfate) for Thera. It is a wonder, crushed and put in a syringe with water or better still aloe vera juice every 6 hrs, will help heal the ulcer if there is one. I am not a vet but sharing my experience.

WHOOO HOOOO!!!!! Come on Cody! :aktion033:

I'm still sending prayers!

I agree with KayKay and Dimimore about ulcer medicine.

Hi,

He only plays in the water before we tube him, not afterwards. Vet said it is because he is tellinng us he is thirsty. Though will ask vet about ulcers. Now if I was not so broke he would have the vet here every day, well so far he has had the vet here tuesday, wednesday and thursday. Vet bills keeps rising and no mini foals to sell yet as my mares are holding out for Christmas I guess. All pasture bred so who knows when they will foal. One mare has a small udder, others no udder yet.
default_wacko.png
:

Hi Shana,

Has the vet checked his blood for signs of Hyperlipemia? Hyperlipemia is a secondary, stress induced disorder.

Do you know what his temperature running at, as dipping the head into water is often a sign of a high temperature and is also one of the symptoms of hyperlipemia (as is a foul breath).
default_sad.png
As his body is under such stress, it may pay to check for this if it hasn't been done already.

I hope that he keeps coming good for you.

My husband found a website that had gastrogaurd pretty inexpensive compared to what the vets charged. If you should need it just PM and I will see if he can find it again.

Kim

Latest posts

Back