Coyote Winds Knockout

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so glad to hear he is doing better....I was almost afraid to read your post. Keeping him in my prayers that he will make a complete recovery for you. Corinne

People say I will get over losing a horse but here it is 2007 and I still miss those 2 mares and cry on their birthdays and on the day they were put down.
The day when it becomes easy to 'get over' losing a horse/foal, that's the day I'll know it's time to get out of the horse business... i still cry over the mare we lost, and when I see the two healthy foals we have so far I think about the little filly that one of our girls aborted last November and the 'what ifs' start rolling through my mind..

Sooo soooo glad to hear that he's a fighter.. Prayers and thoughts headed your way for a full recovery!
default_wub.png
:

Just did his 3p.m tubing and he was doing alright. He didn't want me to leave the barn. Looked at me like hey you come back here. I think he is feeling better and knows it is because of me so is glad when I come. Tommorow my friend is coming to help me until his 1p.m tubing then I have to take her back home as she works at 2p.m. So will have to do 2.30p.m tubing and 4p.m tubing by myself as my mother and father in law will be gone all day. Oh boy hope he gives me a break as it is hard to hold his head, the tube and the shyringe ay same time. I only have 2 hands.
default_wacko.png
: The other tubings are during chore time so will have help or evening tubing which my hubby helps me with. I hope he gets his swallow reflex back because then I know he will be on the mend.

Thanks for the update!! Hey, he is hanging in there!!! :aktion033:

I'm glad he's feeling a little better, i've been thinking of you two today. Hope to hear more good updates later on.
default_pray.gif
:

Leslie

I have been reading this thread from the beginning...and want you to know I am keeping him in my prayers for a FULL recovery...the progress so far is very encouraging!!!! Hang in there..you are a GOOD "Mom" to him!!!
default_wub.png
:

I am glad he is doing better. What a strong little guy! My prayers will continue to be with him.

I am hoping for a good update in the morning!
default_smile.png

I am glad he is feeling better, I had to check before bed and give you my Prayers for him to make a Full recovery, hang in there it will get better.

Sending Good thoughts and Hugs to you both.

Jan

Well it is thursday morning, went to tube him at 5a.m but his tube has come out so will have to phone the vet clinic at 7:30a.m when they open to have my vet come re-tube him. He told me it would come out eventually and to phone when it did. Cody is still up and trying so hard to drink water. At least the vet gave me a heads up on the tube coming out eventually so I am a little more relaxed then I would have been had he not told me.

Continuing to send good thoughts and prayers your way - every day that goes by is a positive. Sometimes it is hard to keep the tube in place.

If I could afford it I would have sent him to the large animal clinic where someone is there 24/7 and he could have a iv drip instead of the tubing. Then he would be getting water, nutrients, electroylytes all day. Just can't afford it as I am only working 2 days a week and so far my vet bill is quite a bit. I can just imagine what it would be if he was at the large animal clinic.
default_wacko.png
: If I had the money I would have sent him as he would have a far better chance. He is relaxed anywhere as I show him at fairs and local shows and you wouldn't think he was a stallion. Such a gentleman.

Just wanted tosay that I am sending prayers your way for your little guy. Praying that he only gets better and better everyday for you..
default_wub.png
:
default_pray.gif
:

Talked with vet on phone and he said only way the tube could come out is if Cody swallowed which he is doing a bit as I have seen him do it. Vet said to take him out to graze to see if he will eat the grass. If nothing by 4p.m I am to phone the vet back and he'll come retube him. Hopefully Cody eats the grass, going to take him out in a hour or so.

Prayers headed your way from Butler, PA. Sounds like you are doing a great job with him.

I am wishing for full recovery for you. Last year was a year from... for me. I Completely understand your situation.

If you do need to keep him hydrated, maybe ask the vet about placing an IV port in his neck. You can give him bags of fluids every 1-2 hours. It is the next best thing to have him on a constant drip. It is stressful, but if you are determined, it is completely possible to do this at your own barn. You just need to make sure that you keep the line clean and open (flush them with heperine flush before and after each session) and be sure to keep the caps for the tubing clean and sterile, and recap the Iv port when done.

You may also be a little surprised with the prices from an animal clinic, if you are talking about a maintanance program and not a surgery (keeping your stallion hydrated with an iv) it isn't as bad as you may think, especially if you are having the vet come out over and over. Please don't hesitate to PM me if you want to know the $ figures I dealt with in this area when I had to have my horse to the clinic with round the clock care and iv fluids.

I am sending some thoughts and prayers your way.

Carolyn R

I've been thinking about your boy often and am praying for a full recovery. It sounds like he's doing better.

I understand the price of the equine hospital. We sent a mare we had that was colicing. Vet said... Oh it should not be too terribly bad... first day cost us about $1800 and the next day she was euthanized(She was unable to have surgery due to a heart condition. We spent about $10,000 on this mare in health bills... Three weeks after we bought her the breeder called to say she was having a loose stool problem. Five years later she still had a loose stool problem. It was every single day and nothing helped). At the hospital they even charged us to pick her up and place her in my husbands truck(we took her to be cremated). You would think that expense would be waived.

A few months later my gelding cut his leg really bad(don't know how) all the way around his hock. He also, coliced. He did this during the day when we weren't home and was unable to get up to get water..... It was horrible... Anyway, we were still recovering from Millie's colic when this happened. We decided to care for him ourselves. He pulled through and you wouldn't even know that he was wounded. It was hard, but we were able to manage at home plus, I believe he was a lot more comfortable at home and was able to eat grass and walk a little with the bandages.

Kim

Latest posts

Back