Coyote Winds Knockout

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so sorry to hear this. I pray he makes a full recovery.

Kim

Awwww... I hope he pulls through for you. Keep us posted.

Andrea

default_sad.png
default_sad.png
default_sad.png

My prayers will be for you and your mini. This has to be so hard but I see all the friends you have on the forum pulling for you and in hopes only the very best comes for your little stallion. I watched a movie last night my beloved sister sent me and it said over and over "with God nothing is impossible"

FLFlyingW

I am adding my warm thoughts and positive vibes to all these others... I know how you are feeling right now, as I am sure many of us do...please, get some rest yourself. Cyber Hugs!

Sending best wishes & hoping your vet could be wrong like my vet was. In a nutshell over a month ago my four year old pregnant mare could not swallow. Vet came to the farm checked her & said I hate to tell you but this is the first sign of boutlism.. : The week before I had found a 2 inch by 2 inch piece of dried up animal carcass laying on the ground where I had put the hay.............. We took her to the clinic, he scoped her but could find nothing wrong. Put her on an IV drip & banamine. Told us there was one chance for her to survive, a $1500 anti serum (actually I have forgotten what he called it). Said he could not justify spending $1500 of our money based on one symptom so he would watch her through the night. He, the main vet & another vet had never treated a pregnant mare with this before so he said she most likely would lose the foal even if she survived...
default_sad.png
................. I hugged her and told her bye, left in tears & with heavy heart, knowing we would never see her alive again.................... The next day the vet called & said she was trying to eat on her own. I went to the clinic & spent two hours grooming & watching her & smiling as she munched on the hay & drank water, acting normal....................... We still don't know what it was as there was no sign of swelling or a bite either ................... I was worried about the foal being ok but on May 9th my mare delivered a healthy small palomino colt & he is a blessing indeed............. While at the clinic we did see a big horse with botulism that had been there 6 weeks & he was being assisted to stand for the first time. Out of a herd of 25 he was the only one that got it............................ I wish you could be as lucky as we were & be given a second chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
We had a friend who had a mule with a bad case of botullisim and survived and lived to the ripe old age of at least 40.He outlived several owners. Good luck and prayers coming your way.Sounds like your guy is a fighter.

I've been thinking about you all day and I was hoping for better news. I'm so sorry he's this sick and I hope and pray he pulls through.
default_pray.gif
:

Shana,

I just now read this - I am so sorry you and Cody are going through this. Hugs and prayers for you and your precious little Cody.

[SIZE=12pt]Shana-[/SIZE]

Sure hope he has had a good night. Come on Cody - fight this thing!

Barbie
default_pray.gif
:

I'm so sorry for you and your precious Cody. I'm praying for a good update.

Well I just went to the barn. Cody is still with us and is so trying to swallow. He puts his nose in the water bowl, then lifts his head in the air and does swallow as I heard it but still not eating. I tubed him at 4:30a.m and will do so again soon. I'll try to do it every 2 hours, so start at 4:30a.m, then 6:30a.m, then 8:30a.m, then 10:30a.m, then 12:30p.m, then 2:30p.m, then 4:30p.m, then 6:30p.m, then 8:30p.m, then 10:30p.m. Then I'll go to bed and get about 5 hours sleep before starting it all over again. I really hope he makes it. Vet is coming today to give him a botulism shot. One thing I hate is giving needles as he has to have penycylan 2 times a day so may have hubby do it before he goes to work.
default_wacko.png
:

Edited to add: I may do the last pm tubings at 8p.m and 9:30p.m so I can get a bit more sleep.

Last edited by a moderator:
I helped take care( as a volunteer) of a few Botulism cases at New Bolton. There is a medicine for it, it is expensive and certainly way too expensive for a full size horse. But it may be a bit more reasonable for a mini, maybe.

If he is down and laying down. It is very important to turn him from side to side many times a day. Also, very important is his position while laying down. Best to be NOT FLat on his sides. The Best position is laying .... like a dog, on his stomach with front feet out in front, or at least have him propped upright, so that he is more up than flat. This can be done by positioning him with pillows or even blaes of hay. It is important to turn and move him to prevent pneumoina and to allow for "drainage" of the sinuses, airway and lungs.

As far as I know, it is not so much moldy hay that causes this as it is usually caused by.... say.... a dead snake or other creature that goy caught up when the hay was baled and the creature decomposes. The animal eats the contaminated hay. Thats why I won't feed round bales, as when I used the square lady bales, I can see what is in the flakes of hay that I am feedings, but still there is no gaurentee.

I wish you the best of luck, sending prayers.

Robin

im so sorry and pls know im sending prayers. wish you lived closer i would lend you a stallion to breed your mares.

Prayers for Cody and you Shana! I hope he has the will to live and fights this off!

ROBINRTRUE JOY he is standing up, not laying down so I am hoping for the best. I feed small square bails and pull them apart and fluff the hay up so the horses don't have to do it. They are spoiled.

KAYKAY thank you for your kind offer on loaning me a stallion. I do have one other AMHA/AMHR stallion but he already has 6 mares with him and don't think the pasture would hold any more mares. I also have a AMHR/FBR stallion co-owned with my cousin. She goes picks him up on Saturday. We are paying for him on payments but now with this huge vet bill I just don't know. Wish I could send Cody to the large animal clinic as they could monitor him 24/7 whereas I can't. It is just way out of my price range to do that. The 3 mares he was with, 2 are only AMHR but the third is AMHA/AMHR. Cody had only been with them a month so am not sure if they are in foal or not.
default_wacko.png
:

MILOMINIS thank you, I really hope he beats this. I had planned to show him as well this season at AMHR shows in Ontario, looks like my showing won't happen at all due to the vet bill and Cody of course won't be in any shape to show if he does make it. :no:

I am sorry to hear this. I hope your little stallion pulls through. Sounds like he might, standing is a good thing.

Best of luck to you!

Beth

Latest posts

Back