Coyote Winds Knockout

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHANA

Reaction score
I am crying writing this. My vet came and said my stallion has a real bad case of botulism and he had 3 cases last week and all died. The vet checked his pasture and only thing he could find is one tiny tiny old hay pile from last year that he could have eaten. I don't feed my horses round bails only square. Vet said it fermented and Cody probably ate a bit. Cody cannot swallow at all, he has a tube in his nose so that I can give him water, nutrition powder and vet said give him some jersey milk mixed with the water. I have to give him 100 shringes a day of water, 2 a day of jersey milk and 2 a day of nutrition powder. He said I'll know in 2 days because next thing that will happen if he doesn't fight is his breathing tube will get parylyzed which will result in his immediate death. I just hope he pulls through this as he is my baby and I cannot afford to replace him and he is my main herd sire. I don't even have any of his offspring as he is only 4 and has only 2 foals on the ground and 4 mares due this summer if all 4 caught. So please pray for him and please pick up any old hay as it could cause botulism.
default_crybaby.gif
:
default_crybaby.gif
:
default_crybaby.gif
:
default_crybaby.gif
:
default_crybaby.gif
:

OMG NO!
default_crybaby.gif
: I'm so sorry this is happening! I know he is your love, your pride and joy. I am sending prayers and hugs!!

Going suddenly toxic is what killed my beloved Spuds 3 years ago. Nothing saved him.

I pray you don't lose your boy.
default_sad.png

oh shana this post saddens me greatly, i really hope your boy pulls through, im so sorry.....

Oh no! :no: I saw your other post earlier, and had been hoping for the best. Remember you are doing all you can for him. Prayers to you and your special boy
default_pray.gif
:

I hope so too. My husband just got home and as soon as I told him he ran to the barn. I am just about to head back to the barn to get lead ropes to move the 3 mares that were in with Cody to a different pasture that is only grass, no hay at all. I'll be back on later tonight.

I read your first post and was waiting for an update. I'm sorry that you and Cody are going through this, i'm praying that he has a turn for the best. Good Luck

Leslie

Am praying for your Cody and for all of you.........what a nightmare. I know what it's like to lose one of your ADULT fur-family members. It's a heart wrench that I can't describe.

Please keep us posted on him whenever you can!

MA

Oh how terrifying. My prayers continue for him and you too. I know first hand how hard it is to see one you love so very sick. Keep us updated please.

Oh my, what horrible news!
default_sad.png

Sending warm thoughts and prayers for you and your boy. I really hope he pulls through.
default_pray.gif
:

Im so sorry, was hoping it was just teeth problems! I will be
default_pray.gif
: for his recovery.

back from the barn, had a lot of help. My father and mother in law live next door and helped, as did my husband to put water mixed with milk and eloctrolytes and nutrients into him. Father in law brought me some milk as he was milking the cows. I really hope he makes it, it is a good thing I do not work weekdays so I can go out every half hour to hour to give him water and or nutrients. My vet is coming back tommorow morning as a lady up the road wants him to do her horses yearly shots and she lives in Montreal so has to tell him what day to come. So vet is going to give Cody a botulism shot and check him again. He said I will know in a few days if he will make it and said if he does make it it'll take months to bring him back to shape which I don't care if it took that long as long as he lives. Don't even care if he ever produces any more foals as he is my baby but now I am without a second AMHA/AMHR stallion for this breeding season. I just hope the 3 mares he was with caught and are in foal for 2008 because if he doesn't make it I hope to keep a few of his daughters. I had to put 2 arabian mares down in 2003, one at age 19 after owning her for 12 years and one at the age of 9 that I had bred and had since the day she was born. People say I will get over losing a horse but here it is 2007 and I still miss those 2 mares and cry on their birthdays and on the day they were put down. Cody I love a lot more than those 2 mares, guess it is because he caught my eye as a yearling and always has been there for me and whinnies at me all the time. I really hope he makes it as it will not be the same without him. I don't think any other horse will ever take his place if he does cross the rainbow bridge.
default_bye-sad.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Shana, so sorry not better news. I am thinking of you and
default_pray.gif
: and
default_pray.gif
: and more
default_pray.gif
:

If you need to talk just email me at: [email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=12pt]Shana-[/SIZE]

Thoughts and prayers coming to you - sure am hoping for good news as time passes.

Barbie

Latest posts

Back