Could use some input on Shetlands

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

js1arab

Reaction score
Well, I have to tell you I am totally discombobulated and could use some input. I am in no hurry to do anything right away. But if I change my breeding stock, I am toying with the idea of the Shetland infusion. Here's the problem. In one way, I am with the group that feels that a shetland and a mini could eventually evolve into seperate entiities. In other words, miniatures would totally close their books and breed only to registered minis and eventually achieve a sort of kinda breed
biggrin.gif
On the other hand, I do like the Shetlands, just not sure I want a purebred. I am not too well schooled with Shetlands as far as how they handle. I hear they can be hot and I have worked around the Hackneys which can be very hot, but I have an Arab and everyone tells me they are too hot and too stupid to be good horses and I KNOW that isn't true most of the time. I love a hotter horse to handle (don't want a riding or driving horse that way though
rolleyes.gif
just too old for that) but, my horses are exposed to a lot of children and I just want something laid back. No flames. I am not saying Shetlands are bad. I said I am sure their are lots of good ones. Anyway. I just wonder where everyone stands on why they agree or disagree with the crosses. I am usually one who feels if I wanted a Shetland I'd buy a Shetland, not a mini who looks like a Shetland (yes I know they are mostly Shetland anyway, but you all know the arguements I'm referring too) Same with Arabs etc. If people want Saddlebreds or Thoroughbreds, why don't they buy them instead of breeding their Arabs to look like them. I guess I just feel guilty as I am thinking of breaking my own standards LOL. But at a show this summer, I heard someone very strongly emphasizing that her horse didn't have a bit of Arenosa or Shetland for several generations back, so it got me to wondering just what is it that makes people feel so strongly about keeping the Shetland breeding out of the "newer" minis.

Also, those who have your horses registered both, do you have a good market?

OK, last question and it is a really dumb one, but here goes. Just how does the double registering work. Let's say I bred my mare to a stallion with both mini and shetland papers. If the mare is AMHR only and not Shetland, then I will only be able to register the foal with the AHMR correct??? Or if I bought a mare that was mini/shet and the stallion was AMHR only then the same thing right?

I tell ya. Knowing horses and handling them is a lot easier than trying to figure out rules, regulations and "political correctness"

I appreciate all thoughts here, but please let's not turn this into a mini vs shetland deal. I just want to know why some feel it is a good thing and some don't so if I decide to make a cross I understand what I am doing. I love the stout broad bodies of some minis, but I love a nice Shetland neck and legs to go with it (of course if I can ask for everything, I'd like an Arab type head on there too please
biggrin.gif
)

js1arab said:
Also, those who have your horses registered both, do you have a good market?

OK, last question and it is a really dumb one, but here goes. Just how does the double registering work. Let's say I bred my mare to a stallion with both mini and shetland papers. If the mare is AMHR only and not Shetland, then I will only be able to register the foal with the AHMR correct??? Or if I bought a mare that was mini/shet and the stallion was AMHR only then the same thing right?

477786[/snapback]

In answer to the above question, yes. You have it right.

And mixing Shetland into the mini bloodlines is not new. You are not alone, although it is a growing market still.

Wish you all the best with whatever you do.

MA

I started out with our first horse was 1/2 Shetland and mini. He went on to get his HOF and went to Nationals in 2004 and got 10 in Haulter and performance in driving. Most of our stock now is aspc/amhr registered but still have a mare amhr registered that we breed to our small aspc/amhr stud. I love the movement of the bigger horses and there conformation.

hi jackie

well you know how much i like them as i have bought two recently LOL. I just personally love their look and their personalities. To me they are more like big horses. We first fell in love with our patches (modern pleasure shetland) and now own two aspc/amhr horses. I also love the B size so this fit perfectly. I think the market is going to get bigger and bigger for them.

No questions are Dumb
aktion033.gif
It's good to ask and keep asking. You will get many different answers.

The Miniature horses right now are a height registry and until they fully close the registry, they will never be a true breed and never be purebred. They have so many different lines in them now.

As for Shetland's..American Shetland ponies are also not purebreds(not sure if any Equines are truly purebreds) as they have heavy infusions on Hackney and Welsh lines depending on the lines. As for the trainability and workability of the American Shetland pony, I feel that depends on 2 things.

1. The breeding and 2. the way they were brought up and trained. There are some lines out there who are so sweet and so easily trained more than others. Even some strong hackney bred Shetlands are easy going and not as hot as some would believe. The way a foal is raised has a lot to do with the way he/she will act when training and behaving. Some lines of Shetlands make wonderful kids ponies if they are worked with right for the start..yet the same lines are HOT enough to show well and still be trained to behave.

I undertand you not wanting to break your standard thought about what you feel a Miniature horse should be and respect you for that. I would suggest that you learn more about the American Shetland pony, checking out the lines so you know which ones you like better and then buy one mare. Breed her to your Miniature stallion and just see how you feel about your mare and her foals. You might decide this isn't for you...or you might decide..hey this is nice...
yes.gif

A double registered foal/mare/stallion or gelding is most always more marketable.

They can be shown as a Shetland or a Miniature. If they are lucky enough to be under 34" tall, then they are even more marketable. If they are Pinto, even more so. ..IMO
smile.gif

As for the registry thing...The American Shetland Pony Club has had fully closed books for many moons. The only way to register a foal ASPC is for both parents to be registered with ASPC. Even if you have a Miniature horse who might be 99% Shetland....If you have had Arabians you know that no matter how close to a purebred you get with breeding a purebred to a part-bred...it can't be a purebred. Although a purebred Arabian can be registered as a part-bred.....haha...another story
wacko.gif

Hope I have helped?

My best,

Jenny

saludando.gif

Another thing to think about - just how many of those "Unknown" parents in pedigrees were really "Unknown"? Some of the biggest mini breeders of the past and present have been guilty of hardshipping (and prior to hardshipping just plain registering) small Shetlands into AMHR with parentage listed as "Unknown". There was such a stigma attached to admiting to having Shetland blood in your minis breeders went to some pretty great lengths to hide it even though they have always been adding it. I should start keeping track of the number of times I come across a Shetland in the ASPC studbooks that is registered to J. C. Williams - LOL - and with no Shetland progeny after it was transferred into his name. Now these ponies didn't just disappear....
wink.gif

Personally, I have no trouble selling my Shetlands that will stay small enough to hardship AMHR. I don't specifically breed for small but do have a stallion who is a downsizer so it happens more often than I'd prefer. My ideal is 40-42 inches. I do think that the ASPC/AMHR market is just going to keep getting better and better though.

ASPC/AMHR to AMHR = AMHR
smile.gif

[SIZE=14pt]I love my shetland mini crosses. I have some shetlands that are also minis one is even 32 inches tall. The mini only guys I have are at least 50% Shetland. Two of my best mares are part shetland and I own their Shetland grandmother as well. They are both also under 34. I like the length of neck and leg and shorter backs that Im getting in the 2nd and third generation cross. You can see them on our web page.[/SIZE]

My Webpage

I have only 3 mini only mares and one is part hackney. The other two are going to be bred to the shetland/mini stallions I have.

Lyn

Thank you all for your input. The Shetlands are undeniably beautiful. I may have to study up on the lines a bit and break my own rules
wacko.gif
Not sure if I should add a smiley or a shame on me emoticon so I guess I'll leave it blank LOL. Oh and nice horses Lyn
wink.gif

Lewella. I had to laugh. I own a 38" palomino mare and her first foal was awesome. But I have always thought in the back of my mind she most likely had Shetlands for maternal grandparents. They are listed as unknown and her dam and all of her sires side were "A" size. Her sire's side is Boone breeding, and then there is this 38" Amazon that pops up
biggrin.gif
Her fisrt foal looked very much like some of the Seth Thomas horses that were doing a lot of winning in our area a couple years back so now I'm pretty sure her grandparents were Shetland, but of course I will never know that.

Latest posts

Back