Anyone from Idaho?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoahG

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have been wanting to leave California for some time, but now I have my 2 minis to think of for when/if I move. Is there anyone here on the forum who has advice on keeping minis in Idaho, what part of the state they're in and how they handle the colder winters? I have lived in southern California my whole life and have only known mild weather with scorching summers, and would love to live in a state with actual seasons.

Places I've looked at are Sandpoint, areas outside of Boise, and Idaho falls. I just wanted anyone here with experience living with minis in ID to share their advice and experiences, if they feel so inclined.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and have a wonderful day!

--Noah

I'm on the other side of the country, but I think the winters are similar to what we get. I have bought horses from a more southern climate and I find they can struggle a little the first year. Sometimes they need to be blanketed. After the first winter they are usually fine. They will probably need a little more shelter, at least 3 solid sides, and I like to be able to lock mine in the barn if it's particularly nasty in the winter. I bring them hot water from the kitchen twice a day to melt the ice in their buckets. You may have more grass to worry about if yours are sensitive.

Like LostandFound, we aren’t in Idaho but maybe Minnesota is similar depending on the area in Idaho?

The winters here can be severe and they are long. Our barn has four solid sides but is open 18” along the top so the barn is never air tight. The barn has three big doors and two are left open or partially open most of the year so ponies have free choice. When it rains, and during the coldest nights, the doors are pulled closed.

Plus, the electric waterer is inside the barn and in the winter the heating element is turned on - from October through May (this past year).

You may find Aggie and Winston loving the cooler/colder weather!

There is an Idaho Miniature Horse Club, that sounds very active. Maybe contact them for insights, or a member contact, you could bounce questions off? Horse people usually are more than willing to talk all things horses!

Like LostandFound, we aren’t in Idaho but maybe Minnesota is similar depending on the area in Idaho?

The winters here can be severe and they are long. Our barn has four solid sides but is open 18” along the top so the barn is never air tight. The barn has three big doors and two are left open or partially open most of the year so ponies have free choice. When it rains, and during the coldest nights, the doors are pulled closed.

Plus, the electric waterer is inside the barn and in the winter the heating element is turned on - from October through May (this past year).

You may find Aggie and Winston loving the cooler/colder weather!

There is an Idaho Miniature Horse Club, that sounds very active. Maybe contact them for insights, or a member contact, you could bounce questions off? Horse people usually are more than willing to talk all things horses!
Aggie especially would love the cold. In the wintertime here she's always feisty and full of energy. The heat aggravates her asthma and some days she doesn't want to do anything. I feel horrible watching her go through that.

Thank you for the advice!

I'm on the other side of the country, but I think the winters are similar to what we get. I have bought horses from a more southern climate and I find they can struggle a little the first year. Sometimes they need to be blanketed. After the first winter they are usually fine. They will probably need a little more shelter, at least 3 solid sides, and I like to be able to lock mine in the barn if it's particularly nasty in the winter. I bring them hot water from the kitchen twice a day to melt the ice in their buckets. You may have more grass to worry about if yours are sensitive.
Thank you. I imagine it would be a bit of a shock for them at first but I think they'd love the cold.

I am from Washington State but I have family in Idaho and my husband travels for work, so we've been all over that state.
We got my mini from Northern Washington, about 30 mins from Sandpoint. He was a 5 month old wooly mammoth, lol. The horses there seemed fine and had thick coats. My aunt lives North about 20 minutes from Sandpoint, and they get a lot of snow like they can get app to 5 feet, and it's pretty rural, so you've gotta be experiened driving and snowing. They do keep the roads. Clean, but you still might have days where you can't get out.
Boise and Idaho falls are more southern and get less snow. Both are exceptional beautiful, they both have a beautiful river that flows thru and they can get warm. We love both. Your minis will adapt. Just make sure they've got warm blankets, just don't use them often so they grow a thicker coat. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back