Convention Schedule

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetOpal

Reaction score
The convention schedule is now online on the shetlandminiature.com site under events.

Thanks for the link!

I would suggest that all ASPC/AMHR members take a look at the committee agendas. There are several rule changes submitted in the AMHR committee that will affect us that show as well as rule changes in the stewards committee that affect us that show. If you cannot attend Convention, then contact your committee members to let them know your feelings on the proposed rule changes.

I second that! People, please go read all the committee agendas! There are proposals that will affect you if passed!

One of the proposed rule changes, additions or deletions...

E.Add – There will be random drug testing of stake classes at Mini Nationals.

I would actually like to see this read as there will be random drug testing of any national champion at nationals, not just limited to the driving horses.

Amateur rule changes...

I like the ruling as it, which states an amateur should own or lease the horse they are showing, I don't see a need to change that. I also don't understand why "someone" would want to delete that rule for the miniatures but yet add it for the shetlands.

Steward committee proposals...

A.Proposals to vote on

1.Add new: No one can protest a sixty (60) day measurement card on any Shetland or Miniature who has

not obtained their permanent measurement card. No protest can be filed with the show steward at any

sanctioned ASPC/AMHR/ASPR show if said horse holds a sixty (60) day measurement card. This rule will

not apply to the ASPC Congress or the AMHR Miniature Nationals where each horse must be re-measured

to participate in those shows.

Submitted by Karen Shaw

2.Add new: No one can protest a horse’s height that holds a permanent height measurement card on any

Shetland or Miniature. No protest can be filed with the show steward at any saanctioned

ASPC/AMHR/ASPR show if said horse holds a permanent measurement card. This rule will not apply to

the ASPC Congress or the AMHR Nationals where each horse must be re-measured to participate in those

shows.

Submitted by Karen Shaw

3.Add: No Shetland or Miniature will have an annual card also known as a sixty (60) day measurement

card. All Shetlands and Miniatures that do not hold a permanent measurement card must be measured at

each show.

Submitted by Karen Shaw

I totally disagree with these proposals. Just because a horse has a 60 day card doesn't mean that horse hasn't grown within those 60 days. If the horse has grown enough in those 60 days to put itself into the next height division, than so be it, it should be shown in its proper division. I also disagree with the proposal that once a horse has it's permanent card you can no longer protest it's height. I have had a couple horses who have continued to grown past the age of 5 and because of that went into the "B" height division. We need to be working on enforcing the current measurement / height rules that we have now to get things under control in regards to horses not showing in their correct height divisions. I feel these rules would only add to the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any comments on the rule change to limit an exhibitor to handling only TWO horses in hunter and TWO horses in jumper? The way I read the proposed rule change it would apply to all open, amateur and youth exhibitors. For me, I see three problems with this rule change: 1) you are limiting the amount of entry, office and stall fees a show can collect. If I have to leave a horse home because I have three under hunters then the show is missing out on all of those fees; 2) when the class entries numbers are limited then the number of HOF points is also reduced. It is hard enough to HOF in the in hand performance classes because of there being no championship class; and 3) as a trainer, my income is being limited. It is tough enough to make a full time living doing this job! I would not be able to have three or four hunter/jumpers in the barn that were all overs or unders and I would not be able to catch handle any additionals at a show which is another way I get income.

Also what about our youth that have several they have worked long and hard with to train for hunter and jumper. Now you want to tell them that all of the work is for nothing and they have to pick only two to show? Again, that is money out of the pocket for shows and I know many of the smaller clubs and shows have lost money this year and need all the revenue they can get from additional entries, stall fees and office fees.

Also, I am against measuring at each and every show and I do not want my ability to protest a height of a horse or pony to be taken away.

I have liked in the past that for the Shetlands that an amateur could show in say the amateur country pleasure drivig with a pony that they did not own, as long as they as an exhibitor had an amateur card. That has certainly allowed for some new folks at shows to try out ponies that I have been hauling and not have the pressure of performing in the open classes against trainers. I do understand though that for most associations that an animal must br owned and shown by the amateur listed on the animals papers.

I am for drug testing at National shows actually for both Miniatures and Shetlands. I would like to see it include any of the National champions in any event.

Leah I see your point on the Ammy owned - but I would like to disagree with it. I work hard all year as an Amateur to show in the Ammy classes, it really chaps my hide that all of a sudden I am competing against poines that have been with a trainer all year, possibly owned by the trainer, and an ammy just steps into the drivers/handlers seat for that show in an amateur class.

On the other hand, if the pony is owned by that ammy and it was with the trainer for a show season, I can't do anything about that if their name is on the paper and they step into the driver's seat for that show.

I am not against the amateur rule change as changing it will bring us in line with other associations. It was a neat perk while it lasted and it gave me the opportunity to let some amateur miniature horse exhibitors to handle a Shetland in a show to see if they liked the ponies. Those folks have by the way now bought ponies because they did enjoy them. The ponies actually that I have let the ammys show this year are all owned by card holding amateurs, they just were not at the shows to take them into class themselves so that gave other amateurs the opportunity to show them and basically "try out" a Shetland.

Latest posts

Back