CMM *Melody foaled a palomino pinto colt on 3/12/14*

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you all very much... It has been a disastrous week and I still feel like I am living a nightmare.

Rue was very happy when we walked in last night! She tries to let out her big whinny but now its just puffs of air. I so miss that precious whinny. She enjoyed all of her scratches and tried following us out when it was time to head back home. We found out last night that a couple test results came back and Rue's selenium and vitamin e levels are very low, which could be the cause of her paralysis. So we have hope that if those levels increase her function will come back and she will be able to one day breathe out of her nose again! There is still a very high chance that she will need the surgery to put a permanent trach but now we have something to really hope for! Yesterday the special trachs came so they could replace her first one. They had to order dog trachs so they would actually fit correctly because Rue is so tiny. Cant wait for more good news, and the day they tell us we get to take her home!!!

531143_10151355706983478_716238060_n-1.jpg

Oh np
default_sad.png
I can't belive what a bad run you have had with this girl!

Hugs and thinking of you.

So sorry for all the troubles you have had with Rue and hoping for a full recovery soon. I think all New England is deficient in selenium and I know other people here have trouble with vitamin E too. I feed Dr. Benson's TNS (Total Nutritional Supplement) that is owned by someone in Massachusetts, I might look into that yellow Tractor Supply salt block too. Some people use the vitamin E gel tabs you get from health food stores. Good luck with her and keep us posted.

So sorry for all the troubles you have had with Rue and hoping for a full recovery soon. I think all New England is deficient in selenium and I know other people here have trouble with vitamin E too. I feed Dr. Benson's TNS (Total Nutritional Supplement) that is owned by someone in Massachusetts, I might look into that yellow Tractor Supply salt block too. Some people use the vitamin E gel tabs you get from health food stores. Good luck with her and keep us posted.
Vit E is a recommended supplement for Cushing's horses, so my mini gelding gets 3 400IU gelcaps daily (recommended base dose is 800IU for his size, 350#, the extra cap helps with his other issues). Many horses will just gobble up the caps not problem, but Jasper doesn't like the case, so I squeeze the vit E out for him, and toss the caps. The mare I also give them to, gobbles them up whole.

Oh this is terrible, poor little girl gone through so much. Hopes she recovering and everything goes well. Praying for you both.

On a side note she is such a pretty girl and looks to be really sweet, hopefully she can go home soon.

These photos are not in order... The ones without the pink vet wrap were a couple days ago and all the ones with the pink are from today. She got to venture outside today and was SOOOO happy!!!!! I just love this little horse so much, so so lucky to have her! We may get to take her home on tuesday! Everyone please keep your fingers crossed!!!!!! We just have to learn how to take out, clean, and replace her trach tube.

I can't wait to have her home!!!

DSC_0625.JPG

DSC_0699.JPG

DSC_0712.jpg

DSC_0734.JPG

DSC_0738.jpg

DSC_0784.JPG

DSC_0654.JPG

DSC_0769.JPG

DSC_0750.jpg

DSC_0659.JPG

Couple of really crappy photos of Summer. But her udder has definitely changed a little bit. Cant see her massive belly from behind anymore... Would that be because its kinda more towards her front and dropped a bit? Could she have these changes and not be in foal? The udder changes anyway? Poor girl really missed Rue
default_sad.png
I got the most adorable brand new foal blankets for just incase miss Summer has a foal soon.

DSC_0673.JPG

DSC_0786.JPG

DSC_0670.jpg

aww I love seeing your updates on little Rue, poor baby girl! she reminds me so much of when my Finnley man was sick (she has such a similer head to him <3 )... get better little Rue!!

I can see a little udder change in Summer... and she is sitting lopsided, but her backleg looks to be standing a bit back from the other which could be causing that... her tummy? hmmm I guess with what Penny did to me I'm sceptical... I really hope she is in foal for you... how much feed does she get? is she in a paddock with lots of grass? does she get much hay? (sorry I know all of these questions have been asked before but just wanting to check again )
default_smile.png

please be cooking a little baby in there Summer!

Aww lovely pics of little Rue - do the vets have any idea of what caused this episode yet?

Summer is looking great - different mares 'move' their tummies in different ways depending upon how the foal is lying at any one time, but with her udder slowly increasing, you will be seeing a baby sometime soon.
default_yes.gif

RUE GETS TO COME HOME TODAY!!!!! Going in just about an hour to learn how to be her home "vet"
default_yes.gif
:yes
default_yes.gif

I still can't believe she gets to come home today, wooooooooo!!!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif

Glad she's coming home!

I hope they work out what is going on in her poor little body soon, she is certainly a fighter.

It is with the heaviest heart that this has to be my last and final update on Rue. I went out to feed this morning and she had already passed. She had been doing so wonderful at home, happiest baby ever. She fought very hard and was doing a really good jo

b. There was nothing else Rue could have done to stay alive and according to vets there is nothing else we could have done. I just don't understand how she was fine last night and gone this morning. She was the biggest joy and the most wonderful little horse I have ever owned. I only had her a short time but everyone who met her quickly fell in love, she will be missed by many. I will forever love and miss you my baby Rue.

DSC_0627.JPG

oh Lexi, I am so sorry to hear this about little Rue. My thoughts are with you.

xx

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh...I am so sorry to hear about little Rue. She was certainly a beautiful little girl and had wonderful care with you.

Oh no!! I'm so very sorry. No-one could have done more for her and at least she knew how much she was loved while she was with you.

Sending you ((((HUGS)))) and my heartfelt sympathy.

Latest posts

Back