CMM *Melody foaled a palomino pinto colt on 3/12/14*

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rue is so cute! hope she is feeling better soon poor baby!
default_sad.png

YAY for Summer! as Anna said its a very mare thing to butt rub lol on EVERYTHING! lol

with cameras if your going to put her on marestare thats fantastic
default_smile.png
you should be able to get a wireless camera, you have to have the modem within the range though, I know mine is 100m but has to be in a straight line and unobstructed... not sure if you guys have different kinds over there... but thats what I found with mine, then you have to have internet access at the site, don't know if thats an issue for you... hope you get it working though would be awesome to watch her!

Hows summer going? Any new pictures??
default_smile.png
and hows little Rue is she feeling better?

I was also thinking about little Rue too and wondering how she was doing?

Found out yesterday that the vet is now thinking she has a stomach abscess which I know nothing about. My mom got the call that blood work isn't much different and now there is a whole new book of concerns. When I arrived at the barn last night to feed I immediately knew something was wrong with Rue.

She didn't whinny or move from where she was standing.. I even took her halter down to take her out for a walk and she just VERY slowly pivoted on her hind end so she could face me. I immediately knew something was wrong with her hind end, my thoughts were confirmed when I took her outside.

She was having a very hard time moving. Back left was worse but there is definitely something wrong with both sides. Almost looked like something was wrong in her hip/rump area. She would stretch out and tilt her neck and head around to her left side like she was going to itch her tummy but she couldn't get that far. Was more than strange to watch.

I feel completely helpless and balled like a big baby because she looks to me like something may even now be neurologically wrong. We have a much sicker baby than we could have even imagined..... Vet didn't see any of this weird movement or walking yesterday and this morning she could move better, thank god. We are taking her to Dover our equine hospital which is about 2 hours away so she can be watched very closely and a series of tests will be run. Praying to finally have an actual diagnosis.

Please pray for little Rue!

I'm so very sorry about little Rue - it sounds as though she has a really bad attack of stomach ulcers from all the stress of the journey etc bless her. Will be saying prayers for her - sending you big ((((HUGS)))) too.

Hugs, thinking of you.

Ulcers are relativly easy to deal with once you know they are there.

As for her new issue is it possible she got cast and injured herself? I had a big scare when belle was being stalled where she must have pulled a muscle badly because when I found her it was like her leg was broken, the movement was that bad. Thankfully she came good within the day so it was rather minor, but a much larger issue could happen under similar circumstances.

Any up to date news? Still praying for you and little Rue.
default_yes.gif

Also how is Summer doing?

Thank you everyone! Means a lot to me
default_smile.png

Rue is at the equine hospital and I'm still here with her... Waiting for answers and a diagnosis!

Summer is good! Still very round! Will have to post pictures when I can take a breath and enjoy 5 minutes later this week! Will post updates on Rue as soon as I know something!

Poor little Rue, she is once again in a stressful situation just when she was settling down so nicely with you, bless her.

Will be praying that they can quickly find out what is wrong so she can return home as soon as possible. I'm sure it helps that you are there with her.
default_yes.gif

oh my gosh poor Rue! I'm sorry I wasn't on here earlier Lexi!

hoping that the vets are sorting out what is wrong with her and that they will soon have her back to her normal happy bubbly baby self!
default_smile.png

thinking and praying for all of you!

Thank you for ALL being so sweet and patient for my update!!! Its so nice to come on here and see the encouraging words and prayers, you are all the best!

Rue was at the hospital with me on Monday and was the biggest trooper EVER! Walked on and off the trailer like it was her job and took everything with courage and bravery. I think she did all of that for me because I hated everything she has had to endure in the past weeks and she barely flinched in the BIG new place with 10 + people surrounding her. Her neck and belly was clipped for ultrasounds and she didn't mind!

Her lungs have scarring from the pneumonia but all fluid is finally gone! When they listened to her lungs they could still hear mildly harsh noises but she is still improving. Thing I hated hearing the most was the word lymphoma due to her very high levels of white blood cells. The vet ruled it out later in the day though, thank god!

Her neck has several tennis and golf ball sized lumps that they also ultra sounded. They are a result from the way my vet from home injected her. He was doing IM and IV but a couple times decided to do under the skin injections and because of that her neck looks like a complete disaster and I learned it will most likely never be normal again. VERY upsetting to hear from the expert that its the other vets fault. It did not need to happen and it does slightly bother her. There are different therapy methods we can do in the future to possibly improve the scar tissue and lumps but we will see. The vet could tell how crushing it is since Rue was going to eventually show. But my baby is alive and thats all that matters to me!!!

We are now treating her with gastrogard for ulcers and an ointment for the lumps on her neck. She is SOOOO happy to be home and not be bothered with any more needles.

I have been around horses for only 15 years give or take and I have met TONS of horses but never one like Rue. She still seems to amaze me everyday and she is easily the smartest animal I have ever known! A complete joy to love! I had 2 german shepherd brothers "Sky" and "Dakoda" and Dakoda who we called Dee passed away at 2 years old from heart disease. A very difficult loss.... Anyways he always gave his paw as high up as he could literally ALL the time! He would place it in your lap of on your leg until you grabbed it and he always seemed to be smiling.

He was a very special dog and wonderful short life. When it was his time we made the decision for him because we always said we would never let him suffer or be in pain. The catch to this story is we were going to originally name Rue "Dakota" little change in the spelling to honor our special boy. We have little chairs at the barn and will sit in with the horses and the night Rue came back from the hospital with the good news I was sitting with her when she looked me in the eyes and placed her hoof in my lap. I almost fell over and then I said "hoof Rue" and she brought her little leg higher than her chest and placed her hoof in my hand. Mind you she has HATED her legs and feet being touched since she arrived.

Now every time we walk into her stall or open her door after her whinny she automatically giver her "hoof." Hope none of you think I am crazy LOL but means a lot to my family and I since we don't believe in JUST coincidences.
default_smile.png

I will post photos tonight! Thank you all xoxo

222532_10151318630943478_1559300679_n.jpg

What a little trooper! Good to hear she's home, and wow, what an amazing thing to happen!

I'm glad she's back home and it looks like you have a few answers!

My retired riding horse had some scar tissue/muscle damage worked on with a lot of success through massage therapy and a gentle stretch based work program. We could never fix the major damage but he is 'clear' of the minor stuff and paddock sound which is the most important part. I wish you just as much luck!

Oh I'm so very thrilled for you and Rue - what an amazing little girl she is!

So sorry to read about your beloved Dakoda, and yes, I can well believe that his spirit returned to help Rue through her traumatic time and even to tell her about his trick just to prove to you that he is still close to you.
default_yes.gif

We're all here for each other, and that's what makes this forum THE BEST!!!!
Agreed! The best thing about forums is being able to network and share experiences.

Another thing that might work although I haven't tried it on my boy yet is acupuncture, might be worth keeping in mind? I'll be testing it if I can find someone using it when/if my boy locks up again.

If you can find a good massage therapist get him/her to show you some basic stuff you can do to support the work at home.

On the ulcer front there's a product over here that you might be able to get over there called "Tuffrock" it's a volcanic mineral based liquid that I give the show horses, sick horses and weanlings. It's a great dose of "good stuff" and good for bad stomachs. If you can find it or something similar it's a nice natural support to conventional treatments. My vet also loves the stuff!

So glad shes feeling better and back home
default_smile.png
Im so sorry for your loss of Dakoda though.

Latest posts

Back