CMM *Melody foaled a palomino pinto colt on 3/12/14*

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
default_thumbup.gif

Quick rant....

On December 31 my mom yelled for me because a bird was in the barn. When I walked in she said "shhhhhh, look!" The brown dove had flown into Rues stall and sat on her window sill staring outside. Out of 20 stalls it chose Rues. Then it came down and was hobbling through the barn and acted as if it couldn't fly so I got the new pet bed and picked it up to bring it back outside. I was dreading putting it on the ground in fear that something would get it. I gently tried to pick the dove up and off it flew way up into a tree. I was thrilled!

The new rescue mini arrived yesterday!!!! She is supposedly Sweetwaters Miss Liberty, but I don't have the papers in hand yet. My family rescued her in honor of our sweet Rue and wait until you see the marking she has........... We named her "Dove" for obvious reasons! Oh and like Rue she has a very strange clip job. Someone clipped her face/neck and just the whites of her legs, so she looks very strange and stubby. The nasty halter she came with was replaced with the pretty pink one until she moves out of quarantine, then she gets her leather one that matches Summer!

She is the sweetest little thing EVER, and honestly these photos don't do her any justice. Tomorrow I will take her outside and take better ones. Hope you like the new family member, besides she is the new "niece"
default_smile.png

edit: the dove photos were supposed to be first, forgot to add them!

DSC_0761.jpg

DSC_0764.JPG

DSC_0766.JPG

DSC_0773.JPG

DSC_0776.jpg

DSC_0787.JPG

DSC_0789.JPG

DSC_0798.JPG

DSC_0809.jpg

DSC_0815.JPG

DSC_0715.jpg

DSC_0736.jpg

531343_10151403866378478_1977496044_n.jpg

533655_10151403866398478_1590267053_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on your cute little girl. [i'm thinking the odd clip job is to show off the nice head/neck and how nice the legs are; in winter these little guys look more like yaks than horses, so its often done to help the sale.]

She is adorable and that dove hmmmm.....gotta ask yourself dont you.... and that marking far out.. Congratulations on your new addition . I am sure Rue is watching over all of you..xxxx

Thanks everyone!! I really love her, couldn't have asked for a better personality. One of my Facebook friends sent me a msg saying she used to own her, and she had the most lovely filly while she owned her. Don't know much else since I haven't heard back again, I would love to see photos if she has any!

When she came in the first night she was shivering, probably from stress as well as temperature. What do you all think of getting her a blanket? Her neck and face are shaved and her poor little legs are bare almost all the way up. She has been fine since and seems very happy and relieved to be constantly munching on hay with her donkey friend. Oh and even if I get her a blanket to at least have on hand, should she be blanketed every night or only as needed? I know minis are so different from my big horses who don't grow half the amount of hair.

A standard blanket really won't do much to warm her, since its her head, neck and legs that are bald. She'd likely need a neck warmer (neck cover, not sure what they are called - not sure if i'd go with a full hood, too many things to get snagged) to do much good, if blanketed. If she has good shelter, and plenty of good hay to munch on, that will likely be all she needs to keep warm. If you are still worried, then perhaps a light blanket for those really cold nights, and only as needed. [i only have 3 that I've blanketed on a regular basis, and its usually just as needed.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh she is lovely - and very lucky to have found you! I woouldn't bother to blanket her - it wont keep her clipped bits warm - just make sure she has plenty of hay to munch on and avoid grooming the clipped patches (let her build up some natural grease/dirt in those areas), she will soon get a fuzzy covering of new coat growth as nature rushes to do a 're-growth' to keep her warm.
default_yes.gif

Thank you everyone, she is a lovely little girl! She has most definitely been loved by someone previously, you can do ANYTHING to her. I can't wait to get her out of quarantine and over to my place where I can let my younger sister and her friends play with her. She has the most gentle and loving expression! Yesterday started off good until I saw the vet that caused all of the massive lumps all over Rues neck, throat latch and thorax. It was very unexpected and hit me like a ton of bricks, thank goodness Summer was only 5 minutes down the street from where I was because I so needed to hug her sweet face. I know I will run into him from time to time because he treats horses at the big boarding stable that I currently keep my riding horses at, but yesterday was just very difficult
default_sad.png

Dove reminds me of Rue in funny, subtle ways. Yesterday I sat on the step that leads to her outside space from the stall and she practically sits on my lap, she likes to be as close to you as possible. She is extremely itchy ALL over the place and yesterday she was kicking up at her belly and swishing her tail, then bites both sides of her belly as well as her rump area. Poor thing has really dry skin.... Any ideas? I can't give her a bath as it is very cold here, I groomed her yesterday which she really loved but it didn't help her.

Is there any oil or supplement any of you would recommend to give her that could help? I also wanted to ask about grain, she always has a hay in front of her to munch on but I am not positive what to do about grain. According to her papers (which I don't have in hand yet) she will be 13 next month. Any recommendations at all would be awesome!

I also want to share that my day ended on a really good note, and I am still beaming from ear to ear! I was helping a friend raise the money to bail a beautiful white mini stallion with 2 blue eyes, and she sent the forms yesterday morning for him. I network all over Facebook and someone very graciously donated $25 and then a woman I was speaking with about 2 other full size loud appy colts who she sponsored. She saw the little mini and told me she wanted to pay the entire rest of his bail fee. My jaw must have hit the floor when I read the msg and couldn't even believe it. Doves money was raised in just about 5 hours and here this little boys was raised in about 1 hour. I am still pinching myself! He gets to go to his new home on Monday where he will be quarantined, gelded, and loved on by a whole bunch of 4h kids! Lucky little guy
default_yes.gif

I will look today Diane! I have seen many different oils, and my friend actually gave me a huge bottle she is no longer using. Would you use a particular one?

Diane could you recommend a good grain to get for her? She is just getting whatever the qt barn has at the moment which is why I want to switch. Summer is still on mare and foal so I don't know many grains that are good for the minis.

No new pictures, I will take some today
default_yes.gif

Diane I can feel a tiny bit of her backbone, but other than that her weight is good everywhere else.

The poor girl had a fever of 104 last night, but after being treated it was gone at midnight last night and still gone this morning. She is now on antibiotics and banamine. Her skin is so bad and so itchy I feel terrible. Last night with the help of 2 others and 3 flashlights, and a magnifying slide we found teeny tiny looking things in her mane. Which when I got home on the computer, I identified them as equine lice. FUN. I have been searching for hours and it says to bathe her fully but its FREEZING here, well its way to cold to get her soaking wet. I read online that because her skin is so bad she should be fully body clipped? I would hate to do that and would obviously fully body blanket her if I had to clip her to make her feel better. She practically throws herself against the walls/fencing to scratch every inch of her body. You can tell she hasn't been cared for in a long time, and her skin, coat, and feet really show it.

I was really hoping that this rescue would stay relatively healthy, since my last 3 rescues did. Stupid me.... Shouldn't I know by now that I have the worlds worst luck???
default_frusty.gif
:frusty
default_frusty.gif

The 104 fever made me really nervous, actually everything makes me nervous since Rue. Dove's breathing was even strange last night, I practically had a heart attack. Vet was called right away and I think may be coming out today. I know all of this comes from the auctions/brokers lot and knew it was more than likely to happen, I just wish it didn't. I hate seeing her down and really miserable in the way she is feeling. I took a few more photos but they aren't great and she doesn't look to swift. Sorry for blabbing!

I posted on your main forum post, but will add it here.

I use ProZap insectrin dust for lice and other external unwanted passengers. I used to order it from at American Livestock, but they closed down last January. Don't recall where I ordered my last shaker can from, but Horse Health USA has it: http://www.horsehealthusa.com/details/Prozap-Insectrin-Dust/89-10.html I keep disposible gloves in the barn, so usually wear a pair to apply the dust; I sprinkle it on the mane, down the back into the tail and on hte hocks, then rub in iwht a gloved hand. Forgot to mention on the other thread that it must be repeated in 10 days to break the lice lifecycle.

And, as mentioned in the other thread, to help her skin, coat and it helps hooves too; try adding Omega Horseshine to her diet (flax seed supplement). [if you usually order from Horse.com, they don't have Horseshine, but do have SimplyFlax.]

Just read the whole thread. So sorry about Rue. She was a beauty.

Summer is a doll baby. I see she has you scratching your head like my Dolly is doing me. Not sure how many more prego Mini's I can handle without going nutty. lol ! I see why you all call it the nutty nursery. lol !

Best of luck with your new girl. She is a cutey.

Just read the whole thread. So sorry about Rue. She was a beauty.

Summer is a doll baby. I see she has you scratching your head like my Dolly is doing me. Not sure how many more prego Mini's I can handle without going nutty. lol ! I see why you all call it the nutty nursery. lol !

Best of luck with your new girl. She is a cutey.
Thank you very much! I hope you join us more often here at the Nutty Nursery
default_smile.png

I don't have much to update you all on but thought you would like to see some photos
default_smile.png

Summer is wonderful as always, and I am really beginning to think she isn't pregnant. You can see how big her edema is in front of her udder, but the udder hasn't changed. But like always time will tell. What do you all think??

Dove is finally fever free for 2 days now! She is the sweetest and most gentle horse I have ever owned. Makes me really wonder what her life was like before me!

I don't think I ever posted that we have a shetland cross named Tommy at my barn with Summer, he is just a borrowed friend and they only see each other over the stalls and across paddocks. But Summer REALLY loves having another horse in the barn!

We also added a barn cat named Binx, he is a maine coon (probably mix) rescued from the streets. He just loves his life as the barn boss, and is a complete riot!

Hope you enjoy the photos!!

(more coming in another post below)

DSC_0663.jpg

DSC_0679 2.JPG

DSC_0667.JPG

DSC_0671 2.JPG

DSC_0667.JPG

DSC_0785 copy.jpg

DSC_0770.JPG

DSC_0689.jpg

DSC_0695.jpg

Binx.jpg

Binx2.jpg

DSC_0694.JPG

Ok and here is Sweetwaters Miss Liberty but we call her Dove.

Someone online and even the vet asked me today if she is in foal... I think she is just round.

Sorry for the photo overload!
default_whistling.gif

DSC_0699.JPG

DSC_0787 3.JPG

DSC_0622.JPG

DSC_0801.JPG

DSC_0799.JPG

DSC_0781.JPG

DSC_0766 copy.JPG

DSC_0757.jpg

DSC_0753.jpg

DSC_0749.jpg

DSC_0740.JPG

DSC_0719 2.jpg

DSC_0679.JPG

DSC_0740.JPG

DSC_0692.jpg

Fabulous, fabulous pictures!! Summer looks gorgeous - and IMO IS probably pregnant - so glad the lovely Dove has recovered from her 'bug', and your barn kitty is soooooooooooooooooo handsome.
default_yes.gif

We need more regular pics of your pretty furkids!

Oh i love main coons, i want one soo badly
default_smile.png
I love the green eyes!! And your girls are looking fabulous
default_smile.png
Glad that Dove is doing better and hope she continues to do so
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back