"Clip Clop" What can this noise mean?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
One of my horses makes a "clip clop" sound with his back feet.

It just began this summer. She never did that before.

I assumed from the drought, or some bad trimmings, and also the farrier busting her hoof knife on the feet it was due to excessive dryness.

None of the other horses feet make that noise. It just sounds like the noise you would hear say for instance if a shod horse were to walk on concrete. It's coming from the back feet, possibly pastern area.

There is no kind of lamness or stifle situation, nothing like that, just loud steps.

What are your thoughts?

It kinda sounds like what Melody is doing, except I'm pretty sure her ankle is popping as I can see when it does it and pops back in. I have the farrier coming out tomorrow.

I don't have any ankles popping or nothing snapping or going on. That is why I keep going back to those feet.....hmmmmm It's driving me goofy.

My stallion makes the clip clop noise too. Usually I've noticed it's more pronounced when his toes are a bit long (he's a real slow toe grower, so it's one of the things that tells me when he needs to be done). I only hear it when he's on concrete, or asphalt too. And not all the time. He's always done it, and never had any soundness issues at all. Unless you count me worrying because he doesn't grow feet as fast as everybody else does. I still haven't figured out why, either. It drives me nuts.

One of my geldings started making a sound sort of like that after he was trimmed last. It's more like a sucking noise, like pulling something out of the mud. I figured it was a bad trim.

I hear it when he is running.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marty,

There is no soreness in the feet themselves but from the ankle to just below both hocks.

It feels like maybe there is a slight ridge on the inside side of the hoof which makes the inside of the hoof hit first so it kind of pops the legs more of a side to side instead of up and down which would make it make that noise. I bet you could just take a little off the inside to level the hoof and in a few days it might right itself?

Bonnie

Latest posts

Back