Dogs...what to do

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you to all that replied. I've been reading every comment on here. Some, I wasn't too sure, I could even try, as ones, like the air horn, would possibly freak Halo out. I don't know. We haven't walked the road again since. I've been looking and we can still walk it some, and just not get to that house, turn around before, then go back and pass the driveway, where I board, on the other side a bit, so she will still get some time, walking on the road. I also, even though it can be a tiny bit tight, I did lunge her, in her paddock, and got her some exercise that way. We will always have things to work on with her. I just need to get creative. Someday, I want my own place where we can have her with us, and when that time comes, I will know what to look for in some property. Halo is very special to me. She is my "therapy". She brings so much joy and peace to my heart, that I would never, ever put her in harms way, on purpose. I know there is no 100% way to keep them safe, but I will do anything in my power to. My husband, who wasn't the one who has wanted a horse his whole life, and wasn't sure, when I said I wanted a mini, but told me to get one, if that would make me happy, has fallen head over heels for her, and I know, he will protect her too. I won't walk any part of that road without him with us. Not even the parts that I feel are safe, because you just never know. I like the ski pole idea or wasp spray, of something for him to carry, and may look into that. I don't want to cause any issue, between the BO and her neighbors. So, if we can get around from even going near the house, I think that is best. I saw the man, with the dogs, the other day, walking them down the road, with two girls with him. I was driving by and I smiled at him...all I got back was a scowl. So, I doubt befriending him would even happen, but if my husband and I have the chance, we will. Thank you again. I really like how this board comes together, to try and help others. You guys and gals are great!
default_yes.gif

I fully understand your frustration. In fact I am pretty sure I have a thread somewhere around here about the same exact thing. We live on a dead-end road (so only one way to go) with no place to drive on our property. Our road is a private back road with little traffic so pretty safe for the horses - except for one set of dogs. The neighbor has been approached since the spring to please keep them contained. We've chatted on friendly terms - but friendly terms wears thin when nothing is done.

A little over a month ago their dogs tried to attack my dog when she was out with me on our neighbor's property (across the road from their property - adjacent to ours - we were visiting) and that is when I called the dog catch only to get told they have THE RIGHT in this area to let their dogs run. Once an animal is injure I can then collect money in court over damages. Are you kidding me?

Well a couple weeks ago I drove past and there were no dogs out so decided to do some ground driving down the road (still not to the point of the cart yet) and the coast was clear. Coming back though - the older teenage daughter was up there with the dogs. They came charging up and she ignored it until they were right near us and I was waving my whip. She came screaming over "Don't hit my dogs!" I pointed out that I was trying to get them to stop charging and that neither was touched and wouldn't have come close to being touched if they hadn't charged us like they did. She got snotty with me and said that her dogs would not hurt a horse. Then started running her mouth about her family are friends with the dog catcher, etc. I finally had to walk away with a "I would just like to go down the road without being harassed by your animals."

Later that night the deputy showed up at my house. Guess they complained because I said something to their daughter. Told him what has been going on, what has been said, etc. Guess they made it out that I had just called the dog catcher that morning and they were trying to figure out what to do with the dogs. I pointed out that it had been over 2 weeks ago and that I've been complaining about the dogs since March. Also told him what they said about the dog catch being friends, etc.

He ended up telling me I should be able to go down the road with my horses and so any time there is an issue - don't talk to them and don't bother with the dog catcher/animal control - call their office directly and they would take care of it for me. He also said he was stopping by their place again to make it clear that the dogs harassing us was not okay.

I don't think the call went the way the other family expected. Unfortunately their dogs are still loose, but when the dogs start barking they come running out to grab them - so its atleast a start. So I would call your Sheriff's office and get documentation started on the problems you are having with these dogs. It might help.

I have similar frustrations. There are two dogs down our quite street that aren't aggressive at all, but extremely excited. They will charge all the way down the road and I have been jumped several times and gave me scratches all over my legs. These are BIG labs too. I haven't even been able to walk Breaker down the road because I don't know if the dogs are going to be there. I'm actually quite lucky because there used to be two different dogs down the road that were VERY aggressive. They had attacked a puppy once, and I was really scared whenever I would ATV past them that they would come chasing after me. Luckily the people moved. I'm just very thankful the resort across the street lets me walk Breaker on their property, and it's beautiful in there!

For safety's sake, and for the sake of, we board and don't own anything on that road, we haven't walked it since. I sure wish we could, but we can't cause any issues for the barn owner, so we have just decided it isn't worth it. Which is sad, as, we would love to take her farther, on her walks. Our goal is to get a mini van, or I even told my husband, that may be we can rent a U-Haul, small van and put tarps and mats in it, and take her somewhere. Then clean the van out really well, so they won't know what we did.
default_whistling.gif
If it was our home, and our property and we were having to not walk the road due to those dogs, I would be doing something, that is for sure.

Getting a van and hauling her to safer places to walk is a great idea -- we love our Chevy Express cargo van, and previous to that we used our Ford Windstar.

Be careful about using a rental van -- at least be certain to read your contract carefully. My sister rents frequently from Enterprise for her job, and they are strict about no pets in the vehicles. Other rentals may be different -- some even have horse trailers, so you might check for that.

Thank you..it was more of a joke, about the U-haul...I'm sure it will say no pets too, and I wouldn't/couldn't honestly do something, that they wouldn't want. I would check that out first.I'm not the type to do things dishonestly. But eventually getting us a van, of our own, to take her places will be our main goal, then someday getting property to have her with us, will be the next.

If you have a vehicle that can tow a trailer, some U-Haul places have horse trailers, or did at one time. I've seen a couple, but its been quite a few years.

We only have two Ford Focus'...if we had a truck, we would be looking into a trailer, but it would be cheaper for us to find a used van of some sort. I did just do a local search for horse trailer rentals, along with a pick-up, and so far, can't find anything with U-haul or any other place, for that matter.

Dogs charging, running loose and bothering other people or animals is NOT ok. And in my opinion, doing nothing is making it ok. Then it gets to the point that something bad happens- maybe not to you, but to someone. Report it and keep reporting it until something is done. Here, we are allowed to 'carry' and if I had the problem after several warnings, I guess I would take care of it myself. It's not worth being bitten, having a horse torn up- or have a horse spooked and bolt into traffic, etc... and end up with an even bigger problem.

I don't think, unless a person boards their horse/horses, one would understand, that you don't want to make waves or cause issues for the barn owner. I don't want to be asked to move my mini, again. It is super hard on her. I don't know if those dogs charge people, or horses on a regular basis. This was one time. I have never seen the dogs running loose, other than the one dog jumping the fence, at that moment. I've seen other big horses ride by and they didn't do that, so I can't say one way or another on if it is an ongoing thing.. It didn't seem like it would of been nice to us, if it had gotten to us, but honestly, I don't know. The owner got the dog, once I told them it was out. It also went the other direction, just from my husband holding his arms out. A super aggressive dog wouldn't of cared, in my opinion. But, like I said...we have chosen not to make waves. We like where my mini is at. Having to board brings a whole other frame to the picture. Not everyone will agree we have made the right decision.

Another thought...

Great Pyrenees are usually passive rather than aggressive. While they will protect their flock at any cost, they usually take the path of least resistance and only escalate if necessary. That doesn't mean they won't chase, especially if they are not used as livestock guardian dogs and have never been disciplined. Pyrenees are slow to mature, so that puppy behavior can continue even though they are huge, and if you're not used to them they can be intimidating.

Our year-old Pyrenees can be naughty, but she is EXTREMELY sensitive to eprimand and takes a scolding to heart. While you shouldn't have to, I'd suggest using your best big bad body language and your deepest voice and yell "NO!!! You go home NOW!!!"

All dogs are individual and it's entirely possible this won't work, but it's worth a try.

Back