Dogs...what to do

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyMiniGal

Reaction score
Yesterday, my husband and I took Halo for a walk along the road. I plan on ground driving her soon, and am thinking ahead and wanting her use to cars and such. I had her lead, and a crop, in my hand. My husband had a crop also. So a stupid dog owner, saw us, and then let his big huge, dogs...into an area of his yard, while the dogs were obviously too interested in us..barking their head off, growling, lunging in a fenced area, that they couldn't get out, but he let them into another area, that the fence was low, and I heard him tell a friend, that the dogs could get out there. He had also made a comment about how that horse was almost as big as his dogs. They were Great Pyrenese (sp) from what I could tell. Three of them. Anyway, as soon as that guy did that, one of the dogs, came right over the fence and headed for us. He wasn't heading over to us to be nice, and was making a lot of noise at the same time, all the while, the other dogs were still barking and carrying on. Halo and I did great. We just kept walking. She didn't spook and never acted afraid of them. My husband, all he had to do, was walk slowly towards the dog, holding out his arms, with the crop in one, and the dog backed down. I did have to yell, as calmly as I could, if they could please come and get their dog? They hadn't realized one got out. Not too many brains on that guy, I tell ya. Anyway, nothing bad happened, and like I said. I stayed calm, Halo stayed calm, and we just walked on. The dog got within about 10 ft. of us, is about all.

My question is, if I had been by myself with Halo, which, I won't walk her on the road like that yet. Want my husband there for back up for things like this. I walk her all over the barn property by myself, though. Anyway, if something like this happens, and I am by myself, what should I do? I know, that we have to stay as calm as possible, but what if the dog starts biting at Halo's feet? I am assuming, I need to step in and try and protect her, as that is what she needs to trust me to do, but how in the world do you keep a horse calm, and get a dog to understand to get away, at the same time? Any hints, would be great, so I have them in my head, if that ever happens. I personally, if that would of happened, would of been fine with Halo kicking the thing. But I don't want her to react, at all, if I could help it. She didn't spook with all the commotion going on. And I surprised myself and stayed calm the whole time. My husband did good too. He just walked towards the dog and didn't run. I think Halo is going to make a great cart horse, in that she doesn't seem to spook, that I have found yet.

I know the feeling. I've had dogs try to chase me while riding my Paint through the neighborhood. Usually turning him towards them and telling them to get lost gets them to leave.also had dogs charge at me and my two dogs when walking. That's when i put mine i na sit stay, position myself in front of them, assume a "leadership position" and tell them to get lost or I'll just continue calmly walking while ignoring them. So far so good but I always carry a training stick or crop and pepper spray. I was even thinking of getting a taser (sp?). I keep my dogs (one is a great Dane) properly contained and they are also well trained.i hate it when people can't keep control of their dogs and then can't even trust them to come on recall. I have one neighbor i called AC on bc they know and have warned me several times that their German Shepard is aggressive and jumps the fence. (So went in the World did they only put a 4 for fence up? ?) I made it clear to them (and so did AC) that by warning me they still have all the responsibility should something happen and it won't stop me from walking my dogs past their house. It worked, they added a hot wire. I wouldn't hesitate to call AC if I keep seeing someone's dog out and feel threatened.

I was thinking about pepper spray or bear spray...I should probably have something like that, on me, when I get to the point of walking that road, on my own, with her. Halo, honestly, just looked at the dog, like, it was just another walk in the park, with the cute doggie. LOL And it wasn't being cute. I wouldn't hesitated, to of hit the thing, with my stick/crop, if it had gotten near us. I just don't want to get kicked, in the process if Halo would feel threatened enough to start kicking, anyway. I know she wouldn't of been kicking at me, it would of been the dog, but things happen so fast. Yes, if this happens again we may just have to call animal control and have them give a warning. But, I think I would need to talk to the barn owner first, since we don't live there and we don't want to cause any issue with her place either. I'm hoping that the more those dogs see us, they won't come at us.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you were alone, it is good if Halo will stay calm. But, be certain you can control her even if she loses her calm--which could happen if a dog actually attacked.

If I were in that position--I would be carrying a whip (decent length, not a short crop--a stock whip about 5' long carried just for the purpose of self protection) if andog comes running, turn and face it; then if it comes closer I yell at it, and if it still comes closer I let it have it with the whip. I have also scooped up a handful of gravel off the road and pelted the dog with that. I find that if the owner is watching and doesnt call the dog back, pelting it with gravel or whacking it with the whip often causes the owner to call the dog (which may or may not have any effect, since many people have never taught their dogs to come when called).

If the dog attacked anyway--which has never happened to me--there would be a whole lot of angry noise from me and if I could land any kick or any whip strikes on that dog, I would. The horse would be welcome to kick the dog too.

Thank you. I do have a driving whip, I could take for on the road, just to be on the safe side. My crop, I had is 3 ft. long but I like the idea of taking my driving whip instead. My husband was ready to whack the dog, if needed. But it didn't come to that. The fence was only 3 ft. tall, in that area. Really...with 3 big dogs, that can jump over it? Not whole lot, on that guy's plate.
default_wacko.png

I think I would be carrying something a lot more significant than a whip- how about a paintball gun or even possibly (depending on the law of course) next time walk out with your husband with a rifle over his shoulder? Might just put the necessary amount of respect into these idiots- three dogs that size could easily kill your horse.

I think your first line of attack is to talk to local law enforcement and make a formal complaint (irrespective of leash/straying laws they are not allowed to permit their dogs to attack livestock)

If it is possible to actually talk to the owner I would certainly do that, maybe on your own (play the poor defenseless woman card) and if he isn't responding at all just point out in passing that your husband does have a gun and would really, truly, hate to have to use it to defend you (not the horse, it is always more serious if a human is in danger and there is nothing to say you were not) but tbh, I have seen loads of cases like this on this forum and I have yet to see a case where the owner says "Oh GOSH, I am SO sorry I shall make sure it does not happen again" so don't hold your breath. This is why I suggest making a formal written complaint straight off, and also lay it on thick about how threatened YOU felt.

Yeah, I am thinking of talking to the barn owner, and seeing if there has ever been any problems with these dogs before. I was so thankful, when only one came over the fence. The other's just stood there barking, but stayed inside. I like your idea about a gun...but my husband doesn't have one. Wonder if we could find a real looking fake one? Other than just staying on the barn property, that is the only road, we can walk her on. There are no others, that we can get to. And any others at either end, are super busy, with no where to walk on the side. This is when I wish we had a mini van to take her to trails and better places. There is an old town, near us, that allow horses and carts, in the city limits, walking the roads. And they have super harsh leash/dog laws.

Defininately some kind of spray, you would have to whip really hard if something happened and if you horse is thrashing around it would be difficult.

I do not know the laws where you live. The laws for my state give us the right to shoot and kill a dog if it is harrassing livestock, doesn't even have to bite it. I will NEVER give a dog the chance to get close to my animals ever again. If you can't shoot the dog, get yourself a ski pole (Goodwill usually has them, I paid 4 bucks for a set) take a grinder and make a sharp point on the end. Any dog brave enough to not back down will become a shish-k-dog in a heart beat! If the owner's do not care enough to keep their dog safe, I do not care enough to let it live.

It's too bad you didnt video it on your cell phone- I would have turned him in to authorities for a warning. Sounds like he did it on purpose to me- and he KNEW the dogs could get out. You have a right to defend yourself but in a case of a dog that really intends to attack- a whip is not going to do much good.

No, a whip won't do much good on a dog determined to attack. It may change the mind of a dog who is thinking of attacking but isn't dead set on it. Here we cannot carry guns and even bear spray is hard to come by. We could carry a club, or a hunting knife (easier to use if the dog attacks the horse's face rather than the hind legs)...the sharpened ski pole is an interesting idea....

And yes, even having the ine dog jump te fence and approach as he did warrants a call to animal control. It does sound like the owner knew the dog could get out of the one area and deliberately let him out there--he was likely disappointed that only one dog jumped out. I have no use

For those kind of dog owners. It's all sport until things go wrong and the horse owner hurts his dog--then listen to him yowl.

I would definitely NOT depend on a crop or even most driving whips, unless yours has a lengthy lash. I would get a long stock whip and practicing using it.

Ditto the paintball gun -- I wonder if you can add other liquids to the paint? If so, I would mix in skunk spray (or something equally foul), for something the dog owners would really have to deal with.

I like your idea, Susanne....and such a thing should give you a possible way to identify a dog/dogs if necessary, despite possible owner protests of the dog's innocence.

Margo

I can answer your questions easy. Don't go that way! You now know there is a threat of a dog attack. You can talk to the owner, you can talk to the cops, arm yourself with weapons but I would not in a million years set myself and my horse up to be attacked by going down there again. No matter what kind of protection you may have or think you have, chances are you can get as torn up as your horse. I love the idea of loading up and going to the area you mentioned which sounds a lot more safe. Maybe its not fair but I'd better be safe than sorry.

Thank you all for your ideas and input. I hadn't planned on going that way, again, but that also means, no walking on the road at all. If we go the other way, there is another dog, that I had already seen, loose in a front yard, and then this, way there are these dogs, not too far from the boarding property. Which is all really sad, as that just makes it to where there isn't much to do. I was asking for future reference, if it was to happen again, anywhere, not just in front of this guys house. Just breaks my heart, as, we don't have any way to transport Halo anywhere, so was hoping to be able to use the road.

Ok I'll take it one step further. I have issues with people wanting to bring their horses close to the road in the first place.

They do it here all the time. Some old law on the books says they have the right of way. But honestly, I cringe every time I see people riding or driving horses next to the road. I think its an accident looking for a place to happen. And it does all the time. And I think to myself what is wrong with those people! I happen to live on a quiet country road. Actually I own a good portion of the road and maintain it. But I also have a few morons who live on the other end who could come flying down here at any time not to mention the stray dogs which is one reason I don't drive any of my horses or even ride my old horse on the road. If I did I'd stay in my fenced or find a place to haul to. I have this great sense of self preservation. Horses have an instinct of flight and no matter how well trained you think they are and no matter how bomb proof you think they are, something can make them blow for no reason whatsoever; even a bug, a wasp sting, or a leaf blowing in the wind, things you wouldl never expect. And then you will have the people driving vehicles who will go out of their way to want to see your horse spook and might lay on the horn on purpose or side swipe you. The road is just no place to be. I've been doing this for 45 years now and hate to see anyone set up for a wreck. I think you need to stay away from the road. Just saying my humble opinon.

I guess I am confused by these answers, sounds like the dog was barking and being protective of its property but did not attack nor leave its property and come into the road...my dogs will run to the end of the driveway barking also but stay on their property. Carrying a gun is a bit over the top. A stick or whip is enough to back down most dogs. You might want to learn the dogs names, talk to the owners.

I expect my dogs to act protective of their property, have found people uninvited in my pastures or feeding my horses, had a 3 week old foal stolen off my property some years ago too, but my dogs are trained to know their bounderies and do recall.

Stormy, the dog jumped the fence and did come into the road and off their property. If it had stayed, behind the fence, and not come into the road at us, then it would of been no big deal. The dumb people have a 3 ft. picket fence, in a certain part of their yard, where big dogs are. Not too bright, imo. The road is a country road, and the speed limit is 25 and from what we notice, the few cars that go on it, (I've been watching it for 2 mons. before even trying it) have been very polite. We also wear bicycle vests, with reflectors and bright orange, and only walked it in daylight, in super nice weather.

This is a very frustrating thing to deal with. I was livid a little while back when I was working with my mini down our dirt road. I was ACROSS the road and I had a boxer and a large shepherd come flying at us. The shepherd was obviously the leader and was lunging at us (across the road from the property it was on mind you) and snarling with hair up all the way to the tail. This is off of another horse property to boot. NO ONE CAME OUT TO CALL THE DOG OFF (this is what really gets me). I am unable to put into words how angry I was. Then further down the road a large black lab bolted out at us off of his property again across the street. This was off of a long driveway to boot. Again, no one came to get the dog. The neighbors of the labs owner did see me yelling at him to go home as he was continuing to follow me down the road and act aggressively. They called to me "Oh his name is Jake. When he does that, just tell him to go home." Mine was "Oh I plan on getting some pepper spray next time...."

Latest posts

Back