Dogs...what to do

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marty I have to disagree with you. Not all of us have the room to drive our horses on our property. So we use quiet roads.

Yes we are taking a risk but we send our kids to ride bike and play on the same roads. The risk is the same.

I wish I had so much land that could put a driving trail on , but I don't . So I will have to use the roads.

I have always ridden and driven on the roads, mostly people are courteous and polite and there are, most certainly, roads on which I would not venture BUT it is my right to do so and as far as I am concerned if the council do not like it they can provide me with an alternative (which I should be very pleased to use- after all we have bike lanes painted all over our roads now!![do you have bike lanes in the US?])

It occurs to me that possibly your BO could talk to these people on your behalf- an intermediary is always better than a face to face, after all, and s/he may know them?

Yes, I had planned on talking the owner of where we board. I just haven't had a chance yet. And we were across the street, and not directly, up against their fence. Even if we don't go down the road, if those dogs wanted to, they could come on the property where we have Halo. It is fenced in, except for an open driveway. So, as far as I see it, there will be no place, no matter where a person goes, that will be 100% safe. We used all precautions we could, at the time. And yes, Rabbitfizz, we do have bike lanes, in the U.S. on this particular road, there isn't any. Most country roads, don't, around here. But there is an area, with gravel, about the size of a bike lane, off to the side, and that was where we were at, across the street. With super bright, safety vests one. We only had about two cars go by, and all of them slowed down, and went way around us. It is an area where there are lots of horses...so, I would think those type of people would know how to drive by one.

The unfortunate reality is that you can never totally protect yourself against either stupid people doing dangerous things or dogs doing scary/aggressive things. I do my best to minimize risks (I can sometimes drive my daughter nuts with being so obsessed with being careful). But in the end, sometimes things are just going to be beyond your control no matter where you go. Even the safest route could end up with a stray dog or a kid on a dirtbike or someone driving like an idiot. I have many stories of such incidents, like the Jack Russell terrier who ran after at us and barked and nipped under Max's belly (while my kids were driving!), or the fire engine that came down the road with lights and sirens on full blast the FIRST time we ever drove Max on the road!

If I knew that a dangerous dog was on the route, and that the dog was not safely contained, I think I'd just stay away from that side of the road unless I could come to an agreement with the owner. But I hope that you don't have to stop your excursions outside of the familiar barn and ring/arena, because venturing outside of these environments is not only good for your soul, but also good for your horse. Max is not a bomb-proof, relaxed horse by nature, but we've built a lot of trust over the years, and he handles barking dogs, groups of excited kids, cars, bikes, people on top of roofs or other unexpected places, campfires, and even fire engines with trusting confidence. At horse shows, he always seems to be the one that the visitors approach and pet and take pictures of. I think that exposing Halo to lots of environments and unexpected challenges will build your relationship together. Some dogs are dangerous. Most dogs are just annoying.

I had a big mare that would eat dogs if given a chance. I just rode with confidence, and dropped the reins and "let her do her thing" and stayed out of her way the twice we had a pit bull come after us. The second time she grabbed it in the face with her teeth. How that dog kept both its eyes is beyond me.....

After her, I NEVER get after my horses for being dog aggressive for the exact reason. My stud will strike at dogs that think its "OK" to run up to him like they would another dog or is being threatening. If my mini with a itty bitty leg can reach your dog, its too darned close. Being uncontrollable to "get to" a dog is unacceptable (obviously) but I refuse to get after him for defending himself. They know when they need to put up a fight, and I respect that opinion, same stallion had the barn dog (a lab) walk underneath his big ol belly one day, and he just stood stock still. But when a cattle dog trotted up behind him thinking about something he shouldn't he kicked right out at it. And I didn't do a darn thing but get out of his way and let him. Granted, against a big dog he wouldn't be much, but Im betting against a single lab he'd put up a fight.

A friend of mine keeps bee spray by the door of her house. It shoots farther than a pepper spray, and has more of a "stream" for increased aiming power. I keep a can in strategic places now. For use on any species, it will stop anything right in its tracks. Might not use on someone's pet, but if push came to shove, I wouldn't hesitate in the least bit.

I've heard of the wasp spray too. Big cans, would be hard for me to carry, with the lead, crop/whip/whatever else I have, but my husband can certainly carry it. I definitely won't venture up the road by myself. I would only do it, with my husband with me. I'm not even sure yet, if I want to. Other than to go and check, before we decide and see which side those dogs are in. The side with the higher fence that they can't get out, or the lower one? There is no arena, no round pen. I tried lunging her in her paddock and even though it is nice sized, it is longer than wide, and it was just too tight of a turn for her, and her being so young. She is getting bored just walking around the barn and up and down the driveway. I have tried to bring some sort of excitement to our walks by putting down a tarp, and a hula hoop, and I plan on getting a smaller piece of plywood, and make that sort of like a bridge. I even came up with a hide and seek game of a feed dish with treats, in it, last night. Told my husband what I want to do with that. But, the road, was to get her use to getting off the property. There is more room on the place, but it is filled with alfalfa fields. Anyway, the place is nice, just really have to use my brain to come up with different things to do. I've had mixed opinions on when to start ground driving her. So not sure when I am going to start that, but that would be something else. She is very food oriented, so going to look up how to teach some tricks may be. One thing, having a mini, has gotten my mind working all the time. LOL

Tricks are good to teach HOWEVER, think BEFORE you start a trick just how that trick MAY interfere with sometging else you may want to do down the road. Some horses can learn tricks and know that they only do tricks when asked. Other smartees will think of ways to use the tricks to get out of doing something totally different.

Oh you aren't called BSharp for nothing are you? Spot on, be very careful with tricks.....

I would get the BO to go and talk to them, maybe take the "It's going to cost me custom if they can't walk down here as they will move" (no-one said it had t be true!!) tack and see if s/he can get some sense from them.

I think this thread has gotten a little off base.
default_smile.png
My fault. But when I was meaning tricks I was meaning simple ones like touching their nose to something on command. Not sitting, rolling or things like that. I'm just thinking outloud but more is being read into my comments than I am actually thinking. ;)

When I was a young, dumb, teenager, I had a QH filly. She was my first foal that I chose her sire to breed my mare to. She was so sweet and so smart. I ponied her everywhere with me from the time she was a month or two old. She was pretty much broke long before I ever saddled, briddled or rode her. One of the roads we travelled took us past a house whose residents felt it was hillarious to sic their dogs on any horse(s) going down the street. One of them run out and nipped my filly on the hind leg, drawing blood, to the happiness of their owners.

I went home and taught that filly how to kick on cue. Once she had it down pat we went for a little trip. The owner's sicced their dogs, dogs came running out, I calmly raised my whip above my filly's back and when I felt the right time I cued my filly who lashed out and just missed the first dog's head! Funny how it wasn't so funny anylonger. Well, it was for me!

I never had to ask her for that trick ever again, and she never kicked out ever again. It was as if she understood why I had taught it to her.

BSharp...Ok, that is good! Not saying I am going to go out and teach Halo to kick, as I have no clue how to teach things like that, so wouldn't even attempt it, but that is neat, that you did that and she got right back at those dogs...almost too bad she couldn't of kicked the owners too. What is it with stupid people??? I don't understand them getting their jollies at other people's expense.

I think you can still turn him in for purposly endangering you and your animal. Atleast file a claim and that way there is something on file incase (heaven forbit) either you or your horse ever get hurt.

If it were me I'd forget about a crop and go right to carring a can of mace!

Some people are dumber than rocks

We have no proof it happened, and the crops, at the time, were for use keeping my mini moving, if she decided to get stubborn, which she didn't. We weren't thinking dogs, at the time, as the first time walking the road, we didn't encounter anything like that. Honestly, I'm not sure we can do much, by using Animal Control for this...they really want several things documented first, then they may actually go and do something. Even for a stray, you have to catch it first, before they will even come and get it. Had that happen once at our house. Big huge stray, called AC and they told me to go out and catch it? I was like...ins't that why you guys have catch poles?

Is there any way you can befriend the neighbor and get to know the dogs? Situations likevthis often work both ways...you have the right to walk on the street and he has the right to let his dogs play in his yard. He does legally have to safely keep them contained in his yard. If the dogs are loose and not contained you can call animal control and if he does not comply then he will be fined. If you can befriend him, you can maybe call him before you plan to walk your mini by amd if he is a good neighbor, he'll put them in or at least stsy out side to contain them. If he lets them out after you intentionally to be malicious then you should not talk to him directly, as any verbal confrontation could work against you. You can report him and he'll be dealt with. When walking your horse on the road where dangerous dogs are a risk, the best defense is to avoid them and walk in the other direction as you cannot rely on your neighbor to act decently in all situatuons. Carrying a pistol is how we defend ourselves when riding in the woods to degend against predatory animals (bear, bobcat, coyote etc.) you would have to really be in danger to get away with shooting his dogs in a residential area, especially because you already knew they were a problem. Legally it would cause issues. Maybe a tazer or a dog whistle would deter them but probably the best action would be to make nice with the neighbor or not walk on that street. In the event of a dog advance, staying calm is key. If you can get yourself and your horse away, many dogs wont wander too far from their yard so if you make it past the yard you may be okay. If you get chased and no one can call the dogs off a bat or stick may be needed to beat the dog off, but hopefully it does not come to that.

Good answer- very sensible. How about blanks in a pistol- would that still be illegal?

Go to walmart and go to the pool dept. buy one of those pool type guns that shoot water real far. Fill it with vinager and water. shoot the dogs in the face with it. It will sting their eyes, but won't really hurt them. Owners won't like the smell.

Something else you may wish to carry is an air horn! With the bugle on it is really loud and hurts their ears AND could alert others there may be a problem. It you remove the bugle, it makes a really high pitched squeely sound that really hurts ears (even ours). Non leathal, non dangerous, leagal to posess and inexpensive. You can sometimes find them at Dollar Tree in the party isle.

If you are going to carry an air horn better make sure your mini is used to the sound first!!
default_smile.png

Here's the issue I see- all kinds of defense things are carried, which may or may not work, when you are trying to hang on to a terrified horse and are concerned about the safety of your horse AND you. The dogs owners need to be approached by authorities and made to fix that fence so their dogs cannot leave the property. If they want to bark and jump up and down on their own property, so what. My concern is, what if next time it's someone's kid, or someone not so experienced or watchful and they panic? What's that dog going to do to a kid that starts screaming and running? This whole scenario is a catastrophe waiting to happen at some point.........

Also, got a cell phone that takes video? Get it on film that those dogs/dog are coming off the property and trying to attack people passing by.

I agree with almost all that has been said here but still feel the very first step is for the BO to approach what are his neighbours and ask them to control their dogs as he is losing custom through their behaviour- a white lie never hurt- they may well respond to this sort of approach better than even the law, which may anger them and cause retribution, or defensive tactics which definitely WILL anger them as people are like parents- their dogs can do no wrong and were "only playing" (I know, I know, if I had a dollar for every time I've heard that...)

Back