Calling all cooks

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixie_belle

Reaction score
Our neighborhood has a Christmas open house and we have been asked to host. I'd like to think of it as an honor but I fear it is because we are "fresh meat" and have been here less than a year. Regardless, I am making my list and checking it twice. Evidently there will be about 30 people coming thru the house and I will be expected to have finger food for them. There will be four other homes open the same evening so the folks go from one to the other of the houses. I don't have to feed them a full meal (good thing as there are way too many of them). So I've made my list but I'm open to new ideas. If anyone has a "knock you eyes out" sorta of finger food idea, now is the time to share. I'd love for them to walk (or waddle) away thinking I am a wonderful cook (big stretch there, believe me). I'm only planning on maybe a dozen things. It is scheduled for December 4 so I have lots of time to prepare (and try out recipes if need be). Any help would be greatly appreciated. And we won't even talk about all the house cleaning that will be involved here. Luckily we haven't been in the house long and I have just finished painting the entire inside so I'm good there. But let me know if you have any really yummy ideas.

Shelley

I have one that everyone would injoy. I made this one for 2 years one i made up.

You take oreo cookies and dip them in chocolate on one side and crush peppermint on top melted chocolate and let it sit so the chocolate cool down and then injoy.

Every time i get one i always see it gone , I make this every christmas.
default_smile.png

Leslie~

Hey you IRON CHEF !! 12 items is alot!! IMO 4 to 5 savory items along with maybe 2 to 4 of your favorite holiday cookies or confections would be more than enough....figure they are going to other houses too, You can even add a super dooper adult hot chocolate ( make ahead and leave it in your coffee pot ) or maybe if the guys are included little shots of really chilled peppermint Schnapps or cinnamon Schnapps...they sell little plastic 2 oz. shot cups at the party store about 3$ for 100.

I will round up some easy recipes for small crowds.

You may want to make a little holiday cook book showcasing your food. Red and Green index cards w/your recipes, holiday stickers, tied up w/a holiday ribbon for a take home gift and include a couple of your desserts( cookies )in a bag to take home too.

Think of easy crock pot things that can stay warm for awhile w/o a lot of fuss...IM thinking sweedish or sweet/sour meatball...little BBQ pork sliders on mini rolls.

Gotta go find more...later

Hmmm...Do you know where you are in the lineup? If you are the first stop, then you should be thinking appetizers. If you are the second then you will want to think about more of a main course type offering. If you are the third, then lots of sides, and if you are the final stop then desserts. Can you communicate with the other neighbors and see what they are doing so that there is some sort of harmony to the tour?

This is a very festive and sweet desert I fix on holidays.

You will need those little clear plastic decorated drinking cups and a plastic spoon to serve.

make a cup or two of minute rice and refridgerate it all night long

Mix

1 thing of cool whip

1 cup of cooked miniute rice

1 cup of fruit cocktail drained

a handful of tiny marshmellows

mix together and plunk in the little cups with a cherry on top. Refridgerate until ready to serve.

You could also do a cheese ball

Stuffed celery

and make those little weenies in the cresent rolls

This is my recipe for the best Christmas Hot Chocolate ever: (I made it up for the boys)

make some very rich hot chocolate

add Cremora

add whipped cream

add marshmellows

and add a candy cane

Best belly ache you'll ever have

Then invite me!

Last edited by a moderator:
Take a loaf of garlic bread put domestic ham and provalone cheese bake as directed and slice.

Potato skins

Make a pizza out of a Boboli pizza crust. Cut up chicken use a cajun seasoning cook in pan. Steam a chopped onion and broccoli put all on top this crust top with sharp cheddar and bake 375 until crust is a bit crunchy.

Cook a large pan of ziti drain use garlic olive oil and chopped pepperoni make this a day before and give it time to marinate serve warm with parm cheese like a casserole.

I can go on forever I love to cook

I love Allrecipes.com because other cooks can review and leave helpful tips on the recipes and because the recipes range from beginner-friendly to restaurant quality. We had a Halloween party last weekend, but I still wanted to enjoy the company, so I made the three very simple recipes below (among other things) and there were NO leftovers.

Oreo Truffles

My sister especially likes making these, and there are NEVER any left over. I like to dress mine up a little by using a toothpick to swirl in a white chocolate design or by sprinkling some crushed peppermint candy on top.

Crab Cakes

I'm a big fan of crab cakes, and the little ones this recipe makes are just the right size for a party.

Stuffed Mushrooms

When I have the time I use a more elaborate recipe, but these are pretty good in a pinch. I use a pound of the Jimmy Dean Sage sausage instead of the 1/2 pound the recipe suggests, and I sprinkle a mix of fresh parmesan and bread crumbs on top.

I suggest a SIGNATURE drink for the adults and mulled cider

Appetizer suggestions:

• Praline Topped Brie
  • Nutty Cheese Spread with Fruit Chutney
  • Mango-Pepper Salsa Crostini or Holiday Bruschetta
  • Raspberry Lemon Fruit Dip Or Orange Yogurt Fruit Dip
  • Olive Tapenade On Cucumber Stars
  • Ginger Peanut Butter Dip
  • Gorgonzola and Toasted Walnut Spread
  • Spicy Sesame Chicken Strips
  • Chocolate Dipped Fruit Wreath
  • Blue Cheese and Pear Canapes
  • Savory Pecans
  • Sweet and Spicy Meatballs or Merry Meatballs
  • Hot Crab Dip
You want simple but tasty items that will be satisfying and remember it's all about the presentation. You also want to make certain that your actually able to spend time at your own gathering and NOT in the kitchen the entire time.

Plus you'll be a hit with all your guest if you send them on there MERRY way for the HOLIDAYS with a small gift. My selection would be "White Chocolate Cherry Crunch" since it's easy to make and tasty.

If you'd like any information about any of these recipes feel free to email me directly at [email protected]

If you want that many dishes they need to be simple.

Every one loves this one. Get it ready ahead of time then bake it at the last minute.

Brie Cheese with Pecans and Kahlua

Mix

3/4 c chopped pecans

1/4 c kahlua

3 tablespoons brown sugar

Remove the top rind off of a 14 oz brie.

Spread the mixture on the cheese.

Refrig. until ready to bake.

Bake at 350 until bubbling.

Or Mirco wave for 1 -2 min.

Make sure it is in a dish with sides so it does not run over.

Serve with ginger snaps or apple slices.

Sweet and Sour Mini Dogs

You can use a crock pot for this if you want to keep it hot.

1 jar grape or current jelly

1 cup ketchup

Small jar Spicy mustard

1 can pineapple chunks

a few packages of the mini hot dogs or small meat balls or both

heat the jelly, ketchup and mustard up until melted.

Add the pineapple and meat.

This is best of made a day before and reheated.

Serve with toothpicks.

You can add more meat to the sauce of you run low. Just heat it first in the mirco wave.

Sausage Dip

1 frozen sausage roll

1 8 ox package of cream cheese.

1 large can of chopped up tomato with peppers and onion

Brown the sausage. Crumbling it up as it browns. Pour off the fat.

Add the Cream cheese and tomato.

Cook until cheese is melted. Continue cooking 10 min on low.

Serve with the Scoop type corn chips.

I normally would triple this recipe and it is always GONE.

Again make it a day or two in advance and reheat.

I wanted to add one more thing. You may not use this at your event but it's a must try.

Smoked Gouda mashed potato's they are the best and a nice change from plain or garlic mashed.

Actually I think it sounds like fun. I love to entertain....just never have a chance to do it.

Meat & Cheese Rollups Deli sliced turkey or ham with a slice of cheese. Roll up and cut into jellyroll type pieces. Very easy.

Chili-Cheese Dip 1 pkg cream cheese (8 oz)

1 can chili

Grated cheese

1 can chopped green chilis (optional)

Spread softened cream cheese in bottom of baking dish.

Sprinkle green chilis over cream cheese.

Spread chili over top.

Sprinkle grated cheese (sharp cheddar?) on top

Bake at 350 until sides are bubbly. Serve with your favorite chips.

Note: Use the same # of cans of chili that you use pkgs of cream cheese.

ie., 1 and 1; 2 and 2, etc.

Another good dip that I like to serve with Fritos Scoops

1 can black eyed peas (drained)

1 can shoe peg corn (drained)

Chopped green onion

Finely chopped celery

Finely chopped red pepper (or can use pimento)

Marinate overnight in your favorite Italian dressing.

Oh Oh and Chocolate Dipped Strawberries are always a hit.

If you want a cute item that will be remembered try one of these:

mouse.jpg

24 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + chilling

Ingredients

24 double-stuffed cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies

1 cup (6 ounces) HERSHEY’®S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips

2 teaspoons shortening

24 red maraschino cherries with stems, well drained

24 milk chocolate kisses

48 sliced almonds

1 small tube green decorative icing gel

1 small tube red decorative icing gel

Directions

•Carefully twist cookies apart; set aside the halves with cream

filling. Save plain halves for another use.

•In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until

smooth. Holding each cherry by the stem, dip in melted chocolate,

then press onto the bottom of a chocolate kiss. Place on the cream

filling of cookie, with cherry stem extending beyond cookie edge.

•For ears, place slivered almonds between the cherry and kiss.

Refrigerate until set. With green gel, pipe holly leaves on the

cream. With red gel, pipe holly berries between leaves and pipe eyes

on each chocolate kiss. Store in an airtight container at room

temperature.

--------------------------------------

For these I used the flavored cream cheese and the holiday picks you can find at Walmart.

penquin.jpg

Submitted By: Valerie Lynne

Photo By: christapants

Prep Time: 30 Minutes Ready In: 35 Minutes

Servings: 18

"Just imagine a cute display of penguins, made with black olives, carrots and cream cheese! You can add scarves and hats by using fresh red pepper strips, or canned pimentos cut into different shapes. Use frilly toothpicks if you can."

Ingredients:

18 jumbo black olives, pitted

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese,

softened 18 small black olives

1 carrot

Directions:

1. Cut a slit from top to bottom, lengthwise, into the side of each jumbo olive. Carefully insert about 1 teaspoon of cream cheese into each olive. Slice the carrot into eighteen 1/4 inch thick rounds; cut a small notch out of each carrot slice to form feet. Save the cut out piece and press into center of small olive to form the beak. If necessary cut a small slit into each olive before inserting the beak.

2. Set a big olive, large hole side down, onto a carrot slice. Then, set a small olive onto the large olive, adjusting so that the beak, cream cheese chest and notch in the carrot slice line up. Secure with a toothpick

oh wow, so glad someone told you about the penguins......I try to make those at least once a year....my husband likes to line them up like soldiers...(guess men never grow out of the boy stage)......but oh man are they cute and tasty! We love to have them at Thanksgiving!

Oh, MY!! How precious are those things
default_biggrin.png

OK, gotta do some for my grandaughter to take to school for treat day.

Well, the mice.....most kids won't want the olives, but I will!!! Just love black olives and also cream cheese...wonder how many I'll have to make to even have some to serve others?
default_unsure.png
default_wacko.png

I just saw this recipe and immediately thought of this thread. Looks like it would be good for a childrens project/party.

turkeycookies.jpg

Ingredients

48 sugar cookies (3 inches)

1 package (12 ounces) chocolate and marshmallow cookies

1 can (16 ounces) chocolate frosting

1 cup vanilla frosting

Yellow and red paste food coloring

Directions

Using a serrated knife, cut 1/2 in. from one side of 24 sugar cookies. Using a sharp knife, cut marshmallow cookies in half vertically. Spread chocolate frosting over the bottom of each marshmallow cookie half; align cut edges of a marshmallow cookie and a sugar cookie, and press together to form each turkey body and feathers.

Spread chocolate frosting over the cut edges of each turkey; position and attach near the back edge of a whole sugar cookie.

Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag. Insert a #12 round pastry tip; fill bag with 3/4 cup chocolate frosting. Pipe a neck and head on each turkey.

Tint 1/2 cup vanilla frosting yellow and 1/2 cup red. With a #3 round pastry tip and yellow frosting, add eyes, beaks and legs. With #3 round tip and red frosting, pipe snood and tail feathers. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 2 dozen.

My fav finger food is get your crockpot put a small jar of grape jelly, then add a jar of chilli sauce and then add your smokies and cook also you can do pigs in a blanket with smokies and I use the can cressont rolls. I roll the dough out and cut in strips and wrap around the smokies then cook in oven. Also you can go to simple perfect website or if you know someone who sales it and get all kinds of dips, breads to make and deserts that is so good. I love simply perfect. It's good and easy. My two favorite combos

Back