book recommendations about training mini's

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

limu1222

Reaction score
Hi I am a newbie to mini's! I have been around lg horses some and had a few 25 yrs ago but this is my first mini. He is 7 months old, 28 inches, 114 lbs and I need some help with various training. I really am interested in possibly training him to be a therapy horse. He is halter broke and we are working on verbal commands. He lets me pick up all of his feet and he did excellent when the farrier came for the first time. He tries to be mouthy sometimes, not sure if he will actually bite or not, but he tries pulling at my pants or shoes sometimes. Any helps in the right direction with books or videos, etc would be greatly appreciated. I really don't know what I am doing but wanted a mini since I can't ride anymore. Training a young one is a new ball game to me and I don't want to do the wrong things with him. Also interested in feed opinions. His previous owner fed him 1 cup of sweet feed once a day and hay. That just doesnt seem like enough to me. I was thinking more like 1 to 1 1/2 lbs of feed and hay. Thanks

At 7 months old, he should be on a good Growth or Mare/Foal feed, per directions on the bag plus good grass or mix hay (at least 2# total feed daily if he's 114#, proabably more). He's still a horse, just small, so treated him as a horse and train him as a horse.

Welcome to the wonderful world of minis, they are like potato chips... "You can't have just one". So, expect to want another in no time.

I have the books " The Book Of Miniature Horses " and "Training Your Miniature Performance Horse" and these books are great for training, showing, care, and much much more.... I highly recommend them.

Any thoughts on Nutrena Special Care feed? Supposed to be great for minis! Thanks for book recommendations!

Not training per say - but everyone who owns animals more than a goldfish should read 'Animals Make Us Human' and 'Thinking in Pictures' by Temple Grandin. Her work is phenomenal and really makes it easy to understand exactly how our animals think and how we can meet their needs the best

I would recommend having him gelded as soon as possible if not already too
default_smile.png

At 7 months old, he should be on a good Growth or Mare/Foal feed, per directions on the bag plus good grass or mix hay (at least 2# total feed daily if he's 114#, proabably more). He's still a horse, just small, so treated him as a horse and train him as a horse.

Welcome to the wonderful world of minis, they are like potato chips... "You can't have just one". So, expect to want another in no time.
Yeah one cup of feed and hay just doesnt seem like enough. I added Nutrena Safechoice Special care for minis. I can feel his backbone a little bit under all his fur! Lol he doesnt really like the bahai mixed hay and Ive only seen him eat it twice. I guess I will try alfalfa and see if he likes it. He does have some grass that he is eating and loves to find lil clover patches. Im just nervous about him eating too much and foundering. Im a newbie to minis and have been cautioned not to overfeed them but see people on this forum feeding alot more than he was getting before we got him. Lol I love potato chips and think Im hooked on minis!

Oh lol, I didnt read how old he is.

His man bits need to have dropped first obviously and I guess I have gelded as soon as possible depending on individual horse. Your vet can give you a good indication.

Whatever your vet feels comfortable gelding at is the best age, but I have gelded at one month of age and feel that the younger horses have a quicker recovery time.

Had excellent luck with Purina Mini Horse and Pony feed, and grass hay, with EquiPride supplementation. Noticed a difference in coat sheen with the Purina feed over Safe Choice.

I will risk going out on a limb here but I am personally not in a rush to geld Legend or even Luke (who is currently monorchid anyway). There seems to be a link between testosterone and joint health (with some critters anyway). Worth looking into anyway. This is not an argument against gelding by any means, that is Luke's future, but something to weigh.

Had excellent luck with Purina Mini Horse and Pony feed, and grass hay, with EquiPride supplementation. Noticed a difference in coat sheen with the Purina feed over Safe Choice.

I will risk going out on a limb here but I am personally not in a rush to geld Legend or even Luke (who is currently monorchid anyway). There seems to be a link between testosterone and joint health (with some critters anyway). Worth looking into anyway. This is not an argument against gelding by any means, that is Luke's future, but something to weigh.
I actually wanted to use Purina Mini Feed but no one carries it around here so thats why I went with Special Care thats for Minis also. As far as gelding, Im in no hurry unless I start to see a change in attitude, lol, thats what the vet said is a good indicator. Thanks for the input.

Special Care should be fine, low carb. Can they special order the Purina? I usually have to special order...

Luke isn't studdy by any means but he can be quite playful and ornery and buck just because he feels like it. I figure a change in attitude will come with some maturity. I never get a 'mean' vibe from him, ever. Just ornery. And smart.

Last edited by a moderator:
Special Care should be fine, low carb. Can they special order the Purina? I usually have to special order...

Luke isn't studdy by any means but he can be quite playful and ornery and buck just because he feels like it. I figure a change in attitude will come with some maturity. I never get a 'mean' vibe from him, ever. Just ornery. And smart.
How old is Luke? Sometimes my lil guy, Shiloh, is laid back and calm and other times running and playing, bucking, kicking. He loves to run with the lab pup. Might try to special order the Purina and compare ingredients to Special Care which Smells great like licorice. Lol

How old is Luke? Sometimes my lil guy, Shiloh, is laid back and calm and other times running and playing, bucking, kicking. He loves to run with the lab pup. Might try to special order the Purina and compare ingredients to Special Care which Smells great like licorice. Lol
Luke is a short two year old, foaled 2012. He tends to hay belly, and the Purina seems to have helped some with that. His coat is much shinier. He tends to be affectionate especially as we work with him, last time I trimmed his hooves he rested his head on my shoulder - we had been working on hugs, but this was unprompted. He just laid his head over my shoulder and stayed there, and I have to admit I got a bit misty. I just sat there and held his neck for a minute. He has a sweet heart. Just a kid, that's all.

Luke is a short two year old, foaled 2012. He tends to hay belly, and the Purina seems to have helped some with that. His coat is much shinier. He tends to be affectionate especially as we work with him, last time I trimmed his hooves he rested his head on my shoulder - we had been working on hugs, but this was unprompted. He just laid his head over my shoulder and stayed there, and I have to admit I got a bit misty. I just sat there and held his neck for a minute. He has a sweet heart. Just a kid, that's all.
How sweet! He sounds like a awesome guy!

Back