Hi from So. Cal.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat2182

Reaction score
I'm new to horses. I don't know what am doing, and I need help and advice. I want to someday train him with carting (I'm in San Diego) but have no idea where to start. I wasn't planning to get my mini until I retired, but he arrived three weeks ago! I know all horses require lots of work! Right now my biggest concern is about how much food to feed him. The vet will visit next week, but for now, he acts like he's starving. I'm worried I might make him sick.

You might want to contact whoever you bought him from and ask how much they were feeding him. That's probably your best starting point.
Hi,
I did, and she said give him one flake or one and a half a day. But he acts like he's starving. Thanks for responding.

Generally speaking people who restrict their minis hay that much feed it from a slow feeder net so they have something to munch on all day. Mine usually get a big fat flake in the morning and one at night. They also get grain twice a day. If you are giving one flake once a day he eats it real quickly and then is hungry.

Hi, Welcome
Did the previous owner feed 2x a day? They should be feed 2x daily. What hay are you feeding him? Is it the same as the other owner? If not you should slowly which him over to the type of hay you are using. It is good the vet is coming to check him over.
Let us know how he is doing and show us pictures, please 🥰

Congratulations on your new friend! Yes! If you are comfortable posting pics we would love to see your horse!

Feeding can certainly be a confusing issue! We are all somewhat different in what we feed and how much due to many variables, but the majority do feed twice a day.

One flake a day doesn’t seem like quite enough. In the summer, mine get two flakes a day and 1/2# of quality ration twice a day. Beginning in October, rations increase here due to winter.

Please continue to ask questions about anything and everything! If you have had a chance to explore the various threads you’ll see lots of questions and lots of experienced advice.

Don’t hesitate to write down all of your questions for your vet and note the answers if needed! I always think I’ll remember but sometimes not so much! 😂

Hi @Pat2182, Welcome!
I'm in Alberta, Canada but had the pleasure of visiting San Diego/Del Mar several years ago when we took my warmblood stallion down to spend some time with the crew at Arroyo Del Mar - Olympian Steffan Peters' place. What an absolute thrill. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed the entire equestrian environment down there.
I'm sure you'll find loads of information here to help you on your journey.

Latest posts

Back