Baby Owls !! 4 this time

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaladar

Reaction score
Remember last year we had 2 babies up high in the rafters...1 fell out and my husband built a nest box and attached it high up the east wall of the barn. We put the baby owl up there, but it fell out again and died
default_sad.png
Well, this year, the owls nested in the nest box and they have 4 babies!!!!

This is in the enclosed pole barn where I have my 40ft round pen,(and assorted other junk..sigh) and the babies hiss and peek over the side of the box and carry on when I am working a horse ...LOL

I took these pictures a little while ago standing on the motorhome. I am about 40 ft from them.

BabyOwlsMay16a.jpg

BabyOwlsMay16b.jpg

Here are the parents , I took this last year.

Owls1.jpg

Sue
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
That is just great -- you guys! Consider yourself barn owl "grandparents"!
default_wub.png
:

MA

I remember that!

That is so neat that they are back and in the nesting box.

Yes!!! I do remember!!! How awesome that they came back and are using "modern technology"!!! Thanks for the pics...they're so NEAT!!!

Oh Sue, they are wonderful! I remember last years pair too but four! WOW!! You tell Bob he did such a great job they went and had quads!
default_yes.gif
:

Wow, what a lineup of funny little mugs. I am envious!

We have a pair of Ravens but I never get to see anyone but Mom or Dad (one of them was born in our woods, has a white patch on his chest) but we feed them generously. *LOL*

Would love to see more pics as they grow.

Liz M.

That is soooo neat! I love owls but very rarely see them around here...

You have four more rodent catchers around!

How wonderful!

Andrea

:aktion033: That is so cool that they are back! They all seem to be pretty much the same size this year. If I remember right, the 2 last year had quite a difference in size.

We have a pair of small hawks that have a nest in a tree in our back yard. It's way too far up and covered for us to see though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel soooo lucky to have them here...the daddy owl has been here for at least 5-6 years, maybe longer, and he brought home his bride 3 years ago. They live in the barn year round. Thier favorite place to sit is of course right above where I stand in the round pen...LOL There are these huge black "pellets" made of fur and other things all over my round pen...

The surviving baby from last year just disappeared one day after he/she was fully fledged and flying around. I assume the parents drove it away.

It's pretty quiet here, I do have 5 JRT's but they are not allowed in any of the barns, especially the back barns. We have gates accross each door to keep them out. We have feral cats and I don't want the dogs to kill them...they have enough problems staying alive without the added stress of the dogs.

I'll post pics of the babies as they mature.

Sue
default_smile.png

Yep, last year the smaller one is the one that didn't make it
default_sad.png

Latest posts

Back