Kandi Land Minis - "Babe" EDA -4/15ish, Maiden

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KLM

Reaction score
Hello all you Nursury Moms,

Here I go... I have a maiden mare who is confirmed in foal. She went to the breeders 5/17/12 and was put in immediately with the stallion, stayed for two months and was sent home because she kept coming back into heat. Obviously something must have been wrong with her right???

Well, fast forward to the end of November 2012. I was looking at her after a rain storm and thought, wow... she just looks bigger than normal for her. (I have had her for 4 years and know her pretty well) Well, since I was taking my other horses to the vet to get teeth floated, I threw Babe in the trailer for the ride to have her preg checked. The vet barely got her hand in and proclaimed "Yup, she's definately preggo!"

So... Not sure what date she took, but I am going with the first breeding since she is still teasing my stallion and has all year. She has made definate changes in her belly and now I am going with her 300 days being 3/15. The below photo was taken 3/24.

So, here starts the questions...

1. When would you take a maiden mare to the foaling barn? (I work FT, 35 miles away from home and no one is there during the day to watch her.)

2. Yesterday she spent a good part of the day laying down. I also found her standing "wierd" back leg stretched, then switch to the other back leg stretched. And, not at all acting like her normal self. In a period of 30 minutes her belly made a lot of changes, from side to side baby to up and down baby. She always comes when I call from the pasture gate and she wouldn't. I moved her to a separate pasture where I could keep an eye on her. She is acting fine this morning and all night was her normal self. She was angry that she is seperated from the herd, so I put a yearling filly out with her for company. Is this normal? Just discomfort from the baby switching position?

I know I have more questions, but I will start with these.

Kandi

babe300.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello and welcome to the Nursery. First thing, your little babe is gorgeous
default_yes.gif
who is daddy? She does have quite a good size tummy going on for a maiden so you could well be right about her taking on the first dates.

Strange behaviour is totally normal as baby is getting bigger so it is getting harder to turn around which can be really uncomfy for the mare.

The herd makes them feel safe so it is normal that she got upset about being alone. Do you have a quiet older mare to put her out with? just incase she did foal outside it would be better if she had a more experienced mare rather than a curious youngster.

Once again Welcome
default_smile.png
and feel free to ask as many questions as you want, we will do our best to help you out.

Hi Renee' and thanks for the reply... A quiet older mare... LOL!!! All my mares are nuts!

Just kidding, they aren't nuts, just all performance horses with big princess prima-donna attitudes that think they should all be up on pedestals. I have one experienced mare I can put out with her at night. Not really older, they are the same age, 7 years old, but this mare has had a baby before. She may try to steal it, she loves babies! I will switch them when I get home.

Since I work so far away, should I take her to the foaling barn (I have a horsey nurse-midwife who foals out for me) this weekend? Hard to tell her exact due date and I heard with maidens they can go anytime after 300 days...

Oh... Baby Daddy is King Willie Willis, an Egyptian King grandson (The Bay)

I have attached a picture of Babe when she is her normal self... yes, still a little padded... she is an easy keeper.

Willie.jpg

babehalter1.jpg

I've been keeping my maiden mare in at night since day 300, but she's also been acting weird for a week now... All else fails, it has made her become comfortable in her stall, whereas she hates being locked up. Your mare is a pretty little thing!

Wow daddy is gorgeous ! This baby is going to be amazing
default_smile.png

Yes we normally advice to move the girls to the barn and close observation at 300 days, with her being a maiden it would be good to move her now. Always better to play safe. Will you be able to have her under cam?

Not sure about turning her out with a baby stealer lol do you have any non baby stealing not too nutty Princesses ? Lol

Thank you, She certainly thinks so! She hates anything cuter than her, so I am a bit worried about when the baby is born. Hoping she will be a good mama.

Thank you, I LOVE Willie. He produces very leggy babies (even tho he is only 28" himself)

The place where I send to foal out will put her under camera. And, nope, no "Nice" mares to turn out with her in the meantime. I do have a great gelding that I have dubbed the "babysitter" he protects everyone.
default_smile.png

I didn't process that he was the father... He's a beauty!
default_yes.gif
I guess it's all that sleep I've been getting!
default_pinocchio.gif

I would send her off to the nursery as soon as you can then.

Are we thinking pink or blue for this Baby Willie?

Everyone who talks about the baby says "She"... I haven't had a feeling either way, but I did come up with a cute boy name... Now I need a girly name
default_smile.png

Daddy is "King Willie Willis" Mom is "PWF Buckeroos Babe" I put the two together for a boy - KLMs Buck King Bronko... say it fast.
default_smile.png

LOL!! Great name for a boy!! Your little girl is gorgeous (so is Daddy) and I agree with Renee, best to get her to where she will be foaling to be safe - transporting mares too close to foaling can bring on premature birth.

Have you a couple of pics of her taken today and of her udder - has she started either an udder or some edema swelling in front of the udder yet?

She has a little edema in front of her udder...absolutely no bag to speak of. I feel her little bag "area" and it has a little puffiness, but definately nothing I would say is a bag, but more than normal and more than my other mares. All my mares are a little irritated that I keep feeling them up! lol

I have to pick my son up at the airport this evening, so I will try to get pictures in the morning and post tomorrow. I just made an appt with the foaling barn to bring her down on Friday morning. Fingers crossed that she waits!

Oh... another question. I wasn't planning on her foaling very soon, but now... Anyway, I have always done annual vaccinations on 4/15... is it still OK to do her now with her starting to act wierd? Will it hurt the foal? I can do it as early as tomorrow...

No it shouldn't hurt to do it tomorrow, I vacc my girls last year about a month before due date and one foaled a few days later the others went over a month later.

Cool, Thanks!

I was planning on doing them all (the whole herd) tomorrow, then this started with Babe yesterday and I started to worry. If she was being a good girl and following the rules that would be a month before I expected her to be due
default_smile.png

Thank you Diane,

I love this forum, you actually welcomed me here last fall when I found out she was in foal.

She is going to make life exciting for me for sure. I don't care if I get a filly or a colt... healthy is all I care about. :0)

Oh... and now I have a filly name... you guys let me know what you think:

KLM's Buck King Awesome or Fabulous... again, gotta say the Buck King part fast
default_smile.png
(I know, I am a dork!)

welcome back
default_smile.png

so happy you have come back to join us for the birth of your little baby.... both mum and dad are stunning!!!

the Aunties have pretty much said it all, I'll wait till I see some more piccies
default_whistling.gif
hehe

OK, Last night I took all the appropriate pictures. I swear she barely looks pregnant now. If I didn't have confirmation and saw her belly rolling the other day and her looking wide as a truck I would say, nope, shes not pregnant.

So all of a sudden I cant see her belly from either side when standing directly behind her. How can the baby be that high and tight? I know she is a maiden but geez!

Thoughts???

babe4-2.JPG

babe4-21.JPG

babebelly42.JPG

babebutt42.JPG

babecheechee.JPG

babehooha.JPG

high and tight means baby is in position!

Crap!!! she has no bag and I take her to the foaling barn on Friday morning... She is acting perfectly normal... should I worry? Does she look like a normal maiden mare???

Sorry... my first one this close at home. Usually she would have been at the foaling barn already but we really didn't think she was this close!

Latest posts

Back