"as the stomach churns"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck Charlene, I hope that Liz realizes that Amy just has to go, or she is going to lose the one employee that gets any work done around there! Waiting to hear the update!

i am still employed. amy is still employed but for how long, that remains to be seen.

i will go into a little more detail if you'd like to hear the gore later but i'm leaving for the city in a few minutes.

i started my talk today with "would you like fries with that?" liz said "OMG charlene! you aren't quitting, ARE YOU???" i told her i would give her one more opportunity to make this right. the gist of it was, i will no longer cover for amy, i will no longer do amy's work, i will walk out and not look back if things don't change rather drastically.

liz told me she was at her breaking point. i have known this for the past couple of days, especially yesterday, because we almost came to blows several times. in my 4 years there, there has never been a cross word between us. yesterday, we crammed FORTY years of cross words into one day. i told her this is not how i want our relationship to be. she agreed. she also agreed that things have gone downhill because amy has gotten away with murder. when we started counting up the days she has missed, it was mind boggling. the entire month of december, she worked ONE DAY/WEEK and she got paid for every single day she missed.

i think it took that to get my point across. i have kept track of the days amy has called in "sick" since december. liz has only kept track since february, that is when she started noticing things just weren't getting done. i still can't believe she let it go this long but like i said, she is just a kind-hearted woman who did not want to face reality until it began affecting OUR working relationship as well as HER INCOME.

so, that's it, in a nutshell. i came away with the feeling that liz will see to it that things will change. i know she does not want to lose me. she kept telling me over and over what a good worker i am. i kept telling her that is not the point. the point is, amy is not working AT ALL, good OR bad, and this is the last straw for me. i really think it woke her up.

more later. i'm off to the city for dinner with my son. thanks again for all of your support!!
default_saludando.gif

Good for you Charlene! I really hope for the sake of your working relationship with Liz (which you clearly both value) that she finally puts her foot down and keeps it down. My only concern with continuing to keep Amy on though is that she will blame the new demands on you or will continue to unload her dissatisfaction on you, replacing the old stress with new stress. Either way, I am really proud of you for standing up for yourself. Make sure you reward yourself at dinner!

Hope you had a good evening with your son and thought I'd tell you that I'd love to hear the gory details. It sounds like you laid things on the line about no longer covering for Amy and doing her work for her. I really hate being pessimistic about this but if Liz noticed that things weren't getting done in February it appears that she (for whatever reason) just isn't up to taking corrective action.

I'm definitely keeping my fingers crossed for you. Be sure and let me know when I can uncross them.
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Saying a prayer, and keeping my fingers crossed too, that Liz does the right thing by you.

I also hope if she does, you get a working partner who will REALLY do their share!

OMG Charlene!!!!! I have been gone a few days, and things are heating up for you again!!!!!!

I would tell Liz when you go to work on Tuesday and Amy is there, then you are going to turn around and not come back!!! Life is too short for this kind of crap!!!!! If Liz looses you, then she won't be able to be in court, she will have to stay at the office and do all the paperwork herself!!! You have some leverage, and you need to use it. I hope only the best for you.... Remember when Amy is gone, it will mean a 5 day work week for you for awhile, and that sux!!!!!

Charlene --

Sounds like you are doing the right thing and I hope for Liz' sake, she lets Amy go. If not, well... Liz is going to find out how to be a one-woman show.

One of my least favorite parts of my job is having to deal with employee issues. Thankfully we awesome assistants and don't have problems, but we have had in the past with others. It's no fun but it's MY job to deal with it, not an employee's.

Hoping Liz just bites the bullet and handles it. You'll both feel much better when she does.

Jill

Good for you Charlene!!! I am glad you talked to Liz about it all- it sounds like you do have a good working relationship with each other and sounds like the talk may have been positive, though it was tough- it made her realize some things, and you too. Hopefully now she will take the ACTION needed to fix this. I am sure it is not easy on her either, and it's not an easy thing to do to let someone go, but if they are not there anyhow.....

I think maybe she really realized it totally what has been really happening and the stress on you too in addition to on her, and you both agree that you (meaning both of you) can't continue to work that way.

I hope you had a nice evening too with your son/dinner and all and that you had some time to relax and laugh and just enjoy the evening.

Keep us posted! I am so glad you finally got all that off your chest-- if nothing else, doesnt that feel better, by at least having said what you needed to? I hope things work out well and it gets back to more 'normal' for you BOTH there!!

after i had my say with liz, i sat back and let her talk. she told me she has reached the breaking point. i knew this, without being told. liz is always on an even keel, never loses her temper, she's usually the one who calms ME down when things are hectic but for the past couple of weeks, i could tell she was simply fried.

unless one of us, i or amy, is doing paperwork that is complicated, it is our responsibility to make sure everything is set to go for court hearings. doing so has never been a problem and things have always gone smoothly. but that has changed over the past few months. just to give you an example...liz had an adoption hearing friday morning. when she got to court, in the middle of the hearing, she realized that not only had amy spelled the child's name wrong on the petition, she also failed to have a summons issued and did NOT send a notice of the hearing to the attorney who was appointed as the child's guardian. long story short...liz was embarrassed, in open court, that the hearing could not go forward. it had to be continued to monday (tomorrow) so that the paperwork could be corrected as well as the rest of the procedures be done properly...

when she came back to the office friday, just before lunch, and told me all of this, i was livid. i knew she would expect ME to do the work. she was close to tears. i told her to give me the file, i would muddle through it and see if i could correct the mistakes. i only did this because, for pete's sake, these people expected to have this DONE and they had even planned a little family party to celebrate the "birth" of their new child. she said no, this is amy's responsibility and she will address it with her first thing monday morning. now, next thursday is gary's birthday, i am taking that day off and i am taking friday off so i will have a nice LONG weekend. i told liz that i fully expect to get a text message from amy early monday morning telling me that since she has to work friday (her regular day off), she is not coming to work on monday. liz said if that happens, i am to call her immediately. she intends to call amy and tell her she HAS to be at work on monday. it could be verrrrrrrrry interesting!
default_new_shocked.gif

and then there is the issue of amy texting me wednesday and thursday telling me she's still too sick to come to work. i knew she would not be there friday also, heaven forbid she should forgo her long weekend. however, i also knew she would have a miraculous recovery by friday. i was right. got an e-mail from her friday morning telling me she was feeling much better and was going SHOPPING!
default_rolleyes.gif

it took a lot of talking (and hand gesturing...i'm italian, i talk with my hands!), before liz finally realized how *I* am being taken advantage of and how SHE has been enabling amy to go bumping along, getting her regular paycheck, missing work, while *I* am the one doing all the work, mine AND amy's. i told liz that obviously, i am jeopardizing my own job by refusing to do extra but i do not consider it "extra". why should i have to stay tied to my desk during lunch hour and stay late when i know darn good and well that amy is not as sick as she would like everybody to think and more than likely, she simply partied too hard the night before and is either hung over, still drunk, or just plain doesn't wanna BE there??? amy makes twice the money i do and does a mere fraction of the work, another thing that sticks in my craw.

we ended our talk by me asking liz if she intends to follow through on her promise and dock amy's pay this week for the 2 days she missed last week and the 1/2 day she missed the week she came back from medical leave. she told me yes, she fully intends to do that. and, she intends to have a closed-door session with amy to let her know that if she does not buckle down and start carrying her load, she will be fired. i made her promise that this would be amy's LAST chance. liz has to be able to back up her words with action. i am through coddling amy, my blood pressure won't take it any longer and i am sick to death of being on edge all the time.

another example for you as to amy's lifestyle. i got an e-mail from her last monday when i was off. she told me about her sucky weekend. how she had a "date" (her word) with some guy she had never met. she drove all the way to EAST ST. LOUIS, checked into a sleazy motel and waited. he finally showed up at 5 p.m. (she'd been there since noon). they chatted for a minute or two and he said he was going out for snacks and beer and would return shortly. finally, at FIVE A.M. sunday morning, he came pounding on the door. amy said he was so drunk, he could hardly stand up. SHE LET HIM IN. because he was too drunk to.....well, i don't think i have to get specific here.....she just got dressed and drove home. it's a THREE HOUR drive for her. she left her 15 year old daughter and 11 year old son home alone (her husband was working) so she could have a little fun. now, think of the absolute WORST inner city you know of and multiply that by 10,000 and you will get an idea of just how dangerous east st. louis is for a woman to be wandering around ALONE in. she is lucky to be alive.
default_rolleyes.gif
so, she's out doing things like this while i am scrambling to keep things afloat at home because during the week, i am simply too tired and too stressed to be able to do what needs to be done. what's wrong with THAT picture??
default_new_shocked.gif

so, there you have it, whoever wanted the gory details. i'm sure this isn't the end. something that has gone on for 10 months cannot be cured overnight but at least liz knows, in no uncertain terms, where i stand in all of this. it is now up to HER to make things better. we'll see.
default_wink.png

With that kind of life style Amy is certainly looking for trouble. I was born in E. St. Louis - it's not somewhere people normally admit being from - definitely a bad place for a lone woman to be roaming around.

If I were those adoptive parents I would be absolutely livid! Hopefully Liz's embarassment will give her the backbone and motivation to finally do something about it. It's a shame it had to be something that adversely affected innocent people but sometimes it takes a mountain collapsing on us to get us to open our eyes.

I really hope that this coming week gives you some kind of relief from the tension at work. Whether it's Amy realizing that she has to start doing her job or Liz telling her she's finally had enough. Which ever it is I hope your week is better!

I'll definitely tune in tomorrow.

Okay, Charlene!

Now you have another person addicted to As The Stomach Churns -- Harvey!!!

Eye drops made my eyes too goofy earlier this morning so I got H to read your post to me! And he was full of questions so I brought him up to speed on "when we last left Liz, Amy and Charlene..."

But you are doing good and you are right on. You're the one who is right, and I think Liz will finally lay down the law to Amy, who ultimately has GOT TO GO if Liz wants to have any kind of an office...

Last edited by a moderator:
Appy, my week WILL be better because i will MAKE it that way. if liz can't get a handle on the situation, it will be her problem and she will have to cope alone. the last thing i want to do it quit my job especially with no other job to go to but if that's what i have to do, that's what will happen. i am not only talking about my health but i have to be able to hang on to the last vestiges of sanity that i have!
default_biggrin.png

LMAO, jill!!

I am stunned... she is married and has two kids? Did they not wonder where she was for hours while she was at this hotel???????

All I can say is OMG! I just cant think of anything else ....
default_new_shocked.gif

And I hope that when Liz speaks to her next time, she remembers the looks on the face of that family and her embarrassment about not having stuff done for court that day.......

I am stunned... she is married and has two kids? Did they not wonder where she was for hours while she was at this hotel???????
All I can say is OMG! I just cant think of anything else ....
default_new_shocked.gif

And I hope that when Liz speaks to her next time, she remembers the looks on the face of that family and her embarrassment about not having stuff done for court that day.......
i was stunned when she dumped this on me a few months ago. "stunned" turned to "disgust" very quickly. yes, her daughter is 15, her son is 11. i have often thought the same thing...surely they must wonder where their mother is when she is gone all night. i don't have an answer.

no text message from her yet this morning but i'm expecting one. i will be very surprised if she shows up today. stay tuned! LOL
default_rolleyes.gif

I am totally hooked on your soap opera life Charlene!!
default_laugh.png
Stay tuned: Will Amy show up for work today? Will Liz follow through and dock Amy's pay for the days she has been calling in sick? Will Charlene get stuck with a bunch of work that is not hers, AGAIN? Will Charlene call it quits? Don't miss the next episode of As The Stomach Churns!!

And I used to think that soap operas were "out there"-- they just draw from real life don't they?
default_new_shocked.gif

I'm ready for the next episode.
default_jerry.gif
default_472.gif
Got my popcorn, got my drink, feet are up, I'm good to go!

Did Liz stick to her guns? Did she give Amy the boot? Did she yell loud enough to curl the shingles off of the roof? Did Charlene have to clean up after Amy once again?

That's about all of the suspense I can handle in one day!
default_new_shocked.gif

SURPRISE!!!! amy actually showed up today, i was shocked!
default_new_shocked.gif
she actually WORKED all day because she wants to take wednesday off.
default_rolleyes.gif
not sure how that's gonna sit with liz but that's between them.

i didn't get a chance to talk to liz today but i did hear amy mention that this week was pay week for her. it remains to be seen what happens with that. i'm off thursday and friday this week so i probably won't know till next week. oh the suspense!

no, i did NOT clean up after her. i had enough of my own work, getting ready for 3 jury trials, i don't have time to babysit amy. she's on her own.

i did make one request of liz and that was that if she intends to have a talk with amy (which she says she does) that she do it thursday or friday when i am out of the office. i think it would be too awkward with me there. IF she talks to amy like she promised me she would, i have a feeling that things could get rather heated. i want no part of that, i refuse to be caught in the middle.

i'm sure when the doodoo hits the fan later this week, i'll have another update for you.
default_wink.png

I feel a little guilty that I'm looking forward to posts about this. . . but I have to admit I am! Sorry for taking pleasure in your crappy work life, Charlene!
default_smile.png

LOL, ditto what Reijel's said!

But I do stay tuned for the next episode...

Brought to you by Tide and also by Green Giant vegetables...!

Latest posts

Back