Appy questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been breeding Appaloosas for about 9 years now. My main herd sire was born a true leopard. He was completely spotted from head to toe at birth. I searched for quality fillies and mares that were loaded with appaloosa top and bottom to be my broodmares. I especially looked for lots of leopards in their pedigrees. I do however stay away from Varnish, Roans, Snowflakes, and Especially any appy's with the grey gene in their pedigree. "Just my preference"

To date I have gotten some nice color but have also gotten solids out of two leopards. I agree with HG that breeding appys is a crap shoot. It's like opening a present every time and not knowing what is going to be inside till it's opened. But for me that's the fun of breeding appaloosas.

In 2009 Tino and Charina gave me my dream colt. A TRUE FEWSPOT. Now this is one thing appy breeders learn the hard way is what is a TRUE FEWSPOT!!! I'm sure I'm not the only one out there that has been sold a FEWSPOT to find out it really was a roaned out appy...LOL

Well here is my TRUE FEWSPOT "DRK ONE SPOT AT A TIME"

At birth and a couple days old...

charfewspotcolt3.jpg

taterwht.jpg

Here he is now in 2010

taterkellysmall.jpg

I bred Tino "Leopard stallion last year to my fewspot mare and this was the resulting foal.

"DRK ALL THE RIGHT SPOTS"

DSC00027ad.jpg

I bred Tino "leopard" to a near leopard mare and this was the resulting foal.

"DRK TINOS LIL TRIXIE"

6.jpg

This is the sire of the above foals "Toyland Tino Trix"

TinoFacing.jpg

I will have more to tell when my fewspot starts siring foals. For now I have gotten mixed color breeding leopard to leopard with no consistency whatsoever. I've gotten solids, fewcaps, blankets and a fewspot.

fun, fun, fun !!!!

Best of Luck to you Becky !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been breeding Appaloosas for about 9 years now. My main herd sire was born a true leopard. He was completely spotted from head to toe at birth. I searched for quality fillies and mares that were loaded with appaloosa top and bottom to be my broodmares. I especially looked for lots of leopards in their pedigrees. I have gotten some nice color but have also gotten solids out of two leopards. I agree with HG that breeding appys is a crap shoot. It's like opening a present every time and not knowing what is going to be inside till it's opened. But for me that's the fun of breeding appaloosas.

In 2009 Tino and Charina gave me my dream colt. A TRUE FEWSPOT. Now this is one thing appy breeders learn the hard way is what is a TRUE FEWSPOT!!! I'm sure I'm not the only one out there that has been sold a FEWSPOT to find out it really was a roaned out appy...LOL

Diane, I have admired your appaloosas for several years!! You have an awsome breeding program, and I'll be looking forward to seeing the foals by

your beautiful fewspot colt!!

Pam

I've been breeding Appaloosas for about 9 years now. My main herd sire was born a true leopard. He was completely spotted from head to toe at birth. I searched for quality fillies and mares that were loaded with appaloosa top and bottom to be my broodmares. I especially looked for lots of leopards in their pedigrees. I have gotten some nice color but have also gotten solids out of two leopards. I agree with HG that breeding appys is a crap shoot. It's like opening a present every time and not knowing what is going to be inside till it's opened. But for me that's the fun of breeding appaloosas.

Diane, I have admired your appaloosas for several years!! You have an awsome breeding program, and I'll be looking forward to seeing the foals by

your beautiful fewspot colt!!

Pam
Thank You Pam, I'm very excited about "Tater". That is his barn name "Tater Tot"...LOL

He is a beautiful young stallion and I feel blessed to have him.

Hey, Diane, I was wondering when you were going to join this thread! Love, love your appaloosas!!
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

Hey, Diane, I was wondering when you were going to join this thread! Love, love your appaloosas!!
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
Thank You Becky, I hardly have any time to get on here anymore...I'm actually home sick from work today and that's why I'm able to reply and check out to see what was happening on here.

Suzanne's mare is Gorgeous !!!

Sorry to hear you are sick, but glad you could chime in!

Yes, I love Suzannes' Fancy too.
default_yes.gif
I'm really looking forward to the day she's crossed with All The Right Spots. What a foal that should be!
default_aktion033.gif

Sorry to hear you are sick, but glad you could chime in!

Yes, I love Suzannes' Fancy too.
default_yes.gif
I'm really looking forward to the day she's crossed with All The Right Spots. What a foal that should be!
default_aktion033.gif
Yes, I agree ! Spots has lots of spots behind him !

I would urge anyone that is not sure if their horse carries the grey gene to have it tested before breeding it into your appy program. The test is simple and cheap and will save u much heartache. I started in mini appys with a black roan appy mare that really didnt show her true color(gray) for many years. In fact she was over 10 years old before I was sure. I sold her but know her current owner and now at about 15 years old she is pure white(grey). I also dont like to use true non appy roans in the appy program as the roan will fade out the appy spots, not totally, but as someone else said who wants a faded out appy? I sold a really beautiful stallion in the past once I saw his appy spots roaning out, UGH!!! Your best chance for color in your foals is a homozygous hopefully loud pattern carrying stallion/mare bred to another appy.

I am now facing new challenges as I used to breed appy to appy mostly for years. But now since I am showing in halter and driving and we all know most appys just dont have what it takes to win Nationally in halter. So I am trying to do some outcrosses to halter and driving quality non appys. I know I will get less colored foals but hope to improve overall quality and still keep my spots!
default_aktion033.gif

Love this thread! Here is my little guy. As a weanling....blanket.

9-10SonnyWeanling.jpg

And now, as a 2 yr old. In person, you can see black spots on his front end & neck!

10-10sonny.jpg

He will be breeding mares in 2011! Wish me luck! Breeding Appy & non Appy mares.
default_biggrin.png

Viki

Diane, you better take care of yourself and get well!! I too can't wait to see what your fewspot sires, knowing what is behind him!!

Nice Viki, he is a cute little guy.

LOL Hairicaine, I think some other Appy owners would beg to differ with you about not doing well at halter.......but I will let them join in on their own!

Diane, you better take care of yourself and get well!! I too can't wait to see what your fewspot sires, knowing what is behind him!!

Nice Viki, he is a cute little guy.

LOL Hairicaine, I think some other Appy owners would beg to differ with you about not doing well at halter.......but I will let them join in on their own!
Laurie, After 2 miserable days I'm just starting to feel like I'm coming back to life
default_smile.png
I guess Someone at work felt they had to share this illness with me UGH...

How is Spot doing ??

I'm with you Laurie, I think there are MANY MANY Gorgeous Quality Appys out there that can run with the blue in Halter.... Just need to get them into the ring
default_smile.png

Didnt mean to step on toes folks, I know there are some very beautiful well conformed appys out there that have won at National and World shows, Piano Man and Catch come to mind and Catch is also winning in driving
default_smile.png
. Also many other people have lovely ones sitting at home and my own McCoy was all show fit and brought to his 1st show as a 2 year old. The lessees of him were told to just take him home as appys dont win in conformation classes. Sadly the folks didnt even bother to show him and gave up. That was about 8 years ago but I do believe there is a huge prejudice against appys at the mini shows among many judges. So in a way the appys have to be even better built than a solid color in the halter classes to even get a look. That said I dont think even MOST of our better mini appys are going to be a World/National champion. If we are being honest most need some help in the head and neck department and of course one of the top professional handlers in the country seem to really help
default_yes.gif

Believe me Im trying to breed me some Appy National Champs LOL!! Had a few born this year that might come close, now if I just had the money to really promote one. Oh well that's a whole different problem
default_rolleyes.gif
Its a real challenge and know there is a dedicated group of us breeders out there working hard on it. Rio my wonderful driving appy is a National and a Res. National champion in driving and he also is a National Top 10 winner in youth halter geldings! I do KNOW we have some talented and beautiful appy minis out there! And I love them!!!!!

I absolutely agree with you hairicane. The appies have come a LONG way the past few years, but most still aren't where they should be conformation wise and that's because there are too many people still breeding for just color. I bought my few spot because I loved his proportions, which are fantastic, and because of his amount of leg. He has the amount of leg for a horse a few inches taller than him and he passes those long legs to his foals-love them! But, his head is plain (typical big appy jaw) and his neck set is just ok. I breed him to my very best non-appy mares to get the conformation I like with the appy pattern. I am pretty happy so far. My mares do such an awesome job fixing that appy head and neck set and my few spot adds the legs. My foals might not be the loudest appies, but they will never be the ugly headed, thick necked appies I see so often.

Now, not saying all appies are like that, but gosh there are too many that are. Each year it seems like there are more and more heading in the right direction though. I am a huge fan of catch and piano man and there are many forum members with appy breeding programs that I love as well. Can't wait to see all the beautiful appy babies next year!

Didnt mean to step on toes folks, I know there are some very beautiful well conformed appys out there that have won at National and World shows, Piano Man and Catch come to mind and Catch is also winning in driving
default_smile.png
. Also many other people have lovely ones sitting at home and my own McCoy was all show fit and brought to his 1st show as a 2 year old. The lessees of him were told to just take him home as appys dont win in conformation classes. Sadly the folks didnt even bother to show him and gave up. That was about 8 years ago but I do believe there is a huge prejudice against appys at the mini shows among many judges. So in a way the appys have to be even better built than a solid color in the halter classes to even get a look. That said I dont think even MOST of our better mini appys are going to be a World/National champion. If we are being honest most need some help in the head and neck department and of course one of the top professional handlers in the country seem to really help
default_yes.gif

Believe me Im trying to breed me some Appy National Champs LOL!! Had a few born this year that might come close, now if I just had the money to really promote one. Oh well that's a whole different problem
default_rolleyes.gif
Its a real challenge and know there is a dedicated group of us breeders out there working hard on it. Rio my wonderful driving appy is a National and a Res. National champion in driving and he also is a National Top 10 winner in youth halter geldings! I do KNOW we have some talented and beautiful appy minis out there! And I love them!!!!!
Everybodies toes are fine Jen...LOL At least mine were the last time I looked at them
default_new_shocked.gif

Speaking of show quality and appaloosas.. I had the most GORGEOUS colt this year out of my black leopard mare and Piano Man. Well he IS the most refined, Gorgeous with a Tiny head, Tiny Super Tippy Ears, Nice length of neck.. I'm talking GORGEOUS and he is solid black
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
Gotta love those appy surprises
default_biggrin.png

He is so superb that I am keeping him to breed to my fewspot and snowcap mares. And will try him with my leopards too. Would love to get his unbelievable refined conformation in my breeding. I have lots of refinement but he is the total package less/ the color
default_yes.gif
We will see how this goes ....

Pet peeve= folks refering to the 'typical Appy head'. The original Appy head was NOT ugly by any means. It is a product of simply poor breeding by some. Not ALL Appies have ugly heads. I have also seen not so keen heads on solids and pintos a lot so I am not sure why everyone points to the Appies about it.

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest, LOL

My toes are fine too Jen.
default_yes.gif

Diane, glad to hear you will try crossing your nice black colt with some of your homozygous mares. If I had some of those mares, I would have taken him off your hands, LOL I think you will get some wonderful babies from him.

default_smile.png
default_yes.gif

default_rolleyes.gif
Believe me, they win at Nationals. Appys walked away with the color class this year at Nationals. If you didn't see I believe that 4 or 5 out of the top ten were Appy. Usually my Silver Dapple stands a chance in color but not this year!

Diane your blk Piano Man son is lovely! And hopefully some color will come later. I have 3 so far solid appy bred foals born this year and they are all nice! Im sure hoping they get some color. One is sired by my Res. Nat. Ch. Ericas Big City Bank On Me HOF (solid Buckskin) out of a leopard mare. That combo gave me a buckskin filly with blue eyes. Have no idea where the blue eyes came from. My other 2 solids are sired by my appy Sids Rebel son, McCoy, out of appy mares, go figure. But all are lovely and Im proud to say I bred them. Thats the mystery of Appys u just never know.

I realized I never even posted all my 2010 foals on here and never posted our 2010 Nationals wins. Geez I better get busy.

Hey Sandee!! I wasn't talking about the color classes as appys usually RULE in the color classes. Thats why I said conformation halter classes. In multi color classes all that loud appy flash is usually a good thing, lol. But in the regular halter classes I almost think some judges get blinded by the appy and cant see through all that color to the real horse underneath. Not sure if that makes sense the way I described it.

One thing that really strikes me about the appaloosa stallion I just got, is his ultra refined body type and his tiny head. Something that I haven't seen a lot of in years past in a number of appaloosas. While he doesn't have a lot of color, his conformation is excellent and halter quality. It's great to see appaloosa breeders now breeding for more than just color!! However, lots of spots is icing on the cake!
default_smile.png

Sorry HG-didn't mean to step on toes either. Yes, there are a lot of solids and pintos with some not so pretty faces either. Appies DO often have a big jaw and boxy profile. At least a good majority of the ones I've seen do. That might not mean much since I'm sure I've only seen a few compared to the total. It took me a long time (3 years) to find an appy stallion with a head that I like that was for sale though. Emphasis on the 'what I like' part. Now, a nice head is just perspective. People like different things. I also don't like most hackney heads, but there are many who love them. So I shouldn't have said a typical appy head is 'bad' as my opinion is not rule by any means.

I apologize to anybody that I may have offended.

Latest posts

Back