Appy questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then Illusion and Frostay had this colt last year, Feather

2849186080011408775S500x500Q85.jpg

Illusion bred to Dawnie (here is Dawnie)

1203003593011408775S500x500Q85.jpg

They had this colt, Twee

2479985950011408775S500x500Q85.jpg

then this year Illusion and Dawnie had this filly, Dew with some black spots on rump and a few white ones too and lots of varnish roaning starting, will be interesting to clip her next spring!

2127412960011408775S500x500Q85.jpg

2401869910011408775S500x500Q85.jpg

Illusion bred to Sunset (here is Sunset)She is homozygous for tobiano as both parents are.

2045374290011408775S500x500Q85.jpg

here was Illusion and Sunset foal, a filly, Magic

2271457840011408775S500x500Q85.jpg

2227878450011408775S500x500Q85.jpg

Illusion bred to Foxie (here is Foxie)

1207046664011408775S500x500Q85.jpg

Illusion and Foxie had this colt Spirit

2855806040011408775S500x500Q85.jpg

Then Illusion and Foxie had this filly

2246097970011408775S500x500Q85.jpg

Here is another one of Illusion and Foxies filly.

2925213160011408775S500x500Q85.jpg

Then bred to Rose (here is Rose, she is a pintaloosa)

2859250170011408775S500x500Q85.jpg

Illusion and Rose had this filly, a solid bay.

2773800190011408775S500x500Q85.jpg

You can get pinto and/or appy patterns from a pintaloosa!! I bred our pintaloosa stallion to both appy and solid mares. Surprisingly, I got pinto foals from my appy mares and got a blanketed foal from one of the solid mares!! Go figure! Like HG said, breeding for appys is a crap shoot......but oh so much fun!!
default_yes.gif

Pam
When you mix Appy and pinto, you just never know what combination (or lack of) you will get! My snowflake Appy mare came to me with a solid black filly at side sired by Cross Country's Call Me Awesome, a wild-marked overo stallion. Not a white hair on her!

I saw in a horse magazine (as a kid--MANY years ago), someone bred their paint mare to an Appy stallion and got . . . twins: one Appy, one paint. Imagine their surprise when THOSE two showed up!
wacko.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll start for all the appy breeders. Now this post being about color is what I'm addressing. Not needed to say hoping for good conformation also.

I am really hoping with my breedings for next year to see a lot of black based large spotted appaloosas. I don't mind whether it's a blanket, near leopard, or leopard, as long as there are big spots. I prefer large spots to tiny ones and of course hope for spots of any type and not solid with characteristics.

Due to my stallions genetics all the foals, no matter who he breeds to, will have characteristics, somewhere, sooner or later. I have been blessed so far in that GB throws large spots and the majority come that way and able to see after first foal clip.

Two years ago the only filly I was a little dissapointed in (color wise) was one filly born from a solid white pinto with black head with blaze (mare no longer with me). The filly came solid with a small flicked butt and stripped hoofs. However, this fall the owners contacted me and said when they clipped her for a late show in October, they found large spots showing up.

My Stallion GB is bred to the following 5 mares, who you can see on my web site under mares.

Varney...April, KiKi...April, Ebony...March, Chicky...April, and Doodle...April.

The new mare Dusta...June, came bred to a black appaloosa leopard.

No one will be more excited than I am to see what shows up next year.

http://www.ptmminiaturehorses.com

I'll jump in here too... I have sold a couple of horses this year, so the only mare I have here that was bred this year of my own is my near leopard mare, bred to my National Top Ten leopard stallion I just sold. Their first cross was a fewcap filly! Woohoo! I also agree that conformation comes first, with color as the icing on the cake.

Here is the sire & dam and their first offspring....

Renegaderun61310site2.jpg

VixenL82408.jpg

First offspring at a year old:

Karmafrontwebsite.jpg

I am hoping for a near leopard, leopard, another homozygous filly or even a blanket with spots would be awesome.

Great idea, who doesn't love to talk about the eagerly anticipated 2011 foals!
default_biggrin.png

CCMF Carousel Carnival, these will be his first two foals so I'm really on pins and needles to see what he produces in conformation and color. He carries the cream gene, so hoping for a buckskin or palomino foal from somebody!

Carnival.rt1.6-12-10.jpg

1. Almost Heaven's Frosty Chip, I'm not really sure if she is a snowflake pattern, or roan, I'm leaning towards snowflake.

Frosty_Chip_6-08_sm-416x306.jpg

Bred to a stallion with a small blanket she had a snowcap, and bred to a fewspot paternal brother of Carnival's she produced this girl in 2009, so I'd love something with spots- leopard, blanket or snowcap would be fine too!

Crayonbox Color The Wind, owned/photo by Gayle Wilner

Whinny.show.4-3-10-356x296.jpg

2. Crayonbox Wild River Canyon, she's had a pintaloosa for me every time, when bred to a leopard or fewspot, so of course hoping for a pintaloosa with spots!
default_smile.png

Canyon.rt.sm.8-31-07-404x293.jpg

This is her 2007 foal, sire was a black leopard, Crayonbox Made You Look

Looker_lft_reg_8-10-07-324x283.jpg

I'll be anxiously watching for the appy foals.. I love my apps, but no longer breeding them, I'm hooked on my pinto boy Doc.. But I'll always have a soft spot for my apps, especially my SPOTS!
default_wub.png

Ok, so who else has (hopefully) spots in the 'oven'? It'll be fun to see what color combos we all actually do get. And if we are even close, LOL

Ok I will add my expected spotties
biggrin.gif

Mars Rosebud is checked in foal to Arions Destinys Magic Trick

Mars:

IMAG020.JPG

Magic Trick:

IMAG003.JPG

Previous foal from this cross:

IMAG027.JPG

I purchased Blue Diamonds Dream Catcher JS exposed to a black near leopard stallion, Angelridge Buck Spotted. Here is Dream but I dont think I can post the picture of the stallion since I dont own him:

IMAG036.JPG

I also purchased Monte Carlos Black Diamonds and she is vet checked in foal to BJs Fun Sized Happy Appy a sorrel blanketed stallion, Black Diamonds is a daughter of the gorgeous near leopard Bissel Mounds Monte Carlo, here she is:

IMAG037.JPG

Timberviews Buttons and Bows is checked in foal to COH Echo Express

Buttons:

IMAG024.JPG

Echo:

IMAG025.JPG

Maple Hollows Bodacious Babe (daughter of Mars Rosebud shown above) is exposed to COH Echo Express.

Babe (Echo is shown above):

Littlebitofeverybody092.jpg

Kaycee Babs is vet checked in foal to Arions Magnum P I my pintaloosa driving stallion.

Babs:

IMAG029.JPG

Magnum:

DSCF4906-1.jpg

R Cee Dream Angel (black pintaloosa) I purchased exposed to Quiet Dells Rowdy King Of Ambition a black pinto stallion.

Angel:

IMAG030.JPG

Wish it didn't take so long for these things to "bake"! I wont' be breeding these two until spring as the mare was my main driving and performance horse this year. This stallion has thrown appy in his two previous foals with solid (phenotypical) mares.

cropped2Aw.jpg

She has what appears to me to be Sabino roaning across her back - doesn't show in this picture.

File0010.jpg

It's going to be hard waiting (nearly 2 years) to find what color (markings) comes out of this crayonbox combination.

Hahahahaha, Diane... I am sure someone would let you know if you did, LOL
default_laugh.png
I am sure there are more Appy babies than that expected out there!

I have been working off and on for several days adding needed pix to photobucket so I can post on here, lol. Having problems with our pump and well, ugh! Here are some of our possible 2011 foals.

Bart-- Black few/cap homozygous stallion X Midnight-- Black/no characteristics 1/2 appy

Bart below

BarttrotpartextGOODwhiteflowers511.jpg

2010 leopard foal from the same cross, all their foals have been loud black apps from blankets to leopard

midbartcoltrunltGOODheadTailupBEST61910-Copy.jpg

Bart app stallion above X bay Champion Farms Nighthawk grddau.

lost an amazing loud leopard colt born premature this year from this cross

McCoy-- sorrel appy Sids Rebel son, 29" X Lady bay leopard mare

McCoy Below

McCoyleftbackGOOD507.jpg

2010 fewcap filly from this cross

ladymccoyfillyrightrunextshade51110-Copy-Copy.jpg

McCoy X Topaz-- sorrel snowflake appy Critter Creek mare

below is a 2010 filly from that cross, I expect her to color up

TopazMccoyfillytrotEXTsunfrtleftVERYgood3m83010.jpg

Lots more others too, lol

Hairicaine, my mare Solitaire is half sister to your Bart. He has sure produced some nicely colored foals for you. I do love your little McCoy and that little filly of his is just adorable.

Hairicaine, my mare Solitaire is half sister to your Bart. He has sure produced some nicely colored foals for you. I do love your little McCoy and that little filly of his is just adorable.

Thanks Laura! McCoy is proving himself to be a very strong producer of beautiful heads and necks among other things. I just love his foals from this year and 2011 will see his largest foal crop for me yet.

I would love to see a pix of your sister to Bart. Do they have the same sire? Bart has thrown a lot of color and he is the one that seems to make the loudest babies bred to solid non appy mares, go figure!

I have enjoyed reading this thread over the weeks, but hadn't taken the time to add to it, but will today.

There was some discussion of leopards. Here are two that we had this year: Little America's Pinnacle of Joy and Little America's Festival of Joy. Their sire is Little America's Kickapoo Joy Boywho is a leopard. Both of them are out of SOLID mares with no app characteristics. Both mares had an app sire but solid dams. The colts are actually 3/4 brothers.

Sire:
kickDSC_0255.jpg

Dam:
latexdoublex.jpg

Pinnacle -
pinnacleDSC_0055_edited.jpg

Dam:
suppertime_good.jpg

Festival -
festivalDSC_0536.jpg

My first app, Little America's Sesquicentennial Tex, which I bred in 1986 produced 45% app coloring when bred to solid mares with no app background. By the way he is the maternal grandsire of both of these colts.

More upcoming 2011 foals if all goes well

McCoy (Sids Rebel Son)

McCoyleftbackGOOD507.jpg

Bred to Jolene a bay based pintaloosa mare--Jolene shown below with filly sired by Orion son

joleneslatefillybothtrotfrtydGOOD507.jpg

McCoy (pictured above) Bred to a Buckskin dun Champion Farms Nighthawk graddau- not appy bred

shown below with previous foal from different stallion

rosedanfilymomtrotnicemom1d7508.jpg

McCoy bred to Cheyenne a blk near leopard- She is an Orion and Yellow Diamond Little Feather grd dau.

cheyennerunrtheavyfoal510.jpg

Below is the 2010 filly from this cross, Love her!

CheyMcCoyfillyrttrotweedsGoodheadneck3mth83010.jpg

I have several mares bred to Tino and one to Alliance Piano Man

Toyland Tino Trix..

TinoFacing.jpg

Mares bred to Tino for 2011..

Toyland Charina..

Charina_near2.jpg

Six Gems Sheza Spotted Sensation..

Sensi1.jpg

Six Gems Baby Trinket...

3.jpg

This one I am very excited about..

Alliance Piano Man..

IMAG018.JPG

Bred to Blue Chips Formalattire Masterpiece

BCFormalAttireMasterpiece4.jpg

I am enjoying this post! Tony I like the looks of Pinnacle too! Diane K. if you don't get some few spot foals in 2011 I will be shocked! You certainly have made some great crosses, please let me know when the foals start comming! We haven't bred many for 2011, but have plans to breed a lot for 2012 and are excited about those! Lavonne

Latest posts

Back