Anyone with type II diabites?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have it, I didn't have it until I had a liver and kidney transplant 2 years ago, I am on 28 pills aday and for the diabitis I am on hemolog (Insulin) and Lantus(long lasting) They had me on byetta a new med that is out for diabites that helps you lose weight to but I got really sick from it, I check my numbers 4 times aday. You can get light headed and feeling weak if your sugars aren't right and you can gain weight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good for you Marty :aktion033: . Stick with it
default_yes.gif
: .

Experiment with different positions on the fingers and with certain blood glucose meters they don't need as much blood so you can get enough from your forearm and that doesn't hurt as much. Having someone else do it is always worse than doing it yourself as well. Fingers will become accustomed to it and it won't be as bad.

You can do it
default_thumbup.gif
: !!!!

Mona, are you following the leader
default_unsure.png
: ????

Amanda

Geez, Sue S you have it even harder. You have to watch closely to save your liver and kidney plus everything else. What caused the pancreas to go, the antirejection meds?? The sad thing is that those meds help and hurt all at the same time.

I don't know if you've read the rest but I've had a kidney/pancreas transplant two years ago this past Labor Day weekend. I also have a high liver function but so far so good and they've not found anything with that. I've had a beopsy done for it and tons of bloodwork.

Amanda

Mona, are you following the leader
default_unsure.png
: ????

Amanda
Well, I was already checked for it last Fall. They did the test(maybe the one Marty mentioned. Jill told me to have them do it last year...Jill too has always been VERY helpful for me.
default_yes.gif
: It was one where they can tell what your average levels were over the past couple of months. They also did the test where they take your blood, then make you drink a half bottle of this SWEET orange pop like drink, then wait an hour or two(can't remember which), then take blood again, and then doing it a 3rd time. That was how they found out I do have problems. She told me I WILL have Diabetes eventually, so now(from last Fall forward) is the time to start changing my ways. I can honestly say, I have changed some, but I can also honestly say it is a small amount, and I give in way to easy to myself. Just like today...after reading your horrible fact-filled story, it scared me into saying I will start changing...a couple hours later, I grab a bag od winterfresh mints and set them at my computer, thinking I might as well eat them as I have to start changing my ways. :eek:
default_frusty.gif
: That is what I do...I give in by making excuses for myself. I carefully choose what I SHOULD eat, eat it, and am proud of myself that I did, then I walk by the cupboard where all the cookies and goodies for hubby's lunches are, and I grab and eat 3 lemon cookies the first time, then later on another 2! :new_shocked: I guess my biggest achievment is cutting WAAAAAAY down on my Pepsi. I used to drink it A LOT, and now don;t buy it anymore unless I am travelling and I can;t get Diet Sprite. Or, if I am out in a restaraunt I have Pepsi, but I have been good and rarely buy a bottle to drink in the car anymore. I just have to stop BUYING the bad things. If it is not here, I am OK...if it is here, I have to eat it until it's gone...I'm a HOG!
default_yes.gif
:

The other + side things are that I had started walking(but stopped and need to get back to it again now that things have slowed down for me again) and that I try to eat meat, cheese or nuts after I eat sweets. I guess that is my downfall...I think if I "chase" my bad foods with the good things, I will be OK. I have also gone back to using artificial sweetner in my coffee. I can;t stanf the Equal, Sweet n Low etc. I buy Hermasetas. They are a tiny little pill that is super sweet, and to me, tastes much more like real sugar, without the bitter taste of the other types. You have to ask for at the drug store as they keep it behind the counter.

I do have other diet pop here but I rarely drink it. Sometimes when I am really thirsty, AND craving sweet, I drink one, otherwise, I mostly drink water.

I must be getting OLD...my memory is shot! I just looked back in the archives and found my original post about my doctor visit. I thought it was last Fall, but it was early this year!
default_yes.gif
: Here is that thread...

http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.ph...amp;hl=Diabetes

Marty,

I have been on my diabetic diet now for 2-1/2 weeks. It ain't easy for sure. But I already feel MUCH better. I can't believe I let things go so long. I got to where I could barely walk and it was affecting my vision. I was in a semi stooper most of the day, especially after I ate anything. It got to be really scary.

I have passed up a mountain of rolls I would have dearly loved to scarf down in the past couple weeks. But I can live without them. And don't even talk to me about the ice cream I have not had.....I did find out that Wendy's lets you get a side salad instead of fries!!! I never even dreamed of asking......

But I have a new grandson to think about and of course, my baby minis would miss me so.....LOL!

Hang in there. I am sure we will get through it. (I hope)

Mona, so slowly but surely you are making changes. Good :aktion033: ! As far as husband's snacks, it wouldn't hurt him to change his eating habits as well. If he won't and those have to be in the house have him lock the cupboard and he has the key.

For the mints don't set the whole box there. Take a few and put the box away. Keep youself occupied so you won't think about going back. There is another artificial sweetener out that is somehow made from sugar but is used like equal or sweet n low, but I can't remember the name of it. You could try that too. Teas instead of soda would help too if you like that.

Isn't that orange sweet soday stuff just great? (yeah right
default_rolleyes.gif
: ) Drink that stuff too often and you won't want sweet stuff ever again.

Scaring people into action sometimes is the only thing that works and if it does then that's one less person that suffers.
default_smile.png

Both my parents are Diabetics (guess it doesnt look to well for me eh? Luckly i eat somewhat health and am always on the go) and to be honest it scares me to death! I worry because they are 'up there in age' and i know they both do the best they can, the medicine cabinet proves that ..its loaded with meds and perscriptions.

I know they are not going to be around all that much longer, i think i read somewhere that diabetes takes 10 years off your life ..is that correct or just a myth/rumor type thing? My mom is 60 and dad 74, it sometime scares me so much i just break down at night hoping and praying they will still be there in the morning. Think about Dan marty! My parents do the best they can, they still stray from what they should do and go get that big mac or eat that slice of cake, and i know it costs them. If you wont do it for you, do it for dan.

Looking at it from the childs P.O.V, I know my parents wont be around to see my kids, my dad wont be there to walk me down the isle at my wedding or where im at 10 years...maybe 5 years ..heck, maybe even next year. Marty please take care of yourself do it for Dan, please :saludando:.

When I went to my classes the insurance company required I learned how to cook with Splenda. It tastes

pretty good and no after taste.

Try it to me it's the best....

When I went to my classes the insurance company required I learned how to cook with Splenda. It tastes

pretty good and no after taste.

Try it to me it's the best....
I have never cooked with artificial sweetener but I have tasted it in my coffee, and don't like it. I will stick to what I am using, as I know already that I like it.

Leeana, people with diabetes can live as normal a life as someone who doesn't have it if they take care of themselves. Big macs and cake are not forbidden you just can't have them all the time and with alot of other carbs all at the same time. Just because your parents have it doesn't mean you are going to get it.

Also, it's a disease that isn't the best in the world but it is treatable, not curable but treatable.

I must have a million guardian angels and God has looked out for me with as stupid as I have been. I posted what I did to get those people moving who were putting off what they knew they needed to do. It was not meant to scare the general public unless you know someone who pretends it isn't happening and then by all means let them read it as everthing I've said is true and what I posted is only skimming the surface of all that I've put myself through. Enjoy every minute that you have. Be happy for the now and don't worry about tomorrow. Live today like tomorrow isn't going to be there. I will lose this kidney and pancreas too. I don't dwell on that. I live every day the best that I can and don't think about the what if's. I am grateful for every second that I have that I don't have diabetes or kidney failure and when it happens again I'll be just as grateful that I had the time i did and that if I do right I can continue on

I actually perfer the splenda (or any artifical sweetner) over regular sugar honestly. I have a habit of putting 1-2 little packets in my bottle of water from time to time, its actually really good. Adds a little flavor to the water. Its better then pepsi
default_smile.png

Just something else for you to try out maybe now that the artificial sweetner thing came up, it might be able to be a 'health alternative' for a sweet tooth from time to time
default_yes.gif
:

It is really good to see in this thread how members can come together to help and inspire others. It's uplifting. I think people have been helped and educated from this thread and the differences it can make in lives in when it comes to educating about this specific subject are beyond measure.

It is really good to see in this thread how members can come together to help and inspire others. It's uplifting. I think people have been helped and educated from this thread and the differences it can make in lives in when it comes to educating about this specific subject are beyond measure.

default_yes.gif
: I AGREE! WELL SAID, Jill!

One of the secrets to the artificial sweeteners is to not use the entire packet. For Sweet N Low, about 1/3 packet is more than enough for a cup of coffee. For Splenda, about 1/2 a packet. I love Splenda, was so glad when it came out since I cannot use Nutra Sweet, that stuff is poison to me, so that ended my use of any kinds of sodas. Now, with Splenda out, I can sometimes have diet pop.

Oh, Mona asked me for more info on the Glycemic Index book. I didn't find that exact one, but did find this website on the subject and it also has books on it that looked good. http://www.glycemicindex.com/

I am NOT an artificial sweetener fan, don't like the stuff - most of it is just gag you sweet and leaves an aftertaste. I tried Splenda not long ago and have to say, it's the first one I've liked. I use it now in my morning coffee, it's not too sweet and has the same taste as suger to me.

Jan

You ladies have inspired me to start trying too, I'm tired of not feeling well every day.

Thank you.
default_yes.gif
:

Tomorrow I go for the glucose tollerance test. I can't exercise because of the nerve damage in my back and legs. This thread has been eye opening! I go to the Dr's on Oct 10 to get the results. This is scary stuff, I thought hitting 40 was health changing but this 50 stuff is waaay harder. Change is not easy for anyone and as we get older it's tougher, but knowledge helps. Thank you all for sharing your stories for us new diabetics, it shows that it can be done. I'll miss my pepsi and potatos :no:

Lee

Well, I had the test today. The worst part was the waiting around. The glucose tasted like flat sprite, not bad. But this afternoon I was exhausted and took a nap, now I feel like crap. It's dinner time and I'm not hungry, the smell of the food makes me sick. Is this typical?

I'm calling for the results tomorrow, I can't wait until the 10th.

Lee

Wishing you good luck on the results, but if it turns out you do have it, just know that finding out and getting treatment is going to make a world of difference in how you feel.

My husband has been diabetic for 4 ? years now . He also has the high blood pressure to go with it. He is on Simvastatin , Glipizide, Actos, Metformin, Metoprolol and Quinapril he is also on Asacol for his ulcerative colitis . He has been maxed out on his meds and will be starting on insulin shots most likely , his next doctors appointment is next week . It really isn't that hard to change your diet , just start with reducing the bad stuff a little at a time and soon you find out that you really can do without it . It is like with any diet , everything in moderation.

Latest posts

Back