Anyone with type II diabites?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd probably go for the Complete Idiot's Guide one because I like the format of those books. Also, that version of Type 2 Diabetes (Complete Idiots Guide) and Diabetes for Dummies are great to understand what your body's doing. I wish they had more nice sounding names for those books, but they are great and helped me out a lot to understand things more easily.

I definately don't like the sound of this. I keep hearing that dreaded "E" word creeping up and if anyone thinks I'm about to do pushups they had better call a crane to get me up off the floor..........not the exercise type here unless it's Sweatin to the Oldies........ :lol:

I love carbs.......everything I eat I think is a carb! What's not a carb in this world???

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Marty, I hear ya! No "E" for me either, but a nice brisk walk is considered "E" and that is all I will be doing! I LOVE to walk, but sadly, hubby doesn't. I prefer to walk down the road, and he prefers to use the treadmill, which I hate! I am nervous about walking alone as I am afraid of bears, wolves etc. I was taking Shimmer, but then summer got too busy, and I fell off the wagon, and havn't walked now for a month I guess. When I was walking, it was only about 2 miles a day, but was at a good brisk pace. I actually DO feel better when I am in the habit of walking.

As for carbs, not sure on all of that, BUT, when the dietician was telling me what to do(I was told I should lose 30 pounds as that helps the diabetes, and also helps my most recently diagnosed severe sleep apnea, so I really should do it!) that just staying away from sugars such as "sweets" is not good enough, because there are natural sugars in many things that I thought before was diet food, such as fruits and vegetables! Now I find out the more "leafy", or "greens" are the best. All the good fruits have sugars, and the veggies I love the most such as peas, carrots, corn etc. I need to stay away from. Wat the stuff like broccoli, lettuce, spinach, green and yellow beans. I HATE leafy foods...do I look like a rabbit to you??
default_rolleyes.gif
:

So I think you and I are in the same boat on this one. Let's do it together!! Wanna start now? To really make an effort?? Nah, OK, you win! :aktion033:

I definately don't like the sound of this. I keep hearing that dreaded "E" word creeping up and if anyone thinks I'm about to do pushups they had better call a crane to get me up off the floor..........not the exercise type here unless it's Sweatin to the Oldies........ :lol:

I love carbs.......everything I eat I think is a carb! What's not a carb in this world???

Doc wasn't in today but the staff is thrilled I'm coming in next week to get this sorted out. Thrilled, I'll bet !they are a bunch of vampires who love to jab me for my blood all the time......but totally awesome staff so I'm lucky to have them really.

My husband is one of five siblings. He is the only one - so far - who is not diabetic. He lives on Dr Peppers so I don't know how he will dodge it in the long run. He has lost an older sister (she was 60) already to diabetes, she was obese and ate everything and anything she wanted for years. His younger sister found out she was diabetic the hard way. She was unconscious and in a diabetic coma when her grown sons decided something was wrong with mom and they maybe ought to call someone.
default_wacko.png
: She is lucky to be alive, numbers were off the charts when ems picked her up - she does take better care of herself now, though probably not as much as she should. It's tough to manage something like this day in and day out. It is a disease that creeps up on you, and one that is so commonplace now - I know so many people who are diabetics or have it in their immediate family.

Jan

Marty,

Look to more protein -- most of us don't get enough anyway but, an important consideration for diabetics.

The small meals, more often are definately better as you want to keep your sugars "level".....you can do well by not eating almost any bread but, especially the nice soft white kind!
default_wink.png
: If you must eat bread make it whole grain, low sugar. Try some of the wraps -- but watch content as some of those are no/no. Eat lots of fiber. Artichokes are good -- in many ways. And I've heard that coconut oil (organic, extra virgin -- health food store) can help bring high blood sugar down within an hour or so -- should you have that need --

with just a tablespoon or two. Certain spices help, also.......cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg are a few....now there's the makings of a great pumpkin pie!! The pumpkin is a powerhouse veggie, also.

I have enough insulin for me and another, so I often have low sugars. I need to stay on a diet that is like a diabetic. So, low glycemic, hi protrein and all that. Soy products are great, many nuts (not all).....walnuts, almond, sunflower seeds work for me. Soy milk is quite good, actually.
default_yes.gif
: A little nuttier tasking than cows milk (and I love milk, drink about a gal a wk) but soymilk is quite good in cereal...or cooking. Soy beans, stir fried, are tasty -- lotsa protein and fiber! Greens they want you to eat are not lettuce, but kale, collards, spinach, etc. Broccoli, brussel sprouts, asparagus and so on. If you want a high sugar veggie, use less of it and mix with a high fiber, high protein one. Have a little bit of carrot with broccoli, fresh soy beans, etc. Onions & garlic are also good to eat (for many reasons).

You can get sweeteners at health food stores, like Stevia, but they are quite costly. However, if you cannot learn to do almost without, it is worth the price. And take a good multi vit/min tab every day. I also drink low carb, hi protein canned products....Slimfast, Boost, Ensure, Advantage....buy some singles and find one you like the taste of. The are great for a quick fix. Often I am running out the door to work and drink one during the drive -- or when I run in the front door and head out the back to the barn to feed. If it's "time" to eat and I don't have the time, these really help -- Plus low calorie.

Tuna, skinless chicken, turkey breast, lean beef.......hey, heat the grill!!

Bottom line -- have that cookie with a glass of soymilk !!
default_wub.png
:

As to "E" -- well, briskly walk the fence line each day to check it for breaks, damage, etc. Maybe if you have a reason other than "E"
default_rolleyes.gif
: it won't seem to be such a bad thing. I walk about a mile a day to complete 2X pasture, water tub checks and feed, etc. Trust me, some days I trot those distances as I'm in a hurry! Take a horse for a training that is outside of the round pen. Walk, trot, stop, turn, right along with them! You will both enjoy it -- well, before long :bgrin you will.

YOU CAN DO THIS------
default_wub.png
:
default_yes.gif
: Just look in the mirror and tell yourself you are one of your own animal pets and will get the nutrition you "need". Isn't that what you do for the dogs & horses?????

I only come here to read anymore, but with all of you who are denying or putting off doing anything about diabetes Type 1 or 2 I'm going to use some scare tactics that might help you out and push you just a little more to do something NOW instead of later when it is TOO LATE.

When I started caring it was too late and I was bad for only a few years but that's all it took.

I was diagnosed with type 1 at the age of 17 months old. I had problems with low blood sugars when I was younger to the point of reactions and once was real close to diabetic coma. I never want to take an ambulance ride like that again. Then my teen years hit and puberty screwed things up alot but then I turned 16 and being able to drive did me in. There wasn't things at home that could do me major harm but no problem I can go to the store as I can drive now and no one is with me or will know. Here comes the high blood sugars and I mean high like 800-yes the doctors in the ER were suprised I wasn't in a coma. 17 years old I go to college a year early even better. Now I can have the food or candy or cake-whatever in the apartment, no need to hide it as my family isn't there. I started in August and came home in December as I'd been in the hospital 3 times in that amount of time. At home I was better but not much. I couldn't have it at home again but would out. At 20 I decided to wake up-didn't matter. Damage had been done. I had problems with highs and lows. The lows they could never figure out as when they happened no matter what I ate the sugars would not come back up and I ate and ate and ate until I was in the IV with basically sugar water going through my veins.

28 years old, I have what's called floaters in my eyes. Left and right. There's a good chance they can save my left eye they tell me. 25 percent for my right. Two surgeries in two months with beng face down for two weeks after 24 hours a day I lost all sight in my right eye. The left is damaged but saved through major laster treatments- they hurt. One month after the second eye surgery my kidneys failed completely to the point where I went to the hospital in an ambulance because I had fluid in my lungs as there was no where else for it to go. They used a special oxygen mask to force it out. I knew my kidney's were slowly failing but they suddenly decided they were done. I spent half of October of 2004 in the hospital, literally 15 days. After that it was kidney dialysis 3 days a week and 4 hours every time. You can barely drink anything as you no longer urinate or at leasat not enough and talk about a strict diet. On the days I wasn't in dialysis I was recovering from the day before and preparing to handle it the next day. Forget playing with the horses. My friend, 12 Oaks on this forum had taken them for me when the hurricanes came, kept them through my eyesight failing, and had them until December when I could finally get them home but my husband cared for them the majority of the time. For those of you afraid of needles check out the dialysis needles and you'll be more than happy to do insulin shots. I won't lie, the shots might not hurt some people but they did me, not all the time, but they did. Your fingers get tired of being pricked. Would I do that now instead of what has been done because of my stupidity? You had better believe it. I was blessed, lucky, whatever you want to call it as 11 months after I started dialysis I was called for a dual transplant. I got a kidney and pancreas. I was in the hospital for a month. I had the transplant surgery that took 12.5 hours instead of 6 like normal and then went back in two days later as the pancreas had a hematoma. It's been 2 years this past Labor Day weekend and thank God no episodes of rejection yet. MY body will end up rejecting them, most likely the pancreas first, and I'll be back on dialysis when the kidney goes until my next transplant. I am on lifetime medications that harm my body at the same time that they help. I have a much lower immune system. I can't have children. I could and have it be very high risk but I won't and chilcren are something that I long for. I see my doctors every 3 months right now. I take meds 3 times a day. Every time I get sick I worry that I am rejecting. I pray every day that I get another day and when they go will be thankful for every day that I had that I wasn't with diabetes or kidney disease as right now I have not had insulin or any form of diabetic medication since my transplant in 2004.

For those putting it off and pretending it's not there YOU ARE DAMAGING YOUR BODY ALREADY. You are pushing faster and faster for type 1 when it doesn't have to be like that. Stop it now!! Do Something!! Choose the lifestyle you want which is eating healthy and exercising or you can go the way I went. I've been there and done that and don't recommend it. I have had the diabetic nephropathy (my eyes), some nerve damage (all over), kidney disease and failure, and bad veins and circulation. That's all on hold right now as long as my organs hold out.

So, taking some pills and or some daily injections and finger sticking or the above. You all choose. It starts as pretty scary, well let it go and it will eventually be a nightmare. Those who think they might be go to your doctor. Those who are, do what you were told. Most of you have horses. Exercise with them. Take walks, ride a bike, ground drive one of your minis, jog with them, when you go shopping park at a distance and walk to the door of the store. Cut off some of your indulgences. Start by weaning off then do away with it. For those who need help carb counting see a nutrionist/dieatician and if that one doesn't help find another. Everybody's carb counts will be different. It is about carbs not just about sugar. Sugars are carbs. Most white food are high in carbs-white bread, potatoes, rice, milk is pretty bad, cereals are pretty bad too, pasta. Not that you can't eat but you seriously have to watch. Corn is high and most fruits. Orange juice is used to raise blood sugars for lows as well as regular sodas. For things that say sugar free don't go by that. It might not technically have "sugar" in it but in the ingredients if it end in "ose" it's carbs.

You guys might say that I'm different cause I'm type 1. Yeah, I am or at least was, but let yours go and you'll be joining me. I at one point was doing shots 4 times a day. I would do that again in a heartbeat now with a smile. I've also been on the insulin pump and would be perfectly happy with that and will not be stupid again when it happens again and it will. IT DOESN'T HAVE TO FOR YOU.

For those who have read all of this and have questions then you can PM me or email me. IF you are angry at how rough I was about it I'm not going to apologize. If it helps one person to do what they need to do then I'd do these scare tactics all over again. I won't sugar coat it-Diabetes sucks. Losing your eyesight and kidneys Sucks alot more!! My niece was diagnosed when she was 5. She's now ten. I'm on her family constantly to make sure they are keeping up with it and when she's mobile and more independent I'll be on her. Plus she has a perfect example of what can happen-Me!!

Do Something!

Amanda

OH geez Amanda I see you are back but oh my word...........I'm reeling here from your story. I read it twice already and can't even imagine. Oh my gosh all you've been though it just too much to comprehend.

I cannot see myself not having my daily ham sandwich and passing up my big macs and my Friday night pizzas and daily pepsis and replacing them with stuff like artichokes and leaves and bunny foods for gods sakes and nuts and tuna for the life of me!

Thank you Amanda for your story and letting folks know what can happen when this is not taken care of right. There is no cheating and Marty, this is your health here!!

One of my sisters was diagnosed with Insulin Resistance- the stage just before Type II hits. She is overweight. Her eating habits are horrible. She does not excercise like she should. She bought some books when she was diagnosed with this, one being the Insulin Resistance Diet by Dr. Hart. She sent me a copy of it and it is SO easy to read. It is not really a diet, but more just how to eat correctly. It's very easy to follow and after you reform your eating habits (which can be really difficult) you won't have to think about it much each day. It becomes a new habit.

Since I had some past health issues in recent years, I gained a lot of weight and my cholesterol was horrible, I developed sleep apnea (that alone can kill you also), this also caused acid reflux and some other things....

I started a year ago when I quit drinking sodas. Now I feel sick if I have one. I lost about 10 to 12 pounds just from that, and switching to Diet soda does NOT make a difference on losing weight!! I drink water, water and more water. When I get tired of water, I drink more water with a Crystal Light flavor in it.

I have lost close to 50 pounds, and am thrilled to report that my cholesterol is NORMAL now and I have not had to sleep with the CPAP for the apnea in about four months now!! With the sleep apnea going, so has my acid reflux. (It quit when I had to treat the apnea with the machine- within a week I was off the reflux meds) I only have about 10 or 12 more pounds to go. It was hard to change eating habits and all, but I did NOT want to continue with getting more and more health issues.

My sister is not doing so good with her diet and all and she is going to wait til it's too late. She stuck to it for a while and lost a few pounds, but it is 'easier' to just continue with her old habits.....

Marty, please dont play around with this. A co-worker passed away before age 50 from diabetes- she would not follow what she was supposed to and was in denial, though she'd had it for years. I know a couple of others who have lost legs because of the problems caused by the diabetes. One is losing her eyesight.

This is serious business that can really cause other problems and can be deadly! Please take care of yourselves!!

What would really be crap, Marty, is if you and your family had to go through a major medical nightmare or your family lost you and it was preventable. If you think your and your family's life is screwed up now, just think of how this could effect you all if you do not do something.

Marty, so basically you choose the road I took. You say you can't imagine well it's going to become reality if you don't change some things. I never said it had to be rabbit food and artichokes. I've not had an artichoke in my life. I have had big macs and have been allowed to. There's nothing wrong with a ham sandwhcich. It's all in the planning, portion size, and what carbs you choose to eat and when. Cut back on the Pepsis-start with that. I was a horrible diet soda drinker in the past and have maybe one a week now. I had one yesterday and didn't care for it a bit.

I grew up with sugar being the bad thing until my mid to late teens but still even when I was younger there were times I was allowed "sweets". They were much smaller portions but was allowed. IF you have your ham sandwich daily then cut down on the other carbs you might have with it. Use wheat bread instead of white as it normally has less carbs or I think there's even lower carb breads now unless that never got off the ground too well. Have one piece of bread instead of two. Eat the middle of the big mac and not the bun. Eat a small sized fries instead of a large, a small Pepsi instead of a large.

For those with family members imagine that family member sitting in a dentists office with you and you starte having a reaction (when I was a child and didn't realize when they were coming on) I started literally stuffing the blankie I carried in my mouth. Not just a little bit-alot. My mom notices and tries to get me to stop. I end up on the floor. The dentist uses a tongue depressor to keep me from biting my tongue. Ambulance takes me to the hospital with my mom. Even though I was so out of it I remember parts of that ride. Fast forward several years-teen years, no longer have major problems with lows but sky highs-my fault. My dad carries me out of the house as I can't walk myself and puts me in the backseat. He stops quickly on the way to the hospital and a doctor friend jumps in the back with me in case something happens on the way and we don't make it in time. Do any of you want to put your family through that??? I did and I am so sorry that I did. My parents called 911 the night my kidney's failed and lungs started filling with fluid. Iwas at their house as the hurricanes had just come through and our apartment was not complete yet that was attached to their house. They got my husband up who was in the apartment and they followed the ambulance to the hospital. They waited in a freezing waiting room for my transplant to be completed that should have lasted 6 hours but was 12.5. My sister had her baby while I was having my transplant and she was 4 hours away. My parents missed that. My mom stayed with me for that month after when my husband was given breaks. She was there the day I had a major reaction to one of my medications and I had muscle spasms for 4 hours. I couldn't control my legs, arms, or head and it was bad. She watched it for that 4 hours to make sure I wasn't going to rip by IV out that was in my neck as my arms were that bad. I was knocked out from the Benedryl after the first hour. That hour was agonizing for me and I wanted to scream and cry. My mother sat through it for 4 hours!!! My stomach decided not to work after my surgery because it had been asleep too long. I threw up every single night whether I ate or not that's what that medication was for that caused my reaction. My husband and mother sat through that. For that month I was in the hospital, one of them stayed with me every night on a couch and when I felt better during the day they'd go to a hotel and get some sleep. Before I decided to have the transplant done from someone who had passed away, I had many family members steppping up to give me one of their kidneys if possible. It was better to get the kidney and pancreas from the same person so that's why I waited, but if I hadn't and one of them had been a match I had a good twenty people in the family that immediately volunteered. You know what i thought about that? What if they give me one of theirs and at some point the only one they have left goes and I put them in the positon that I am in? They were willing to step up and do it anyway because of my stupidity and yes they all knew by then what I had done in the past. They would have done surgery for me and had to go through that because of a few utterly stupid decisions I made. It won't happen to me!! Yeah, right!! My mom still makes sure that she hears from me everyday or sees me. If not she thinks something happened. That fear is lessened somewhat as my husband is with me so if something happened then he'd tell them. If I lived alone and wasn't next door she'd call me multiple times a day or come over. She hadn't seen me or heard from me all day this past Wednesday. She couldn't take it any longer and was at my door and coming in Thursday morning.

Diabetes just doesn't affect you (Marty or anyone else who is putting this off). It's a major family thing. Everyone is involved. You don't have to put your family through that with some lifestyle changes.

For those who think I am still sick on a daily basis and completely ruined my life, it isn't. I am very happy and healthy right now. Could I be healthier had I made better choices?? Yes!! If I could go back and do it agian and eat right and do insulin shots for the rest of my life would I??? Yes!!

All of you don't want to do it for yourself? Fine!! Then do it for your families.

Hey Mininik---- :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

What she says goes for all of you not just Marty.

Amanda

Marty --

If you can't do some modifications, you maybe won't be here in 10 years to decide to make them then. Period.

For sandwiches, can you try using low carb bread (some of it's actually good) or low carb tortilla wraps instead of bread? Maybe make your own pizza using low carb tortilla's, or at least, only once in awhile and make it thin crust and leave the edge of the crust. Pepsi Zero tastes great and no sugar carbs. Big macs... I'd rather have a good homemade hamburger with just a small bun, whole wheat bun, etc. Tastes much better.

As to the E, I hate it too. I walk back and forth in my house watching tv. You could do that. 30 minutes, you spend more time than that probably on the computer (I sure do). This gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous weather and all your horses -- start ground driving one. Or take one of them or Amy for a walk every day. There are a lot of fun things that are E in disquise.

Plus, if you just TRY for a couple weeks -- take what meds the Doctor tells you to, do what diet the doctor tells you to, and be active for half an hour a day... You will FEEL so much better. More energy than I bet you have had in a decade, a better mood than you've had in forever, etc. I speak from experience here.

If you are diabetic, it honestly will kill you and I told you this privately, too, but who knows who else may be reading and listening to this thread. The high sugar levels ruin your eyes, your kidneys, your heart, your nervous system. Think of how Jerry and Dan would feel if they didn't have you!!! What about Amy? What about your horses? You've got a lot -- a lot more than a lot of people -- to live for. If it's not worth it to you then there is not a thing any internet post, any friend or any doctor can do to make you take care of yourself.

Jill

USEZZZZ Guys is a bunch of mother hens.

Ok you sugar police people, no more lectures. I will go henceforth to see Doc

and see what she says and that's all I'm comitting to at this point and totally no artichokes.

Has nothing to do with police Marty. It has to do with people I care about and can help
default_wub.png
: .

Please keep me updated. I have your phone number and can find where you live
default_smile.png
. I'm not working right now. I can take a roadtrip and drag you to the Dr's myself. I can still drive sight only in one eye and all. It might be quite scary for you on your mountain roads but I'll do it
default_yes.gif
: . Karla only has to dare me and I'll be :xreiter: :xbud: up there.

Amanda

USEZZZZ Guys is a bunch of mother hens.

Ok you sugar police people, no more lectures. I will go henceforth to see Doc

and see what she says and that's all I'm comitting to at this point and totally no artichokes.
Good for you, Mizz Marty!!! And, I don't blame you on the artichokes
vomit.gif

You're going to start feeling so much better
default_yes.gif
:

:new_shocked: OMG! THANK YOU Amanda and everyone for laying it on the line, and telling it how it is! I think that may be enough to scare me into doing more! I really need to find some good information on the appropriate diet. Of course, all the things mentioned just have to be the things I like. Like white bread...NEVER have I nor will I eat brown bread, or drink soy milk. Jeez, a person might just be better off to just stop eating things rather than having to settle for something that tastes bad. Why is it that all the GOOD food has to be the food that is bad for you?!

THANKS again everyone!

:bgrin OK, ok........I mentioned the artichokes! SORRY :new_shocked:
default_wacko.png
:

(they are actually quite good if prepared correctly!)

But look at all the other foods listed by myself and others. Really, it is about learning what foods are better for you and then severely limiting those which are not. It is about choices. Once you do this you will be so very amazed at how much better you feel and look.....that you will wonder why you did not do this a long, long time ago! A good amount of any excess weight you may have collected will begin to melt off and it will just be a thing that happens when you "healthy up" your eating and body movement. (see I eliminated the words "D" and "E"
default_wink.png
: ).

Amanda and Jill have listed many choices than can be made which modifies what you want to eat and at the same time saves the taste and thoughts of what you crave. You would be shocked at how quickly you can alter cravings with just eating a tiny bit of a few things.....nuts, for instance! Just don't open the bag and keep eating -- measure some out and consume -- shortly after you will find you really are satisfied. Keep your mind busy with things other than food!! Empty the cabinets & fridge of large sized options of not good for you foods. An individual serving size of most things is available now. Control.

Amanda, you had been to the extreme!! I applaud you for telling all. Also hope that you could make yourself available to some hospital groups where these young people find out they have diabetes -- WOW, what you could help them realize!!!!!! Jill, you have unknowingly suffered. Thankfully you found the problem and have embraced the life style changes you need to move forward. I have a grandaughter who is overweight and I am constantly concerned that she will develop diabetes! Another step-grandaughter has it and it was caught when she was about 10. She had a hard time with peer associations -- eating things, etc. My step-father had diabetes, no issues with him conforming to what was necessary but, even with that being controlled, the circulation problems associated with the disease took hold. He lost his eye sight first, then slowly the legs and feet became issues. After the nitro patches could not be of further help, he had to have amputation.

DIABETES IS SERIOUS!!

I have always been a person who selects/prepares/eats healthy. This has been refined. I still have a piece of cake when I want!! But, overall, very, very little frying, minimal bread(s), rice, pasta, white potatoes, lots of steamed/stir fry/raw veggies, lean meats, soy proteins, nuts, rarely have soft drinks. Never smoked, so thats a PLUS for my health -- always active. I am 62 and could outdo both of my children on a stress test! Plus, I haven't needed a doctor in over 12 years, and that was for an Xray to be sure I had only sprained, not broken, my ankle. Good health is a sure by-product of healthy eating. No, I'm not a health food addict but, I did consider what healthy eating gave me many, many years ago.

I hope everyone will heed the need to improve their choices in life -- disease or not!

Marty, come on lady, this is not something that makes you "give up" everything -- just some changes at first and then you will really want to continue. Michael would WANT you to take care of yourself!!! Work on it. (Hey, the doctor is gonna tell you much of what we have -- maybe you will listen then.)

"OMG! THANK YOU Amanda and everyone for laying it on the line, and telling it how it is! I think that may be enough to scare me into doing more!"-Mona

Mona, may be enough??? :nono:

Here's some more tough love
default_wub.png
:

How about this? I had a reaction when I was younger. We were at a lake in Ohio. Everyone swimming and having a good time and then....my brother made me come out of the water. I wouldn't respond to him and was holding my arm like I had hurt myself. My mom did my blood sugar. It was way off. I went to the hospital. There was nothing wrong with my arm. I saw what I thougt was someone in the water floating, as in drowning, and grabbed their arm to help them-IT WAS MY OWN ARM!! I wouldn't let it go as if I did then that person would drown and I couldn't let that happen.

I have bit my aunt as one time having a reaction I got violent.

Still not sure??? Take some time and try to get around your house/property without being able to see. Pretend you lost an arm or a leg and try to function at daily tasks. Pretend you have your arms and legs but your feet and hands hurt on a daily basis because of nerve damage. If it goes far enough pretend for a day you are in dialysis. I was lucky as I have never had heart problems that too can happen

I almost missed my wedding as I had a high blood sugar the morning of. This was way after I was trying to do right but had already done too much wrong. I slept for four hours that morning and made it. I was fine for the wedding and reception. I was sick the night of and then next day. We never had a honeymoon.

Is that enough? I can do more. I want to hear that you are going to do more not that it may be enough to get you to do more. Start little-one change at a time. I can eat basically anything I want to right now. I could be huge. I could have gone crazy afterwards. I have the option of eating what any person does. I still don't. I am 5'11" and 135 lbs. I pretty much eat what I did when I was a diabetic only, not what my diet was when I was in kidney failure as I don't have too and that's way worse than just the diabetic diet. Everyting in moderation is what it takes.

I walk everywhere. I use a bucket to clean my stalls. It takes more than one trip to take the bucket out to dump it. I could use a wheelbarrow. There is one I just don't. I take my horses for walks. I ground drive. I jump my horses who are old enough. I play with my nephew alot. I take natural horsemanship lessons and I'm not allowed to ride anymore but I volunteer at horse clinics. I participate in the ones I can when it deals with groundwork. There's a beaach ride in October. I'll be walking my horse.

Bess Kelly, I might be talking with younger people through the facility I got my transplant. The coordinators worry abuot the younger people as they asked me how I was when I was younger and I told them honestly what I had done. They worry about their diabetes and then not taking care of their trransplant once they get one-not taking meds as directed. You don't do that you might as well not have a transplant.

Marty, you say you drink lots of Pepsis. Yet another sign of high blood sugar-constant thirst. Considering you drink Pepsi if it is high then drinking the Pepsi will make it higher which in turn will make you want more. If your doctor won't do anything then get another doctor. Get a blood glucose meter and check your sugars yourself.

For those parents who have children with diabetes and they hit their teen years and want their privacy. Well, tell them sorry. Ask to see what their glucose meter reads at periodic times when they do their blood sugar testing. Get copies of their Bloodwork results from their doctor. They might hate you at that point but will be so much more grateful later on. No, I dono't blame my parents I am just telling you this to help. My parents didn't thnk to do this. I lied and they believed me. I was a good kid and very mature in some respects. I didn't lie with anything else. I didn't party. I didn't sneak out. I didn't drink. I didn't smoke or do drugs. I got awesome grades so who would think that I'd lie abuot my blood sugars? Well, the jokes on me. I hurt them as much as I hurt myself and they never knew it then. I did but typical kid-It won't happen to me I'm fine. Where's that time machine when you need it????

I've learned big time. 10-20 years down the road when it starts all over again I'm not making the same mistakes twice.

Improve your lifestyle and you can't imagine the new found energy that you will have. I'm 32 now and for the first time in my life have never felt better. It's been ten months since I've been admitted into the hospital for some thing or another. The last time was in November of last year. My kidney went free floating and caused a large pocket of fluid that caused pain and pushed my appendix up to the point where they thought I had a cyst on my ovary. It wasn't. They went in drained the pocket of fluid, took out my appendix, and put my kidney back where it belongs. I lost my chance at the end of the year highpoint as I was not able to participate in my November show unless I wanted a hernia. No thanks, I've got enough health issues don't need to add more. Well, this year will be different. Ten months without an admission is a huge record!!! Huge!! Any other time the max was 6 months. As long as I can get my driving gelding consistently Ok with driving again man watch out-for once I'm going to get that highpoint!

Lots of great information here on this thread; I do appreciate it so I did take heed. I went to the Doc's today and got the AIC test thingy and have to wait till Tuesday for results. Meanwhile they also tested me, prick test and I can assure you that is the proper name for it
default_whistling.gif
: and found myself quite willing to become a participant of the potty mouth group.
default_unsure.png
:

I can't see sticking myself as much as I hate needles though.

Latest posts

Back