AMHR Nationals Youth Eligibility Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yaddax3

Reaction score
It is my understanding that for a Youth to show at AMHR Nationals, the youth must show a horse in an AMHR-sanctioned event in any youth class under at least two judges.

It also is my understanding that the rule has changed since last season, when all a youth had to do was show a horse in any class.

Am I right? Am I wrong?

No well yes you are right.. a youth has to show the horse at one R show in ANY YOUTH class but must be a YOUTH class under 2 judges.. so that part is right but it was like that last year as well

Yadda, I think your right.

Last edited by a moderator:
We heard this weekend that a horse also has to qualify to show in their open class (4 judges - 2 shows) in order to be elgible to show youth. Not sure if anyone else has heard this.

yep that is true to the horse has to qualify as always.. if not being shown by a youth to begin with then the youth has to qualify to show that horse by showing it in a youth class although a youth

Yes, the horse also has to qualify in the regular way-- a minimum of 2 shows & 4 judges -- as well as the youth has to qulaify it in a youth class as well. THis has been in effect for a couple of years now.

Just a comment on this...I know it is states in the rule book, which I just read again, but I don't think everyone understands the whole qualification thing when it comes to youth showing at nationals because I think there are still many cases of youth showing a horse only in an open class - like color class - and then thinking they are qualified to show that horse at nationals.

I don't know how they keep track of it all and make sure every youth/horse combo that shows at nationals is properly qualified but I sure hope they do track it because we have been so careful to follow the rules. We are taking 12 horses to nationals and we had five kids showing this year and they all show in both youth and open classes and not every horse went to every show so keeping track of who had shown what with what horse and making sure it was a youth class was a real chore. We had a club show last week that did not end until 3:00AM :no: and our five year old son needed to qualify with one of our horses and he had wanted to do youth obstacle with him and can you believe that the youth obstacle class began at 1:45AM? :eek: He was sleeping in a chair, we woke him up at 1:40AM and he was sobbing and tired and at that point didn't want to do it anymore but if we'd scratched him from the class he couldn't show that horse at nationals and that was the last show we were going to. It was horrible. The five year old doesn't even remember it though.

Wow Sanny that must have been a huge show and to add to that i am not sure if this is fact or not but I have heard that if a child gets DQ'd from say youth hunter or obstacle for going off course then it still does not count to qualify the CHILD not the horse for youth nationals

Latest posts

Back