A driving question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minihorsefrnd

Reaction score
Hello,

My question is: I have noticed that my driving gelding tends to look off to side like he is looking at something, and he very well may be. But for me to strighten him up its almost like I am asking him to turn in the opposite direction. Not that he turns, because the pressure on the rein is ever so slight, it is like he know that I am asking him to strighten up and he does, but he generally goes back to looking off to one side. My question is have I harnessed wrong, is it something that I am doing to make him do that. He has a over check harness, with a low port myler. (Sorry No Pics).

Does anyone else have this problem?

I am not an expert but he sounds like there is something "off" with him. Hopefully someone has some experience with this.

I just re read your post. You might try a snaffle bit and a side check.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every horse is stronger to one side than another just as their drivers are. It's quite possible that he's off somehow and I commend you for looking at every possibility but a large part of training horses is teaching them to go straight. They all have to learn because believe it or not it's not something they do naturally!
default_wink.png
Some will show it by not bending very well to one side, others by actively carrying their head one way or another. It sounds like you are doing exactly the right thing by picking up gently on the opposite rein and asking him to move his withers back into line. Keep it up!

Also, examine at the situations he's doing it in. Is he always looking to the outside of the arena? Always towards the same thing on the trail or towards the direction of home? One test is to turn him around and go past the same area again and see if he still looks the direction he did before, looks the other way now, or finally travels straight. If he still keeps his head bent to the problem direction even though he's now going the other way you may have a physical problem. Try loosening the reins completely so he's driving with no contact or give him to another driver for a few minutes and see if he still carries himself crookedly. If so, again- you probably have some sort of discomfort going on.

I know every single horse I drive suddenly develops the habit of counterbending to the left when going down a straight wall. Funny thing- it's me, not the horses! :DOH!
default_biggrin.png
It feels like I'm holding even pressure on the reins but there's an imbalance in my own muscular strength between left and right so what feels the same to each arm is actually not the same amount of pull. It's taken me YEARS to be able to actually feel that and begin to correct it.

Leia

Have you had his teeth checked? This is a very common problem with driving horses that have not had their teeth taken care of by an equine dentist. He may be in need for them to be floated or may even have hooks. When you put the bit in his mouth this aggravates the problem and to get relief he turns his to his side. I advise always have the teeth checked before starting a driving horse. Just a suggestion you may want to look into. Joyce

Thanks everybody...He is a older gelding so we do have to keep UTD on dental work. My boy is a experienced driver--more so then I am... That is why I wondered if maybe I was doing something wrong.

Leia--I will try your suggestions in the next couple of days. The road we drive on has lots of stuff to look at so I will let you know.

And hey maybe I am just unbalanced too!! haha

I have one that does it. I've done everything to try and correct it, but nothings worked. He was a stallion then, so I'm hoping the fact that I gelded him will calm him down a bit and get down to work. And he was up to date on teeth. Even got a bit seat done on him too.

Maybe its just natural for them to do that. I've tried pulling the opposite rein, but that doesn't accomplish much except for a split second. I was hoping someone had suggestions.
default_smile.png

Make sure your harness is absolutely equal. Same number of holes on each side in each buckle at the same point.

Then make sure you are holding the reins equally - not pulling a little harder, or having a heavier hand on one side.

If that is OK, and teeth are OK, try using half checks to bring his head back straight. A quick, light pull and release on the rein using your little finger. Not a lot of pressure, just tug and release.

that's a very common problem and quite frankly most cases tend to be driver related or just a stiff crooked horse. The drive is holding the reins or using more pressure. It's a good idea to check all the other things but it's probably a stiff horse and a driver issue.

A lot of circles in both directions will help straighten the horse and make him supple.

Maybe its just natural for them to do that. I've tried pulling the opposite rein, but that doesn't accomplish much except for a split second. I was hoping someone had suggestions.
default_smile.png
With one who's really determined like that Keri you've got to be a very alert, very focused driver and constantly guide the horse into correct form every single minute. You can't just correct them as they counterbend but must be always with them, always asking them to stretch down and bend the way you want them to so they never have a chance to get distracted in the first place. It's hard and you've got to be very patient and willing to be pleased with small signs of progress. Use short intense work sessions and have a clear difference between Work and Play times. When they're working they must always be bending and flexing and doing as you ask, then they are taken out of the arena and perhaps even have their equipment changed (take off the check if you use one, switch to an open bridle if you normally drive checkless, something like that) and drive him or her on a loose rein so he's allowed to look around and have fun too. Be sure you occasionally ask them to stretch down or flex from side to side on the trail too, it teaches them to do it when it isn't stressful.

Always set your horse up for success. If you know he's going to be inclined to do something, ask him for something else he can't do at the same time so you can reward him! He can't be looking towards the outside of the arena if he's already lowering his head and bending to the inside. They'll get frustrated so make it easy and fun for them and stop immediately when they do it right.

You can also do "carrot stretches" in the barn to help identify and reduce any stiffness in your driving horse. Stand by his hip and ask him to bring his head around and follow the carrot as far back as he can. Let him nibble it a little in that position then give him a chunk and repeat on the other side. Sometimes this is very useful for discovering back problems in a horse.

Leia

"HobbyHorse23" and "Fred" already gave you good advice on the driving side of things the only other thing besides teeth or a behavioral problem that came to mind for me was that he is out of alignment and needs to see a chiropractor because he is stiff or hurting somewhere. I took a short "equine adjustment" certification course which was a terrific learning experience. I go through a series of stretching exercises with each of our driving horses before harnessing them and always make sure to stretch their necks really well again once they are hitched up. I will gently get them to flex and bend their head to each side until their nose is touching the shaft and hold that position for 30 seconds or so and if they are stiff and tight they will resist or shake their head but as the muscles stretch they will relax with it. I usually also rub and massage the side of the neck opposite of the side they are bending toward. My horses like this stretch enough that they will sometimes do it themselves, especially after we are all warmed up and waiting to go in a class and just standing around with a loose rein.

I did learn all the basic stretching and basic chiropractic adjustments that I can safely do for our horses but we have all of our horses checked at least twice a year by a dentist and a chiropractor. I have some horses that are always fine and don't need to be adjusted and I have some horses that have certain problem spots on their body that need attention.

If the horse is just doing this just to avoid working or just needs polish or more training (or re-training) at home you need to just be consistant and have work periods during your drive time where you stay really focused and tuned in and get him to stretch and give and collect. One exercise that I do when I am driving is setting up orange cones in random patterns and bending and weaving through and around the cones.

At a show in a class if a horse is doing this to me I try to get him out of it by very lightly collecting and releasing him just enough to get him back in position and distracted and not avoiding the bit by turning his head or body. Basically working the reins/bit by little tiny squeezes and finger wiggles and changing hand position slightly. Very light and subtle but they feel everything coming through the reins. This works much better than just trying to pull or hold their head in the correct position. The natural instinct if they are constant pressure or pulling is to resist or pull back.

Hillary is right, as long as nothing physical is wrong, then circle, circle, circle! Left ones, right ones, figure eights, in the corners, along the sides, and up the middle.

These loosen the stiff horse, teach bending, and, amazingly, straightness! Always keep the pressure even on both reins, use SOFT hands, and ask for consistancy with them, ROUND circles, not ovals or Eggs ( Happy Easter!)

Take up the entire end of a ring or take up half of the ring, make it interesting and fun.

After a grouping of varied circles, try going along a rail for a bit and see if he isn't much better, but then ask again. Did I say use SOFT HANDS?

If you still see a marked turning to one side, you also may not have warmed up enough. Try the bitting rig in the round pen or stall, just allowing them to walk around in it. Remember to always do something to the right as well as the left to keep both sides of the muscles evenly worked.

dru

Good News to report!! I adjusted his harness and drove him three diffrent times and all is well... He was straight in the harness. It looks like when my husband helps me harness him...he is not as aware of the importance that every thing needs to be equal...so I harnessed him alone and double checked everything and that WAS the problem.

So Thank You for all your support and replys...

Latest posts

Back