New(ish!) Member!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuliaM

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’m looking forward to learning more about miniature horse ownership, care, do/don'ts, driving etc

I have been ‘owned’ by my 9 years young miniature horse Citi for just over a year & we live in Cambridge, Ontario, Canada.

I have so many questions etc but Citi & I are in no rush to get anywhere fast & think the saying ‘slow & steady wins the race’ is quite apt for us! I have no problem with Citi preferring to be a pasture ornament but I’m sure it must be quite boring for him as he’s turned out alone (but has many welsh ponies in surrounding paddocks).

Enjoy the Fall everyone 🐴🍁🇨🇦

Hello fellow Canuk!
How's the weather over there? It's pretty close to winter in Alberta already. Citi is DARLING (I'm guessing that's him in your profile picture). My mini horse is exactly the opposite, she's on a mission and got places to go! My donkey and Citi probably would get along a lot better, no rush to get anywhere...

Would you be interested in driving, or tiny horse agility, tricks, or just give him some boredom breakers in his paddock?

Hello fellow Canuk!
How's the weather over there? It's pretty close to winter in Alberta already. Citi is DARLING (I'm guessing that's him in your profile picture). My mini horse is exactly the opposite, she's on a mission and got places to go! My donkey and Citi probably would get along a lot better, no rush to get anywhere...

Would you be interested in driving, or tiny horse agility, tricks, or just give him some boredom breakers in his paddock?
Hi … I am in process of getting Citi’s harness & cart adjusted & eventually see how he does pulling the cart (& me!). We’re very lucky that he’s boarded at a very experience barn where owners drive their Welsh ponies (single, double & quad!). I have never driven a cart before so I’m getting experience driving a school master with owners help. Once Citi’s harness is adjusted then we will start ground driving him, then on to pulling a tire etc before hitching him up to cart.

If for any reason either Citi or I (or both of us!) don’t enjoy driving then I’m ok with that too & yes I’d also like to incorporate mini tricks & agility etc & would appreciate anyone suggestions for this. I have a hay ball & also a tug ball that I can put in his paddock - we had them for my daughters horse but he showed absolutely no interest - hopefully Citi does.

Citi is getting quite the winter coat & extra ‘chunky’ - I would appreciate any ideas of in hand exercises to do with Citi to keep him active & healthy. Our next project is to get Citi to lunge without panicking & galloping around as he’s not understanding the concept … bless him!

I appreciate your suggestions & any advice is gratefully received as I’m very new to mini horse ownership & care!

Great game plan @JuliaM! I personally am a huge fan of a tire (with a rim) for green beans to start pulling. Gets a lot of the sillies out in a very safe manner. How fortunate that you get to experience broke driving ponies before starting out yourself! I am on a mission to get more instruction next year.
Loads of our members do liberty and tricks with their littles. I've taught my horses to do all sorts of tricks, but I haven't done anything like that with my littles. I think they're too smart and will use it against me!

Welcome JuliaM and Citi! He is a handsome fellow and I love his banged tail!

The barn you are in sounds perfect and I’m totally envious! 😂

Hope you are also enjoying your Fall weather! After a long stretch of beautiful leaves and color, the trees are mostly bare and looking more wintery though the current temps are mild. Hoping this winter brings less snow!

Lol I have to ‘bang’ Citi’s tail as it gets so thick & heavy that he doesnt lift it up when he poops & also it grows so fast that it drags on the ground & picks up everything in his paddock & around barn like a sweeping brush lol! I’m spring I roach his mane too as that too is thick & heavy.

Yes it was lovely to see the fall colours but most are down on the ground so dealing with the leaves before the dreaded which stuff hits (hopefully nothing too significant!)

Myself & barn owner erected a coverall shelter yesterday for him over winter. Trying this first before perhaps purchasing a used shed next year but will see how this fairs over winter & winds etc.

I’m undecided what to put on bare ground in his little 6x6 shelter either shavings or chopped straw - any advice/suggestions are gratefully received. The home owner suggested using dried fall leaves as a base but I’m worried about mould.

If your shelter has a roof and three sides he should be fine!

Since he lives alone, and assuming your winters are cold ( 😂 ), I would use straw and be generous in the bedding. Our barn is four sided with sliding doors, but our floors freeze - rubber mats freeze and so does the sawdust. (So do I, but that is a separate thread😁)

Straw has stayed unfrozen and is easy to pick through, clean, and replace.

I totally agree with you about the leaves. They make great mulch but not so much for bedding a live animal.

Lol I have to ‘bang’ Citi’s tail as it gets so thick & heavy that he doesnt lift it up when he poops & also it grows so fast that it drags on the ground & picks up everything in his paddock & around barn like a sweeping brush lol! I’m spring I roach his mane too as that too is thick & heavy.

Yes it was lovely to see the fall colours but most are down on the ground so dealing with the leaves before the dreaded which stuff hits (hopefully nothing too significant!)

Myself & barn owner erected a coverall shelter yesterday for him over winter. Trying this first before perhaps purchasing a used shed next year but will see how this fairs over winter & winds etc.

I’m undecided what to put on bare ground in his little 6x6 shelter either shavings or chopped straw - any advice/suggestions are gratefully received. The home owner suggested using dried fall leaves as a base but I’m worried about mould.
If your shelter has a roof and three sides he should be fine!

Since he lives alone, and assuming your winters are cold ( 😂 ), I would use straw and be generous in the bedding. Our barn is four sided with sliding doors, but our floors freeze - rubber mats freeze and so does the sawdust. (So do I, but that is a separate thread😁)

Straw has stayed unfrozen and is easy to pick through, clean, and replace.

I totally agree with you about the leaves. They make great mulch but not so much for bedding a live animal.

Thanks so much for the response - I will remove the leaves from inside the shelter & put in a couple of bags of straw (need to get bagged straw as I have to transport them in my small car!

I help a cat rescue that provides outdoor shelters for colony cats & they’re all filled with straw that holds heat etc … so makes sense that’s best option for Citi’s shelter floor!

Thanks again 🙏🐴

Attachments

• IMG_5488.jpeg
    IMG_5488.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
You’re welcome and your shelter looks good! Maybe moving the leaves to the outside perimeter of the shelter may provide a bit of outside banking? Not sure that sentence makes sense? It looks like you already have done that?

In our area, it is possible to buy enormous bales of straw, somewhere around 400# and have delivered. Last year, I used up most of one bale right away filling up a smaller area in the barn. I then covered rhe remainder and used it to fill in the spots as needed.

Is this an option in your agricultural area? Maybe your local feed and seed would have an idea?

Heading to barn shortly with two large bags of chopped horse straw. Yes, I’m going to remove dry leaves from inside shelter as you suggest & pack them around the outside - thanks for suggesting this Mary 🙏

I am also picking up 4 6’ 4”x4” posts to lay across the frame to hold it down in high winds & also create a low barrier to help stop things blowing in/out.

All I need to find now is something to cover the webbed ‘belts’ & cranks so he doesn’t get his feet caught in them if he lays down or rolls - was thinking maybe pool noodles, plumbing pipe covers or the rolled plastic that Hyde companies sometimes put on wires holding up poles …. Not sure if this makes any sense lol!? 😳

Hopefully my little s*%t will use the shelter after all this!

If our horses knew how much we work and sweat to provide for them, do you think they would be impressed? 😂 Citi will love it! It looks like he has free choice in and out which is great.

Yes, it makes sense what you are saying to cover things. Are the spaces between webbing big enough for him to get a hoof out without wrapping?

Welcome from California! Mother nature can't figure out fall over here but today is nice and brisk, the leaves are finally starting to change color. I look forward to hearing of your adventures with Citi - I highly recommend agility and obstacle courses for both exercise and enrichment for their body and mind. I'm doing the same with my minis, one to build confidence and the other to build strength and balance.

So far I have a wooden platform and a kid's gym mat which offers a unique squishy surface for them and greatly stimulates their balancing muscles. I've used some long branches for ground poles but I'll be adding real ground poles soon, much easier for both me and the horses. Here is a fun website page I found a while ago with ideas for different obstacles: DIY Obstacles!

I don't know about Citi, but my boys really love taking bites out of anything soft and testing the eat-ability so I would caution using materials like pool noodles. I'm not sure what you are needing to cover up but wood is always a good choice - I used some 2x4 boards to cover gaps in pipes that were waiting to capture a little hoof. If you think something bad could happen they will find a way to accomplish it!

If our horses knew how much we work and sweat to provide for them, do you think they would be impressed? 😂 Citi will love it! It looks like he has free choice in and out which is great.

Yes, it makes sense what you are saying to cover things. Are the spaces between webbing big enough for him to get a hoof out without wrapping?
I’m hoping there’s enough room for him not to get his hoof/leg caught in crank/webbing but I have managed to find a pool noodle (didn’t think I’d find one this time of year but a liquidation store near where I’m farm sitting had boxes & boxes or them!). Then I’ll electrical tape around the noodle.

Citi lives (& thinks he’s!) a King lol! I have no idea how he’ll take having to eventually pull me around in a cart … he’ll feel that it should be the other way round I’m sure! 🤣

Welcome from California! Mother nature can't figure out fall over here but today is nice and brisk, the leaves are finally starting to change color. I look forward to hearing of your adventures with Citi - I highly recommend agility and obstacle courses for both exercise and enrichment for their body and mind. I'm doing the same with my minis, one to build confidence and the other to build strength and balance.

So far I have a wooden platform and a kid's gym mat which offers a unique squishy surface for them and greatly stimulates their balancing muscles. I've used some long branches for ground poles but I'll be adding real ground poles soon, much easier for both me and the horses. Here is a fun website page I found a while ago with ideas for different obstacles: DIY Obstacles!

I don't know about Citi, but my boys really love taking bites out of anything soft and testing the eat-ability so I would caution using materials like pool noodles. I'm not sure what you are needing to cover up but wood is always a good choice - I used some 2x4 boards to cover gaps in pipes that were waiting to capture a little hoof. If you think something bad could happen they will find a way to accomplish it!
Thanks for link DB - I’ll check out DIY Obstacles 🙏

I was going to use the pool moonless to cover the crank mechanism & webbing that holds the tarp cover to the frame base -then use electrical tape over the pool noodle. Now I think a lot it I might cover tape with with anti-cribbing paste to deter him from trying to eat tape covered pool noodle! Thanks for your suggestion that he might choose to eat them!

You're very welcome! I've had to really lower my standards for what my boys will get into, but they are still babies so I'm hopeful they improve with age. The tape should definitely help keep him from taking a bite out.

Latest posts

Back