75 - 125 Kansas Minis "OMG Please help by WRITING!!"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just went back to catch up on the last few pages- I am so sorry to hear about the Moores and hope everything will be ok!!! Sending prayers in their direction!!

I am pretty worn out myself thinking about all the 'what-ifs', analyzing, assumptions, speculations and everything else that is going through my own head..... and worry for the little horses.

Why is the junk just being restacked in another spot on the lot? Is it going to be fenced off so the horses can't get to it? I dont understand why it's even being kept, when, if it was recycled, is more money to donate into horse care, or food for his own kitchen? Does he think it is going to be useful in the future.

Yep, gotta boyfriend like that too- drives me NUTS- hangs onto everything cause he or someone else might need it 'someday'.

Mr. T is not the only person who has gone without things for his horses- I could write a book, however, when the owner AND the horses start going without, something is terribly wrong.

I hope it is a good day there in KS, and that possibly more horses will be saved. It sounds like the Sheriff is going to have to just put his foot down, to at least make sure that the excess horses (which was 53 in the beginning) that are on that property are sold off or whatever.... And no, there is no way that I would ever want to take care of that many under ideal conditions, let alone anything else.

The vets keep saying that they are blaming a lot of this on worms- has anyone taken a look at the condition of any teeth on any of these, in regards to age AND tooth condition??

I dont know what to think any more and am just really saddened that SOME of those horses are going to be allowed to stay there.

:new_shocked:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
: :new_shocked:

First-my prayers go up for the Moores; prayers and thanks to all of the 'fosters', present and future--there will be stars in their crowns...

Second--my heartfelt appreciation and admiration to Ginny and to all the CMHR Board and members who have been so closely involved in this(and to those of other rescues--in fact, to ALL who have gone the extra mile to help these horses)--it is ONE TOUGH JOB to take on such issues, and to willingly put yourself on the front lines, and stay there, especially when it may seem that your actions and committment are being questioned by those who do not know the whole story. I very much understand everyone's concerns; it's just that sometimes intense concern can turn into unwarranted pressure-without anyone really meaning for it to....

Third-I am so grateful for the surrenders so far, and send my hope and prayers for the owner to become able to SEE what is the reality of the horses' conditions, and rise to the occasion by becoming able to put the best interests of the horses above all else. There is an old saying, I believe, about how none is so blind as he who WILL NOT see....

Finally--I am a realist; as such, I am 100% in support of Marty's stated position.

Margo Cox-Townsend

who loves horses as much as any human can; who has made that love, training, and enjoyment of them HER life's work--but who has already instructed family and friends to be ready to do what ever it takes to provide proper care for mine, if EVER I lose the ability to recognize reality.

(And if Mr. Trembly is reading this... Vern, I remember seeing your 6 horse hitch of miniature buckskins at Estes Park in the mid-'80s. They were all in good flesh and excellent health--you have every right to be proud of your herd and its history; but please try to accept that when the circumstances have so drastically changed, it is the good of the horses that MUST come first. Treasure your memories, but show your love for the horses by putting their health and well-being first--PLEASE.)

WOW that took a while to get through. I have been sick a couple of days and unable to get to a computer.

I did see several people had questions about coggins and health papers in KS. Last time I looked up the information there was no requirements to have health papers or coggins to move a horse or sell a horse within the state of Kansas. You can't take a horse over state lines without them and some events require them. (exp showing at the state fair)

I am working on getting the foster home application together but I am going to have to build a quaranteen area. If any horses need to be moved or if someone is wanting to buy one locally and needs it moved my rig would be available this weekend. My husband is not fond of the idea of me helping move a bunch of metal junk around but if I could help otherwise I would like to.

I have my membership application ready to send in but after reading some of the posts it is kinda scary to get involved. And this is a really noble cause.

I would like to fax my application forms if possible. Is there a fax#? Let me know if I can help at all or if you will need another close foster home ASAP. I can get something built quick that would work if need be. I wish I had the money to buy one. That poor horse with the bad eye must have touched many of our hearts because he is the one I always think of when I wish I could bring one home and start giving it love and attention. Those horses need so much. I hope to be worthy to help.

I AGREE 100% WITH EVERYTHIN SAID BY MARTY. I wish no ill for Mr.Trembly ,but really feel that horse rescue is ALL about saving the horses and getting them out of there and no more breeding by Mr.Trembly.(I have read so many posts I am not sure I have my spelling on names correct) I APPLAUD everythin the rescue people are doing and know in my heart that they TRULY have the best interests of the horses at heart and will do whatever they have to and can to make the situation better for these horses. Horse Rescue people are Angels here on earth.

Shannon, Please let the Moores know they are in our thoughts and prayers. AND, you--MIss Sweetcakes, TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF, we'll talk later. Corinne

Thank you Shelia, for posting this. This has been said a few times, and in a number of different ways, but the 2 parts of your post that strike home to me the most are for rescuers to present as warm and helping people, because thats what they are....right??? and.... for people that find themselves in difficulty to know that they can approach a rescue/friend.neighbour/insert your own aid method here WITHOUT JUDGEMENT.

We are people, and it is our nature to judge....but really...who are we to judge??? I personally do not think we have a right to judge anothers actions, period. No one is exempt from having a mess up at one point or another in their lives, but when it happens [and there is no IF here] it should be as simple as... 'OK..I messed up...I need help dealing with it/I am dealing with it' and be able to feel free in saying that.

granted, in this particular case, neither of the above seems to be applicable BUT....we are aware of what is happening and we are doing something about it.

Yes, this case is now known in some sectors world wide, and wouldn't it be great if, after its all said and done, what is being said about the rescue groups is " wow...if I ever get in a bind, or know someone that is in a bind, I know I can count on the rescue groups to help"

Just my thoughts.

I am not good at writing letters, but I see some you are excellent at it. I think it is important for these rescue groups to be seen as warm and helping people. I think that when some else finds themselves in a situation like Mr. Trimbley and doesn't know how to get out of it or is afraid to ask for for help because they are going to be judged and persecuted by the public, they need to know where they can get help without judgement.

I also think that these news organizations are going to want to do a follow up story on this and it will be a good opportunity to show how great the rescue groups really are. It should also show that they are approachable and not every situation come to this. When they can get someone to cooperate with them it can be a very rewarding experience for everyone involved. The animals can get the care they deserve and the person can be relieved of the burden they have taken on and now can't manage. As most of you have said, it does happen. Our little horses will outlive a lot of us so we will all be faced with these decisions someday.

Shelia

I think Mr. Trembly has proven he cares, he turned over 11 horses that needed the most help........he didn't even have to do that, but he did. He has also sold a few as well, This man is trying, and none of you know him, so as my mother always said if you have nothing to say or offer that is nice and helpful, keep your mouth closed! This man has had a picture painted that I think is way worse than the situation. YES, he has some horses that needed more help than he could give them, and I know he has tried. His horses where not without water, there is a pond on the property. I have spoke to neighbors that are helping him now, and they have not said 1 bad word about him. This is very hard on him emotionally. If he wants to sell the rest to get his numbers down, then good for him, he has to make some $$ to help pay for the feed for the rest of them. And as long as the vets and the sheriff have not found any reason to bring charges I think people should lay off for the time being to let him try and do what he needs to do. If you want to buy some horses, then let him know and check them out. He was trying to sell some when this all happened, don't forget that. He doesn't have the internet to help him sell, he doesn't even have a home phone. So step back and think about your comments BEFORE you make them. This man has never ran anyone away and even invited people in after knowing what was being said about him. Give him a chance to make things right. I think people get overwhelmed sometimes and don't realize they need help, now that he is realizing he needs to reduce his numbers, let him try. I guess if you still think he is so bad, then you need to quit yapping, and go to Uniontown and meet him and see for yourself....
default_sad.png
And see the horses for yourself. Thank you for your time.

Why is the junk just being restacked in another spot on the lot? Is it going to be fenced off so the horses can't get to it? I dont understand why it's even being kept, when, if it was recycled, is more money to donate into horse care, or food for his own kitchen? Does he think it is going to be useful in the future.
This is an emergency situation. Even though this debris junk to us, it is all Vern's stuff. (You know the saying, "One man's trash is another man's treasure.") Bourbon County hasn't gone through the courts to get an order to have the lot cleaned up, so he can't be forced to get rid of any of it. Moving it out of reach of the horses is the best that can be done until Vern agrees to part with it or Bourbon County takes legal action and removes it. Recycling is the hoped for long-range plan, but for now it's imperative that the lot is made safe for the horses. This farm is in the boondocks, not down the block from a recycling center. Getting metal recycling bins in there is going to take awhile. In the meantime the stuff is being moved to a location where the horses can't reach it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much LittleHorses.

And I am one that does know him.

Susan O.

I agree 100% with Marty.

I wish someone would come and clear up my (rented) place for me.

Mind you there are no thin horses, no junk cars and I have grass so I guess I have a long wait!!!!

Oh and I do not have 100 horses either.

The gelding with the cancerous growth- not cancer then, just neglect??

Oh, but WAIT we can't say that because the man is two years older than Marty's husband and a few more years years older than me. :eek:

I drive an old van, my cell phone is only two years old because I could not remember where I left the other one (which was ten years old) but it only cost $5.00 (it was on offer)

I shop in a "pile em high sell em cheap " where most of the goods have the instructions in Arabic, and I can't remember the last time I had a vacation.

I have this in common with a lot of Forum members.

(Except for the forgetting where I left my cell phone thing- that's just me, I think)

We go without willingly so that - here's a thought- we can pay Vets bills.

I despair, I truly, truly do.

Horses, people, horses. Can we PLEASE just concentrate on the horses? :no:

My understanding is these horses can't leave the state without a coggins, am I correct. So if you want to offer to purchase one and are out of state or out of the US. this is a problem at this point? Also, did Ginni bring a trailer down?

Wow... I guess this whole thing leaves me confused but I am very glad that some of those saw more then just the most amazing , caring loving wonderful old man who just loves his horses and provides for them and takes care of them just got in a bit over his head.

I am glad for the sake of the horses (I for one am not forgetting the pictures I saw nor the description of that poor gelding who if you all remember supposedly a vet saw and said it was cancer but didnt somehow see the MAGGOTS living inside of his sheath and tip of his penis.)

I am glad someone had the guts to FINALLY do something

I am glad that his neighbors who have not a bad thing to say about him say they now will hopefully step up and ensure no more animals starve in there own backyard.

Yes he is selling a few and yes he was selling them before however he was still breeding them to replace the sold horses as well, Yes he got rid of some however I remember reading a few pages back that the state vet recommended (told him) to drastically reduce his herd

I am sure those who know him love him and think he is wonderful and that he is incapable of doing what he did to those horses by letting them become walking skeletons.. (be it 10 or 100) one is to many!

But to somehow make him out to be the victim in all of this - the poor harassed man who has no money to take care of himself or his animals well just truly boggles my mind

Bottom line I hope all those "friends" of his those that feel he is loving and caring and truly know him to be such make the effort to ensure THEY are the ones to help him be it with money , or physical labor or whatever he needs beyond the next couple of weeks once all the media attention and the rescue organizations are off to the next farm to help more starving and neglected (but well loved) animals

".......... he has to make some $$ to help pay for the feed for the rest of them."

So you do know that Vern is poor and needs this money to feed the rest of his horses? IF this is a fact I thank you for saying so because it does cause my feelings to be a little differently. We do wonder about how this came about and I don't think we are wrong to want to know the facts. IF Vern has been poor but still continued to build a herd than he probably does need help in more ways than one. Just keep in mind WE CARE about living creatures who do not have a voice and that can't be so wrong either. Mary

I think Mr. Trembly has proven he cares, he turned over 11 horses that needed the most help........he didn't even have to do that, but he did. He has also sold a few as well, This man is trying, and none of you know him, so as my mother always said if you have nothing to say or offer that is nice and helpful, keep your mouth closed! This man has had a picture painted that I think is way worse than the situation. YES, he has some horses that needed more help than he could give them, and I know he has tried. His horses where not without water, there is a pond on the property. I have spoke to neighbors that are helping him now, and they have not said 1 bad word about him. This is very hard on him emotionally. If he wants to sell the rest to get his numbers down, then good for him, he has to make some $$ to help pay for the feed for the rest of them. And as long as the vets and the sheriff have not found any reason to bring charges I think people should lay off for the time being to let him try and do what he needs to do. If you want to buy some horses, then let him know and check them out. He was trying to sell some when this all happened, don't forget that. He doesn't have the internet to help him sell, he doesn't even have a home phone. So step back and think about your comments BEFORE you make them. This man has never ran anyone away and even invited people in after knowing what was being said about him. Give him a chance to make things right. I think people get overwhelmed sometimes and don't realize they need help, now that he is realizing he needs to reduce his numbers, let him try. I guess if you still think he is so bad, then you need to quit yapping, and go to Uniontown and meet him and see for yourself....
default_sad.png
And see the horses for yourself. Thank you for your time.

Yes, please, those that are coming here defending him to the 9s, you are forgetting the ones that have been removed. There was a problem, it never should have got to this. Because he let it get to this point without getting active veterinary care, I am not saying he didn't speak to a vet, I am saying there was no intervention done by a vet, especially in the case of the one with the infected penis. What I see is an elderly gentlemen who made some bad choices in not doing something earlier. It tells me that he in not capable of looking after the amount of minis he had. He should have been spending alot of time each day tending to their needs, feed/water, etc. Now hopefully he will reduce by ALOT or things will not get better and we will have to go through this all over again and that would make him, the sheriff not look too darn good. We are going to "trust" that his word, the sheriff's word will be good but I for one will be the first one to scream and yell if it ever gets to this point again. Because all along this was about the welfare of the horses!!!! Yes horses are livestock and everyone looks after their animals differently BUT we can all agree that you shouldn't have them if you can't give them the basics, food/water, necessary vet intervention when needed, yearly vacinnations. All the love in the world will NOT supply that unfortunately. Dedication, time, sweat and the dollars to do it will. I am sorry but you will not convince me that he is the "vicitim". If he is portrayed as the "victim" by the actions we had to take it's becaues he "victimized" some of the animals in his care. The ones that were immediately removed were done so for a reason, otherwise they would have been seized, that I am positive. He did the correct thing for them and for himself or things could have been much different and more could have been removed by being seized and then he would have had no choice whatsoever.

An added note - the grey (stallion) that was pictured - who wasn't removed I found out today - I am sorry but he certainly is not the picture of health either. So there are more than likely quite a few left that have an upward battle to regain their full health. That will take more than just money. Time will tell if this will happen or if the "slide" will happen again. I am willing to hold judgement until that time.

Pre-judgement without facts is wrong. Judgement with facts that can be proven is necessary for a society

to even consider what is an ethically acceptable action.

Consider the following----

"Whenever an animal is somehow forced into the service of men, every one of us must be concerned for any suffering it bears on that account. No one of us may permit any preventable pain to be inflicted, even though the responsibility for that pain is not ours. No one may appease his conscience by thinking that he would be interfering in something that does not concern him. No one may shut his eyes and think the pain, which is therefore not visible to him, is non-existent."

-- Albert Schweitzer --

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back