75 - 125 Kansas Minis "OMG Please help by WRITING!!"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:aktion033: :aktion033: And Albert knew what he was speaking about. Thanks for posting that.
default_wub.png
:

Pre-judgement without facts is wrong. Judgement with facts that can be proven is necessary for a society

to even consider what is an ethically acceptable action.

Consider the following----

"Whenever an animal is somehow forced into the service of men, every one of us must be concerned for any suffering it bears on that account. No one of us may permit any preventable pain to be inflicted, even though the responsibility for that pain is not ours. No one may appease his conscience by thinking that he would be interfering in something that does not concern him. No one may shut his eyes and think the pain, which is therefore not visible to him, is non-existent."

-- Albert Schweitzer --

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok Sheila, let's see how this goes. Perhaps others can put their heart felt thoughts into copies of this or something like this and then send to to all of the news casts, officials and publicity places they sent the original alarm letters and emails to. If you sent one out - you need to repeat the process with a positive update now.

Press Release

In Uniontown Kansas a near disaster was averted by compassionate horses lovers raising an alarm and then coming to the rescue of a man and his too many miniature horses. On September 17 a cry for help was issued by Chances Miniature Horse Rescue when it was notified of the plight of nearly 100 miniatures horses severely undernourished and in visibly poor condition. Through the joint efforts of caring Kansas citizens, Southern Winds Equine Rescue and Recovery Center, Chances Miniature Horse Rescue, Windingroad Rescue, Kansas Miniature Horse Club and numerous other groups 16 horses in the worst condition have been voluntarily surrendered by owner Vernon Trembly. Trembly, 71, has devoted his life to his herd of miniature horses and found himself unable to provide the care needed to keep his beloved animals healthy. The local sheriff had a Kansas State University veterinarian examine the balance of the herd and announced that they were no in imminent danger. Trembly has been told that he must reduce the number of animals he owns and clean all of the debris from his property. Donations of money, services, feed, medicine, equipment and support items have come to the rescue groups from around the world to help the Trembly minis. Work days are being organized for Saturday, October 13 and October 27 to assist in cleaning up the property for the safety of the animals and to haul in hay and feed to assist the elderly man. Victor McMullen of Southern Winds Rescue is organizing a schedule for regular visits to assist in the care of the animals. Virigina St. Pierre of Chances Miniature Horse Rescue is working to indntify buyers and foster homes to assist Trembly in reducing the size of his herd. Local miniature horse lovers have offered to provide mare care for his pregnant mares so they may safely give birth to healthy foals. On a sad note, a Kansas man who rescued several of the miniatures horses suffered a heart attack and has had to undergo heart bypass surgery early this morning. Offers for purchase of his excessive herd are flowing from around the world. Rather than stripping Trembly of his life long companions, the miniature horse community is coming to his aid. Updates and photos to follow.

How about something about where to go to provide donations and help?

IF YOU SENT EMAILS, FAXES, LETTER OR MADE CALLS TO NEWS OUTLETS, PUBLIC OFFICIALS AND OTHER PUBLICITY OUTLETS, PLEASE PROVIDE A POSITIVE FOLLOW TO EVERYONE YOU CONTACTED.

I also wanted to say thank you to Ronni who first brought this to the forefront, bless you for not turning a blind eye and seeking out CMHR. It seems those that lived around him, friends that saw him often, they didn't have the guts to do so. This situation is NOT something that hapened overnight folks. It took quite a bit of time to get to this so if you DID see this and didn't do anything about it, a simple phone call, SHAME ON YOU because you enabled this to continue to this point. This need not have gone this far and Ginni THANK YOU for caring enough for driving out there multiple times and checking things out. Without that, and without the pressure from you, the CMHR, NOTHING WOULD HAVE BEEN DONE and I am sure some horses would have perished by winter. Think about that, those of you who are coming here and making HIM into the victim. I for one am glad this happened, that Ronni reported, that Ginni stepped up, that the public got involved, if not neither the horses nor Mr. Trembly would be getting the help they ALL need, human and animals. You know what they say, sometimes it has to hurt before it gets better. There has been enough hurt!!! But by jumping jeppers it had better stop for the remaining horses still in his care. They can't go to the feed store themselves and pay for it, they can't call the vet when they are hurting so bad, they depend on us humans!! If you don't have the money to do this, whether it be own horses, cats, dogs, whatever THAN DON'T OWN THEM!

Yes Vicki, I already sent a fax to the Sheriff today and to the DA and to the Governor. I have no problem with this story except I truly pray, that no more mares will be bred and bring numbers back up! I can see the ones that are in foal now, but please stop this insanity if numbers are not drastically reduced. That part just blows my mind and on that note. I am totally done. I also will not donate to help pay for feed for the ones in his care because if he can't provide the feed himself than he can't afford to keep them!!! If people do that, that is enabling because he will have to now rely on ongoing donations to feed the remaining horses. I would donate to purchase some and help him reduce his herd but I guess I am a bad person for not wanting to enable him in keeping as many as he can because of that. .God help the horses.

I also will not be donating to any feed or vet care for the horses left behind. I feel terrible for saying so (and especially for doing so) but I just don't think it is right. If we start to support his herd, then WHY would he ever see there to be a problem? We would all be paying for feed and vet and farrier and dentist, and his horses, in time, would once again all be looking nice and healthy, and when the support stops(which it will, as people won't do it forever) again, the horses will suffer and we will be right back to where we started. I have NO problems at all with him selling his horses or with supporting CMHR for the care in the ones that were released into foster homes in their care, but I just won't pay to build this man's herd up, only to see the same thing happen again somewhere doen the road. :no:

I think your letter is great! It shows that the rescue groups did what had to be done to help the horses. It does not deny the situation was dire. Since the courts have no intentions of bringing Mr. Trembly up on charges we have to trust there decision. I think it shows what rescue groups are really meant to be. Caring, loving people who will do whatever is necessary to help the animals, even if it means setting the feelings and pride aside. Yes it did take the whole world to get this little town and Mr. Trembly to let go. It shows that there are a lot of caring people out there who will help and not judge.

As for the other post about the neighbors who saw what was happening and did nothing. Maybe they just didn't know who to call. They now know about these rescue groups and so do a lot of other people around the world. We just want to make sure that people WILL call when they see something and not be afraid of what might happen if they do.

Shelia B.

I believe the people who are very against helping Mr. Trembly have every right to feel that way. We will all do what we can for what we believe is the best for the horses. I don't believe any of the donations from the resuce groups will go to help Mr. Trembly. It appears to be a separate issue, but you should check just to be sure. Helping Mr. Trembly will be the people who want to to that and believe this will also help the rest of the horses in his care. I want to help the horses whether they are left in his care or not. I may find later that he took advantage of this help, but I will sleep better knowing that I did something for those left behind. I will trust the neighbors and people to keep an eye on the situation and not let it get out of hand. That's all I can do. (Just one little Starfish)

Shelia

UPDATE FROM VIRGINA:

NINE MORE HORSES HAVE BEEN RE-HOMED!!!!!!!!!! :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

7 Stallions and 2 babies have been purchased today.

One of our forum members bought two stallions and she can tell you all about that if she wants to, (congratulations and thank you)

and the others were purchased by the Kansas Mini Horse Club.

Ginny says that she could have never gotten those horses out of there today if it was not for them. She said that one of those horses in this group was the white stallion that was down. That the people of Kansas Mini Horse Club is AMAZING!!!!!! She could not say enough good things about them. She said they brought pictures of them driving and Mr. T had pictures of him driving and they talked and talked about it and he loved it. (I'm gonna cry now dang it). And get this: Their plans are once the horses are in good shape, they are going to be taught to DRIVE in parades!!!!!!!!! YAY !!! :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

Ginny wants everyone to know that slowly but surely Mr. T is finally coming around to realize some of his errors. She thinks she has really gotten through to him but its been difficult.

default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:

She has basically been following him around out there like a puppy and they have been talking a lot. She said wherever he goes, she goes. He moves stuff from here to there and she goes with it. He feeds and she walks along and goes too. She is very confident that she is reaching him on some levels, but it is still hard for him to see what we see.

She wants everyone to know that he has been nothing but a complete gentleman to her and every single person since she has been there. And after spending two days with this man, she feels he is in fact knowledgable of horses and quite the likeable person once you have been around him.

Ginny said that trying to get horses away from him is very difficult. Very hard. He knows each one and has names for them and he is terribly reluctant each time they talk about selling off more, but he knows he has to get his numbers down. She said he explains over and over this was his life's work, and he had this to show for what his life was all about and he wants people to acknowledge that and know they are worth something. She again does not feel he is without personal funds, and she again feels he is not all about the money at all. She said he is footing the bill for all his own feed and hay. She said it is remarkable to watch, that these little minis simply love this man; that they follow him around everywhere he goes.
default_crybaby.gif
:
default_crybaby.gif
:
default_crybaby.gif
: (Now I'm really caving).
default_crybaby.gif
:
default_crybaby.gif
:
default_crybaby.gif
:

She feels she has established a good repoire with Mr. T and is going back on Saturday and also on Sunday to try and secure more horses somehow. She said that is getting more and more difficult each time, but will keep on it. And on Sunday Victor McMillons horse group moves in will be there to help move junk and she thinks possibly they will be building shelters. :488: :488: :488: ( OH PLEASE give them shelters). She said she thinks Victor can help her get more horses out. And she is then going to hang out with them a while and see what exactly the plan is. She said Victor's group will continue to moniter this whole thing in a big way, and not let it get away and out of control. And that he may be able to get even more horses out of there as well.

Oh, and a particular little very pregnant mare I had my eyes on that I was worried to death was ready to foal any second is a gelding.
default_frusty.gif
:

Ginny has gone to get herself some Mexican food tonite and have a beer!
default_cheers.gif
:

There are 73 minis left.

:aktion033: What an uplifting update!! THANK YOU! He sure does sound like a dear, sweet man, it is just too bad that he cannot see things as they really are. :no: Maybe in time, the more the rescues/people work there with him and spend time with him, he will be more apt to let more go. Thank you Mr. Trembly for allowing as many as you have thus far, go to new homes.

I believe the people who are very against helping Mr. Trembly have every right to feel that way. We will all do what we can for what we believe is the best for the horses. I don't believe any of the donations from the resuce groups will go to help Mr. Trembly. It appears to be a separate issue, but you should check just to be sure. Helping Mr. Trembly will be the people who want to to that and believe this will also help the rest of the horses in his care. I want to help the horses whether they are left in his care or not. I may find later that he took advantage of this help, but I will sleep better knowing that I did something for those left behind. I will trust the neighbors and people to keep an eye on the situation and not let it get out of hand. That's all I can do. (Just one little Starfish)

Shelia
Bless you and the starfish you help. I'm going back Sunday--to help clean up (with others), and donated hay and Equine Senior.

Mona I think that this man has had so many people there sitting down calmly talking with him not at him and showing him pictures and things, he is beginning to come around. That is my hope anyhow. I do not believe from speaking to Ginny that he is just being stubborn at all. He simply thinks differently than we do and trying to change a mans ways is very difficult as we women know! Little pun there but you know what I mean. "Teaching an old dog new tricks" so to speak at 70 years old.........ain't easy.

If we were taught one way and lived one way all our lives and suddenly found out we have been wrong this entire time well........ Letting go is what is killing him though according to Ginny and that part is just tearing me up so bad my eyes are wet again

Can someone please tell me how a horse can get maggots up in his D__K holder? :smileypuke:

I swear I cannot figure that one out.
default_frusty.gif
:
Sorry but a little graphic here:

I might be able to put some insight to your question. Last fall we had a cow deliver out in the field, and she had prolapsed. Meaning her urterus had came out with the calf ( making it inside out, hanging outside of her). The coytoes had gotten to her heffer. They had bitten half of the baby's tail off and from hunger after a couple of hours, she took off into the herd and the cow stayed in the woods. I saw a baby trying to nurse on others and knew she had a mother somewhere in trouble. We found her and had the Vet come out and push the urterus back in sew the cow up and I brought the baby inside and took over being the mother. (again) The mother died the next day.

After a few days I noticed maggots on her tail and had gone into the vaginal area. I too had to clean her and I won't go into more details, but to answer your question, just a small scratch or open wound will attract flys and it's so easy to get a major problem started.

Probably in the begining of his problem the horse was drawing his penis up, spreading the maggots inside, and then it all went down hill from there. They spread quickly.

I hope you can understand now how easily these kind of things can happen.

I do not believe from speaking to Ginny that he is just being stubborn at all. He simply thinks differently than we do and trying to change a mans ways is very difficult as we women know!
No, I never thought it was due to his being stubborn at all. I was totally understanding that it was just due to his not seeing things the way others see them.

Probably not the best choice of words just doing the best I can been sleep deprevation does that to me
default_wink.png
:

[SIZE=14pt]Marty, you showered yet?? LOL...
default_poke.gif
:
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Your update was great! :aktion033: Thank you
default_yes.gif
:
[/SIZE]

Excellent news! Thank you, Marty.

Ginny, you and and all the GREAT folks who have been working with Mr. Trembly have my utmost respect - I am in awe of your kindness, professionalism - and stamina! I would love to meet all of you in person some day .

I would like to extend my best wishes to Mr. Trembly, as well, for being gracious and open to new ideas in a situation that must be extremely difficult for him.

As for you all, my fellow forum participants, I feel I have stumbled upon a new and wonderful place, where my horse-craziness is accepted - even expected! Virtual hugs to you all, and thank you again for all the interesting, useful, and fun stuff you have taught me here. <sniff!>

Good night, all!

Lori

I am very glad you all are seeing him the way I did and do, and said he was all along.

I was floored when there was talk of rounding up "wild" horses. I said they came when he called them and LOVED him.

And OF COURSE they all have names and he knows each one of them.

Sorry....... It just hurts that no one believed "me" when I tried to explain all of this again and again.

But I am still glad you finally see it.

Susan O.

Update from the trenches today. But first let me say I'm expressing my personal views. I didn't know Vern before today but after being in his pasture with he and his horses and Ginny and several other people today, these are my impressions. It's been a long day and I don't intend to get into a dissing contest with anyone who doesn't agree with my opinion. It is after all MY opinion.

First, like Marty said a total of 13 horses were moved today. The 3 geldings and the baby that weren't picked up before; plus an adorable buckskin foal that everybody had their eye on. He was sold while I was still walking around, but I had spotted him already. Trailer #1 pulled out with those 4 horses loaded.

The ladies from the Kansas Mini Club started talking with Vern and he agreed to let them take 4. While they were rounding their 4 up, I offfered to take one. He agreed. They asked for another, again he agreed. Then I got a second one. Total of 7 on that trailer plus another foal. I don't think there are any more foals there. Two of todays foals and the 7 stallions were purchased at a reasonable price. While we were picking them out we were trying to take those who looked the worst. I think we were successful.

One of my first reactions was that it wasn't as crowded with junk vehicles as I thought it would be. The photos we saw showed them all lined up; which they are. They aren't scattered all over the place like I expected to see them. There was a lot of open, uncluttered pasture. There was manure in the pasture - it hadn't all been eaten like had been speculated about. Yes there is junk. Yes there are things there I wouldn't leave in my pasture; but it isn't my pasture. If people are going out to help him clean things up for the safety of the horses I say good for them!

There were 2 round bales the horses were feeding on. I saw salt and mineral blocks available to them.

When I first got there I talked for several minutes with Vern. As Ginny said he's quite polite. Let's face it, he could be standing at the gate with a shotgun and telling all of us to get the heck off his property. He isn't doing that. He's friendly, he's reasonable, he's totally overwhelmed and, as much as he hates it, he's trying to comply with the order to reduce his herd.

The reporter from Fox4 got there at the same time I did. I don't think Vern was expecting them, but I saw that he was giving them an interview. I guess they aired something again this evening. At one time there were about 14 people milling around. That's enough to drive anybody nuts. I certainly wouldn't be very happy about 14 unexpected guests tromping all over my pasture.

After the first trailer left and we started talking with Vern about taking more horses Sheriff Coleman and Deputy Grey arrived. Both friendly, straight-forward men, not ogres. Sheriff Coleman urged us several times to "keep dealing" "keep talking" with Vern. He recognized that Vern was responding to us and horses were being moved. Part of his goal is to see the numbers go down. Nice men. I enjoyed meeting them both.

I took lots of pictures, but it will probably be tomorrow before I get them posted. All in all I enjoyed the day. It was definitely worth the 8 hour drive.

I think Mr. Trembly has proven he cares, he turned over 11 horses that needed the most help........he didn't even have to do that, but he did. He has also sold a few as well, This man is trying, and none of you know him, so as my mother always said if you have nothing to say or offer that is nice and helpful, keep your mouth closed! This man has had a picture painted that I think is way worse than the situation. YES, he has some horses that needed more help than he could give them, and I know he has tried. His horses where not without water, there is a pond on the property. I have spoke to neighbors that are helping him now, and they have not said 1 bad word about him. This is very hard on him emotionally. If he wants to sell the rest to get his numbers down, then good for him, he has to make some $$ to help pay for the feed for the rest of them. And as long as the vets and the sheriff have not found any reason to bring charges I think people should lay off for the time being to let him try and do what he needs to do. If you want to buy some horses, then let him know and check them out. He was trying to sell some when this all happened, don't forget that. He doesn't have the internet to help him sell, he doesn't even have a home phone. So step back and think about your comments BEFORE you make them. This man has never ran anyone away and even invited people in after knowing what was being said about him. Give him a chance to make things right. I think people get overwhelmed sometimes and don't realize they need help, now that he is realizing he needs to reduce his numbers, let him try. I guess if you still think he is so bad, then you need to quit yapping, and go to Uniontown and meet him and see for yourself....
default_sad.png
And see the horses for yourself. Thank you for your time.

I agree with you, Littlehorses. It is so easy to judge what you don't know about.

I see nothing wrong with people helping an older man clean his property up. It used to be done back when people cared about each other. Neighbors helped neighbors when neighbors needed help, and they didn't want money in return. It's called "compassion and the right thing to do", which seems to have been taken out of the Dictionary or is no longer bred into the human race. With all the, "I want,I want" and the "that's mine, that's mine", most have forgotten what being a human is about. Again, the "All mighty dollar" wins in the end. Screw the person that needs help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back