75 - 125 Kansas Minis "OMG Please help by WRITING!!"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IF PETA goes by what they normally do. They will KILL all the minis before allowing any one to own or help them.

Please don't go there.
We have been directly involved with a case that PETA intervened with and I can honestly say that they were professional and extremely helpful. The horses were removed from a horrendous neglect situation and placed with a rescue organization. I do realize that PETA can be a bit over the top in certain situations, however, Stephanie Bell from PETA was a great asset to that particular situation.

:bgrin :aktion033: Haaaaheeeee!!!!!
default_wub.png
: :lol:

Well, if you two are smiling, then it's good. So, I am excited...just love payback!
default_wub.png
:

HOW ABOUT SOME SIZEABLE DONATIONS FROM MANY OF THE READERS THAT KEEP CHECKING THIS FORUM. I DONATED $500 BECAUSE I AM ABLE TO DO SOAND I'M SO FAR AWAY I CAN'T HELP IN OTHER WAYS. I AM SURE THERE ARE OTHERS OUT THERE WHO COULD MATCH OR BETTER THAT.IF YOU CAN'T DO LOTS DO WHAT YOU CAN. EVERY LITTLE BIT HELPS. SEND THE MONEY VIA PAY PAL TO [email protected] THESE LITTLE MINIS NEED EVERY CENT WE CAN GATHER. THERE WILL BE HUUUGE EXPENSES once they are removed from Trembly.I feel in my heart it is coming soon.

TO: Sheriff Harold Coleman

Oxford Mills, Ontario (CANADA)

FAX: 620-223-0055

c.c. The Honorable Terri L. Johnson

Governor Kathleen Sebelius

Sheriff Coleman,

I am sure, at this point in time, that you are well versed in the complaints being received by your office with regards to the now infamous herd of miniature horses (and goats) in your county (Bourbon County) as well as your inaction on upholding the cruelty laws of the state of Kansas. You have been receiving emails, faxes, phone calls from numerous citizens and organizations of your fine state, from international citizens/groups from Canada, Europe, Australia, Jordan, just to name a few.

I understand that you have deemed this entire situation as - just a bunch of crazy computer folks, You can call us concerned individuals and groups whatever you like, but the fact remains that you have, in your county, which is under your jurisdiction, a herd of miniature horses and goats that are not being given the basics for sustained healthy lives for some time now. These animals have not become this emaciated due only to an infestation of parasites, it is because of lack of water/food and pure neglect on the part of the owner.

Perhaps, Sheriff Coleman, you do not realize or are unable to comprehend that your inaction has not only tarnished the small town of Uniontown and surrounding area, but it has also tarnished the state of Kansas and those holding office in Bourbon County and specifically the Governor of Kansas.

Applying a band-aid solution may alleviate the publicity and may appease some, for awhile, but I can assure you it won’t last. I believe that the message is loud and clear and quite obvious to those that can see past the platitudes that you are offering to those speaking directly to you by phone, that Mr. Trembly is unable now and on an ongoing basis to financially afford the proper upkeep of this herd of miniature horses and goats. Mr. Trembly has demonstrated in these circumstances that he is unable to financially bare the upkeep on an on-going and sustainable basis this large herd of animals. Pray tell please, if he is unable to pay for basics, how will he be able to give the proper yearly vaccinations, and emergency care that every horse and large animal owner eventually has to deal with when owning animals?

Instead, not only has this owner turned a blind eye since this was first reported back in mid-September, he considers himself “just a good ol country boy” (his words) who doesn’t know what he is going to do if the veterinarian bills are too much for him to pay. This is what he said during his interview on Fox 4 Kansas. His words sir, nor ours.. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to acertain that Mr. Trembly has too many miniature horses and goats in his care for what he can contribute to them financially for their upkeep. That size of herd would be too much for most miniature horse breeders anywhere to be responsible for.

I would like to reiterate that this inactivity on your part to permanently find a solution will not just go away any time soon. If anything it will get more media attention, more concerned kansas residents aware and international exposure. You may also be aware, if not, you are now, that Legal counsel has been sought and obtained to follow this through if need be and is something that will come to fruition should the need arise. The bottom line sir is you have a 70 year old resident of your county on perhaps a fixed income who has a very large number of miniature horses and goats and who has shown in the past, for some time, and now, that he is unable to consistently, and without having food and care donations for the animals, find the resources (time and money) for their basic well-being. Those facts will never go away until YOU do something about it.

Have a good day.

Last edited by a moderator:
If anybody in any area close to Uniontown,KS knows any bikers please contact them and make them aware of this terrible situation. Bikers are well known for having giant hearts and hate abuse of any kind.They are usually not intimidated by much of anything either ,including a country sherriff and the good ole boy system.I am sure they would step up if asked.

:new_shocked: There is a great possibility he is got the ball going on feeding etc...due to the fact that people post and say when they are going and what they are planning. This in fact, if anyone is reading and helping him, is giving him a heads up. Not helping the situation when new people need to see the facts, when they get there...NOT the coverup and sudden care. Although, it won't cure the problem of the health that has taken more then overnight to get to this point with the ones that look really bad.

I know everyone wants to be kept informed, but may be a good idea to post info after it has happened not prior. And start an email list (personally/hidden) of who wants to know ahead of time. But their may very well be eyes on here, not looking out for the best interest of the horses long term.

:no: It is sad, he has had the money this whole time, and it takes this much publicity to get his animals fed and cared for. Really pathetic! :eek:
FMC I appreciate your concern but it's a stretch to suggest that those horses are being fed today because Mary posted here yesterday that they were driving to Uniontown today. The more likely scenario is that Trembly is motivated by a combination of press attention from yesterday as well as at least some knowledge of other events taking place that Virginia alluded to in her latest update. So let's keep the speculation on all aspects of this issue out of it. Please.

IF PETA goes by what they normally do. They will KILL all the minis before allowing any one to own or help them.

Please don't go there.
We have been directly involved with a case that PETA intervened with and I can honestly say that they were professional and extremely helpful. The horses were removed from a horrendous neglect situation and placed with a rescue organization. I do realize that PETA can be a bit over the top in certain situations, however, Stephanie Bell from PETA was a great asset to that particular situation.

That is great, I have heard similar things. Not everyone from any given organization thinks/acts the same way. Look at all the different opinions on this forum!

That is great, I have heard similar things. Not everyone from any given organization thinks/acts the same way. Look at all the different opinions on this forum!
While I am not a fan of PETA's extremists, I would bet that the many, if not a good majority of them are really just caring individuals that don't wish to see any harm done. I could not fathum the majority of over 1.5 million members being concerned about abuse and then wishing that the animal gets euthanized.

I am glad that CRERS has had some success with this group helping. And I would bet that the media would pick up on the issue especially if groups like PETA were involved just because the media LOVES controversy! I know that should not be the case as the media should not be biased, but they do look after their ratings don't they....

I can't believe the success with getting this story to spread. It normally takes what seems like forever to get something listed high up in the search engines so I was amazed to find this.

If you do any google searches, you can easily find links to this story without using any words like abuse or rescue. If I was searching for a miniature horse in KS, I am likely to find links to this story without even knowing the town name. This is good! And if I knew the area, I would be even more likely to find out about this situation. Lets see first page from the search results only:

kansas miniature horse -- links 7, 10

ks miniature horse -- links 3, 9

bourbon miniature horse -- links 1, 2, 3, 5, 6

uniontown miniature horse -- links 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 8

And with all the bulliten boards and what not that are cross linked to this story, I can only imagine that this will continue to spread, and there will be controversial groups that will get wind of this.

I can't wait for an update after 5 pm today. Sitting on pins and needles until then. I just hope and pray that this update will be good news.

:aktion033: Copied from a post by Dimimore...

Ok, now you folks out there waiting for the chance to do SOMETHING to help and have things to sell...email me your info and a good photo, your opening bid or buy it now price, increments for bidding will $1. YOU pay the shipping! I will let you know who won, when it's paid for, and where to send it.
SO let us get cracking on this and help raise some money to make the smiles on our CMHR BOD huge!!!

My contact info is:

[email protected]

[email protected]

MY phone is 607-525-6610

Remember every cent of each items selling price goes to help CMHR with this project in Kansas and wherever else it it needed, so clean out those cupboards, tie up those magazine, got some halters, lead lines, blankets, winter's comin. Pretty soaps, handcrafted beaded jewelry (and I'm not the only creative person here), drawn art, painted art, equine services, dog services, kids things, beanie babies! Let us fill the CMHR Auction to the brim!!!

You folks wanting to help but have nothing to sell...no problem..buy what's there!!!

Come on all, don't fight over posts! Ginny is dealing with legal aspects of this case and obviously cannot post in advance about the legal steps being taken. That's a little different than people saying "I'm going tomorrow to see the horses"

I'm quite sure that Vern is feeding the horses today just because of all the publicity--not because of anything specific being said on here about who is going to visit the farm when. If the sheriff has a lick of sense he will have told Vern to feed the horses for a few days & the people will all give up and go away. That's very typical of cases of this sort. Feed the animals so that if anyone does check, there's nothing that can be done.

Hmm I did say no questions! LOL But I can answer the one on time 5PM Kansas Time

also got this from a new forum member (Thank you)

Was watching KOAM out of Pittsburg, KS and they said they will be showing the report taken yesterday (I think) as new at 5:00 tonite. Just thought I'd let you know.

G

the two 5pms have no relation!

I sure wish I could take a few. I would in a heartbeat. I have the room, I have the shelter, I have plenty of feed, vet on hand who is really starting to know her 'stuff' about mini's--I also have a farrier who is great with them. I sure wish I lived closer. It breaks my heart to see the state these poor creatures have been subjected to at that place :no: .

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking at the Ft. Scott Tribune. I had replied to a report earlier in the week about the rest of the truth and I ran accross a story in todays paper.

http://www.fstribune.com/story/1283398.html

The article starts out pretty good but then crusty old vern gets interviewed. The article went down hill real fast from that point.

At the end of the article there is a space for commenting on this story. I did. Kept my cool and just pointed out some of good old verns errors. His 50 years of horse experience have not taught him much.

On the just missed the boat front, there is an article that Sam Brownback, my Kansas senator that happens to be running for president was in Uniontown on Monday to look at a potential watershed project. To bad this couldn't have been brought to his attention.

If Sam happens to be campaining in your area I would visit and ask about how animals are treated in Uniontown by those crusty good old boys.

Well here's my letter:

Dear Little Horses,

One day a kind lady went to visit you because she wanted to buy one of you. She was shocked when she saw the trouble you were in. So she made it her priority to report your conditions to several agencies until she found one that would listen to her and agree to help you. If it wasn't for her, we would have never known that you needed help. That lady is a hero.

Your owner doesn't deserve to own you and you do not belong there with him. But don't think that all people are like that. There are people who want you. They will give you food, water, shelter, and love and kindness; and ok, maybe even tie a few ribbons and bows in your mane too. I know I would.

Do you know that there is green stuff that grows from the ground? It's called grass, and horses love to eat it. Do you know there are inventions called "buckets" that you can eat from; that is, when there is something provided for you to eat? Did you know that there are places called feed stores where people actually spend lots of money to buy food for horses? And there are lots of flavors to choose from, so if you don't like one kind, your owner will buy you another kind! There is stuff called "medication" which is what you can have when you don't feel good so that your body doesn't feel any pain. There these funny things called brushes that people use to push against your body to clean your hairs, and that makes horses feel real good. I know that right now you don't know anything about these things. but once you experience good care for the first time, you will feel like you have never felt before. You will develop quite a little personality! You'll be so happy and carefree, maybe even become sneaky or devious, just like other horses. The time will come when you no longer have to stand under the scorching hot summer sun and burn up and suffer without water. You will not have to eat manure and dirt ever again. Your bones won't creak and you will trot a big trot with your tails flying in the air. You'll run with the wind to your back, whinnying as you go. In the winter, you will be warm and kept in softly bedded down in a clean barn with warm water to drink and hay to eat.

We have thousands of people trying to get you to your new homes every day. I know you haven't met any of them, but you are so wanted and so much loved. They fell in love with your pictures and said how much they wanted you to join their good families. But in this confusing human world, we have something called the "legal system" and in order for us to get you to better lands, this legal system takes time, and we know you don't have much of that left. We are thousands against a small handful of people that are fighting us. It is nearly impossible for us to understand how they have over-powered us from saving you so far, but it won't last much longer. Promise.

Soon you will have one of these new homes that I speak of where the grass is green and life is good. So, if you have to lay down to sleep today, please remember to wake up because your new homes are not that far away.

Love,

Me

Tnkrtoy thanks so much for posting that link. It's great to know that the newpapers have finally picked up on this story. I know a lot of us contacted them about it. Thanks again for letting us know.

Thanks for that link Tnkrtoy. I think that all in all it was a pretty good article. I particularly liked the part when Vern was crying the blues about the cost of worming. That in itself spoke volumes. What also spoke volumes to me was Sheriff Coleman's comment, "Coleman said the sheriff's office doesn't put up with animal neglect. "If this was deliberate neglect, they (horses) would've already been gone," he said".

The comments from Ginny and Ronnie with respect to their on site observations were quite compelling as well.

Okay Marty...that did it! Tears flowing here now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back