75 - 125 Kansas Minis "OMG Please help by WRITING!!"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I did a search on studbook.com it only listed Mary Trembly. I can not remember, is this his ex wife? If so, and if the horses papers are still in her name or are jointly held wouldn't that make her the legal owner? And if she is the legal owner, at least of the ones with papers, wouldn't that mean she has the ability to sell or surrender them? Just a thought. I've got no idea of the legality of that, it just crossed my mind when I saw her name.

This is getting crazy.. that news show...showing only the best looking of the horse's.

And sounds like folks are running into the "good olde boys club".

Anyway to get a court order to have the horse's removed?

If you put just Trembly in under owners name, it brought up 158 for me- MOST of which are in his name, but some are in both names, I am assuming before the divorce in about 95? Only about 4 or 5 are in Mary's name only, many are in both of their names but the majority are in his name.

Who is going to help this man on a long term thing? And make sure that the feed being sent or whatever is actually being used on a daily basis? They have no shelter from winter weather from what I see of pictures, no farrier care, no shots, worming, or even simple medications.

Why would the horses be left in the care of someone who DOES NOT CARE one whit about them- one has lost it's eye but has not been given a second look. The property is too crowded, overgrazed into nothing and I feel he keeps the herd to continue his subsidies there on the property and his 'livestock' rights there.

If he loved those horses more than life itself, then he would have committed suicide long ago as this is apparently not a new or recent situation but has been going on for years. It is not because he is senile.. they are merely livestock 'objects' and he doesnt care whether they live or die. Either they make it or they dont.

I dont know anyone willing to spend the next several years sitting on the property and babysitting these horses at everyone else's expense to avoid the problems of getting them removed and STOP people like this from treating their animals this way. This is a crime and needs to be reported and handled as such, and the horses need to be removed- period.

By the way, 64 of the horses listed under his/their names are listed as stallions with MAYBE a dozen geldings. However, this does not include any horses born after 2000 cause none show as being registered since. I am sure though that the horses listed born in the late 70's and most of the 80's are NOT still alive.. if so, it would be very few.............

Well, off to work I go.... wish I were on a truck going somewhere else...

Last edited by a moderator:
This is hard for me to say because I hurt for those minis but I sure hope no one donates feed to this man. It's a quick fix for him and I'm so afraid that as soon as all this dies down things will go back to just the way they are now. Why wouldn't they?
I can't justify why we should not want these poor horses fed and watered when all I can think of is how pathetic they are, so hungry and thirsty. So abandoned. If I could I would be feeding them and watering them- Trembly be d----d. I believe the legal system will eventually win out. But what good is the win if the horses are dead?
Yes I have to say I would do nothing.....the reason is I watched horses end up dying because people did just that fed and watered when the wheels of justice were rusted and not moving. The act of feeding them cost alot of people months of work to try and get a seizure. In the ensuing months more horses died than would have if it had been left as it was.
Runamuk I so rarely agree with you and I still don't 100% but I have to say in this case, I think you are right. Ask ANYone who has actually been involved in a case like this - if officials show up and food and water is present what do you think happens? They make a note that there was food and water present, it appears the animals are being cared for, and go on their merry way. And then you can't win through the legal system.

Don't think I'm heartless for saying this - I want those little ones out of there now, I want them out for good, and I want Mr. Trembly to have consequences and not be allowed to own animals again. It is why I have sent out over 400 e-mails the last couple of weeks. It is why I check this site every single hour that I'm awake.

All that being said - don't think I won't do a happy dance if I were to ever find out that a convoy had taken place :bgrin

I am a very new shelter in Kansas (and new to this forum) about two hours from Uniontown. I'll be heading out shortly to add to the eyes that can hopefully report back to those so far away.

I'm not going with any agenda, other than to aid however I can in securing care for the horses. It is my hope they are seized, because I would like to see the laws enforced that were put in place to protect them and others like them.

Kristin Chambers

Winding Road Equine Rescue & Retirement

IF A FEW PEOPLE WOULD LIKE TO SEND E-MAIL ADDRESSES, I CAN TRY TO SEND PICTURES FROM MY CAMERAPHONE. HOWEVER, I WILL BE LEAVING IN THE NEXT HALF HOUR.

I agree--there is absolutely no point in trying help this guy. If someone wants to get into helping him keep these horses I'd say that someone is looking at paying for the feed, the vet, the farrier costs, and then either being there every day to feed the horses or paying to have someone else go daily & feed the horses.

If this were a case where the owner got injured & had no one to help him for 3 or 6 weeks while he recuperated, then yes, offering him assistance for that period of time would be an idea. Thatisn't the case in this instance. This is an ongoing, long term instance of neglect and abuse and helping the guy isn't going to fix it...unless the helper wants to take over full responsibility for caring for these horses while the owner retains ownership and custody.

In regards to the subsidies--I don't think the horses are being kept as a means of collecting the farm subsidies. On one of these pages there was a post listing the subsidy paid to him for each of the 10 years from 1995 to 2005. Those amounts were broken down into sunflower/wheat/livestock. By far the largest portion went to the sunflowers each year, with wheat second and livestock last. A number of the years the amount paid to him for wheat and livestock was $0.

I think he's always had 100 or so horses and so he now has to continue to have 100 or so horses

edited to add: runamuk is right. In cases like this a person can do more harm than good by feeding the horses.

Look at this picture. You arrive at the property. There is no one else there. The horses do not have feed, nor water. You fill their water tubs. You put out hay (if there is actually any hay to put out--or maybe you brought a load of bales from home). 20 minutes after you feed them, the KSU vet drives in to do his evaluation. He sees the hay and the water, looks at the horses, acknowledges that they are in very poor shape but notes that with the feed they now have they should pick up, all he can do is recommend that the owner continue with this feeding program plus do whatever deworming and hoof care...he tells the sheriff to continue monitoring the situation, and that's the closing of that door. Owner and sheriff stand and smirk, because you have made them look good!

I'm so angry! :ugh: I posted about the Kansas minis on 3 forums that are local in my area. I went back to one yesterday, only to find it was no longer there. I inquired to one of the mods as to why it was pulled..........no response. Later, a posting shows up from an angry forum member, saying he didn't agree with the reason it was pulled, and so did a couple others. The mod came on, and said it belonged in the "General Discussion" section, and not in the "Horse and Rider" section that clearly states the topics as follows:

Horses, tack, equine health and feed supplies.....................as well as discussion regarding equine related subjects.

The mod locked the topic, but apparently there are still angry posters because another thread was started about the same thing, and then pulled completely I noticed this morning.

I don't know how others feel, but since when is equine neglect considered a GENERAL DISCUSSION???????

Probably not much help but has anyone got the State Police involved. They can override the County Sheriff.

edited to add: runamuk is right. In cases like this a person can do more harm than good by feeding the horses.

Look at this picture. You arrive at the property. There is no one else there. The horses do not have feed, nor water. You fill their water tubs. You put out hay (if there is actually any hay to put out--or maybe you brought a load of bales from home). 20 minutes after you feed them, the KSU vet drives in to do his evaluation. He sees the hay and the water, looks at the horses, acknowledges that they are in very poor shape but notes that with the feed they now have they should pick up, all he can do is recommend that the owner continue with this feeding program plus do whatever deworming and hoof care...he tells the sheriff to continue monitoring the situation, and that's the closing of that door. Owner and sheriff stand and smirk, because you have made them look good!

EXACTLY - PLEASE FOLKS KEEP THIS IN MIND!!! PLEASE!!!!!

Please re-read the last post from Virginia and attorney we have involved in this! I know Thursday feels like a very long ways away (it sure does to me) but it's just tomorrow. Yes, a couple of those minis may not have that much time - I know that, and it BREAKS my heart! But I'm trying to think of the long term and that whole herd.

I'm so angry! :ugh: I posted about the Kansas minis on 3 forums that are local in my area. I went back to one yesterday, only to find it was no longer there. I inquired to one of the mods as to why it was pulled..........no response. Later, a posting shows up from an angry forum member, saying he didn't agree with the reason it was pulled, and so did a couple others. The mod came on, and said it belonged in the "General Discussion" section, and not in the "Horse and Rider" section that clearly states the topics as follows:

Horses, tack, equine health and feed supplies.....................as well as discussion regarding equine related subjects.

The mod locked the topic, but apparently there are still angry posters because another thread was started about the same thing, and then pulled completely I noticed this morning.

I don't know how others feel, but since when is equine neglect considered a GENERAL DISCUSSION???????
I do find it a little strange about your post above, Geri, and how some of the Craig's List posts have been flagged for removal. Makes me a little paranoid about conspiracy theories and such! Speculating about conspiracy probably doesn't do any good and just makes me look crazy, but just wanted to admit that I find some of this strange.

~Mini Mouse~I believe the State Troopers do have jurisdiction over the County. I have included the info.

General Headquarters122 SW 7th

Topeka, KS 66603

(785) 296-6800

[email protected]

http://www.kansashighwaypatrol.org/about/contact.html
Attention to all~If you decide to contact them, do it with all courtesy and as much etiquette as possible. We don't want them thinking it is a prank or anything. I do hold our state troopers very high in Kansas. All that I have met have been very down to earth and look forward to upholding the law. So do not make snide remarks against the sheriff, till you know that they won't take that personally. They shouldn't, it has nothing against their accomplishments, but we don't know how they would respond to it.

[SIZE=12pt]May be best that Marty, Jess, Gini, Ginny email call them due to their involvement and status too.[/SIZE]

It may not hurt if they can compile a list of people who could be contacted also with their major interests and concern. That would help them realize a lot of people are seriously worried.

Are these horses insured? Is that why they aren't getting fed? If they die does he collect? He could have a vet on board to say they died of something they didn't.

I don't know enough about equine insurance but was wondering.

Kansas Residents Please read. We need you...the more we get on board, the better.
This is a letter from Vicki Thompson (dorrie & Franke) on LB, she is acting as our lawyer.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE send her your info

My name is Vicki Thompson,

Nearly all of you have expessed a desire to help in the situation with the Trembly miniature horses in Uniontown, KS. I have been making personal contacts by telephone and find that I am too slow. Please pardon the broadcast nature of this.

I am an attorney in Houston and I have secured local co-counsel in Kansas City by a Kansas attorney to help me represent a group of Kansas citizens and organizations with vested interests in the welfare of animals and in particular, these 94 horses and 30 some goats. I am working with Chances Miniature Horse Rescue and the Kansas based rescue organization South Winds Equine Rescue to approach the county court with a civil motion for temporary injunctive relief. We would show the court through affidavits, some testimony, and photographic evidence that Mr. Trembly and Sheriff Coleman have failed to follow Kansas statutes. In addition to violating the animal abuse statute, Mr. Trembly has failed to be licensed as breeder as required under the "puppy mill" statutes in Kansas that require breeders and distributors to be licensed by the state and in allowing horse carcasses to remain unburied. That violation carries a $100/day/carcass fine until those are properly disposed of according to the statute requirements. We would be asking the court to give us an order to allow an independent veterinary exam of all horses and goats, to prevent those animals from being moved (again) without health certificates, current Coggins and vaccinations unless it is too verified rescue ranches, and to allow us to take temporary custody of the animals until a finding could be made regarding the issue of neglect.

We consider this action as a last effort.

The cost of the suit would be the filing fees and any bonds the court would require to be posted. If the suit should go forward beyond that some fees may be needed for deposition or expert witnesses. At this point I have a commitment from CMHR, SWER and other volunteers to provide raise those fees. All legal services would be provided without fee (pro bono). I cannot guarentee that Mr. Trembly would not counter claim for harassment or abuse of process in trying to bring this action. I would not think that he would or that the court would be persueded that he should be awarded anything in light of his actions. That however is a potential downside that is not likely but could exist. The worse case scenarioo for this group is that we merely get tossed out of court as having no standing to bring the action. I anticipate no financial repercussions for individually named plaintiffs. The more Kansas citizens and organizations to make a stand the better the persuasive effect of the motion would be on the judge.

So I write to ask you to consider comitting to this action as, if or when it would become necessary. We all would prefer that local authorities would provide proper legal action and any funds spent would go toward the horses and not litigation. If we do not see that the horses are not taken away from Trembly by Friday of this week or Monday of next I want to be able to file this action. Merely allowing Trembly tokeep the horses on better pasture is not the solution. He does not have the physica or financial where with all to keep animals as his proerty. I need your commitment by Thursday of this week.

Please contact me with your full name, address, county of your residence, and telephone number. Nothing would be filed with your name on it until you have had a chance to review and approve it. My contact information is Victoria Thompson, 3 Live Oak Trail Cypress Texas 77429, [email protected], 281-970-7191 FAX 281-970-7193 Cell 832-526-0481. Please or email all questions that come to mind. Please feel free to forward this other interested Kansas citizens and organization. Thank-you.
I've copied this from the locked topic on the main forum page. Don't know how many of you have seen it. I've copied it to the 5 Kansas Craiglist sites. If any of you are residents of Kansas, or know residents of Kansas, please send it to them and ask for their help.

If Mr Trembly has feed on the property then what if someone went out and fed it in several spots so all could eat. He would then be forced to go buy more feed. It would, remove the work part from this person. However, it would help the horses and then if he didn't provide more feed then we could move forward. He would most likely insist someone stole the feed (yeh, it was the horses).

FMC Minis - I went to that site and didn't find anything that said they have authority over county law enforcement. Where is it???

Wade - My insurance companiy requires initial vet reports (before the policy is issued) then yearly owner reports certifying shots, care, etc., at time of policy renewal.

Two TV stations were evidently there yesterday. Has anyone heard or seen anything about any newscasts?

Please get a few things correct.

No. 1 this is an isolated case and most Kansans like most from all otherr states or countries are not cruel to their animals.

I would say that all states have a county or similar governing body that has the type of law enforcement that Bourbon county has. Most juristrictions have good government.

I would venture to say that if this happened in another state that you would get the same results from their offical email contacts or addresses.

It is very dissapointing that more media has not picked up on this especially the national news. I watch the Kansas City news nightly and you see murder, rape, murder, rape, missing person, bad crash, murder, rape, etc. They have covered animal abuse, but it is usually closer to KC. Uniontown may not even be in their viewing area. You can't blame that on Kansas news agencys as all but one station are in Missouri even the Ft. Scott viewing area have one station in Pittsburg, Ks but the other is from Joplin, Mo.

I happen to live in Miami county and am very familar with the Hackney pony rescue that happened back in 1998. Yes it was as bad or worse than the Uniontown minis. It also was an owner that lived in the city probably 35 miles from his farm. The law enforcement did their job in this case. The man had/has money and he loved his horses and he still is running around. Ironically when we were short on hay late last winter and inquired at our local Coop as to might have hay a customer gave my wife his business card. When we left I looked at it and it was Neuman Sturme (SP). That's the creep that had the Hackney's.

Anyway please remember that the large majority of Kansans are good people like you and they are working to help these little equines.

Please get some of your facts right as mis-stating them may not help in your correspondence.

Uniontown not Unionville.

Ft. Scott doe not have a tv station. KOAM is out of Pittsburg, KS. (not Pittsburgh)

I have seen post for the Johnson county EPA. Johnson county is a KC metro area county 100 miles away

Topeka is the state capital but it is also about 100 miles away. The state offices are their but their county government is a long ways away.

Kansas State University with the vet college, would be refered at KSU, K-State.

Please try to get some of these places spelled correctly as it could be important in you correspondence.

Thanks,

Mike

I sooo totally don't want to see any of them perish. BUT, do not provide care for them, feeding etc... The better condition they get; the available feed/water; and any other form of improvement that could be from concerned people is only going to help him keep them.

They must be seen by someone without a 2 sided face, in the condition they are in... in order for anything to move in the right direction to getting them the help.

Several (runamuk...and others) have said this better. But it is imperitive that a proper view of their situation is the best way for us to get progress for the horses.

It is not easy to sit back and watch an animal die. But if only a few perish for the rest of the herd, it is better than losing this whole case and having to leave ALL of them there to perish.

I learned being with the Ambulance service. "Better a limb then a life" If someone is compromised in loosing their life, that is your main concern as opposed to them loosing an arm. Same goes for this. The main goal needs accomplished otherwise this is going to be a big tear in everyone's lives to have jeapordized our goal.
default_yes.gif
:

FMC Minis - I went to that site and didn't find anything that said they have authority over county law enforcement. Where is it???

Wade - My insurance companiy requires initial vet reports (before the policy is issued) then yearly owner reports certifying shots, care, etc., at time of policy renewal.

Two TV stations were evidently there yesterday. Has anyone heard or seen anything about any newscasts?
I was told this by another person. I will call my local SO and check.

Will post when know something more concrete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back