75 - 125 Kansas Minis "OMG Please help by WRITING!!"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ginny gave you a good update. I have been in contact with a bunch of folks today. I appreciate everyone's help. Remember that Jess had posted that the horses had been given some hay and water. With the uproar the sheriff has had to deal with and the intense focus of us, the media and so far 2 vets I cannot imagine that they are without at least hay and water right now. That is not the present problem. The present problem is that they need more than hay and water. They need a more intense and more permanent solution.

Ideally the local law enforcment, ie the sheriff in this case, would have filed charges and taken the horses when apprised of the breach of the law. The problem arose when the sheriff failed to respond with a legal action and instead has tried to handle it privately. Going over the ahead of the law enforcement agent designated to enforce the statute is not an easy proposition when most of the voices are from out of state and out of the country. It is not that the wonderful mini lovers in Kansas have not tried as well but it is easy for the sheriff to ignore folks from other parts of the state.

We are finding ways around the issue that will result in no one in our groups going to jail and without making Vern look like a picked on good ol boy. The charges presented today to the county attorney (referred to as the DA) weren't accepted, however, the representative of the licensed organization to go to file the charges was pulled back by her powers that be and did not go. The courageous folks who did go did not fit within the definition under Kansas law of who could file charges. The county attorney's office then referred the complaint back to the law enforcement officer who is charged with that duty: the sheriff.

We now have a coordinated effort with another Kansas licensed rescue group who are going to have their board members gather their evidence and go back to the county attorney, hopefully tomorrow. They are also authorized under the statute in an equal level with the local law enforcement to bring charges and to seize the horses. The problem is that if they take the horses and charges do not follow they could be sued for the return ofthe horses and we are in a worse position than before. (there would be a court order recorded giving the horses to Trembly.) The best way is to go the route of filing charges first and then seizing the horses.

If that fails and it could - then we are faced with filing our own civil action as a mandatory injunction to allow an independent vet exam, to restrict the movement of the horses, and to allow seizure of the horses for rehabilitation during the pendency of any charges to permanently take the horses and goats from the owner. We have courageous individuals and dedicated organizations all from Kansas stepping up to place their names on the motion for injunctive relief if we need to file it. I know I have missed many Kansas activist mini lovers who will want to be included on the motion as movants. Please email me with your full name, address, county of residence, telephone and email.

We are making progress on veterinary assistance from KSU. We cannot confirm that the sheriff ever made an appointment for a KSU vet to see the horses on Thursday. I imagine him standing in front of the socker bopper midway game at a carnival just hitting inquiries with what they want to hear as soon as their heads pop up and not really getting anything done. It would be great if he did have that arranged it would get him closer to filing charges but who knows.

We have heard that the horses were moved to other pastures, but do not have confirmation of that. They can't hide the horses because a judge will order the sheriff and Trembly to disclose where they are so that is not an issue. I share Ginny's fear that they will die from the sudden diet change. Many of us have rehabbed starving horses and know what intensive and careful management ot takes to get them back to full pasture and full feed. It is out of our hands at this moment and we can only pray that someone who has some wit about them is looking out for them.

It's not over until Trembly no longer has any animals in his care.

We need to keep the energy level and attention up all the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
You give me hope!

e name='Dorrie & Frank' date='Oct 9 2007, 10:28 PM' post='896413']

It's not over until Trembly no longer has any animals in his care.We need to keep the energy level and attention up all the way.

I personally want to thank those that have come forward there to help and are spending hours on the phone, computer and anything else they can do to help these little guys.

MARTY***, I have posted the info here a couple of times but I am sure it's buried. There are 158 horses registered in Vern's name, or under the names of Vern and Mary Trembly with AMHA on the new stud book online. Two are listed from 1977 as the oldest. I do not show ANY have been registered since 2000 and there were five registered that year. NO horses ever registered in his name, if the stud book is working correctly, have been reported as deceased- ever. According to it, all 158 are still alive and well. Yeah right.

There are 13 listed under AMHR of varying ages from 1977 to 1999. Nothing registered after.

He cant afford to feed them OR register them.

There are no horses registered to Mr. Coleman.

**Silverdollar, ha, pick me up on your way by!!

Thanks HG< I just had this wild idea that maybe Coleman owned some of them too

Hey Kansas folks you need to be proud of the grass roots efforts you have mounted to overcome a difficult situation. There are plenty of spaces available for rehab of the animals all around Kansas and just across the borders. That says alot!

The thing about subliminal messages is that sometimes, many times, I type things on the computer to send messages out to Michael in Heaven.

Marty, tried to IM you a couple of times today but it told me that your IM folder blew up, LOL

I think it was regarding the 'subliminal messages'.

Also, the posts on craigslist has finally reached all the way to California in Fresno, but some of them have been flagged and deleted now!!!!!

Craigslist is an online 'classified ads' type thing where you can give away stuff, etc... you will find anything and everything on it, and has one in pretty much every major city in every state.

Heres a link to the main page. Then you can pick a city and then look for something you need....

http://www.craigslist.org/about/cities.html

Click on one of the cities and take a look at the menu that comes up.....

Heres a link to the main page. Then you can pick a city and then look for something you need....

Thanks HG but it's not working good for me. It doesn't have convoy listed. :lol:

I've been putting up the postings over here in Fresno, and encouraging others to cross post.

IDEA. Find a major metropolitan area near you and POST THERE. Big city people like animals, right? Let's get a posting in Dallas and New York City and San Francisco et al every day until these Minis are safe!

When, Marty??

Okay, just got this off another board, from the lady who has in-laws in the area. It's nothing much, but serves as a warning to anyone that might be going out to the property to see the horses. Please be very careful, particularly if you go alone:

My MIL called me and al she found out is that the guy is a nutjob who feels he needs to have 10 horses. Supposedly, in the past he has chased the Humane Society off of his property with a shotgun.
I have to think that "10" is a type & she meant to say "100". Maybe the sheriff is afraid of him? :new_shocked:

Remember, you need a fast car to run decoy....

Thank You everyone for understanding that this should NOT be a reflection of Kansas. I did take it personally, but should have realized that things are said out of frustration and anger at feeling so helpless. I can understand, as I am just as angry and frustrated as everyone else.

Fences have been mended privately.
default_wink.png
:

Danielle

US Senator Sam Brownback

US Senator Pat Roberts

State Senator (didn't write first name) Barone - House and Senate are not in session, but he does have a business email address.

Sent messages to all of them. No response. Hope you have better luck!!
Ironically, Sen Brownback was in Uniontown this past Monday because of some water darn project.
default_frusty.gif
: Not sure of all the details, hubby was trying to read it to me while I was writing more letters last night.

Keep in mind the 'shotgun' story is not anything that is verified and sometimes, especially in a small town, things get blown out of porportion and turn into Paul Bunyan or Pecos Bill stories. But for those heading that way, do be careful anyway.

MaryKansas I'm so glad fences have been mended. You're putting so much of yourself in this we certainly don't need to lose you. Who else would be our eyes and ears for local Kansas media coverage?
default_wink.png
:

I haven't seen any comments on the Dory&Franks message in the llocked thread. Have you seen it? I'm in the process of posting it on all the Kansas Craiglists (huh, never even heard of Craiglist until yesterday....now I'm posting to it).

I am sorry I dont have time to read what may have been posted from last night to this morning, I am at work, but I wanted to let you all know that one of my co-worker's was watching a New York channel last night, she thinks "watertown" and it made the news there, it was on :bgrin

I never saw/heard anything on the news last night :ugh: Has anyone seen/hard any broadcasts this morning?

Thanks Danielle

I MAY BE GOING TO UNIONTOWN TOMORROW.I WILL WAIT TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS TODAY.HAVE A NOTHER KANSAN GOING ALSO SO I WILL NOT BE ALONE.

Unfortunately if he is going to move/hide horses, if the sheriff is going to laugh in our faces then I think you have the change tactics.

I think someone has to strike a deal with Trembly to help pay for vet care, help him manage the herd long term, clean up the property etc.

This seems to be gone nowhere. Normally the sheriff start cooperating quickly in these things after the firestorm of emails and calls. I don't think this guy will ever cooperate. I think he and the prosecutor are probably life long friends and I think they are having fund laughing over beer about the "animal wackos" they are playing with....Without him you have little. He seems to not care on iota about pressure.

It would have been simple to have another vet called in but they have not done even the simplest thing.

If you care about the animals start helping them directly where they are. Maybe long term you can do more.

If not Trembly is going to move the worst ones....then they will let some people inspect the property and declare all ok, go away outsiders...

What does it matter how these animals get help or where at this point. I have seen farms and situations like this cleaned up quickly and then a more long term plan put in place.

Trembly is a classic hoarder, just a senile old man who will go more and more down hill, spend less and less time on the horses. It is a clear case of neglect, but this is truly an unhelpful sheriff. How does this man pay for food for 100 horses? On the news report he even said "i don't know how I can pay for vet car"

Get the animals help on site, get volunteers to make things right, spend the money on vet stuff, monitor and help long term. If not he will move animals that will suffer much worse than this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back