2 Questions.... Nutrition help?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minihorsecwgrl

Reaction score
Hi all!

I have some questions!

QUESTION 1: I have a mare that gets stressed over little things. For example: When herd members leave for a show ( even just for a few hours) and when she leaves for a show. She will go start laying down and get up and down for a while, will act fine and then start it up again. She also lifts her top lip (Flehmen response type thing). Most of the time she will also go off her feed for a day but will eat grass. i had the vet out the first two times she did it and they didn't find anything wrong, with some banamine she was fine. There is no biting at her belly or kicking. she will walk and trot and do whatever in these episodes also. Is there something I can add to her feed to relax her? She is usually laid back, so i don't need something to really calm her, just her nerves. i hope i just made sense lol!

QUESTION 2: I have another mare that will be starting to show this coming show season. She has Shetland bloodlines but is tiny, probably about 34 inches. She is 3 years old and the sweetest thing! She needs muscle which i am working on but i also want to add some fat in her diet, help her fill out alittle. she is super athletic and every time i look outside she is just running around! What have you guys had the best luck with with young horses? rice bran, oils, etc.?

thank y'all!

For question #1, sounds like the mare is prone to ulcers, so try one of the ulcer prevention supplements, perhaps during the whole show season, if that's when it's the worst, year round wouldn't hurt, but during the times when it's the worst I'd keep her on an ulcer prevention supplement. I had good luck with U-Gard pellets for my sensitive mare; but there are many brands available today.

For Question #2 - more information please. Exactly, what does she currently eat? brands? Amounts? How many times per day is she fed? Where is she thin? Topline (spine and hips)? Or, ribs? Where she is thin will affect what is recommended for her.

For Question #1: I have had amazing results from putting my horses on magnesium oxide. It is very inexpensive and has helped EVERY horse I have put on it. Its very inexpensive, I think I pay $40 for a 50lb bag and that lasts me FOREVER (my big horses get 1/2 tablespoon morning and night so 1 tbsp total a day). Magnesium is definitely the most neglected mineral in all horse supplements and feeds. Some horses don't show signs but usually horses that do show signs like your mare which in turn makes them prone to ulcers (magnesium helps with those as well). I love the stuff and it has worked miracles on horses who were unmanageable with stress before and now are calm and take things in stride!

For question #2: I would need more info like what chandab said above, what is she currently eating? Is she being worked? How is she thin?

I suggest a PREbiotic for your stressed mare. I had a horse like this and after a few weeks on the prebiotic he never did that laying diwn thing again. I left him on it though.

Oops! sorry for not including that info! she is on about 3 cups of legends performance pelleted a day! She is getting regular grass hay which she gets about 2 flakes daily. I don't give her any supplements either. she is really just skinny on the top-line and booty :)Thanks!

Oops! sorry for not including that info! she is on about 3 cups of legends performance pelleted a day! She is getting regular grass hay which she gets about 2 flakes daily. I don't give her any supplements either. she is really just skinny on the top-line and booty :)Thanks!
Skinny on topline is usually a protein issue, she needs more (along with exercise to utilize the protein). What's the protein level in the Legends feed? Your grass hay may be low in protein, so might take a bit of alfalfa to boost her protein (alfalfa is a good source of protein, any form will work; hay, pellets, cubes).

Not familiar with the feed but it says 12% protien. I was trying to find a guidline to how much to feed but didn't see any.

I would first find out how much on weight to give and I would also give alfalfa and beet pulp.

Latest posts

Back