Youth Gelding Mentoring Program from IAMHA

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

kaykay

Not sure that youth around here would have recieved this email.

Press Release

IAMHA Announces "Gelding Mentoring Program"

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Today from its offices in Santa Fe, Texas the IAMHA has announced its "Gelding Mentoring Program", this program will take applications from youth ages 8 - 15 to request participation in the program before award of up to 10 American Miniature Horse Geldings to the selected youths.

The youth will be required to provide care, housing and training of the gelding for a period of two years and exhibit it at local, regional and national shows in return for the gelding being transferred into the youth's name at the successful conclusion of the two year program. The program is open to all youth who desire an opportunity to own and exhibit an American Miniature Horse and is not restricted to youth that currently own and exhibit American Miniature Horses.

Application forms and the detailed information about this program can be found at the IAMHA web site www.iamha.net or by calling the home office of IAMHA at 409 316 2045. We encourage and challenge all other associations involved with American Miniature Horses to develop a similar program to help broaden the mini experience.

IAMHA is committed to improving

the American Miniature Horse experience!!!

The above is a shortened version of the attached document. Please go to the web address below for more information.

http://iamha.net/gelding.html

I just read this in my email and thought it was a little unusual. Has a program like his ever been done before?

i have never seen one done on this scale. But I do worry that the requirement that the horse show in one national show will leave a lot of kids out. It is soooooo exspensive to show at a national show! I am happy for anything though that promotes kids and geldings.

I would sign up to such a programme in a heartbeat for all but one thing.

I would be glad to give free lease, and even help with costs but I would not be happy to give the horse away unless I chose to- even if the terms were met.

I have met, (I am sorry to put this so bluntly) children that would meet all the terms but to whom I would not be happy giving the horse.

After all, it is a pretty cheap way of getting a top class horse!!!

I think this needs a bit more thought, but the idea is absolutely GREAT!!!

The end decision though, should remain with the owner of the horse.

well i agree and disagree rabbit. it costs a ton of money to show a horse!! So really even if you get the horse free its not cheap by any means. So the child and their parents that do this will have a lot of money invested in showing the horse. Especially with the national show requirement. I dont know about the costs where you live but I only took one horse last year and it costs me a huge amount.

Thast really really neat. Except the fact you MUST show in one national show. Im sure their might be a oppurtunity in the next 2 years but not 100% sure.

I would think that before getting into this program the youth and parents would talk in depth about it and know for sure (or as sure as you can be at any given time) that showing at the national level would be possible. I also think that this group will do all the necessary interviews to make sure the parents are part of the entire project. Its not like any kid could say I want a horse and will show it everywhere and poof, they get one. I would say alot of discussion will take place before the horses are placed.

All of that said, what a great way to promote geldings yet again.

What a great way to promote geldings and to involve youth. Yes showing Nationally is very expensive but.. in the past couple of years the quality of those geldings even in the youth classes at Nationals is exceptional and it is getting very hard to compete (which is how it should be a nice gelding should be very marketable)

I think this is a wonderful way for kids willing to put in the time and effort and money to get a nice horse to show and learn with.

Seems like a win win for all.

It is an Awesome program! Im saving to go watch nationals I would just be scared something might happen that you may not be able to show the gelding at Nationals
default_wub.png
: But i understant the reasoning . Is there photos of these handsome boys?
default_wub.png
:

I just got this email this morning..

I am not sure I understand it.

So, at the end of the 2 years, is the horse returned to the original owner, or does the youth get to keep him if they are sucessful?

Transfer the ownership of the gelding to the child after successful completion of terms of the program. If terms of the program are not met, the lease expires and the gelding reverts to the ownership of the mentoring farm. Provide advice, expertise and training of the child at the farm facility or place of mentor’s choice.

I have three beautiful, colorful colts that I would happily free lease to a deserving youth or amateur in the same manner.

I think it is a great idea.

I wonder, though, what happens if the youth fails to keep their side of the bargain.

I also wonder what the IAMHA seminar entails, and the cost of it. Seems like there is opportunity for personal agendas with IAMHA, considering the things I have read on the website, and the mission of the organization.

Also I wonder why the cutoff at age 15? Gosh there are plenty youth just a little older that are super showmen.

I must be missing the fine print.
default_wacko.png
: What are your concerns?

The way I am reading it if they provide care and show they keep the horse and IMO only even if it is a 2 year "feed lease" for the use of a very competitive gelding to learn and to show with along wtih someone giving you tips on training and feeding and fitting well.. that alone could be priceless

Thanks Lisa, thats what I thought too..

I think it is a good idea. I will be bringing it up with my parents too.

Hmm.. I was reading it again, and I noticed it said "attend" but never have to show.. Is this right maybe?
default_wacko.png
:

Attend at least one IAMHA seminar and/or an AMHA and/or AMHR National Show during each year of the 2 years.

Agreed Mary Lou .. There are many breeders that will offer free lease on a gelding. I know this firts hand. But I mean if they were *giving* you this show gelding yes but noway I could EVER let it go after 2 years of daily loving training and bonding. That is someting no youth is going to want to go through and turns me off. I prefer the nice essay idea for AMHR I dislike that the youth has to be at Nationals to win the horse for AMHR though.. :no: Even if you had a way for that girl to come home. Jeesh I need some serious money to go to Nationals :bgrin tehe . Bottom Line I would like to save up and get a gelding that I won't give away under pressure.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back