Your First Book of 2013?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kendra

Reaction score
I'm reading The Shadow of the Wind, on the recommendation of this forum! Got a good start on it, and certainly enjoying it so far, thanks to whomever it was who made the initially suggestion!

I reading a YA fantasy book called 'Mira, Mirror'. It's an unusual twist on a famous fairy tale. I started it on Friday, but my husband has been home for the past three days. I can never read much when he's off because it seems like we plan a hundred different things. I hope the book of the month gets here quickly, or I might have to start one of my new zombie novels ('eaters' or 'Dead Tropics') next.

I'm reading Lethal Outlook by Victoria Laurie. It's the most recent of her psychic detective books and I'm about 2/3 through it.

I am re-reading Shadow of the Wind
default_smile.png
So glad you are liking it, Kendra!

I'm currently rereading One Door Away From Heaven, by Dean Koontz. I first read it so long ago, it's like reading it for the first time, except I do remember alot of it.

I enjoy the Dick Francis books, too. May be time to pick up another one.

I am re reading Quo Vadis by Henryk Seinkiewicz. I hadn't thought about it being the first book of the new year.

I got sidetracked from the tome I was reading by a new book which arrived in the mail: "Plastic Buttons: How to identify them using all six senses". For a button collector, this is book-candy! We've ordered a fine soldering tip so I can experiment on purge buttons. I'm hoping my left-brained husband will join me in this chemistry experiment. The button is touched with the hot tip and different plastics react according to their chemical make-up. In theory, this will help me identify the type of plastic buttons I have. (Plastic is defined as anything from celluloid to bakelite to lucite to resin.) Hurrah for being sidetracked!

That's really neat about the buttons. Is button collecting like coin collecting? Is there a market for it, or is it more of a hobby? I know if coins get tampered with, it decreases their value. Is the same true for buttons?

That's really neat about the buttons. Is button collecting like coin collecting? Is there a market for it, or is it more of a hobby? I know if coins get tampered with, it decreases their value. Is the same true for buttons?
Well, right now eBay has over 8,000 button auctions going. So, yes there is a market! Next time you go to the library, look to see what button books they have. You'll be amazed! I never look at costumes the same any more.

With so many buttons out there, I didn't know if there were rare collectable ones or not. My mom used to have a box full of buttons and I loved looking through it every time she got her sewing kit down. She had a pearl button in there that was almost abalone looking. That one and a big copper button that had a picture on it were my favorite ones. How do you know what button to get to match ones you already have or that you want?

With so many buttons out there, I didn't know if there were rare collectable ones or not. My mom used to have a box full of buttons and I loved looking through it every time she got her sewing kit down. She had a pearl button in there that was almost abalone looking. That one and a big copper button that had a picture on it were my favorite ones. How do you know what button to get to match ones you already have or that you want?
If you go to the library, check out a couple of button books. I'm not sure what the dewey numbers on them are, but ask the librarian. You will be amazed at the beautiful buttons. Collectors usually only care to have one of a button. Needlework artisans may like sets.

Not too exciting, I'm reading a book about Miniature Donkey care; got a miniature donkey this fall, so thought it might be helpful to sort through the differences between donks and horses.

I can't remember exactly which book I was reading in the New Year, but here is the list of what I've read so far this month.
default_smile.png
I'm feeling a bit ADD with my Kindle, adds another way to read so I'm now reading 2 on my Kindle, 1 regular book, as well as the 2 audiobooks I have going.

1. Fishbowl by Sarah Mlynowski -This one was funny, but not as good as some of her others. Young Adult fiction

2. The Penderwicks on Gardam Street by Jeanne Birdsall (kindle from library) -Love this family, it's a juvenile fiction book, 2nd or 3rd in the series.

3. The Selection by Kiera Cass (audiobook) -Really liked this one, but didn't realize it was a series, left you hanging. Young Adult Fiction

4. The Cart Before the Corpse by Carolyn McSperron (kindle)

5. Maisie Dobbs An Incomplete Revenge by Jacqueline Windspear (audiobook) - Really love these mysteries for the historical fiction aspect of them as well as the main characters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kim, I think you and I have alot in common with our reading choices. The Selection is on my wishlist. I had no idea that it is a series, thanks for the heads up. I actually updated my amazon wishlist yesterday (took more then six hours) so that I could add all the sequels etc. I must have missed this one. When I was all finished, I had some 60+ more books on my list. Yikes!

I am re-reading Shadow of the Wind
default_smile.png
So glad you are liking it, Kendra!
So ... I started Shadow of The Wind, and while objectively it was a good book, it wasn't really grabbing me. I even put it down to read The Cart Before The Corpse, when it arrived. Night before last, when I went to bed, it was early so I picked up Shadow of the Wind, thinking I'd better read at least a chapter or I'd never finish it at the rate I was going. Next thing I knew it was 11 o'clock, so I told myself just one more chapter and I had to go to sleep. I finished the book at 2 in the morning, and stumbled through work yesterday on 4 hours of sleep. So yeah, apparently it got good! Going to deliver it to a friend of mine tomorrow - she's laid up with a bad back, I'm sure she needs a good book to keep her busy!

It is definitely a slow start! Still one of my favorites-such an intricate story and I love the author's writing style.

Shadow of the Wind, thanks to you all. Saw it on here a couple of nights ago, previewed it on my iPad and jumped right into it. Good book. Not the first of the year though, that was actually The Ice Limit by Preston & Child. My reading tastes are all over the map lol.

Jan

Latest posts

Back