Your Drive Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mindy, I always long for your roads! The well traveled roads around my place are zoned 55 miles an hour, but cars are going 65 and there are ditches on both sides. I drive all around my property unless I trailer somewhere. Just recently the people across the road said I could drive on their 10 acres too which will be nice.

We have been setting up cones courses and timing each other which is fun. I think the next addition will be a mailbox on a post that you have to stop and get something out of.

Mindy, I always long for your roads! The well traveled roads around my place are zoned 55 miles an hour, but cars are going 65 and there are ditches on both sides. I drive all around my property unless I trailer somewhere. Just recently the people across the road said I could drive on their 10 acres too which will be nice.

We have been setting up cones courses and timing each other which is fun. I think the next addition will be a mailbox on a post that you have to stop and get something out of.
I do my driving out on the roads. Sometimes I think those of you with restricted areas are better off. The work with cones and obstacles is so good; I can't get motivated to do much of that because I don't have to. But, we do stop for the mail frequently on our way in and out of the property.

Thanks for the encouragement Marsha. I really needed it today! Annie is in heat and oh so crabby!!! I have had all geldings and only one mare before her who was very sweet and not marish at all, so this is my first experience with the intense mood swings. I have had her on raspberry leaves daily with her supplement, which is what Mare Magic is but it doesn't appear to be giving her any relief.

I printed up the letters for dressage and laminated them last year. Thinking of setting up a dressage course too, and downloading the various tests just to practice. I went to a Muffy Seaton clinic and she admonished all the CDE people for complaining that dressage is boring, because cones and the marathon are so much more fun. She said everything you do in dressage is the basis for all the other driving that you do. I was practicing the things Mindy suggested from clinic she attended and the backing and stopping with the cones exercise was really good as Annie had been backing but not precise at the halt on rein backs. Before that I was having her back up and putting the tire in a hoola hoop but the other is much better as we were working on straightness too.
When ever I am traveling in a car looking out the window or when I go camping, I always think ooohhh that would be such a good place to drive!

@Willow Flats I do the same thing... look for lovely roads to drive on. Yesterday I even pulled off the road and went walking for a little bit to find a good mountain trail I can take the bike on :D

I'm so glad you are having success with the exercises I shared! I am getting ready to set up a place for Zorro and I to play around with them myself. I just mowed a larger arena area in my field so I can haul my barrels and cones out there. It's a nice way to mix up our driving. I also have a mowed path in my field that we drive on the days I don't feel like putting down the miles on the road. Three times around my track equals 1 mile, so we can still track our mileage!

It's so fun to see what other are doing. I find it very inspiring!

Mares! I have had them run the gamut from reasonable to unbearable when in heat. Poor things. Regumate helps if you get to the point that you (or they) can't stand it one more minute. I swore I would never use it but surrendered in a hurry with my POA. Hang in there, hopefully Annie's hormones will settle down as Summer nears and her heat won't be so strong.

I used to love the dressage part when I was taking lessons. I had no interest in marathon part at all. I think that is why my instructor lost interest in helping me, she loved the marathon and cones. If they had shows with just dressage I would be there!

Mares! I have had them run the gamut from reasonable to unbearable when in heat. Poor things. Regumate helps if you get to the point that you (or they) can't stand it one more minute. I swore I would never use it but surrendered in a hurry with my POA. Hang in there, hopefully Annie's hormones will settle down as Summer nears and her heat won't be so strong.

I used to love the dressage part when I was taking lessons. I had no interest in marathon part at all. I think that is why my instructor lost interest in helping me, she loved the marathon and cones. If they had shows with just dressage I would be there!
Cayuse, I am seriously considering the Regumate! Not just the bad attitude but the incessant calling out to the neighboring horses. My gelding is giving her a wide berth, poor guy.

Here at least for the HDT's you can sign up for only one event and just do dressage if you want.

Mindy,
Thank you for posting that information! It is hard to describe driving techniques sometimes in words, but I'd love to hear more about what everyone is doing and has learned so I can keep improving.
I'm trying to work on sitting up straight. I saw a video by Coachmans Delight on this and I think you also talked about the effects of posture while driving for the horse and balance of your cart. And another thing I am focusing on is using my core muscles, because I notice when I do that my back doesn't hurt.

Cayuse, I am seriously considering the Regumate! Not just the bad attitude but the incessant calling out to the neighboring horses. My gelding is giving her a wide berth, poor guy.

Here at least for the HDT's you can sign up for only one event and just do dressage if you want.

Mindy,
Thank you for posting that information! It is hard to describe driving techniques sometimes in words, but I'd love to hear more about what everyone is doing and has learned so I can keep improving.
I'm trying to work on sitting up straight. I saw a video by Coachmans Delight on this and I think you also talked about the effects of posture while driving for the horse and balance of your cart. And another thing I am focusing on is using my core muscles, because I notice when I do that my back doesn't hurt.
I agree, posture is important for cart balance and fatigue. I am actually less tired after driving Midnight, when I have to stay alert and keep focused on hands and body, than when driving my rocking-chair Dapper Dan.

Marsha, It's nice to have that seasoned horse when you want to relax though! I think Annie will eventually be that horse for me. She has become so light in the mouth. I jot down on my calendar when I drive her and we are up to 47 drives. My goal is to have 100 drives on her by the end of summer.

I ground drove Kriss Kross today after giving him some time off. Basically a mental break. I have only been taking him for a walk here and there. He was fearful of the new bridge on the lead line and I had encouraged him over it the other day, so I didn't push it today. He freaked out when I ground drove him into a wide open pasture and jigged all the way back to the barn, so I ground drove him around and around a smaller area near his comfort zone and gradually worked our way out of that area and around our shop and back and eventually a little ways down our gravel road. He is the sweetest boy, but gets so anxious. I need to start ground driving him regularly. You heard it here. Now hold me to it!!!!

It was a beautiful day for a loooong walk. We did 5 miles but there was so much UPHILL! And yes there was uphill going both directions! LOL!

IMG_2179.jpg
IMG_2162 2.jpg
We came across this GIANT moose print. So glad we didn't come across the moose that made it!

Anyone in the market for another driving mini. I'm way overwhelmed with 7 minis and a new baby!!!

Mindy that's a big moose!!! I have come across tracks AND the moose that made them when snowshoeing. Talk about a "back away slowly" moment.

Cayuse I need to pick your brain about the dressage stuff. It completely baffles me and I don't have anyone very close by to take lessons from. I'm trying to figure it out and "hot mess" is what best describes us.

MajorClem I don't think you are a hot mess! I don't know a lot about dressage. Some of what I know carried over from when I was riding and took dressage lessons. I pretty much stunk as a rider (timid), but I liked the challenge and goals of dressage. It gave me focus.
What mini are you selling? Seven is a barnful. Glad you got them home for summer though so you can use them.

Mindy, that is a humungous moose track. I ran across a moose on my way home from work one night, it was running down the side of the road. I thought it was a horse as it was near several horse farms. I followed it about 1/4 mile, slowing as it slowed, wondering what the heck I was going to do with this giant loose horse in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night. Finally it stopped. I stopped behind it. Then it turned around and headed straight at me :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O and more :eek::eek:. It wasn't a horse. And it wasn't happy. Thankfully, reverse gear worked.

I am working up Wally (Walnut who was previously Peanut) to sell. He's young and very willing just needs work. He's a sweetheart.
I would like to get down to 4 and sell 3 but even selling 2 would be great. BlueJeans is a rock solid driver and may be the other one to go....It's so hard... I just can't work them all and I have Perry who just turned 2 and needs worked more often to get him moving in harness.

MC I sent you three messages with two!different titles to answer your questions, I am having technical issues so posting here to make sure you know I tried!to! Answer. Gremlins o_O or something are loose tonight.

Walnut is a wonderful name. He came from the auction last Fall?
How is Candace?

MC Let me know if!you got my messages OK? Not sure if my pm is working. Thanks!
And green is good!

I am working up Wally (Walnut who was previously Peanut) to sell. He's young and very willing just needs work. He's a sweetheart.
I would like to get down to 4 and sell 3 but even selling 2 would be great. BlueJeans is a rock solid driver and may be the other one to go....It's so hard... I just can't work them all and I have Perry who just turned 2 and needs worked more often to get him moving in harness.

Took Midnight out today. She has been calling for all the neighbor horses lately. Must be a spring mare thing? I didn't know what she would be like driving.
We went 2.72 miles, almost 3 miles, in 35 minutes. I made her walk some, but even her walk is fast. We did some different obstacles today, changing the route a little.
She came down to a walk when I asked, whoaed, but her stand was not great. We really need to work more on some poles as she is not as flexible as I would like; I need to get some of my own poles to work with. My neighbor had taken hers down, so we didn't get to play on those. Maybe I can stick a pvc pipe in the top of my little cones? At least that would be a good visual for me.
This month she's been driving for only 6 months, so she is really doing a good job, all things considered.

If I didn't have Midnight, I would want Blue Jean. Is your son okay with giving him up?

He loves him BUT he has more interest in his 4H horse and riding than he does in driving. I would be picky about the home for Blue so you would have been the perfect place for him. I'm happy that Midnight is working out so well for you though. Heaven knows you had a bumpy road finding her.

Drove Midnight with my neighbor and Tyreon. It was breezy, but cool so the horses were feisty. We passed cows and Midnight hardly noticed them. (Yay!) Neighbor and I discussed how we show tenseness. I have to uncurl my toes and sometimes unclench my teeth. She said her shoulders get tight and her forehead tenses. I noticed today that when we are passing something that Midnight is unsure of and she hesitates to walk forward, that my hips are tense as though I am pushing her forward. I wonder on a riding horse if that would communicate to the horse? Seems as though it would.
Did a lot of walking (and talking). Midnight enjoys going with Tyreon.
Neighbor had just picked up another miniature. She went to a kill pen site. Sure wish she had told me she was serious about getting another miniature as I could have helped her find a good one. The mare she got appears to have some eye problems and is completely wild. She dragged my neighbor across the arena, skinning up her leg badly (the neighbor's leg). Also the blood test showed positive for in foal. I went to look at the mare a few days ago and she is very antisocial. People assume those animals are abused, but I think some of them are just born crazy. Guess I will not be visiting any kill pen sites!!

That is too bad about her "rescue" mini. I wont buy from kill sites because they can go buy two more with the money you pay for one. I want to save them all but I hate enabling kill buyers and they rarely tell the truth about the horses OR they know nothing.

I have a whole slew of minis and would have been happy to sell her a good one ;)

Hooray for Midnight ignoring cows! You're doing amazing work with her and she seems to be turning into such a great little cart horse for you.

I need to pay attention to communicating stress and tension to my horses both in riding and driving. I curl my toes too and lean forward as if to push them onward. It makes my riding horse stressed and I'm sure it transfers down the lines to my driving horses too.

I had to delouse my entire mini herd today. They came back with a nasty infestation. I'll bathe and shave them in a week then dust them again a few days after that. Poor itchy ponies. Dad just thought it was spring itchy. May have dusted them a little heavy since my container should have done 14 horses and I did 7 with it.... But they are still in their winter wooly coats so it was hard to get it to the skin. Plus, after they shook off a huge white dust cloud poofed off them and I'm guessing that was at least half of what I put on. Not to mention when they rolled they left dusty whitish spots in the dirt....

Last edited:
I agree about the kill pen plot. The last one she got a couple of years ago gave her whole herd strangles.
If I had known she was serious about getting another miniature--some people say "ooh, I'd love to have another" and don't mean it, I would have helped her find a good one.
I've never dealt with lice. At least it is something you can get rid of. I guess that is one reason I'm ready to clip in the spring, to see what is under that long fur. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back