Your Drive Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered one of the Spookless CD's to try out because Annie has been really reactive to noises. I've been playing it while she eats, slowly increasing the volume and it has been amazing to see the progression of her getting used to all the different sounds. Today when we were driving someone started firing a gun and she barely flinched and did not break gait!

Dapper Dan and I had a nice drive today. A utility crew was working on the power lines so we passed several big trucks parked on both sides of the roaddd driving   4-20.jpg (all with motors running). The only problem was a long-dead porcupine that something had drug into the middle of the road. He refused to go past it, so I had to get out and ground drive him around it. On the way home, he barely glanced at it. We visited with horsey neighbors for a few minutes. We drove 2.6 miles. Mostly walking.

Last edited:
Wow, Willow Flats, I don’t know if I’ve seen a picture of Annie before! She’s gorgeous! Love her blaze!

Marsha, love DD with his snazzy fresh hairdo! Lovely picture!

So Coady and I have spent all of 2020 rebuilding our relationship after the accident last year. I couldn’t help him relax in harness when I was scared of him being scared about things. He’s pulled a cart out at the boarding barn twice since the accident and he did great, but at the house...he’s afraid of going down the driveway. Not that I blame him, but there’s no room at our house to drive as we live on a hill, so if we’re going to drive at home we have to go down the driveway to drive at the little park that’s just down from my house. His understandable fear of going down the driveway after the accident combined with his collapsing trachea had brought me to the decision to retire him from driving. Being home from work for a few weeks has allowed me to spend more time with him and he’s made it pretty clear that he doesn’t consider going for walks to be ‘real’ work. He wants his job back.

I decided to give him a shot at ground driving since he’s been acting quite bored and I was very impressed with how he did. We’ve got some issues to work through of course but all in all he was great. I was so proud of my brave little guy :)

Our relationship is strong and we are confident in each other, so I think we’re ok when it comes to confidence. We’ll keep working on it. The biggest issue is his breathing. He’s on a magnesium supplement which helps take his edge off (I swear the horse is ADHD...) and it also has helped him drop some weight along with a strict diet. Losing weight combined with some MSM added to his diet has helped to get it a bit more under control. Any improvement is good. Once things calm down with the corona chaos I’m going to trailer him to a vet that’s about an hour from here. They have imaging equipment that far surpasses what our local vet has. They said that depending on what they find there may be medicine that can help his breathing even more. He didn’t have many issues with his breathing when he was pulling the hyperbike, so I’m going to get the lightest easy entry type cart that I can find for him. He and Eve are similar in size, so I should be able to get a cart that would fit them both.

At them moment I can’t work with her as the boarding barn is under tight restrictions and I barely have time to visit my riding horse that is boarded there. Plus, she is HUGE...she wouldn’t even fit between the shafts of the cart I currently have. I’m 95% sure that she’s going to have a baby mule this spring. Depending on how things go with Coady I may pursue purchasing her after the baby is weaned. Who knows. I’m going to do my best at balancing what harness work his otherwise healthy body can handle with the job that his mind needs. To be honest I’ll be happy with whatever we can do, even if it’s just the occasional drive at a walk. I’m so happy to be working with my boy in harness again! :D

For some reason I NEVER receive updates when people post here! I have them all turned on. It's a conundrum...

I'm so happy to see all the happy ponies, green grass and blue sky! We have been COLD, windy, cloudy, snowy and miserable for the entire month of March and the beginning of April. The wind makes it so cold.

I have been spending a lot of time with my ponies but no driving, so can't track my hours here. But it's time well spent and is only making our foundation stronger. Yesterday the two ponies and myself had a very nice afternoon out walking and being together. I trimmed both of their feet as well. Sometimes it's nice to just spend time with them :)

I hope to get Zorro back on the long lines this week! I am also going to take my lawn mower out and make one of my arenas larger. I'm hoping to make an area that is all dirt this year as well for some more intense hand work where I do not want the temptation of grass at all. Usually if I am focusing on softening in the poll with movement the grass is fine because it will encourage him to lower his head, but if we are standing and doing relaxation and tension release the grass is just a distraction for him. And it allows him to NOT focus on the things going on in his body, which he loves to ignore!

Great job you all getting out and getting some driving in!!!

For some reason I NEVER receive updates when people post here! I have them all turned on. It's a conundrum...

I'm so happy to see all the happy ponies, green grass and blue sky! We have been COLD, windy, cloudy, snowy and miserable for the entire month of March and the beginning of April. The wind makes it so cold.

I have been spending a lot of time with my ponies but no driving, so can't track my hours here. But it's time well spent and is only making our foundation stronger. Yesterday the two ponies and myself had a very nice afternoon out walking and being together. I trimmed both of their feet as well. Sometimes it's nice to just spend time with them :)

I hope to get Zorro back on the long lines this week! I am also going to take my lawn mower out and make one of my arenas larger. I'm hoping to make an area that is all dirt this year as well for some more intense hand work where I do not want the temptation of grass at all. Usually if I am focusing on softening in the poll with movement the grass is fine because it will encourage him to lower his head, but if we are standing and doing relaxation and tension release the grass is just a distraction for him. And it allows him to NOT focus on the things going on in his body, which he loves to ignore!

Great job you all getting out and getting some driving in!!!

If it's any consolation, I get a beautiful blue sky driving day one day, and the next the wind gusts up to 40 miles an hour, followed by 2 days straight of rain which has left muddy trails for me on my driving track. It takes a couple of days to dry enough to drive.
Spring weather here is always all over the map.
You are right though about using that time to connect with our horses and do other kinds of training.
A friend gave me a ball she never used and we have had some fun with that and getting used to umbrellas and other scary things.20200319_121646.jpg

Midnight driving April.jpg Midnight and I had a wonderful drive today with Tyreon (aka Buckly) and his new owner. We went about 4 miles through beautiful country with wild flowers. Weather was ideal. Wind came up briefly, but it was probably a good thing as both horses are quite hairy. Mostly gravel road and I was pleased when we got home that there was only one teeny rock on the Equine Fusion boots. But she does pick her feet up nicely, so I'm sure that helped. We ended up by going around the poles at her house. We did mostly walking and there were a couple of steepish hills, so that was good.

Last edited:
The ponies and I had a beautiful walk yesterday. Today it is supposed to get up to 60 degrees so it's Pony Spa Day here! Since we will be getting snow again this weekend with lows in the teens I won't clip them yet, but I'm crossing my fingers that it will continue to steadily warm up and I can at least trace clip them next week! They get so sweaty and the hair in their arm pits gets all tangled and matted.

No driving yet. Just working on relationship stuff with Sky and relaxation with Zorro. Those things are going wonderfully!

The ponies and I had a beautiful walk yesterday. Today it is supposed to get up to 60 degrees so it's Pony Spa Day here! Since we will be getting snow again this weekend with lows in the teens I won't clip them yet, but I'm crossing my fingers that it will continue to steadily warm up and I can at least trace clip them next week! They get so sweaty and the hair in their arm pits gets all tangled and matted.

No driving yet. Just working on relationship stuff with Sky and relaxation with Zorro. Those things are going wonderfully!

I guess your snow is the cold weather we are supposed to expect. Lows could be in the 30's. I think Dapper Dan's coat has grown out enough by now, but I've ordered a new blanket just in case.

Hi to everbody! How are you in this crazy times? I hope you're all okay and healthy! We still are. Due to the lockdown and the fact I have to work in home office, I have more time to enjoy with my minis. I drove a lot in the past few weeks. We don't have a really strict exit lock in Switzerland, we still are allowed to go outside in the woods. I'm very grateful for that. There are regions in Europe where people are not allowed to visit their horses anymore nor took them outside. Very strange.
I hope this will be over soon!

We too can go outside and hike in the mountains here in Montana. I know some of the more populated areas have closed their public lands which I think is such a shame :( How are people supposed to keep it together emotionally if they can't go outside?

We are having lots of late spring snow and cold temps. Lots of wind. It's too cold to do much as far as relaxation and tension release as we are all shivering too much. So I am leaving the minis to enjoy their hay and shelter and I am staying inside much of the time, except when the sun is shining! Then I am outside walking.

I hope everyone else is doing well!

We can get out for walks here but boarding stables are shut down so people can't ride or visit their horses.

I have not been able to even ground drive my minis because of the ongoing septic saga. Last week was the final straw when the filled my smaller paddock with 3 huge dump truck loads of gravel and sand. They started with one truck full dumped smack dab in the center and then a few days later filled it with two more. I can't even get out the gate to the big paddock as their is a load blocking it.
The state inspector gave the final approval on Monday to finish it and told my husband that everyone with well/septic issue can't get the work finished because all of the wet weather we had all winter. Of course it rained yesterday so they couldn't work to finish up and get rid of the loads of stuff in the paddock. I'm really getting discouraged:(.
So when you guys go for a drive, think of me and I will be riding with you across the miles :).

We can get out for walks here but boarding stables are shut down so people can't ride or visit their horses.

I have not been able to even ground drive my minis because of the ongoing septic saga. Last week was the final straw when the filled my smaller paddock with 3 huge dump truck loads of gravel and sand. They started with one truck full dumped smack dab in the center and then a few days later filled it with two more. I can't even get out the gate to the big paddock as their is a load blocking it.
The state inspector gave the final approval on Monday to finish it and told my husband that everyone with well/septic issue can't get the work finished because all of the wet weather we had all winter. Of course it rained yesterday so they couldn't work to finish up and get rid of the loads of stuff in the paddock. I'm really getting discouraged:(.
So when you guys go for a drive, think of me and I will be riding with you across the miles :).
Cayuse, I am so sorry to hear this, when I thought you were done with that project. How frustrating!
Brighter days are ahead for you. Hang in there!

Well, as I type this the guys are here with backhoes and tractors and are busily pushing around mounds of dirt.
I went out to the barn early this morning to let Peanut out and discovered the tractors, bales of straw, geotextile and assorted stuff piled up in the remaining paddock space but no guys to be seen anywhere. I almost had a fit, thinking that they had dropped it off and would be back next week and there was NO ROOM for Peanut (or anyone else). They showed up about 10 minutes later :). Hopefully they will be finished today! :)

I think I mentioned on another post that we built a driving bridge and Annie drove right over it the first time, so we had a lot of fun taking turns driving her over the bridge earlier this week.

My husband thought we better put some kind of stain on it to preserve the wood, so he sprayed it with some Linseed oil he had in his shop that he uses when he builds decks.

Today I went out to drive, and asked my husband to take the reins so I could get a picture of Annie going over the bridge and when she got her front feet on it she was slipping all over & couldn't get any traction. Awk! It surprised us as it seemed dry. She didn't freak out and she was scrambling, going down and trying her best to go forward. He backed her off. Was scary and glad she didn't get hurt! She is such a champ, dealing with us morons.

We are going to take the belt sander out there and rough it up.
20200415_162605.jpg

Nice bridge! If the sander does not work there is some stuff at Home Depot that is awesome. It comes on a roll like wallpaper and one side is embedded with tiny rough pebbly stuff and the other side is sticky. You peel the bottom off and place it where ever you need traction. I have it on my cement floor in my garage because it is treacherous when wet. It sticks to most everything, too.

And my septic is DONE!
The pony's paddock is back to usable and all three had a great run yesterday. Flying Horses! Happy Horses!

Nice bridge! If the sander does not work there is some stuff at Home Depot that is awesome. It comes on a roll like wallpaper and one side is embedded with tiny rough pebbly stuff and the other side is sticky. You peel the bottom off and place it where ever you need traction. I have it on my cement floor in my garage because it is treacherous when wet. It sticks to most everything, too.

And my septic is DONE!
The pony's paddock is back to usable and all three had a great run yesterday. Flying Horses! Happy Horses!
So glad your septic is done! Back to living large with your minis!

We sanded that finish off the bridge and I walked Annie over it and she slipped a little on one end where I think some of the sanding made it too smooth so my husband got out his planner and roughed it up. He is so over this bridge! :) It doesn't look that big in the picture, but it is 21 feet long. It is bolted together and can be taken apart in 3 pieces if we ever want to move it with the tractor. I drove her over it several times today after it was planed and she did fine. I think we are going to get the saftey deck paint with the grit in it, since we need to preserve it in some way. And we do have a roll of that product you mentioned left over from a job if we need it.

Latest posts

Back