Your Drive Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for sharing all those pics! So harness addiction comes with the territory then? I've got two, one I bought new and the other from the same maker that I got very gently used. I got my comfy fit breast collar ordered but it won't ship until late next week or early the following week because I got it with the patent finish. The saddle and blinkers on my current driving harness have patent so I thought it would look nice. I wanted to get a whole comfy fit but I think I'm going to have to build it a piece at a time. I'm going out to Illinois and Iowa in October and might pick up a synthetic spotted harness just because. I can see this harness thing quickly becoming a problem. And vehicles. I'm starting to collect those too.

I may need to pick your brain some day on 3 and 4 abreast. I'm just curious about the logistics of it more than anything. Right now I've just got the two minis and they are too different in size to be a team. But... maybe someday....

The company I get them from in OH makes that, too. I'll see if I have pics of a neighbor's harness that shows the spots on the breast collar. He loved them, I didn't - said he could have them...
Can I ask who it is that you get your harnesses from? The spotted one I saw that I like was from someplace in Kentucky, TwoHorse Harness or something like that. It was a nice basic beta pleasure harness.I may have to put getting a new harness on hold though. Captain had a bout of colic and with that came the vet bill. I am worried about him. He has been having the occasional "squirts" and today a sudden episode of gas colic. The vet said she has seen alot of horses with the same problem this summer. He is on biosponge and a probiotic.

On a more positive note, Peanut had a great lesson yesterday. I am getting used to using more contact and using the outside rein while turning. I tend to throw my reins to the wind.

Strangeaddiction, I will call Starlake again. She must be busy as I have not been able to get her. I ordered some rubber keepers and hopefully they will tide me over :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for sharing all those pics! ~~U R welcome. ~~ So harness addiction comes with the territory then? ~~Yes, for me it sorta does, but then again... Understand, I was working towards a 4 to 6 up hitch of matched ponies(Like BsharpRanch). I found out in a hurry that having a pony that is a different size and using one harness and constantly trying to do adjustments, sucks (think stronger language, tho). It takes a long time to make that many adjustments and I have one mare that is substantially larger than my others in build (Koalah - last measured at 485 # by tape/math & 43" tall vs the other two are 40" tall and about 400#). Plus, the youngsters I was starting, when yearlings and 2s just weren't the same sizes as they are now as mature ponies, but had to have harness sized for them. The braided harness works great, can be left out in weather (as long as ponies don't chew on it, LOL) and takes MUCH abuse. Not as easily adjustable as the firm straps of the bio/beta-thane harness's but... I got mini harness, too (less $$ for me) as I also had some that were mini sized (and could do a 4 up hitch right now using the mini sized harness if they were all trained, LOL - 2 silver black tobi mares and 1 silver black tobi gelding and a silver bay tobi gelding w/ lots of white. The mares are 4 yrs old now, the boys are 3 yrs old. I expected them all to be larger than they are, but all are about 38" now and on the slender side rather than bulky.). ~~ I've got two, one I bought new and the other from the same maker that I got very gently used. I got my comfy fit breast collar ordered but it won't ship until late next week or early the following week because I got it with the patent finish. The saddle and blinkers on my current driving harness have patent so I thought it would look nice. I wanted to get a whole comfy fit but I think I'm going to have to build it a piece at a time. I'm going out to Illinois and Iowa in October and might pick up a synthetic spotted harness just because. I can see this harness thing quickly becoming a problem. And vehicles. I'm starting to collect those too.

I may need to pick your brain some day on 3 and 4 abreast. I'm just curious about the logistics of it more than anything. Right now I've just got the two minis and they are too different in size to be a team. But... maybe someday.... ~~ Not a problem. A 3-abreast hitch of Shets can work the same as a pair of Hafflingers (so I've been told). I know that when our girls, who were 19 & 20, pulled that disk meant for full size Draft Horses, they were tired, even tho they were in coming into good shape. I have no doubt that if I'd had at least one more (3 abreast) and possibly 2 (4 abreast) that it would have been easier and they'd have actually worked much longer. I didn't have the harness then that I do now - so wouldn't have been able to do it at the time even tho I had the other ponies started, too. I actually have some equipment already that can be pulled by a pair but would be better with a 3 abreast hitch - just so no one gets so tired/sore. Then if have another 3 ready to step in - could continue "working".
This is actually our spring tooth harrow, but my girlfriend's BIL and hubby put it together and it's been at their place. They've used it a couple of times with the fore cart, not with the "cart" I purchased with it...

How nice of Google! I knew that Picasa was going "out" and google taking over the albums, but they did it w/o the normal photo extenstions so sharing them from my online photo albums no longer works. I don't have the pics on my laptop and I'm afraid to hook up my external hard drive right now w/ the storm going on. May get to hating Google!!

Well, I did have these pics...

I only purchased 1 width harrow (this pic shows 2 sections) and then the "Harrow Cart" that is shown in this pic -

harrow3.jpg

This pic shows 3 sections with the harrow cart and a 4 abreast team pulling it.

harrow2.jpg

I believe that we should be able to harrow with this with a pair and NO forecart (like with Vicki's ponies) but instead use the harrow cart I bought. But I'm "funny" about stability, and it's more than a little nerve racking to get onto that "cart" when it's all hooked up... Will do another post with another piece of equipment we have...

Maintenance album - If you go thru/down the pics, you will get to the harrow being used at Pampered Pets Pharm....; For now that is the best way for me to tell you to look at the photos of the harrow.

Then here, since I only have pics of the one event, are the pics of the Stalk Cutter. I want to get a 4 abreast neck yoke - to ease the weight over 4 necks instead of 2(?). I thing that might work? It's really heavy! 2014 NCWHMA

Right now, I'm mad that I can't share individual pics! GGGRRRRRR.

Cayuse -

I'm so sorry to hear about Captain! Hope he is now on the mend.

Really great on the lesson with Peanut.

The company in OH that I've worked with - refurbished not 1 but 2 carts, purchased 10 sets of work harness (total), purchased custom parts for a pleasure harness that I had only had part of, and 1 pleasure harness (in beta and bio thane) - is Fairview Country Sales. They don't have a website, but do have a catalog which they update every year. I didn't get one in 2016 and can't remember where I put the 2015 one - may have given it away. I'm not even sure they are open on Saturdays. They ARE open Mon - Fri and do have a phone in the shop that gets answered. I have had custom made parts in less than a week, mailed and in stock harness (complete set for pair w/ collars) w/i 48 hours. I've also ordered custom products and had them brought to NC with them when they have a Vendor stand at the Dixie Draft Horse Sale on the other side of our state 2x/yr(March & November) and I've gone up to their shop in OH in person several times as well.

Fairview Country Sales

Address: 3062 Co Rd 160, Millersburg, OH 44654

Phone: (330) 359-1501

I believe there are shops in PA & NY that have bio/beta thane harness that would be closer to you (not sure exactly where you are?). I will have to look up Names, phone #s and addresses and expect that they are similar to above since they would also be Amish shops.

Center Square Harness Shop - J. Samuels Esh, 717-656-3381, 246 Forest Hill Rd, Leola, PA 17540

Peach Lane Harness Shop, Abner Esh, (answering srvc - 717-687-5122), 88 Peach Lane, Ronks, PA 17572

I have purchased leather harness from Ozark Mtn Mini Tack (basic show) & Star Lake Mini Tack (beginner, basic). I've gotten other items from Mini Express.

I have purchased equipment from Pioneer Manufacturing (Dalton, OH) and from Carolina Carriage Company (don't know who makes it for them).

Thanks Paula, Capt. is doing better. Manure looks better every day. And he is back to spunky. Had another nice lesson with 'Nut the other day and an intersting solo drive the next night. He was fussy with his mouth so I fixed the bit (down too low) and that solved most of that issue. It was too low as I had last used it on Capt. and forgot to fix it.

Then something in the bushes startle him and he took two massive "spook strides" but completely halted when I asked "whoa" so that was good and showed he is sensible. I don't know what it is in the brush, we have deer and rabbits so probably one of those critters. We re-grouped and went on our way.

Since I have been working on maintaining contact, he is taking more contact and I feel like I have "more horse in my hands", can someone tell me if this is normal? My hubby said he looks like he is using his hindquaters more and is more collected. I don't want to end up with him getting himself "hot" or me making him that way.

Hope everyone else has been able to get out and go!

I took Rowdy out today. We went on a dirt road we had not done before. It is not passable after rain, so we haven't been able to use it this year. He did not like a new road. I had to get out twice and ground drive him. On the way home he did very well, though. He just needs more miles. And I need to do more structured lessons with him. That is just not my "thing" so it's hard to discipline myself to do it. One thing he is really good with is dogs and cars.

We've had a busy last few weeks with the minis!

We got Savannah (Pandora) driving with very little effort. The brains these guys have are incredible
default_smile.png

Took Sierra and Misty out on a trail ride. The both did awesome!

13912420_10206671053959312_5174856402348551954_n.jpg

20160810_125242.jpg

My friend and Pandora

13939420_10155951791312228_7474664518270186452_n.jpg

I took Rowdy out today. We went on a dirt road we had not done before. It is not passable after rain, so we haven't been able to use it this year. He did not like a new road. I had to get out twice and ground drive him. On the way home he did very well, though. He just needs more miles. And I need to do more structured lessons with him. That is just not my "thing" so it's hard to discipline myself to do it. One thing he is really good with is dogs and cars.
Ditto on more miles and structured lessons. Clem and I seem to be in that same boat. She's my first driving horse so I'm not well versed in "movement" such as getting them to collect, or bend, and those things. We just like to go out and cruise around. Most of the time we don't even do that as often as we should... busy, busy, busy
default_smile.png

We had our hands full yesterday with Sierra, Savannah, and Misty. We took "Sale Pictures" for Misty and while I'm not crazy about lots of trotting on asphalt, it helped show her movement. I can't believe how much she's changed.

Sierra was a ROCKSTAR. She would "ask" to trot on multiple occasions as we rode through the subdivision across my folks place. I had Savannah with me for exposure to the cart, who equally had a blast. Misty was on her best behavior as well.

Once we were done with Sierra & Misty we hooked Savannah up (Her 2nd time) and she was awesome. She was a bit more worried about the bit than anything else so we swapped the bit out and she was instantly better.

I've been bitten! ;)

Misty:

13987609_10155978831042228_5300957869297638669_o.jpg

14054329_10155978833072228_2807004206595991830_o.jpg
S

Savannah toting my friends daughter.

tn_DSC_0974.jpg

I don't readily have a picture of Sierra from my view, but super proud of her yesterday as well.

Love seeing everyone's pictures, I haven't been able to go out and drive at all really, my poor horse! We are still working on getting the house, so much is selling and so the auditors and underwriters are very busy. I hate being so far away and not getting out there but soon enough I will be 5 minutes away... For now I am living through everyone's stories and pictures so keep posting!

^ Oh no! Looks like you may be getting ill! You need a dose of Vitamin Miniatures!

I toyed around with Savannah and Sierra today. Savannah was AWESOME! Despite looking a bit drunk (super sensitive mouth) She blew me away. Didn't have to tap her once with the driving whip and even did a handful of trots! She's getting so much better about her mouth, such a reprieve.

Sierra toted my husband around (who is loving driving and didn't grow up with horses, got into them because of me) and then she took around a completely raw beginner who'd never driven before. She's just awesome!!

Hoping to get her out and about and out of the driveway routine. Sierra's far too bright that driving the well... driveway, is very boring to her.

tn_DSC_1086.jpg

tn_DSC_1090.jpg

tn_DSC_1114.jpg

tn_DSC_1108.jpg

So awesome! It's funny, I have taken my husband out with me a few times and have gotten him to drive. He says he likes driving more than riding because it doesn't make his butt hurt! I am sure if we had a nice place to drive outside he would like it more than being in an arena, but he still likes golfing more than horses.

Great to see everyone getting out and about! On the topic of husbands, mine is more into horses with me than going fishing with me so that helps. He's learned to harness and hitch Mikey all by himself and I think I'll get him driving soon, especially now that I have the new easy entry cart.

My comfy fit Deluxe Breast Collar is here!!
default_thumbup.gif
default_yes.gif
It showed up on Tuesday but I had to work on Wed and Thurs so I haven't tried it out...yet. I've also got a wicked cold but I'm heading down to the barn as soon as it warms up a couple of degrees (yup, fall is here). I'll post after and let you know how it went. I decided on the black leather lining and the patent finish since the saddle and blinkers both have patent already. Plus I think it looks nice for parades.

On the subject of husbands.... My hubby is very much into horses (grew up with them) BUT not so much the minis. He helps me if I ask but since he is 6'2" and 250 lbs he says he feels a bit silly (and kind of mean) making Clementine pull him around. He does drive our Fox Trotter and is looking forward to driving our Fjord team. Most of his horse fun is riding trails and hunting though. But it's nice that he enjoys equines as well so I don't have to try to justify my minis. Actually, when it's hay hauling season I don't get any grief because they eat sooooo much less than his draft cross
default_whistling.gif

Loved catching up on everyone's "goings ons" and seeing the new pics.

@Squeaks: If I had the means I'd be buying that Misty from you. What a great looking horse!

Squeaks, I enjoyed your pictures. Your bridle looks like it might be a Starlake harness one (it looks just like mine) Do you have one of their harnesses and if you do, do you like it? I love my bridle, which I got to replace one that came with a different harness.

Latest posts

Back