Your Drive Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fun to see the photos from the whip's view. I thought of it today AFTER we were on the road. I got rattled by the rattlesnake and forgot to take a camera. Rowdy did well today. Stood nicely for harnessing and was more animated than usual. More flexible, too. He is improving every time.

Squeaks, that looks like a lovely place to drive. I have never driven outside of our pasture but I hope to. We have orchards we can drive in after harvest, the owner is nice enough to keep his propery open for the few around who still have horses. I used to ride in them when I was a kid and "liberate" a few apples once in awhile. I LOVE the orange harness pads that you have.

Marsha, glad to hear that you got the snake. I would like to see a "rear veiw" of Rowdy. I can always picture everyone's drives better after I see what it would look like from between the horses ears. I hope Dapper Dan is doing ok today.

Thank you, very blessed to have a couple areas to choose from for driving... Which I'll have to start exploring as hunting season opens up. We barely got out of that place before the Hunter's started firing (First day of Dove) Thankfully they were all very polite, respectful, and friendly. Just was a little unsettling to just barely get out off the trails before the season started. Was my fault for not looking into it before we went!

You should definitely taken advantage of the orchard! Would love to see pictures!
default_smile.png
Thank you on the pads! They came with the harness/cart combo I purchased from a friend. Gotta get Coal longer shafts
default_sad.png
Anyone have site recommendations for Easy-Entry parts?

Took hubby to my folks for a cook out and hooked the mini's up for a short drive across the street. He's really enjoying himself with Sierra (who is a great babysitter!)

14232639_10156031858897228_90813654334022137_n.jpg

Oh! He also fixed the seat DIY style on my "breaking-in" cart
default_smile.png
Fenders are next!

14231286_10156031413647228_4123272802481203530_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Squeaks, I got my cart from a place called "Kingston" something or other in California and I think the sell easy-entry cart shafts of all sizes. If I can remeber the entire name of the place I will let you know but I think if you search "kingston" and carts it will pop up. They were very nice to deal with and shipped it fast.

Mikey and I spent all of yesterday at the fair (Monroe, last day of the Evergreen State Fair for those that are local) and participated in a fun show for minis and ponies. There were mostly minis with one or two Shetlands in attendance.

I took part in all the carriage classes. It was great practice for him to have to stand harnessed up with people and horses all around while we waited between classes. He finally relaxed, cocked a hip, and went to sleep. I was very proud of him!

We do need to work on different gaits. He's got a slow jog and a fast trot but doesn't really know the difference between them when I ask. A lot of that is me, so now we have goals for the winter. We did place second in the driving hazards class. My only trouble there was knowing where the wheels of my cart were as I wasn't able to get them to go through the poles lined up on the ground.

All in all, it was a fun day of meeting people and exercise for the boy. Hopefully he's ready now for our last CDE meet up this weekend!

Dalvers63, I wish someone would have told me about the fun show! A gal at my barn that usually trailers me to shows went and didn't say anything to me about it so when I found out I was really bummed.... Hope you all had fun though!

Dalvers63, I wish someone would have told me about the fun show! A gal at my barn that usually trailers me to shows went and didn't say anything to me about it so when I found out I was really bummed.... Hope you all had fun though!

Darn! Sorry to hear that, it would have been great to see you! They do this show every year so hopefully you can attend next Labor Day. I'll be sure to let you know about other fun shows I hear about.

The next one I know of (but don't have any solid info yet) is September 18th in Spanaway. It is a "purple" benefit show for a local person who recently passed away. I can always find out more info if you like. I haven't decided if I will be going yet as that is the day after I return from my annual tuna fishing trip.

Tomorrow we're off to a Back to Back driving trial. Two days of dressage, cones, and a mini marathon.

kingston saddlery.com free shipping i brlieve.
I have this same EE cart. There are much nicer ones around for more $$ but I have found my kingston cart to be a great cart that has held up well. They have a new shaft style since I got my cart, the shafts are curved on the ends and raise and lower from a pivot point on the cart. Very clever
default_smile.png

I'll check Kingston for the shafts, thank you!!

Hubby drove Sierra and I drove Coal today on a trail drive. Coal was less enthusiastic about running, but not so much about running away... I got out of the cart, reins in hand, to take a picture. I rested them for a only a literal moment before he decided "Hey, I hate standing. I'm leaving!" With a fairly freshly mended severe sprain I attempted to "chase" him on foot, but when he broke into a canter I just asked my other half to "Go get him." Mind you were were on 100+ acre Game Reserve... Nightmares flashed through my head about what could happen. He's pulling my cart, reins flopping, my truck keys in the camera bag on the cart... I was terrified he was going to just keep running and never look back or end up crippled from the cart getting toppled (Doesn't help I just watched that Arabian Driving Disaster). Hubby went in hot pursuit with my angel of a mare "Sierra." Found him probably a 1/4 mile away on the other side of the hill, eating grass. Apparently my reins looped the axle of the cart's wheel and "held" him back. Thank gosh he got to him.

I have NEVER lost a horse on a trail, ever. Leave it to Coal to change that luck. However, incredibly BLESSED we got him back in an uneventful and unharmed fashion!

Drove 4.69 miles in about 1hr30. We went generally pretty slow with a handful of canters here and there. I'll have to share the video once it is done. '

I've had one get away before, too. Got out to pick something up and the reins just slipped through my hands. DD took off and had quite an adventure. He finally got lodged between two boulders. I got him disentangled and the harness patched up and we drove home. We were both pretty shaken, but unhurt. A little damage to the harness and I had to order a new floor board from Jerald.

I'm always afraid of that happening because my grip is bad from the arthritis. I try to remember to keep an extra tight hold on my lead or lines and I worry alot about "loosing my grip."

I drove Cappy for the first time. Kept it short and in my small paddock. Hubby led him at first and then turned us loose. The next day he just walked beside us. Cappy was willing and seemed to accept it with no worry. I have a feeling he might be an old hand at driving, but I am still proceeding as if he is green.

I won't take him out of the paddock until next Spring. I just want to get a basic feel of him before winter gets here and I want him to trust me. He is SO much easier to hitch than Peanut. Peanut likes his drama, lol.

It crossed my mind a couple of times when I ride/drive alone. Hubby wants to get GPS tracking to go on the horses/carts for when this happens and we, heaven forbid, don't find them. It sucks to feel so helpless in that situation.

Great news on Cappy!! Sierra was old hand and it really makes driving pleasant when you have that one horse whose like "bring it on."

Going to try and drive Savannah today. Her new harness was set up for a wagon, thus the shafts float if she bulks into the cart and she does not like that one bit. Going to make a trip to the harness shop to get a replacement girth so I can actually kept the shafts stationary. She's a tolerant mare, but she gets on sensory overload with driving sometimes and I want it to be pleasant for her. Not an ongoing threat :p

Put this on my pick-up this morning. The decal wasn't mounted straight on the transfer sheet... Which I did not realize until AFTER I installed the begger. Oh well, worse case I'll just order another one.

drivingmini.jpg

I'm always afraid of that happening because my grip is bad from the arthritis. I try to remember to keep an extra tight hold on my lead or lines and I worry alot about "loosing my grip."

I drove Cappy for the first time. Kept it short and in my small paddock. Hubby led him at first and then turned us loose. The next day he just walked beside us. Cappy was willing and seemed to accept it with no worry. I have a feeling he might be an old hand at driving, but I am still proceeding as if he is green.

I won't take him out of the paddock until next Spring. I just want to get a basic feel of him before winter gets here and I want him to trust me. He is SO much easier to hitch than Peanut. Peanut likes his drama, lol.
My episode was 10 years ago when I was just getting started driving. I learned my lesson and always keep a firm hold on at least one rein if I exit the cart. Not the end of the rein, but closer to the bit so if the rein slides through my hand I have enough reflex time to grip. That's where I made my mistake before, just holding the end of the rein. If I have to turn him around in the cart to go back to pick up something, he turns or backs. I did have a friend get too close to the edge of a ditch; her EZ cart tipped her out onto the ground. She did turn loose of the reins and her startled horse trotted away, but didn't go far and stopped nicely.

That was my mistake. I had the tail of the reins and when he started to walk they slipped out so when I made a grab for his reins again I thought for a moment (that's all it takes) that I grabbed his harness so off he went. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one ;) Coal loves the trail and hasn't quite developed a bond with me (or anyone else for that matter)

I'm proud of myself for sticking to what I said I was planning to do. Got Savannah hooked up without an issue. She hasn't been driven in weeks. Her only issue is the bit (she only plays with it at this point), but she's gaining courage and becoming a nice 'lil mare in the cart. She's always got an ear on me and while we appear drunk driving "away" she listens and keeps on trucking
default_smile.png

DSC_1355.jpg

Took Rowdy out today. We took the 2 mile pavement route, as it rained and all the other roads are too muddy. Before I discovered barefoot farriers I used to have trouble with my horses slipping on the pavement. Now they never seem to have any trouble with traction on the pavement. A donkey at the Fair this past weekend could not even walk without slipping on the rough concrete to get to his pen. I didn't say anything to the owner as I know he is committed to his present farrier. I did suggest vet wrap if he had to walk him on anything smooth again.

The solid waste truck went by. He is always very considerate with his dinosaur vehicle, slowing and moving over on the narrow road. Rowdy did break into a fast trot as he went by, but handled it fine. A driver stopped us to chat and Rowdy stood nicely, without fidgeting. Did have a little trouble getting him to leave home base and his whinnying pasture mate.

I need to discipline myself to do cones and maneuvers besides just going out for a jaunt. I'm doing him no favors by neglecting that.

Marsha, do you seem to find Rowdy to be more flexible in his steering after doing the cones? Cappy is the same way. He is much better since his dental work, but a turn around the cones seems to put his mind and body into some sort of alignment pretty quickly. I think it relaxes him.

I ordered a harness. With "spots" :) Hopefully it is to be made to fit both.

My instructor disappeared on me so I am back to "do it yourself" which is a bummer as I was learning alot. But I hope to get to a clinic in October.

The AMRH Nationals have held me captivated all week. Fun to watch and pick out the one I'd bring home if I could.

That was my mistake. I had the tail of the reins and when he started to walk they slipped out so when I made a grab for his reins again I thought for a moment (that's all it takes) that I grabbed his harness so off he went. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one ;) Coal loves the trail and hasn't quite developed a bond with me (or anyone else for that matter)
I think if I had calmly asked him to whoa and calmly moved to pick up the reins, it would have been fine. But in a panic of "o no I dropped the reins!" I reacted in a way that set him off. I think I even grabbed the back of the cart when he took a step forward and tried to stop him. Big mistake. We were both pretty green in those days and neither of us did the right thing.

Hey, Cayuse! Harness Racing drivers use loops that buckle into their reins to help them hold on. That might be one option for gripping the reins. You can have reins made with grippy material, like rubber riding reins, also. A wonderful friend of mine gave me pair reins that are "laced" like hunter reins. I love them! When the horses are quick and start to pull on my hands the laces really help me hold them. You can rub beeswax on the hand part of the reins to make them stickier. It won't hurt them at all.

About dropping your reins: You can take a piece of leather lace or shoe string and make a loop through the buckle at the end of the reins for your pinky. You can buckle the reins around a part of the cart. This was recommended for pair drivers, buckling the reins around the driver's back rest so the groom or 'gator could reach them. Your reins have to be long enough though.

Many years ago a friend of mine was driving her large horse through a hay bale obstacle when the mare spooked and jumped over some bales dragging the carriage with her. My friend fell out and the mare took off. She was galloping around a large field and we were all scared that she would head for the road. The horse turned in a large circle that gradually became smaller and slower as she cantered around. Finally she stopped and we were able to see that the reins had wrapped around the axle!

Wow I've been out of it. What was that I was saying about having more time now that DS is back in school?

Sounds like everyone has been keeping busy. A few adventures as well. My theory is as long as you learn something from it it's a lesson rather than a mistake. I end up with lots of "lessons"....

All my horse time has been spent nursing a bad abscess on my riding horse...blew out his heel bulb...GAH!

On the subject of gripping the reins. Tammy Rose made me a set of reins with the grippy bumpy stuff and I love them. I have carpal tunnel in both wrists and my hands get cramped and go numb. I don't have to grip nearly as hard on these new reins and I feel very secure in my grip. Also, they buckle together on the ends.

I can't believe how quickly the fall is turning cold around here. One day it was too hot to drive in the afternoon and now you have to go out at the warmest part of the day to avoid wearing a jacket. But what I really miss is driving with someone.... with my dad gone until next fall the driving is a bit lonely. I am sincerely jealous of any of you that have people to drive with :}

Back