Your Drive Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@dalvers63: So I'm guessing on your Comfy Fit you went with the vinyl padding over the leather? I've been trying to decide. I like leather as a rule but the synthetics are so easy to care for. The only one that I have found that I really don't care for is the Brama Web. For halters and bridles it seems too stiff and rubs sometimes. The Beta and Bio seem to be nice and supple though.

Where are you getting your marathon cart from? For a single or team? I'm assuming for minis....

It always surprises me how small a world it really is. How funny that we both got our reins from Tammy at the same time. When I ordered mine she said she was cutting out a bunch and shipping them out at the same time. I'd love to see your purple ones if you get a chance to post a pic.

Here is a slightly blurry pic of the new lime green lines from Tammy. They are a little thicker than my leather lines but the black "grip" is easier to grip (go figure
default_thumbup.gif
) so I am able to relax my hands a little. I have arthritis in my thumb joints so I was worried the larger reins might be a problem but I find that the opposite is true.

20160801_133356.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like everyone is having fun!

I had a lesson with Peanut this past weekend and he was happy to work and we learned alot. I ground drove Captain today and saw a big improvement. He seems to be accepting the bit better. Still using the mullen mouth snaffle. We even did some trotting and he was steady.

Tommorrow he gets his teeth done.

I am searching for a new harness. The little kid in me wants a black "spotted" harness but I need something I can show with. So I guess I have to be practical.

@dalvers63: So I'm guessing on your Comfy Fit you went with the vinyl padding over the leather? I've been trying to decide. I like leather as a rule but the synthetics are so easy to care for. The only one that I have found that I really don't care for is the Brama Web. For halters and bridles it seems too stiff and rubs sometimes. The Beta and Bio seem to be nice and supple though.

Where are you getting your marathon cart from? For a single or team? I'm assuming for minis....

It always surprises me how small a world it really is. How funny that we both got our reins from Tammy at the same time. When I ordered mine she said she was cutting out a bunch and shipping them out at the same time. I'd love to see your purple ones if you get a chance to post a pic.
Yes, my whole harness is synthetic. I really like the brown lining, it contrasts nicely with pony and works well with my wood Meadowbrook style cart. Even the owner at my barn thought it was leather initially until he touched it. In the end he was pretty happy with using it while training.

My cart is coming from Frey Carriage Co. It will be here (fingers crossed) the day before I have to leave for the CDE so I may or may not be able to use it. The wood cart will work fine if needed so at least I have that going for me.

I'll get a picture of the reins tonight. They're in my truck waiting to go to the barn when I get off work.

Had a good drive last night though I could tell that Mikey was very interested in his dinner. Every time we went around the track he would keep turning his head towards the barn. I finally decided to not fight with him, did some circles and backing and then went in so he could finish dinner. I also talked to the barn manager, Emma, who gives dressage lessons and think I'm going to take some to help with my driving. I've done very little riding and haven't ever taken lessons on a well trained horse so it will be fun. Plus I get to ride a Friesain so that's a plus!

Tonight will be all about braiding. I'm sure Mr Mikey will be pleased

I am searching for a new harness. The little kid in me wants a black "spotted" harness but I need something I can show with. So I guess I have to be practical.
I know what you mean about the spots. I really wanted a spotted harness too. I feel like you need a full collar and stainless steel hames to go with it. I mean, if you are going to go fancy....

I really want to order a plume for Clementine. I've kinda gone with lime green with her (my riding horse too.... I have a lime problem). You can't find a lime plume and that might be a little obnoxious anyway so I'm thinking black and then buying some lime rooster feathers (used for tying fishing flies) and adding a few to the black plume. I'm a band geek from back in my high school days and our uniforms included plumes on our covers so I'm a sucker for a nice plume.

My son and I got up early and went for a nice 4.5 mile drive today. Clementine was being naughty while we were harnessing up so my son said he thought she needed to go 5 miles today. We got pretty darn close. The first bit of the drive was as expected. Clem looking for reasons to spook and working herself up. I made her stay in a nice easy trot so she didn't add speed to her apparent anxiety. After the first mile she started to settle in better. There was a lot of really big construction equipment out today and she hates scary loud tractors. One really big loud one she stopped dead in her tracks and wasn't for going anywhere. We let her stand for about a minute while she watched and listened then asked her to go and off she went. It was funny because you could tell she was very determined. Like she'd made up her mind it wasn't scary and she was going come heck or high water. She sped up a little as we passed because it got a LOT louder but she didn't spook or shy.

We drove through the cute, old, quite parts of town then up to my in-laws so my son could say hi. Then back home. She was really beautiful by the time we were headed back home. Nice easy trot when I asked and came down into a pretty walk when asked. Whoa on just a verbal cue. A very enjoyable ride for all of us I think. It was especially nice for me to have my 6 yo with me the whole time. We had fun talking and just hanging out together.

Your prob sick of pics of Clementine's butt. I wanted to show off my new lime reins in use. I love them!

20160802_101211.jpg

Those reins are nice, they look "grippy" and not slippery. I found a nice spotted harness yesterday that would look nice on Peanut but I will pass unless I win the lottery and can have two harnesses. I love the draft horse look. Especially the braided manes with the ribbons and the "rosettes" (at least that's what I think they are called).

Captain had his teeth float this morning and they were bad enough to cause bitting issues. It will be interesting to see how he is in the bridle in a few days. The worst side was the same side he shows a little resistance with. He was good for the procedure.

It's nice that you and your son could get out together this morning :)

Dalvers, which type of Frey cart did you get?

Have fun with your lessons! I miss riding but I find many of the habits I learned riding carry over to the driving. Both the good AND the bad, lol!

Dalvers, which type of Frey cart did you get?

Have fun with your lessons! I miss riding but I find many of the habits I learned riding carry over to the driving. Both the good AND the bad, lol!
I got the Rebel (in metallic purple no less). I added in the marathon shafts and wheels so I'm hoping that it will be a good vehicle for pretty much anything I want to do.

Last night I practiced braiding Mikey's mane. He thought he had it good until he had to stand in the cross ties for about 2 hrs. In the end we found that a nice running braid is going to work best. I tried to get pictures but he wasn't cooperating. I'll get some next week when we braid him for the show.

I did get a picture of my new reins to go with the purple cart. They're actually a bit darker color than what shows in the picture. I love the grippy ends, too!

Purple_reins-min.jpg

Your prob sick of pics of Clementine's butt. I wanted to show off my new lime reins in use. I love them!
I have lots of pics of pony butts!!

I got a pair of pair lines in purple last year but haven't used them, yet... Just a lot going on that has prevented me driving right now.

some one else took this pic -

12sep3igst597.jpg

Before getting in the cart -

13jan16ke145.jpg

1st drive! from the cart -

13jan16ke154.jpg

10aug17drvlsn17.jpg

13jan14becaz558.jpg

14jun20biko328.jpg

Lots of good memories. I love these kinds of pics.

Thank you guys for sharing your driving. It lets me experience it w/o actually driving at the moment...

and here's one of my spotted bio-thane "work" harness (draft style and yes, it's used for work, too). And since some are talking about braiding (different event, though), here they are braided up for the Spooktacular show in Glenrose, TX.

12oct27bebi939.jpg

12oct27bebi944.jpg

12oct27bebi942.jpg

and pics of the mini sized Betathane harness w/o spots. It also only has a two strap hip spider breeching instead of the 3 like above.

12sep3ig581H.jpg

12sep3ig589B.jpg

and a psuedo butt shot of Iggy working in a betathane mini harness...

13jul26tre525.jpg

Love, love, love all the pics! I had to run over to hubby with my computer and tell him "Look! Look!" when I saw your halloween braids. The jack-o-lanterns in their manes are fantastic. I'm a halloween nut job so you know I'm totally copying you on that this year! The while imitation is flattery thing
default_smile.png

How many different harnesses do you have? Boy would I love a tour of your tack room. Do you find minis hard to fit for collars? I'd really like a collar and heavier work harness for Clementine to drag fence posts and a feed cart on our new property. I was a little discouraged by a few people saying a good fitting mini collar is hard to come by. I just think, due to horse body mechanics, a collar really is the best option especially if pulling a heavy load.

Also, dalvers63, great reins. Tammy does a really nice job. Do yours buckle together on the ends? I'm glad I got the buckle on mine. Then I can just put them behind my back and I know, no matter what, I've got the reins secure. I've heard of too many accidents from the reins being dropped and the driver being unable to recover them. I used to always sit on the ends of my reins but this is so much easier.

Snagged these videos from Tuesday
default_smile.png
Misty is accepting the cart behind her after about a week of worth (over the span of two weeks). She went from fairly insecure and flighty, to, well... Video speaks for itself hehe.

Tucker (The paint) is the barn owner's mini. She was considering selling him, but after seeing how drive savvy he was... She may have changed her mind *chuckle*

Coal snuck in for a few clips... but wanted to share. Didn't get any pictures taken, just videos of my friend and her daughter driving.

Sierra is still enjoying herself and they always come running to the gate (no treat persuasion either! It's wonderful!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnK8FCwnkNs

Also, dalvers63, great reins. Tammy does a really nice job. Do yours buckle together on the ends? I'm glad I got the buckle on mine. Then I can just put them behind my back and I know, no matter what, I've got the reins secure. I've heard of too many accidents from the reins being dropped and the driver being unable to recover them. I used to always sit on the ends of my reins but this is so much easier.
Yep, they buckle on the ends. Since the only other reins I've had also had a buckle I had no idea that they were made without buckles. I was taught by my trainer to put the end of the reins (buckled) over my pinky finger so that you keep them off the ground and also have a hold of them no matter what happens.

Seeing all the great photos makes me wish I could have Mikey at my home. I have all kinds of work he could be doing! :)

Great video Squeaks! I need to get some video of Clementine up on here for some critique.

No driving for me today as I'm off to the vet with my riding horse. He's decided to grow [what I think are] sarcoids on the upper inside of both back legs. If it's not one thing with him it's another....

paintpnylvr, love the spotted bridle in the first picture! That is exactly what I want, only with a pleasure breast collar instead of a collared harness. Seeing spots makes me happy:)
The company I get them from in OH makes that, too. I'll see if I have pics of a neighbor's harness that shows the spots on the breast collar. He loved them, I didn't - said he could have them...

Major Clemantine - Flattery GOOD! I can handle that. Those were a dollar store find - after I was told I had to enter my ponies. I had gone to the show (taking the ponies/wagon/harness) to get advice from the mini draft experts I was told were there. For whatever reason, I didn't ever have any problems with hitching the girls to the bigger wagon, but the new one was an issue. Got help the one day with figuring it all out (thought it was gonna take forever!!) - was a problem with the quarter straps and then also with the length of the traces. Balance, balance, balance.

As to my tack room?? In previous barn, I had most of the harness hanging on 3 post, vertical saddle racks (have 3 of those). I currently have 10 sets of work harness. 4 sets mini (B size) in 2 strap spider, no spots, betathane w/ stainless steel hames; 4 sets small pony in biothane (shiny) with spots and 3 strap spiders; 2 sets medium pony betathane, 3 strap spider, no spots. Those are all made by the same company and purchased between Feb 2011 and March 2014. I have work collars sized from 9.5" to 16". The two that are under 10" are too small to use for anything. They were in a lot of equipment I purchased off of Craig's List and the person "lied"... stating that they "thought" the collars were 11" (that would have worked for me, I was SO EXCITED). Stuppeee me, nuff said. The two 16" collars were purchased in March 2015 - the last time I went to the Dixie Draft Horse sale in Troutman, NC. They came from the same company as the harness and most of the other collars, but were made by Coblentz collars. I will have to count my collars again - but think I have 8? Hmmm.... that can't be right. Definitely need to count them.

I have at least two sets of pair lines (should have 4 sets, but not sure that I do) - one in mini size and one in small pony size. I need to get more of those. The mini length is too short for most of what I do... I also have one set of 3 abreast lines and 1 set of 4 abreast lines. Gets interesting there, let me tell you! Found out I was having problems with the 4 abreast hitch because the lines were put together wrong at the company and I didn't kno to fix it... I took the 4 ponies up to OH w/ me after these shots taken and had them fixed and then returned home. I did get compliments on my training/handling of the ponies and they wanted to purchase the one (GG)...

13apr15drivFour249.jpg

13apr15drivFour225.jpg

Now have 3 beta/bio-thane pleasure harness's. One was parts got at a little horsey "yard sale". The company above made the other parts to go with it - so now have a complete harness. It's a mini size and is on the cremello mare in the butt shots before. Wouldn't fit her now, I don't think. The 2nd came from a private purchase (& I paid way too many $$ for it, didn't realize until too late, sigh)... It is also more of a mini size and doesn't fit most of our ponies. But currently have at least 4 that these two will fit now (they will need to be trained (2 - 2012 mares and 2 - 2013 geldings).

13aug15ami055va.jpg

Then I have a shaped breast collar one also made in OH. I got the buckle on lines, and buckles in other places as well.

13apr26flo607.jpg

I currently have a lot of the harness in clear &/or colored plastic tubs and hanging on the saddle racks in a stall in the "barn" we now have. After 18 months, it's still not really set up and right now, it's too hot to hang out there too long - when I'm off work. Part of the "pulling equipment" is in our shop and some is in the barn stall. All needs to have hangers hung up and be put up where we can easily get to them... - the single and double trees - both metal and wood, the 3 and 4 horse eveners and the 2 horse neck yokes (wood and metal).

12may15bbk116.jpg

Then I have bits and pieces of harness that I've gotten over the years. Some has been made, some has been given to me, most came as in-complete sets. I made two sets of the braided haystring pleasure harness and have a partial 3rd one made. The two mini surcingles will need to be replaced before I do much driving again... They are worn out.

behind Flower's head you see the main part of my "tack room" at the other place. That's the panels that surround my feed area. Behind her ears, not showing, are lead ropes. Then to the left behind her neck is lounge lines and misc driving lines, the helmet(s), lounge whips, xtra flag for a cart and misc straps. In front of that hanging white bucket, is a metal 4 loop bridle hanger with stuff on it (driving bridles and riding bridles) and looks like an english girth and some harness too (hanging over the top of the panel and draped over the hanger). On the floor on the inside of the panels are supplements in the kitty litter buckets (salt, mare plus). On the back wall is a white board w/ 4 plastic bridle hangers attached which I never really used. Had a hay bag of lids hanging and two collapsible buckets and??

14sep12fl621.jpg

This pic - 'Clipse is in about the same position as Flower is but my back is against the panels. Behind 'Clipse's head is the riding lawnmower and Cyclone Rake. To the left of the lawn mower is a row of saddle racks and tubs with all our harness. I'm looking for a pic that might show that - not sure I have any... Right after this pic taken, I moved a lot of stuff behind 'Clipse as I put over 100 small square bales of hay in there... Don't really remember exactly where the lawn mower and rake went - think they were "squished in" at an angle and we did some other maneuvering to get the ponies' feets trimmed.

14sep12cli618.jpg

This one is taken before I'd gotten all 3 of the saddle racks and tubs (didn't have any yet) - the day I'd gotten the first two harness's in 2011. So the harness racks will be lined up between the post on the far right of the photo going in a straight line back to the blue cabinet set up. Made about a 8x8' area to groom/harness ponies. Eventually, I'd used braided haystring ropes and snaps to hang all the single/double trees and the 3 & 4 horse eveners on that wall of boards above the white bucket to the far left... When I was doing really good - the fork equipment was not down like that but was up on their hangers of one sort or another instead of with the possibility of being underfoot...
default_smile.png
Nothing fancy at all!

11mar1be465.jpg

Found a couple more - this shows part of the stack of hay behind Cheri's head, along with the trailer (lawn mower type) and parts for the Cyclone Rake and along the wall by the main double doors is the long handled tools.

14oct10che9059.jpg

Different angle of the panels around feed area. The green and blue are jackets over the panels. The yellow/brown/white are feed bags opened up and laid over the bridles, headstalls and harness (pleasure) as some of our chickens are roosting in the big rafters 12' above this and I got tired of cleaning up the droppings off of them...

14oct10che058.jpg

Bah! I managed to loose a square metal bridle keeper that goes at the bit end of the cheek piece. Anyone know where I can get a replacement?

I asked on the general topic forum, too.

Bridle is from Starlake and I have called to see if she has replacements.

Back