Yeah! Jewel has foaled a 'fool day' filly 4.1.13

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She is not bleeding that I can tell but I also am maybe just worrying too much and I just have a tired horse. I get all nervous that she is bleeding internally or something like that. With goats.. it is usually a big baby or milk fever(hypocalcemia). I have no idea on horses.

It is very sensible to give the vet a call, it may just be that Jewel needs a bit of pain relief - that is a big foal - or, as you say, milk fever has to be watched for as it can be dangerous. A lot of mares do need to lay down to rest after foaling - it is an enormous effort for them - so lets hope she is just tired. But best to check and please let us know what the vets says. Dont forget to offer her a small mushy feed (providing that she is not showing colic signs), small feeds and grass to nibble at if possible will help to build her strength again and to adjust her system.

Congratulations on your FILLY!!

Lots of us nowadays give benamine for pain relief, as the baby nurses she will get contractions just like we do which can be very painful. Speak to your vet and ask them about it. If in doubt go with your instinct. Don't be afraid to insist on the vet coming if that will give you peace of mind.

What time is it there?

Awwww she has wings.
default_smile.png

Many congratulations on your beautiful 'surprise' filly, that's just what happened to me with the first mare I had in foal 3 years ago.

Vet came just now and examined placenta. Everything there looked good with complete afterbirth. Doesnt seem to be bleeding internally. She just seems to be in a lot of pain. He gave Banimine shot. Baby got a Tetnas shot. Sparkles started her set of shots as she could also be pregnant. Baby is doing well but mamma needs close watch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great news, she will soon perk up now she has received benamine. Well done for being so vigilant
default_smile.png

So glad all is well - a lot of mares need some pain relief after foaling. At least she was getting up to feed her daughter - a lot of babies learn to drink while Momma is lying down!

Get her nibbling on some food as soon as she is ready and she will be fine, bless her.

Does the filly have white on the other side of her little body, love the 'wing' pattern on her right side.
default_yes.gif

Ooops - just back tracked a page and saw all the other pictures - beautiful 'wings' both sides!!
default_thumbup.gif

She's such a pretty girl too.

Glad to read the vet was able to give Jewel some pain relief--hopefully that will help her recover. That is a big, beautiful filly!
default_wub.png
I'm a bit jealous that yours got the spots I was hoping for!
default_wink.png
Do let us know when Miss Jewel is back to herself again, and enjoy your new baby!

YEAH Jewel!!!
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
Congratulations, how adorable! I sure hope she gets to feeling good VERY soon!
default_pray.gif
default_please.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back