Yeah! Jewel has foaled a 'fool day' filly 4.1.13

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C0ngrads! and a spotted filly even. Awsome.

Things happen fast around here....when they finally happen. Been watching several threads and what do ya know? Sign back in and both have foaled. Us on the other hand...LOL

congrads. Glad for you and Jewel

Wonderful news! And what a most excellent surprise too! Your little filly is such a pretty little girl. Sorry to hear Jewel is in pain, I'm sure she will be feeling much better soon. Keep those pics coming!!!
default_wub.png

Here are some pictures from later today.. Filly is about 10 hours old.

Jewel is doing much better. The little foal has pooped numerous times. I think Jewel should be drinking more water.

We were able to clean up Jewels tail. I had just unwound it the night before she foaled. Poor Sparkles, Jewel won't let the baby come near the fence to see Sparkles but Jewel is fine with the dog peeking through the fence. I took Sparkles for a good jog today down the road. She just feels so left out.

Thank you everyone for all the encouragement we received toward this foaling time. You are all very much appreciated. You have helped us so very much.

FirstDay2.jpg

10 hours old..jpg

Firstday3.jpg

The filly is so beautiful! She has a sort of glow to her in the first photo. Do you have any name ideas? How is Jewel feeling now? Both look just wonderful
default_smile.png

So glad Jewel is feeling better. Love those recent pictures - that green grass is just perfect for Mom and baby, and the milk supply too!!

I had to have the vet out again this morning. Jewel had not been drinking or pooping much at all. She also hasnt eaten much. The vets have been wonderful. She ended up having a mineral oil drench tubed down and more pain reliever. The doctors have both said that this was a big filly for such a little mare and was probably crowding her gut for a long time and she probably will be fine now. I sure hope so. At least she is pooping some. the baby - I have seen quite a few big blobs.. now dark yellowish laying around. I just got to get Jewel drinking again.

I hope your Jewel feels well soon. So glad you don't hesitate to call thevet when you are concerned. I just love jewel and baby! Hoping for spots here as well

I hope Jewel starts feeling better. It sounds like you are doing a great job watching out for her. Not to scare you, but when I read your post it set off jingles about hyperlipemia--there is a post about it in the "best of" forum. If Jewel does not show improvement soon, you might get a blood test...
default_ohnoes.jpg
I worry too much though; I'm sure the experts will be able to provide better insight.

Keeping you and Jewel in my thoughts & prayers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aww bless her. Your vets are probably right, that is a very big filly and I expect Jewel had quite a struggle to deliver her. Have you been giving her small mushy feeds from the start - plenty of Dr Green and small mushy feeds will help get some water into her and help her system get going again. Because a mare clears out her system more or less completely during labour, she will not have much food coming through after foaling (think of her system as being 'dry' and empty!) which is why there will not be any droppings for quite a while (some mares go 24 hours) and why it is so important that a mare is given plenty of small mushy/wet feeds after foaling to lubricate and get everything working again.

Really hope that Jewel has got herself sorted now - well done you for calling your vets so promptly!
default_yes.gif

yes as Anna has said make sure you give her small wet feeds, grass as much as possible and if you close her in at night still wet her hay for about 15 minutes in a tub, poor the water away and then feed it to her. Make sure you throw away any uneaten wet hay in the morning and start again. Her system will be empty so not pooping much is normal for the first 12-24 hours.

Thanks for sharing more pics, she is adorable
default_smile.png

Oh good thanks everyone. I do know that she seemed to have cleared her system out before she foaled with cowpie type poops all over the place so I hadnt been too alarmed but then she just didnt want to drink any water. She seems to be doing so much better. She evidently has been used to vets and has some knowledge as to what they are up to. She ate quite a bit of her green grass today. But still no water.. so I finally decided.. ok.. that's it.. Im gonna have to talk some sense into her. I went and got a gallon bowel of fresh water and said.. "You drink this.. go on.. drink this water.. DRINK it.. go on.". She dug in the dirt.. swayed her head back and forth.. attempted to drink then refused.. So I said.. "Well if you dont drink this.. I will have to call the vet again and have the tube down your nose! (I poked her nose a bit when I said that) She then drank her water.. almost all of it. Can you reason with a horse.. I think so..as she knew I wanted her to drink that water and she feels much better. She has been pooping more now.

Our vet is 2 miles close.

I will read about hyperlipemia. When she first came to us in October, the vet did do some blood tests. I know she has been well cared for by previous owners. I will read this and probably be more worried. I know the vets are calling and following up on her well. I think she is doing better. She was running(trotting slowly) happily today with baby in grass pen.

And today.. a first! Jewel is a very protective mother. I have been working with her to not be so uptight. Today I petted jewels forehead and baby was curious and for the first time.. Jewel actually nudged baby towards me for me to pet her too. Oh.. that just brought tears to my eyes because I could tell Jewel was so happy to have me with her baby. Some of these mammas are quite different when a baby comes. This little jewel is a rather nervous horse and even took a time to warm up to us.

oh that is wonderful
default_smile.png
it means she feels safe around you. you deserve a
default_firstprize.gif

Ok.. thanks so much Diane. I will get a photo up.

As far as the Hyperlipemia. I must have read upon this a while back. Jewel did come to us with an overweight issue. I started slimming her down very slowly . Then when we realized she was pregnant, I was worried as goats get similar issues during pregnancy and rapid weight loss from being too heavy. For goats... it is Ketosis type issues.

I will talk to the vet. Jewel had colic issues upon arriving to us in October.. bad enough that the vet had several blood tests ran then. But.. consider that she had also spent the past 3 days riding in a horse trailer.. little water.. new food.. first time in new surroundings.. two different home to adjust to and so.. I suppose it would have given her colic. She also is a nervous horse while Sparkles seems to adjust easier to all things... even food.

I sure hope we don't have a hyperlipemia going on here. I had thot to give her some apple juice. As far as her having a large foal.. I think that might be because she was fed too well. I don't know.. I did try to not have her loose too much weight to fast in her pregnancy. Everything is a learning curve in rapid fashion for me.

Oh.. and she is wanting to eat but the vet said not to eat much. Well.. hmmm. So I waited until noon to feed her just like the vet had said.. she has been eating up slowly now. I will start her on the emolene 300 again tomorrow in small bits.. she is on soft alfalfa pellets and horse feed and grass and hay and I am giving small apple treats and some apple juice I will try in a few minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't blame yourself for a large foal as it has nothing to do with her eating well, if that was the case Anna's and my mares would have given birth to drafts
default_new_rofl.gif
I don't know if you get my drift but our mares tend to be a little tubby, right Anna??

Latest posts

Back