Won't Go Forward

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, this is helping me understand... No I dont use tie wraps on my harness either. I am attaching a photo, please forgive... we were still tweeking my harness during this photo session and I don't have all my adjustments where I want them, but if you blow it up, you can see how my tug is attached and has a buckle end showing but the part that buckles into the overgirth part the leather piece comes out of the bottom of the tug. In her harness, the buckle part comes down over the tug and buckles below. must just be style now that you all are explaining it helps alot. I was curious about the different design from the only harness I have. I wouldn't use the old tie down style either.

Love when folks include photos and I love the feedback on the harness questions. I study everything and am still learning. thanks!

016.JPG

We are all still learning shorthorsemom, or should be.
default_yes.gif
I have not seen an overgirth that has the actual buckle on the strap that comes up from below but the end result is the same. I do use a harness that employs wrap straps (one of my best made working harnesses) but the only time those straps have ever been used to hold the shafts hard and fast is when I went to a clinic and the clinician, while very knowledgeable, was from the breed show world and 'fixed' my harnessing mistake.
default_sad.png
My steadfast mare had a bucking fit that day, it was only later that I came to the conclusion that it was probably her way of objecting to that. She probably felt trapped and did not like pulling from her saddle.

Wow, what a thing i started. This is wonderful, I am learning sooo much . i will still take more pictures and yes i will get rid of those reins.

Yep Jennie, you started a great string. By the way, my hands are somewhat wrong in that photo. I tend to drop my right hand while holding the too heavy and too long whip and this lesson photo was still early on for me, I still consider myself a newbie and will be forever learning and strings like these I really enjoy.

I try to remember to keep tension on my left rein when I make a right turn and my trainer made me work with her being the horse instead of a real horse and I had to drive her around the pasture to fix my hands. It was funny but got the point across and didn't drive my boy crazy in the process. Photos are terrific for re examination of style and posture and hookup.

I havent driven lately, that is last summer photo. My neighbor started a shooting range and my boy is not steady enough for my green experience to be out driving when those explosions go off and I am a bit spread thin to keep my driving consistant. . When I do start back driving again, you can bet I will have my trainer here helping me get over the hump of "time off and no driving". I am planning to start back line driving soon though, I don't hook to my cart unless my trainer is here. I was really glad she was helping out when I forgot about my left rein, dropped contact on a right turn when my boy was acting silly and he threw in a buck and got his leg over the shaft. It turned out ok and taught me a great lesson in a controlled environment as to how what I do affects my boy. He is not bomb proof, but he tries hard..

take care and keep writing folks.

Last edited by a moderator:
shorthorsemom, have you considered setting up a rein board to practice rein handling while you are not driving. They are pretty simple to make and might help you feel the mistakes and train your hands between drives somewhat. If you drop contact the weight will let you know and you can practice fixing your hand in the correct position. I find it works best for me when I close my eyes (don't ask me why - just me maybe) and then let myself believe I an sitting in a cart (a stool or chair is my imitation) and driving thro a set of cones. I can feel what is needed to cue the turns while maintaining contact and feel when I don't accomplish that.

- and I agree, Jeannie, this is a very good thread. For me, I find it useful to think about the questions that come up, helps to clarify things I wasn't aware I was not entirely clear on.

Is there a picture of a "rein board"? In a few weeks, I am going to start ground driving Halo, but would love to practice at home, when I can't do it with her. Or is the rein board something that would be practiced after you add a cart to the situation?

My trainer talked about a rein board and I would love to see a photo of one. She suggested me using one but for the life of me I don't know how to make one. I tried tying my reins to the fence and that was just too funny cause the fence didn't give. Im such a nerd. haha.

Funny thing is that I do ok with cones with my hands and my guy loves cones, but he hates ring work and thats where we pretty often have our issues. My hand boo boos and he is very watchful for an excuse to keep me on my toes in the ring. You can tell by his face he doesnt enjoy it, but out on trails and with cones he lights up and loves it. He does give my trainer some trouble in the ring too, so it isn't just my hands and experience. He just doesn't enjoy it. I would skip ring work all together, but really need a place to warm up before heading into wide open spaces.

I could benefit from a more push button horse but I love my little boy. He has funny stumpy legs, is chubby and lacks decent conformation, but I love him to pieces even with his funny and often strange and sometimes crabby personality. He has character and I don't care how he is put together, he is my buddy.

thanks reignmaker. You all get me thinking about starting driving again. Its nice to talk about how much fun it was. for now my boy and i just take farm walks together.

I'm sure if you do a search you could find a picture of a rein board either on LB or on line but the simplest one I've seen is a board with 2 pulleys attached about a foot apart (somewhere about how the reins would be spaced coming back from your horse's bit). A rope is run thro the pulleys with a weight (I'm not sure of the exact weight but probably about 2 lbs - go with what feels right to you I can't recall the exact weight, perhaps someone else does) - of some kind on the board side of the pulleys (does that make sense?) the ropes are only about 3 ft long and they have a loop on my end where I fasten my set of reins in (honestly I use a pair of riding reins rather than my driving reins since I don't need to sit way way back. This board is then fastened to a fence board or a wall (indoors lets you play pretend when the weather is sucky lol)

shorthorsemom, I love that you are happy with your guy even with his imperfections
default_thumbup.gif
. We all dream of having a perfect horse but the imperfect ones teach us far more and personality counts for a lot in my book too. My favourite gelding is known to be a PITA because he's a thinker, steals things (gloves/hats/tools) and just generally looks for ways to add some interest to his life which is sometimes like the old Chinese curse "may you live in interesting times" LOL. In spite of his habit of often making more work for me I adore him. He is never dull and like you and your guy we are buds.

DCinpoledrag2051.jpg

If you look carefully you will see that the tug is actually a separate bit all on it's own and the strap that goes over the top allows the tug to adjust up and down- does that make sense? This is also a sliding backband- I would not use a fixed backband on a two wheel, except on a very, very level surface or in the show ring.

The reinboard should not have too much weight on the rein ends. you want to be light in your hands. i used one years ago. if you can't figure it out use a chairback in lthe house. you can just loop them over (without pulleys) and the whole idea is to see what your hands are doing and how it feels to your horse. sort of.

As for the shaft loops, i understand it now. both of my harness' have them.

Also, I tried a different harness on him and the tugs were a little longer and it seemed everything you were talking about started to line up. will get some pictures soon. having a little health issue right this minute.

Im really excited. i am getting a 4 wheel runabout next week. I am going crazy trying to figure whether to stain it or paint it and what color.

any ideas? I am getting it because i have grand kids i want to drive around and my Lignite cart is a one person cart. so i don't know whether to make it colorful or stain it?? any ideas. be back soon

Want you all to know that my friend got the rein in the keeper for me. i do like those reins , they are cotton. pictures coming next week.

Latest posts

Back