With your help made my decision

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shortpig

Reaction score
So my boy is now 18yo. I have no intentions of ever breeding again. He isn't the most active horse in the world so my concern is keeping him moving after the gelding procedure so he drains properly and heals to be a healthy happy gelding. This has nothing to do with attitude if this horse got any calmer and sweeter I would have to carry him around. He is my driving horse and is always watching whoever is in the cart to make sure they are ok. He is an amazing animal.

Would you consider driving a horse that has been gelded after the first week just to keep him moving as he isn't big on the concept of runnning in a circle.

What issues have others dealt with that I should be aware of. I've heard such horror stories. This year I can take the time off of work to keep him moving and care for him. And I will believe me.

I just think it would be great if he could live out his years with the heard including his mares and daughter not have to be separated. Besides the skies the limit for us if we could go drive with others.

Believe me if anything happened because of my choices it would break my heart. Hes the horse in my Avatar.

Marie

Last edited by a moderator:
I just gelded my 15 year old stallion at the end of January and he is doing WONDERFUL. My vet gelded him on Friday and kept him until Monday so when he came home he was all done with meds. He didn't have alot of swelling and moved around on his own (large stall and turnout weather permitting). I would talk to your vet about driving. The other item you might want to consider is the mud. I know I had to hose my guy down if he got muddy so he could continue to drain. I would also try to do it before the flies come out. I had to wait a month before turning him out with his girls....talked at first then settled right in when he realized he was missing out on food. I would do it again in a heartbeat.....no matter at 15, 17 or 19.

Good luck with whatever decision you make!

kareng

I just gelded an eleven yr old last week, and he is doing great as well. He was very sore the first day or so (must have been, it's the first time I've seen him stand still for long lol) but very minimal swelling. Because of his age I did put him on SMZ just as a precaution (didn't with the yearling I gelded at the same time). The day after gelding I started hand walking him and turning him out in the round pen with just a little work. Yesterday he got a harness for the first time, and will be working from now on. In other words, I think it's important to keep them moving but be sensitive to how much your individual horse can take. If your guy is used to driving then he'd probably be fine to drive after a few days, just take your cue from his behavior.

I'm so glad I had this done - I've debated it for a year, am not using him much as a stallion and I think he'll have a much better quality of life once he can be turned out with a companion. FYI, I do go by the Almanace recommended days...neither of mine had any swelling or complications.

Jan

FYI, I do go by the Almanace recommended days...neither of mine had any swelling or complications.Jan

Do they suggest what days are the best for gelding horses? That's amazing to me. He's happy with his companion which is his son but I would like to just see them all together enjoying each other. Plus I feel I could do more with him in the future. He looks great and is strong and healthy.

The Vet Tech just text me (She took care of them when Koda was Gelded and was great). She said he should first have blood work done because of his age. She knows me well and doesn't want anything to happen to my boy.

Thanks for the input it is really helping.

From Me and Jimmy.

Some swear by the almanac. Some pooh pooh.

I've tried to do the almanac with my last 2 geldings and both went well. One was a 9 year old stallion. He didn't even swell.

http://www.almanac.com/bestdays/timetable

"They" say, it is better to do it on the days BEFORE the ideal days if you can't do it ON the ideal days. Never AFTER the ideal days. Something to do with what part of the body the blood is in, I think.

I have only ever had one "older" stallion gelded thus far...all others have been sucklings, weanlings, and yearlings. I thought that the older boy (aged 7, I think he was) showed more pain reaction, and swelling than the youngsters. That said however, after a couple/few days, he was doing great. Of all the horses I have had gelded, I have never hosed any of them down, nor exercised them. It is enough to have them out just grazing...just moving around the pasture is enough. They don't have to be trotted etc., at least not according to the vets that have done all my horses.

I will be facing this again on Wednesday, as I will be having my 10 year old BTU son gelded. I must admit though, I do feel more sorry for the older boys when they are gelded, vs the youngsters. Hope my guy does OK on Wednesday! My fingers are crossed! He, I am sure, will be wishing he'd have had the "Luck of the Irish" on St. Patricks Day instead of spending it being gelded!
default_wink.png
Good Luck with your guy!
default_luck.gif

So the Farmers Almanac says it should be done on April 8th and 9th, Hopefully it wouldn't hurt to do it that week. I wash hoping to do it on a Monday and that would give me one whole week off of work to take care of him full time. He's going to need lots and lots of hugs, kisses and treats. Then he will need to watch his diet because he might start to get a little plump. Especially if he gets any lazier. God Help Me!

Honestly, I have never, ever enforced exercise on any animal I have had gelded.

I think it is a rotten thing to do!

If there were a problem and the Vet told me to, OK, but I just make sure they are comfortable, give them a nice deep straw (shavings sticks) bed, and access to outside, and leave them alone.

I have had seven week old thought to seventeen year old animals done, and have always managed them pretty much the same.

My Vets do not encourage hosing, if you are not using sterile water (which you are not) you can actually encourage infection, and, anyway, it slows the healing process.

Leave it alone, interfere as little as possible, stick you head up there,( since he is reliable, do not do this with a youngster!!) and smell it once a day, and just leave him be.

He should have Bute for the pain....it is a good anti inflammatory, better than Banamine, and so long as you give him something for the stomach (live yogurt is good, gastroguard is better, but remember to give it after the Bute, not before) he will be OK.

Good Luck, you are doing the right thing for your boy.

If he's walking around, it's generally enough to help with swelling and keeping the incision open to drain. Unless he gets the incision dirty, the hosing is as much to keep the drainage from drying and closing it too soon as anything......plus washing of the drainage from his legs, etc, to prevent flies, drying on there, etc. A warm, wet cloth can take care of that very nicely. Most of mine have had minimal draining issues, little swelling and rarely daily hosing but, daily cloth wipe and check. Did have a friend whose donk dried over and wow, lots of collection/swelling in a short time. I went over and hosed him back open, after that he had no issues. So, keep an eye on it and all will be well.

A simple walk should be enough to keep him comfy if he's in a stall or dry lot and he really is just standing still.

We gelded our 15 year old stallion without a problem. We didn't push him to exercise but gave him plenty of room to move around with horses on the other side of the fence. He got a dose of banamine for the first two days and seemed fine after.

Most do GREAT! But it is those few horror stories we here about. I would say in our local community you here of one terrible story within our comminity that have trouble. Sounds like your vet is right on, wanting to run a blood panel first.

The hospital we deal with keeps them overnight and his fees are great. Would that be possible considering his age?

Other then that all can reccomend is limitted exercise and cold hosing.

If you are going by the almanac, they say if possible to use the earlier days suggested. The later you wait the less the benefit.

Jan

After all your help and that of my Vet Tech I have decided this is the year. I am hoping to get him gelded in April.

Before the flys and hot weather sets in. That way also I might be able to get him out this season for some fun driving along with Ariel and The Duck.

My Vet Tech who knows me too well has stated very clearly. I will have him dropped off. I will not be on the premises when he is being gelded. Any shot they would give to me would not be in the cheek of my face. She knows I will be a total basket case during this surgery. She truly understands my attachment to this horse. She did let me know of my thoughts about coming in after surgery with cookies and attention and acting like I had nothing to do with the surgery. I would be his saviour from these horrible human beings who had done this to him. Her words aren't nice enough to repeat on a public forum by the way.

My daughter also said (when I asked) No to him having the spare bedroom for a couple weeks so we can keep a close eye on him. Silly Girl!

I'm sure all will go well and he will heal and be a happy healthy gelding. He will then be able to run with the mares and so will Koda as he has had to live with his Sire to keep him company. I will then have two geldings and three mares and no more breeding for me just driving horses.

I really appreciate all of you and your support and trust me I will sooo need that support when the time comes. Who knows someday you might see my boy at one of the shows in the area.

So tell me what do you think of this driving pair of geldings, father and son.

KodaandJimmy002-1.jpg

I think you are going to have so much fun with them it just isn't fair!!
default_wink.png

Back